View Poll Results: Do you prefer watch Anime to be subtitled or dubbed in English?

Voters
1982. You may not vote on this poll
  • Subbed - I like the original voices

893 45.06%
  • Dubbed - I don't want to have to read

465 23.46%
  • I want to be able to choose either one

396 19.98%
  • I don't care either way

228 11.50%
Page 54 of 104 FirstFirst ... 44450515253545556575864 ... LastLast
Results 1,326 to 1,350 of 2595

Thread: Like anime subbed or dubbed? ~ Where the concept of Uncut DVDs still hasn't sank in.

I prefer subs because I'm actually learning Japanese. My father teaches English in Japan, so when I go to visit him I hope to know some conversational Japanese.

It's best to see the usage in animes like Azumanga Daioh, because my dad lives in Osaka.
    Did you hear about the time I hated Sonic even though I'm a massive furfag? Good times.

Quote Originally Posted by Hyendae View Post
    I prefer subs because I'm actually learning Japanese. My father teaches English in Japan, so when I go to visit him I hope to know some conversational Japanese.

It's best to see the usage in animes like Azumanga Daioh, because my dad lives in Osaka.
    In all honesty, you're better off learning Japanese in Osaka. Most of the stuff you're going to pick up from anime you won't actually need to use.
    Your image was too big. Read the rules before you add anything new to your sig.

Quote Originally Posted by Staryu_09 View Post
    I said that's only my view. If you prefer dubbed, then watch them dubbed or whatever. Okay? You can't say that the original is worse than the dubbed. Then what? What's the problem that I like the original/subbed.

Well, that's only your view. I don't even think that I sounded cool or whatever, but if you think...
    The English dubs of Cowboy Bebop, FLCL, and The Big O are generally considered superior to their Japanese predecessors.

Gaze ye upon perfection and kill yourself

locke.yggdrasill says:
    Justin's got his shet straight when he says I come at the weirdest things.

Quote Originally Posted by Archimedes View Post
    The English dubs of Cowboy Bebop, FLCL, and The Big O are generally considered superior to their Japanese predecessors.
    And for the Japanophiles out there, FLCL's dub has the honourifics intact. Oh, and Hellsing, mainly because it's set in friggin' England.

Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    In all honesty, you're better off learning Japanese in Osaka. Most of the stuff you're going to pick up from anime you won't actually need to use.
    True, but I may end up going to school there.

I'm using Rosetta Stone too, so it's not just anime.
    Did you hear about the time I hated Sonic even though I'm a massive furfag? Good times.

Poor Pokemon anime I can say in my opinion...
    Video 1
    Video 2
    And it's not only that...
    There's Yu-Gi-Oh!, One Piece, Naruto and other shonen animes sounding like cartoons.
    For serious adult anime shows like Texhnolyze, Death Note, Ghost in the Shell, Wolf's Rain and etc, okey, they're not like that. They just can't be changed because the plot will be stupid if they was.

Do you know that a lot of anime fans seriously think that Pokemon isn't anime? But it's anime after all...

Quote Originally Posted by Sogeking View Post
    The thing is about 70% of answers are usually really stupid reasons, like plot change, because that never happens anymore.
    And I don't think that the plot change is stupid reason...
    Staryu_09
    Mystic Water

The Real World is crying for so much more...

And I don't think that the plot change is stupid reason...
    It is considering it doesn't happen anymore. Name 1 anime in the past 5 years where the dub changes the plot.

And 4Kids doesn't count, since they're the black sheep of dubbing.

That does go without saying. It varies between countries.

Eh? Oh, right, you mean the Spanish dub.
    Ehhhhhhhhh??? O_oU Mexican dubb please ^_^ even English dubb is better than Spanish dubb

Quote Originally Posted by Sogeking View Post
    It is considering it doesn't happen anymore. Name 1 anime in the past 5 years where the dub changes the plot.

And 4Kids doesn't count, since they're the black sheep of dubbing.
    And Shin-chan doesn't count either. It was just asking for it :P
    Animal Crossing: New Leaf Blog (@AsrialysAC) | Pokemon Center Plush Collection (as of 10/19/2010) | Nintendo Network ID: Asrialys

Most cool animes are japanese ones, and I dont want to rea what im seeing >.> I just want to hear what they are saying. don't care about their voices xD

~Dubbed~
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    Nintendo 3DS FC: 4425-1490-2598
    Nickname:Nasser

Safari Type: Psychic
    Safari Pokemons: Abra, Sigilyph, and Gothorita

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Quote Originally Posted by PokeCrossbow View Post
    Most cool animes are japanese ones, and I dont want to rea what im seeing >.> I just want to hear what they are saying. don't care about their voices xD

~Dubbed~
    I facepalmed so hard I smashed through the wall behind me.

Gaze ye upon perfection and kill yourself

locke.yggdrasill says:
    Justin's got his shet straight when he says I come at the weirdest things.

Quote Originally Posted by Archimedes View Post
    I facepalmed so hard I smashed through the wall behind me.
    Mine broke the sound barrier.

I like subbbed because the characters sound right and it is the original and the wording is better unlike dubbing which gets the words wrong
    [img]http://i43.*******.com/21exeg2.png[/img]

Credit to zhanton for Banner
    FC (Blaze): 4082-6986-3403

Quote Originally Posted by treespyro View Post
    I like subbbed because the characters sound right and it is the original and the wording is better unlike dubbing which gets the words wrong
    Hey, the English language screws everything up. They mispronounce "journal" and steal words. But it doesn't happen in most dubs nowadays. Actually watch them plz.

Why do people insist on putting their heads in the '80's and '90's when dubbing was a hit-and-miss affair? Why? Can someone please answer me why they keep looking at past dubs as the answer to their question?

I voted dubbed for multiple reasons. One being that its harder to gather the emotions of the characters when simply reading the text at the bottom of your screen. Also, it just puts the show in a context you can relate to when the characters are speaking your language. And not to sound rascist, but all the Japanese voices to me seem so similar, unnatural, and over dramatic. For example if you think Ash's voice sounds feminine try watching an undubbed DBZ episode where Goku, one of the manliest and powerful characters of all time is speaking Japanese like a 12 year old Japanese school girl flapping her mouth at the speed of light.

Hey, the English language screws everything up. They mispronounce "journal" and steal words. But it doesn't happen in most dubs nowadays. Actually watch them plz.

Why do people insist on putting their heads in the '80's and '90's when dubbing was a hit-and-miss affair? Why? Can someone please answer me why they keep looking at past dubs as the answer to their question?
    Newbies to the massive community of anime watchers see a bandwagon and jump on it.
    Animal Crossing: New Leaf Blog (@AsrialysAC) | Pokemon Center Plush Collection (as of 10/19/2010) | Nintendo Network ID: Asrialys

Quote Originally Posted by D!3g0 View Post
    i just finished to watch all of the epis of Evangelion with english dubb and well no offense but it sound it so fake..um please tell me not all of the english dubb are like these you know that sound like little cartoon´s D:
    Good job complaining about an early anime dub.

I like only the original and subbed versions. The whole anime is changed to me if it's dubbed. And most of them suck dubbed. I also dislike dubbed versions because so many scenes are cut and that ruin the anime story. That's only my view of course.
    Good job complaining about broadcast edited dubs when just about everything is available uncut on DVD.

Quote Originally Posted by Hyendae View Post

Chôshi ni noru na yo, kusoyarô!

Seriously though, learning Japanese through just watching anime is retarded.

Quote Originally Posted by treespyro View Post
    Too bad you can't get your own wording right.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkDragonite. View Post
    And not to sound rascist, but all the Japanese voices to me seem so similar, unnatural, and over dramatic. For example if you think Ash's voice sounds feminine try watching an undubbed DBZ episode where Goku, one of the manliest and powerful characters of all time is speaking Japanese like a 12 year old Japanese school girl flapping her mouth at the speed of light.
    FUUUUUNNY that you mention being overdramatic, seeing as how English Goku has a tendency to grunt more times than he should be and has the acting skills of a chimp (yes, I realize the irony in what I just said regarding the character).

And I can't recall when Goku was ever meant to be the epitome of manliness. Good job believing Goku's supposed to sound like a generic, goody-two shoes super hero when Masako Nozawa portrayed him as a naive adult with a pure heart and child-like attitude, the way Toriyama intended him to be.
    [IMG]http://i52.*******.com/v6t8cg.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://i54.*******.com/28cec2e.jpg[/IMG]

3DS FC: 3222-6347-6877 | Nintendo Network ID: Tsukento

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Old Man View Post

Soo what it dosen´t matter if is an early anime dub, when is a good dub is a good dub no matter in what year was made

And you know i can also complaing about Death Note´s dub that´s not an early anime dub and still sounds as fake as Evangelion´s dub

That's a good one, considering Evangelion's dub was done around the time when anime was starting to pick up in popularity. The acting in Evangelion is WAAAAAY different than that in Death Note.
    [IMG]http://i52.*******.com/v6t8cg.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://i54.*******.com/28cec2e.jpg[/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by D!3g0 View Post
    Soo what it dosen´t matter if is an early anime dub, when is a good dub is a good dub no matter in what year was made

And you know i can also complaing about Death Note´s dub that´s not an early anime dub and still sounds as fake as Evangelion´s dub
    I think you are a fake.

That's a good one, considering Evangelion's dub was done around the time when anime was starting to pick up in popularity. The acting in Evangelion is WAAAAAY different than that in Death Note.
    well in other countries the best dub´s were when animé was satrting to pick up popularity =D soo yeah lol

That Scary Clefairy "i think you are a fake"

Really!! ohh my god i can´t belive it thank you That Scary Clefairy that is....really nice of you!! it´s ok that you don´t like my personal opinion...but thanks =)

Just because it's that way in Mexico doesn't mean it applies in the US.

Good job complaining about broadcast edited dubs when just about everything is available uncut on DVD.

Chôshi ni noru na yo, kusoyarô!

Seriously though, learning Japanese through just watching anime is retarded.

Too bad you can't get your own wording right.

FUUUUUNNY that you mention being overdramatic, seeing as how English Goku has a tendency to grunt more times than he should be and has the acting skills of a chimp (yes, I realize the irony in what I just said regarding the character).

And I can't recall when Goku was ever meant to be the epitome of manliness. Good job believing Goku's supposed to sound like a generic, goody-two shoes super hero when Masako Nozawa portrayed him as a naive adult with a pure heart and child-like attitude, the way Toriyama intended him to be.
    Id rather have him grunting then sounding like a Japanese school girl.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkDragonite. View Post
    Id rather have him grunting then sounding like a Japanese school girl.
    The point just went flying over your head. He's meant to sound like he does in the Japanese version. Chris knows a little bit more about Dragonball than you; and I wonder why he stopped using size 1 font.

The point just went flying over your head. He's meant to sound like he does in the Japanese version. Chris knows a little bit more about Dragonball than you; and I wonder why he stopped using size 1 font.
    I was being ironical. I understand that's the intention but that was my entire point. Something is lost in translation which either makes the show better or worse. Goku in the dubbed version from my perspective achieved a personal arete of sorts. He was moral, strong, and loyal. The qualities of the ultimate man. I probably should have said "ultimate" instead of "manly" which implies a muscle builder with stereotypical male qualities. While the character shares those exact same characteristics in the Japanese version, the feminine voice makes those qualities harder to convey to an English speaking audience.

Page 54 of 104 FirstFirst ... 44450515253545556575864 ... LastLast