View Poll Results: Do you prefer watch Anime to be subtitled or dubbed in English?

Voters
1982. You may not vote on this poll
  • Subbed - I like the original voices

893 45.06%
  • Dubbed - I don't want to have to read

465 23.46%
  • I want to be able to choose either one

396 19.98%
  • I don't care either way

228 11.50%
Page 93 of 104 FirstFirst ... 4383899091929394959697103 ... LastLast
Results 2,301 to 2,325 of 2595

Thread: Like anime subbed or dubbed? ~ Where the concept of Uncut DVDs still hasn't sank in.

Quote Originally Posted by Evilchibi_pichu View Post
    Agreeing with Chris as Ryo Horikawa (who plays Hattori in the above show) also has a better English than native speakers!
    Ain't that the truth: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBi_bYRYAKw

3DS FC: 3222-6347-6877 | Nintendo Network ID: Tsukento

Quote Originally Posted by Rohanator View Post
    It depends on the show. Yu-Gi-Oh! for example just has a terrible dub(although there are a couple voices I like, particularly Bakura) so I pretty much always watch it in Japanese. Dragonball/Z(my favourite anime) is better in Japanese too but the dub is still bearable sometimes, especially the new DBZ Kai dub. Old Pokemon is watchable in either language but newer seasons, especially DP I just can't properly enjoy dubbed, mostly cause of the music changes. Luckily, the BW dub is doing a much better job.
    It's funny that you find Yu-gi-oh! having a terrible dub while mentioning Z's as largely tolerable (I agree with the later, though), as I always found Yu-gi-oh! having great VAs but an iffy script, while DBZ was often iffy on both ends.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Ryo Horikawa > Chris Sabat

As much as he's improved over the years, Chris Sabat can NOT touch Ryo Horikawa when it comes to Vegeta.

And most fans of the Japanese version already know about the 8,000 line,.
    The one thing from Horikawa I can never buy is the moments when Vegeta's acting like a big baby; it could just be Sabat's initial inexperience accidentally winning the day. That and Horikawa's doing the character so well otherwise.

Mind BLOWN

^ Never underestimate the ability of 1 Megabyte to bring out every emotion imaginable.

I used to prefer watching subtitled Animé, but nowadays I don't care either way. Most of the Animé I watch are still subtitled though, both because I originally started out watching the subtitled version of that Animé and am thus more used to the Japanese voices for its characters, and also because the subtitled episodes are far ahead of the dubbed episodes.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsirius View Post
    The one thing from Horikawa I can never buy is the moments when Vegeta's acting like a big baby; it could just be Sabat's initial inexperience accidentally winning the day. That and Horikawa's doing the character so well otherwise.
    What exactly do you mean?

What exactly do you mean?
    I always imagine Horikawa at his best when Vegeta's at his best; overpowering an enemy, completely in control of the situation at hand, or confident enough in himself to screw the odds (Usually ending in failure). When Vegeta deviates from that, such as his failed attempt at composure in Movie 12, Horikawa just doesn't seem to do it for me, while Sabat seems to be able to pull off a WTF reaction just fine. The only time I recall really believing a Japanese Vegeta freak out was in Son Goku and Friends return, and you really couldn't mess up the expression any decent VA has to work with there.

^ Never underestimate the ability of 1 Megabyte to bring out every emotion imaginable.

I wanna have the choice to watch either, because there are some animes which I vastly prefer dubbed (Monster, Evangelion, most hentais) and there are others that can only be fully enjoyed in their original language/can't find dubbed (Black Jack, Higurashi, most animes dubbed by 4Kids). The anime site I usually use allows you to watch with either subs or dubs, so if I wanna watch either then I'll watch either.

"History is a nightmare from which I am trying to awake."

I'll get bashed for saying this but i like the dub over sub.
    Ducks.
    3DS FC: 3652-1012-6122

Baking Soda, I got Baking Soda!

If it's got a GOOD dubbed version then i'll watch that one. Like Sgt, Frog.

"i unno man im just a pawniard"

vvv Lookie
    VO Clan/VO Xat/VO Battle Spreadsheet

For me it depends on anime and dub companies. Some dub companies can be misleading through pointless edits and dialogue alterations. In general I prefer dubbed versions but exceptions exist.

Credit for the banner goes to T-B0ne27

I'm not 100% certain because it would be nice to not have to read everything. If the English voices were really bad, then I'd prefer subbed, if not then I'd prefer dubbed. If I had to choose between the two, I'd probably prefer an anime being dubbed. D:

[IMG]http://i55.*******.com/24ni8gz.png[/IMG]
    Dracaena - Giovanni Rank

0647 - 8370 - 0522

OSL GYM LEADER # 8 - FLYING

I always imagine Horikawa at his best when Vegeta's at his best; overpowering an enemy, completely in control of the situation at hand, or confident enough in himself to screw the odds (Usually ending in failure). When Vegeta deviates from that, such as his failed attempt at composure in Movie 12, Horikawa just doesn't seem to do it for me, while Sabat seems to be able to pull off a WTF reaction just fine. The only time I recall really believing a Japanese Vegeta freak out was in Son Goku and Friends return, and you really couldn't mess up the expression any decent VA has to work with there.
    There's a reason for that. Back then, they had to basically record their lines sometimes without even using the footage in front of them, as Toei outsources its animation from time to time. That or there are times where the animation isn't ready. Whereas the dub has full access to the footage since it's already complete.

Either way, I have you beat. Ryo Horikawa still beats Chris Sabat in sounding out of character with "Vegeta-sama's Cooking Hell": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gFhZJ0SISM

In my opinion I gotta go with sub and ONLY SUB. I will only watch DUB if it ends up on TV (yea TV and computer are 2 diff things) the voices are better than DUB, DUB (like a certain channel every Saturday *idk if im aloud to say it*) edit scenes that are pointless -.- so I gotta go with SUB. DUB would just ruin everything.

There's a reason for that. Back then, they had to basically record their lines sometimes without even using the footage in front of them, as Toei outsources its animation from time to time. That or there are times where the animation isn't ready. Whereas the dub has full access to the footage since it's already complete.

Either way, I have you beat. Ryo Horikawa still beats Chris Sabat in sounding out of character with "Vegeta-sama's Cooking Hell": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gFhZJ0SISM
    That would probably help; when I found out that dub actors get to use their footage while recording, it seemed an unfair advantage.

As for Vegeta's culinary escapades, you amaze me again. 5 Stars, Mr. Horikawa, 5 stars.

Quote Originally Posted by MuffinPaula View Post
    In my opinion I gotta go with sub and ONLY SUB. I will only watch DUB if it ends up on TV (yea TV and computer are 2 diff things) the voices are better than DUB, DUB (like a certain channel every Saturday *idk if im aloud to say it*) edit scenes that are pointless -.- so I gotta go with SUB. DUB would just ruin everything.
    Guess the title of this thread still applies to certain people. There are fewer anime that get edited these days. Stop watching 4Kids dubs and try actually watching other anime dubs.

Complaining about edits is pretty stupid if all you're going to watch are dubs aired on television. Ever heard of the FCC?
    Tales of REDPLICAAAAAA!
    Anime Blog [x] Art [0] Bishoujou [0] BMGf [x] LiveJournal [x] Eggbear! [x] Credit [n/a]
    .UVERworld。

I sometimes do both, but I prefer dubs than subs most of the time. Only if I can't stand the English voice actors (I hate Negi Springfield's dubbed voice in Negima), or if there's no dub, will I watch it subbed.

subbed-its more original then cause dubbed there mouths are messed up

Quote Originally Posted by 3raser View Post
    subbed-its more original then cause dubbed there mouths are messed up
    Dubbers actually pay more attention to the mouth movements than the Japanese staff, who just run audio tracks over the animation. Watch any episode of Bleach subbed and you'll see what I mean.
    Your image was too big. Read the rules before you add anything new to your sig.

It's funny that you find Yu-gi-oh! having a terrible dub while mentioning Z's as largely tolerable (I agree with the later, though), as I always found Yu-gi-oh! having great VAs but an iffy script, while DBZ was often iffy on both ends.

Mind BLOWN
    Well I wouldn't say LARGELY tolerable but it's not all bad. Some voices are good and you have the option of watching it with the original music, something that would really make the YGO dub at least watchable to me. But yeah, Japanese Dbz is still much better imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebecca R. View Post
    The on;y thing I remember Kanto keeping were some route pieces and some of the battle music. Though, I don't know what you mean by removing movie themes but I guess you're talking about the lyrical pieces?
    I think they kept pretty much all battle music in Kanto, and most others too. If you go listen to the Original series Sountrack, there's only a few that were not at some point used in the dub. They did make a lot of stupid replacements though and always filled silent moments with some other random music.

And by movie themes I mean the BGMs of the movies. For example, when Ash's Torterra battles Paul's Drapion, the Japanese version plays the music from movie 9 where Ash is trying to fix the sea crown, this and most other cases of using movie music are absent in the dub while they keep stuff like the Sinnoh Elite 4 theme or pretty much any other music that is based on the games and was made for the actual episodes.
    Might as well link my Deviantart gallery, I mainly do Pokemon related stuff, maybe something'll catch your interest.:] http://rohanite.deviantart.com/gallery/

Ash vs Korrina Alternate Ending Comic: http://rohanite.tumblr.com/post/8546...e-with-korrina

This is Turtwig, he was the most under appreciated starter in Diamond & Pearl. If you picked Turtwig as your starter, put this in your sig. Started by Dax-360

Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    Dubbers actually pay more attention to the mouth movements than the Japanese staff, who just run audio tracks over the animation. Watch any episode of Bleach subbed and you'll see what I mean.
    As mentioned before, this is largely due to animation being done at the same time as voice work in Japan. But yeah, mouth flaps tend to work better in dubs.

I honestly don't care either way, as long as they're both well done.

The obvious exception to this is the original version of One Piece compared to the 4Kids version of One Piece. I couldn't stand that dubbed version, and prefer to watch the subbed version on Viz's website.

Third Gen: 60 • Fourth Gen: 89 • Fifth Gen: 64 • Sixth Gen: 65
    Kanto: 53 • Johto: 45 • Hoenn: 63 • Sinnoh: 45 • Unova: 45 • Kalos: 27

Level 100 Pokémon #279: Bob Ross, the Smeargle
    Level: 65 • Exp.: 229,531 / 800,000 (28.69%) • Exp. Multiplier: 1.35x
    Move Set: Swift, Storm Throw, Shadow Sneak, Spore
    Ability: Technician • Nature: Lonely

Quote Originally Posted by The Red Thunder View Post
    I honestly don't care either way, as long as they're both well done.

The obvious exception to this is the original version of One Piece compared to the 4Kids version of One Piece. I couldn't stand that dubbed version, and prefer to watch the subbed version on Viz's website.
    1) 4Kids' dub is LONG irrelevant.
    2) FUNimation's dub of the series is the best alternative.
    3) Viz isn't the one hosting One Piece; FUNimation is.

It actually depends on which one I watch first. If I start with sub, I stay with sub. If I start with dub, I stay with dub. Unless the one I start with has ridiculous sounding characters.

I prefer subbed anime over dubbed. If I'm watching with friends, then I'll watch dubbed, since most of my friends prefer dubs. Usually, though, I won't go out of my way to watch a dub myself unless I'm extremely crazy about the anime in its subbed format or I'm just curious to see what the dubbed voices sound like.

Subbed Original Is Always Better

0518-8443-8431
    My Time

Page 93 of 104 FirstFirst ... 4383899091929394959697103 ... LastLast