Thread: Would the series suffer from going at it with a plot angle?

Default Would the series suffer from going at it with a plot angle?

My question is would the anime do better with a plot rather then one plot episodes? I think they were going that way and testing the waters in DP but BW seems more one shot plots. What I'm saying is would the anime be better by like for example not just sticking to the games but fleshing everything out more? I feel if they did this we would not get so many fillers and people would not complain about certain older people not being it or something. So not really stick to the games strictly but instead use it as a platform but have plots rather then one episode plots. Would this kill the series or make it a bit more fresh?

It seems to me the better the games were, the worse the anime got.

In OS pokemon was just getting established so they treated the anime less like a blatant marketing tool and more of a showcase.

In Johto the fad was in full swing so the writers slacked off.

In Hoenn the fad started to wear off so they put more effort in it.

In Sinnoh people were dissapointed with the 3rd gen(OMG WATER) and they knew pokemon's popularity could single handedly make the DS sell. And so they put more effort in both.

In Unova the games are selling better than ever and no longer is dependent on the anime as much so they're slacking off again.

It'd be great for each generation to have both a linear and episodic plot where things happen yet we have take break (not too long though like Johto).

You got that right! The Legend of Korra is returning on October 3rd! Mark your calendars!

The thing about long runners like Pokemon is that people drop and pick up the anime all the time. The current format is best for them because they can start at the beginning of the current region and catch up relatively quickly without having to dig through ten years of material. Maybe an overall arch that stretches across the region but we've already gotten that. It's just not something that motivates Ash as a person and gets him going but more of a side story for the older audience.

They tried it in Sinnoh, but since it went on for 4 years I imagine little kids couldn't follow it.

I think the reason why BW seems so "simple" compared to DP is that kids couldn't follow what was going on last gen.

If by plot you mean a story that takes an entire season to tell (like say, something involving the villains), then no. I think the best way to go is to have a good mix of mini-plots and regular episodes; something everyone can enjoy. It would be nice if those mini-plots revolved around something other than battles though. If they need bigger plots, then they should just up the ante of the movies already.
    I am the current leader of Save Our Voice Actors, a Pokemon fan group supporting the voice actors in the anime dubbed by 4Kids (seasons 1-8). Our goal is to provide The Pokemon Company international with encouraging feedback in support of returning the main cast members. If you're interested, please visit us at facebook.com/saveourvoiceactors

they could have done better without following the games but the kids like it if they travel in the same region or catch same pokemon.
    So there

I feel like part of the problem is that they don't follow the games enough, and maybe that's why there's so many fillers. On the other hand, they don't take the show in a completely new direction either so they can't do anything super random either.

The way I see it, about the only thing that the show really follows from the games is the badge collecting. Ash does this in every region just like you do in the games, and that's why he's the main character. However, just going from gym to gym doesn't last very long. There would certainly be no need to have more than 1 season per region, and honestly, would probably last no more than 30ish episodes. However, there are many good series that are that concise. If you slapped all the regions together, that'd account for ~150 episodes so far. 5 seasons. Not too bad at all.

With this format, I feel like if they added some of the events that happen in game into the mix as well (especially in like... 5th gen. They did quite a lot for inbetween gym events) They might be able to bump that number up even higher while still holding a decent series. Or, on the other hand, they could also just come up with a new plot angle like the OP suggests and be well off too. Of course, their current formula works... It's just not the best way that they could go with the series, entertainment wise. And honestly I'm no expert in business or sales or anything, so I don't know if the series would really suffer that much from changing, but it's definitely very consistent as it is now... unfortunately.
    "Strong Pokémon. Weak Pokémon. That is only the selfish perception of people. Truly skilled trainers should try to win with their favorites." -Karen

Spoiler:- CG Stuff:

A season-long plot might make it harder to pick-up-and watch, but it probably wouldn't hurt the series. If anything, it wuld force people to see every episode, which would be good for ratings.
    † I am a Christian and proud of it! Copy and paste this into your sig if you are too.†

I must say I am disappointed in the current season, it seemed rushed to me.

I agree that a longer plot would probably benefit them in the long run, but you can't forget that the base audience might not want to sit and watch every episode to understand what is going on, they are trying to cater to everyone.

I believe like HyperLugia said the anime docent follow the game at all except for the badges that's it, the Pokemon anime has been recycling the same formula for years and it's starting to ware off. a long story plot would be way better mixed with a mini plot why? it would make people wanting to watch more by not knowing what to expect and giving them the feeling of wanting to know more.

it would be nice if they stop doing what they did in passed Gen's with the recycling of the events of the games and making the anime have its own thing and making the battles alot more serius and following more the game not those cheap battles like the ones for example...

Ash's Palpitoad vs Burgundy's Stoutland

I understand that Ash's Pokemon's are you know "powerful" and they don't need type advantage but e.e making the battles more credible and more game type would be wonderful, honestly Stoutland should of been the one victorious the writes could of made use of other Pokemon that could have made the battle more credible but they choose not to same thing with the battle of

Gurdurr vs dwebble(when Gurdurr had the type advantage since he is resistance to Rock, Bug and Dark;refracing it wasn't weak to Dwebbles attacks, while Dwebble should of taken much more damage than Gurdurr did)

These little things are the ones who pretty much affect the series in a way, thats why I say they should make it more like the games to make it more exiting and breaking the rules now and then would be nice but these stunts are pull all the time which is pretty horrendous.

Second option:

Take Ash out of the anime after best wishes and have a different protagonist every generation for people to get to know them and have also something to look forward to similar to what happened with the animated Crystal animated series(by the name Pokemon Chronicles).
    Last edited by Tamer Hamlet; 7th November 2012 at 9:34 PM.
    Pokemon Black 2 Team:

(Jormungandr)(Skoll)(Niohoggr)(Sleipnir)(Hel)(Fimbulvetr)

Quote Originally Posted by Coyote_Dynamo View Post
    I agree that a longer plot would probably benefit them in the long run, but you can't forget that the base audience might not want to sit and watch every episode to understand what is going on, they are trying to cater to everyone.
    With all the kid Anime that has storylines and overarcing plots with more meat to them, I think they'll be fine. Hell, we have 'em here in America too.

You got that right! The Legend of Korra is returning on October 3rd! Mark your calendars!

Quote Originally Posted by Coyote_Dynamo View Post
    I must say I am disappointed in the current season, it seemed rushed to me.

I think you're underestimating the intelligence level of the target demographic. Alot of cartoons have more complicated plots that deal with serious subject matter. And kids get along fine with it.

It just seems like Pokemon is a little behind the curve when it comes to that. Granted, I think they've gotten a little better over the years, but there's so much more they could do with Pokemon's plot. Maybe a villain that lasts more than three episodes, or some event that shakes up the status quo.

So in answer to the original question, the short version is no. I don't think it would suffer. Pokemon is one of the most successful franchises in existence. So I imagine that as long as the characters are still catching Pokemon and battling, the series should be pretty safe.
    Last edited by SBaby; 10th November 2012 at 2:50 AM.
    A Winner Is You!!!

If you spend too much time thinking about a thing, you'll never get it done.
    - Bruce Lee

The worst thing you can do in any business is blame the customer.
    - Willie 'Jack' Degel

Yes, the series is episodic, but it's about a JOURNEY. Ash rarely goes to the same location twice. All quest narratives, from Odysseus to King Arthur to Indiana Jones, are a series of little side-stories which give the whole thing its (for lack of a better word) character. While conveniently for the marketing team the episodic structure allows various new species to each have their day in the spotlight, that's how you handle a quest narrative. We've got as much plot as the series needs right now, but admittedly I wish there were more long-running subplots like in DP and Team Plasma but we're hardly without.

Quote Originally Posted by ChaosMage View Post
    Yes, the series is episodic, but it's about a JOURNEY. Ash rarely goes to the same location twice. All quest narratives, from Odysseus to King Arthur to Indiana Jones, are a series of little side-stories which give the whole thing its (for lack of a better word) character. While conveniently for the marketing team the episodic structure allows various new species to each have their day in the spotlight, that's how you handle a quest narrative. We've got as much plot as the series needs right now, but admittedly I wish there were more long-running subplots like in DP and Team Plasma but we're hardly without.
    None of that would change with the inclusion of a major villain. All it would entail is higher stakes than before. Ash could still go from place to place learning about all the different Pokemon, if he had to occasionally protect areas from a villain. I hate to say it, but alot of shows do this, and it doesn't take away from the 'journey' at all.

I think what's keeping them from doing this is the fear of change.
    A Winner Is You!!!

If you spend too much time thinking about a thing, you'll never get it done.
    - Bruce Lee

The worst thing you can do in any business is blame the customer.
    - Willie 'Jack' Degel

IMO, I think that the anime could possibly be better with a plot. But it seems good as it is now, just with Ash going around a Region beating Gyms. But a Plot Change would be very nice and different.

Quote Originally Posted by Savanny
    This place is deader than my pets I have buried in the backyard...

Quote Originally Posted by SBaby View Post
    None of that would change with the inclusion of a major villain. All it would entail is higher stakes than before. Ash could still go from place to place learning about all the different Pokemon, if he had to occasionally protect areas from a villain. I hate to say it, but alot of shows do this, and it doesn't take away from the 'journey' at all.

I think what's keeping them from doing this is the fear of change.
    Exactly. I think it would be nice to have a long arc spreading through a whole region, we'd be constantly looking forward to see how it unfolds and what its conclusion would be, and I don't think it necessarily means we couldn't have episodic adventures anymore.

3DS Friend Code: 3582-9622-5627

I see what you're saying,. The most exciting bits are when they're in the pokemon league or fighting the criminal organizations because it cliff hangs you and makes you want more. Personally I though Johto was very dull this way and the only exciting bits were the whirl Islands and the pokemon league.