Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The lack of electric pokemon on the cast

Default The lack of electric pokemon on the cast

As most people are well aware, we've never seen the gang have an electric pokemon on the cast since Pikahu all the way until DP when Pachirisu was captured. This continued with Emongla, etc. in BW.

Why do you think the writers didn't want any electric pokemon on the cast for the first 9 seasons? It seems odd that because of Pikachu the writers think other electric types, even other electric rodents, cannot get much screentime.

Maybe it was a simple coincidence.

Let me ask you this, why did it take 4 sagas before the main girl got to wear pants?

Quote Originally Posted by pokemonsquared View Post
    Let me ask you this, why did it take 4 sagas before the main girl got to wear pants?
    Indeed.

Still doesn't explain why no other electric types could join the cast though. Even something like Chinchou which was electric/water could have been a Misty capture in Johto.

The vast majority of Electric Types are terrible.

We didn't really have an honest chance for an Electric Type catch until Sinnoh. Misty was there but she caught primary Water Type Pokemon and already had two Pokemon to work with; Poliwag who was wholly underdeveloped until mid-Johto and Corsola to fill her girly quota. The two (because PuraMai is barely two Pokemon) lines of Electric Types in Hoenn were already being showcased by recurring characters. I figure they didn't let May catch a Plusle/Minun because it'd only make sense for her to catch both and they didn't want to run that gimmick. Nothing in Kanto was cute enough for May besides Pikachu itself, and she wasn't gettin' one.

Quote Originally Posted by pokemonsquared View Post
    Most girls in Japan from what I see wear skirts more then people in like the USA do

As for hte OP maybe none were good enough or something

Hey, aren't you guys forgetting Stunfisk? Every main character currently owns an electric type, so I don't see whats the problem XD. As for previous seasons, its likely that it was due to Pikachu, but it still wasn't a significantly noticeable or detracting issue.
    Last edited by Bluelatios*; 2nd November 2012 at 2:59 AM.
    I am the current leader of Save Our Voice Actors, a Pokemon fan group supporting the voice actors in the anime dubbed by 4Kids (seasons 1-8). Our goal is to provide The Pokemon Company international with encouraging feedback in support of returning the main cast members. If you're interested, please visit us at facebook.com/saveourvoiceactors

Pikachu, Emonga, Pachirisu and Maggyo.

Four Electric-Type Pokémon. So no, there is no lack of Pokémon of this type in the main cast.
    If anything, there is a lack of Ghost-, Steel- and Poison-Type Pokémon.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyarlathotep View Post
    Pikachu, Emonga, Pachirisu and Maggyo.

Four Electric-Type Pokémon. So no, there is no lack of Pokémon of this type in the main cast.
    If anything, there is a lack of Ghost-, Steel- and Poison-Type Pokémon.
    And it took 10 years.

Why is it for Kanto through AG only Pikachu was allowed on the main cast as an electric Pokemon?

For that matter Ash was never allowed to capture a second electric type in any region too.

Electric is tied with dark as the 12th most common type out of 17. I suspect them being relatively uncommon had something to do with why it took so long for us to see one on the main cast. Same reason Ash took so long to get any dark or dragon types.

98% of the teenage population has died smoking pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this in your signature.
    Good old natural selection...

Quote Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
    And it took 10 years.

Why is it for Kanto through AG only Pikachu was allowed on the main cast as an electric Pokemon?

For that matter Ash was never allowed to capture a second electric type in any region too.
    It took way more than 10 years for the first Dark-Type Pokémon on the main cast. Why are you not complaining about it?

Quote Originally Posted by Nyarlathotep View Post

It took way more than 10 years for the first Dark-Type Pokémon on the main cast. Why are you not complaining about it?
    Electric pokemon are way more down to earth than dark, dragon, psychic, etc.

Ash should've caught that Luxio back in DP

It annoys me that all the main casts electric types have to be cutey-pies rodent pokemon like Pikachu and the squirrels (Stunfisk you're safe)
    IGN: Carlos
    FC: 0903-2783-6541

[CENTER]SIGNATURE SOON...[/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by Bluelatios* View Post
    Hey, aren't you guys forgetting Stunfisk? Every main character currently owns an electric type, so I don't see whats the problem XD. As for previous seasons, its likely that it was due to Pikachu, but it still wasn't a significantly noticeable or detracting issue.
    Thank you for saving me the trouble of pointing that out

Electric pokemon are way more down to earth than dark, dragon, psychic, etc.
    Uh, no. All types have the same relevance. The thing is that you are probably a Electric-Type fanboy.

IMO the less Electric Pokémon on the case, the better.

What about the super lack of psychic pokemon?

Number of Genwunners = 100
    Number of people accused of being a Genwunner = 100 000 000 000 000 000
    Number of people complaning about Genwunners = 100 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000

I suppose Psychics can be kinda cheap IRL because of how they manipulate rather than flat out attacking (ex. stopping a charging Tauros in its tracks simply by using Psychic). Still, some of the ghosts that don't turn invisible would be fine, and dark types have no problem either. PS; I'm just gonna mention in advance that this thread could easily turn into an argument about Pikachu so lets not go there.
    I am the current leader of Save Our Voice Actors, a Pokemon fan group supporting the voice actors in the anime dubbed by 4Kids (seasons 1-8). Our goal is to provide The Pokemon Company international with encouraging feedback in support of returning the main cast members. If you're interested, please visit us at facebook.com/saveourvoiceactors

I think since electric was pikachu's thing and pikachu was literally the icon for pokemon, it would get in the way of pikachu to add another electric type, or at least i think thats what the creators thought. Heres an idea i've just had though, brock was rock type, but also largely had ground types (the two are so similar even the anime confuses them), misty was water type, and ash had always had the 'electric' label with his personality and pikachu, so;...
    misty (water) beats brock (rock/ground) because brock obsesses over girls, and misty stops him,
    brock (rock/ground) beats ash (electric) because brock is wise and teaches ash,
    ash (electric) beats misty (water) because misty has a soft spot for ash.
    It's just an idea, its kinda like the grass water fire circle, except with the main character's personalities and main types.

I love electric types!!! (as you can probably tell from my sig) I agree, pikachu is cool, but i'm tired with it. There are soooo many other pokemon that could have been caught, mareep, chinchou, voltorb, magnemite, i'd even have settled for electrike!!

Always watching. Always waiting. Never truly at peace in a realm of its own.
    Giratina will return....someday.

Yeah, I believe it's for pikachu mostly. But besides that, there ARE other electric types that have been caught by main characters, like stunfisk by Cilan or emolga by Iris. As for sinnoh, Dawn had an electric type so it wasn't just pikachu. And as for before that, Misty was a water type trainer mostly (then again, she could've caught a lanturn) and Brock was always a rock/ground type trainer with a few exceptions.

I'll update this sometime

Have they ever had more than 1 or 2 characters of the same type?
    † I am a Christian and proud of it! Copy and paste this into your sig if you are too.†

Everyone had at least one Water Type in Hoenn.
    Everyone had at least one Grass Type in Hoenn.
    Everyone had at least one Normal Type in Sinnoh.

Its kinda surprising when you realize Ash has almost as many water pokemon as Misty:

Squirtle, Kingler, Totodile, Corphish, Buizel, Oshawott, Paplitoad and the released Lapras.

I wonder why the writers gave Ash so many water pokemon?

Its kinda surprising when you realize Ash has almost as many water pokemon as Misty:

Squirtle, Kingler, Totodile, Corphish, Buizel, Oshawott, Paplitoad and the released Lapras.

Did you realise all of them (except maybe Lapras) have feet or some sort that helps them walk on land? Ash had never owned a Seaking like pokemon that can't walk on land. It's annoying osmetimes, since I want someone to get Chinochou... and Lanturn can't float on land so less screentime... aww

Credits to Sworn Metalhead

ASB Squad

The fact that they're one of the most common types doesn't hurt.

98% of the teenage population has died smoking pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this in your signature.
    Good old natural selection...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast