View Poll Results: Favorite Mission?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Meteonite

    3 9.68%
  • Nimbasa City Subway

    7 22.58%
  • Milos Island

    1 3.23%
  • The Time Gate

    0 0%
  • Operation Tempest

    20 64.52%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 26

Thread: Favorite Team Rocket Unova Mission (SPOILERS!)

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,226

    Default Favorite Team Rocket Unova Mission (SPOILERS!)

    Now that Team Rocket is officially through with Unova, let's reflect on the five distinct missions they undertook in the region, each built up through a number of episodes and conluding with a two-parter. Which is your favorite and why? If you want to mention least favorite, then by all means do. Sorry, no "all of them" or "none of them" options here.

    The missions are as followed:

    The Meteonite --- 19 episodes. Jessie, James, and Meowth steal energy from the Dreamyard, data from the Antamony Research Center, and a Meteonite fragment from the Nacrene City Museum, all while dealing in secrecy with other agents and avoiding the police. The end result is the discovery of the Meteonite in the Desert Resort, which prompts Giovanni himself to head to Unova. Infamously, this mission's conclusion has been postponed indefinately, but essentially the Meteonite gets destroyed by Ash and Pikachu and Giovanni leaves.

    Nimbasa City Subway --- 8 episodes. Jessie and James hijack the Nimbasa City Subway system and terrorize the city's populance with a "ghost train" while Dr. Zager hides out in Anville Town. When Meowth arrives at the Pokemon Center with Ash's group, he steals all the Pokemon, including Pikachu and the rest, and loads them aboard the "ghost train", which heads to Anville Town to rendevouz with Dr. Zager. Only through some surprising Pokemon training skills from Pikachu and overconfidence on Meowth's part does this mission fail.

    Milos Island --- 5 episodes. Jessie, James, and Meowth break the seals on Tornadus and Thundaras, causing them to be released and fight each other. To save the island, Ash and his friends summon Landorus to stop the other two Legendary Pokemon. Team Rocket steps in to steal all three, but obviously didn't think a good escape plan through, as the Pokemon are freed from Dr. Zager's helicopter rather quickly, causing Team Rocket to make a retreat, with Jessie vowing they'll recapture those Pokemon somehow.

    The Time Gate --- 3 episodes. Dr. Zager has Jessie, James, and Meowth steal superelectric stones from Chargestone Cave and, combining this with data stolen prior to the Nimbasa mission and the dream energy stolen during the Meteonite mission, creates a fossil restoration mission. Reviving a Tirtouga/Carricosta at Twist Mountain, Team Rocket attempts to use it's life force to open the Time Gate in the mountains depths, so that they may amass an army of Pokemon from the prehistoric past. They are defeated and the Time Gate closed.

    Operation Tempest --- 11 episodes. Jessie, James, and Meowth locate and excavate the ruined Undella Bay Temple while Dr. Zager uses spying devices to record the song of Meloetta, the Legendary Pokemon travelling with Ash's group. When all is ready, Giovanni arrives in Unova once again and captures Meloetta. With Meloetta and her song in the temple, Giovanni obtains the Reflecting Mirror, which he uses to summon and control Tornadus, Thundarus, and Landorus. The final battle with Team Rocket in Unova occurs......
    Last edited by AgentPierce; 6th October 2012 at 6:31 AM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,061

    Default

    Operation Tempest for the sole reason that its the only one Giovanni showed up in person for.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,226

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
    Operation Tempest for the sole reason that its the only one Giovanni showed up in person for.
    Er, he showed up in the Meteonite mission too. That not being aired doesn't mean it didn't happen.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Snowfield
    Posts
    6,173

    Default

    My favorite is the Nimbasa City Subway arc. For one, I love Meowth a lot, so seeing him on the main cast through that arc was very enjoyable. Two, the Subway Brothers. Three, just for one moment I thought that Team Rocket could succeed. I knew enough from this show that I knew they wouldn't but I felt engaged within the episode. Four, (admittedly) Dento's fangasm in Anville town sealed the deal.

    I don't really have a least favorite, but I began to lose interest in the TR plot around the first Kami Trio episode.
    Last edited by JennaJayfeather; 6th October 2012 at 6:38 AM.


    “...This is a tricky problem, huh. I really, really want to see the other Heroes... and if it works out, I want to make friends with them! If I made friends with six Heroes, I’d be an awesome mage! We could even conquer the world!”
    -Flatt Escardos, Fate Strange Fake
    3DS Friend Code: 1306-5187-6204
    tumblr|fanfiction

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    6,066

    Default

    At this point, until I see the dub or sub of Tempest and the conclusion of TR vs TP, I may actually have to declare this a three way tie between Tempest, Subway, and Meteonite. It's REALLY close between those 3 at this point. Time Gate is 4th and Kami Trio is 5th. As a TR episode, the Kami Trio episodes weren't as great as they could have been and TR could have done more but as episodes by themselves, I really did enjoy the Milos Island two parter.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,061

    Default

    I actually completely forgot about the ones with the fossils. I guess that proves it was the worst of the bunch, hardly any different than most older episodes where TR steal Pokemon.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    6,066

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
    I actually completely forgot about the ones with the fossils. I guess that proves it was the worst of the bunch, hardly any different than most older episodes where TR steal Pokemon.
    I'd actually put Time Gate above Milos Island for the sole reason that Ash meets Zager so I felt something important happened in these episodes while nothing really happened at Milos Island that was TOO important. Plus, TR put up a WAY better fight during the Time Gate episodes.

    And I want to make a few things clear. This poll is telling us to list our favorite TEAM ROCKET mission so I will judge the episodes based on how much I liked TR's role in each of the two parters. As stand alone episodes, it may be a little harder to pick the worst because I did like the Kami Trio episodes as episodes. Also even though I put Kami Trio as my least favorite, I thought the build up and TR scenes leading up to Milos Island were very epic.
    Last edited by Pokemaniac24; 6th October 2012 at 6:54 AM.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,226

    Default

    Well, given my username, I think I'm going to have to go with the obvious choice: the Meteonite mission.

    While I know it's style wasn't meant to last the whole series, which some people who don't know enough about the production of the anime seem to believe, I can see why there are people who are dissapointed that it didn't. The black uniforms, the secret agent-esque style of Team Rocket's operating, the spy movie-like motto music, the mystery of the unfolding events, the dark shading of scenes, the fact that it moved through many different locations, the fact that Giovanni is giving direct orders to the TRio, the presence of new characters like Pierce, Dr. Zager, Matori, and Team Plasma....it was all very memorable and really kept your interest from start to finish. Only Operation Tempest comes close in matching it, IMO.

    And of course, there's the infamous ending; the conclusion that never aired: "Team Rocket vs. Team Plasma". Let me say this straight-up: I still believe these episodes will air. Yeah, you can mock me all me want for that, but I need remind people that a set time was NEVER given for when the episodes would air. The cries that they're "banned" or "cancelled" just because it's been so long without them airing is foolishness, as TV Tokyo only said they'd air at a later date, NEVER that it would air under a given timeframe like within a few months or a year, or before a certain Gym or before the Unvoa League, etc. I actually feel even stronger that I'm right recently due to certain events, so I'm not going to complain.

    From the 1 and 1/2 minute trailer alone, I know that these episodes will be worth the wait, as annoyingly long as that wait might be.

    Quote Originally Posted by Pokemaniac24 View Post
    I'd actually put Time Gate above Milos Island for the sole reason that Ash meets Zager so I felt something important happened in these episodes while nothing really happened at Milos Island that was TOO important. Plus, TR put up a WAY better fight during the Time Gate episodes.
    Well actually, the Milos Island event and Team Rocket's involvement WAS important for setting up the Kami Trio's role in Operation Tempest later on.

    I personally think the Milos Island two-parter were better overall episodes than the Time Gate two-parter, but the Time Gate two-parter were better Team Rocket episodes.
    Last edited by AgentPierce; 6th October 2012 at 6:57 AM.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    6,066

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AgentPierce View Post
    Only Operation Tempest comes close in matching it, IMO.
    Like I said in my original post in this thread, I can't help but throw The Subway episodes in the mix, and I'll tell you why. I actually found the whole set up and Meowth joining the group to be extrmely entertaining. From an entertainment point of view, I thought these were excellent. The Purrloin episode and the Dream thief episode come to mind as just very good episodes. Especially the Purrloin episode with with the ending being absolutely hilarious XD The Subway episodes themselves I thought hit all the right places as well. I loved the reactions of Meowth and Pikachu in this episode (Pikachu's anger at Meowth, Meowth showing that he felt bad for what he did and being touched by Ash's words, Pikachu's plan to get out. The whole train chase was great and it was nice to see Zager in action.

    Quote Originally Posted by AgentPierce View Post
    Well actually, the Milos Island event and Team Rocket's involvement WAS important for setting up the Kami Trio's role in Operation Tempest later on.
    Yeah, you've got a point but like I said, Time Gate was still the better TR episodes and I see you agree with that as well. If we were to judge based on the overall episodes, it would definitely be closer since I really enjoyed the Kami Trio episodes.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    On a Sea-Train, to Kalos! UK
    Posts
    1,598

    Default

    I chose, "Operation Tempest" for involving Meloetta, staring Pikachu's massive Electro Ball and its a pretty cool build up although The Meteonite was too.

    Ash: Now I choose you!
    Electro Ball!

    -Pikachu: PikaPika-Chu-Pi!-

  11. #11
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    9,694

    Default

    Operation Tempest. The battle was great and it was nice to see Giovanni in action! Would have liked if they aired the first TR 2 Parter. I'm sure that would rank up there because it has TP!

    Ruby: LeafGreen (Nuzlocke):
    Emerald: Diamond:
    Pearl: Platinum:
    SoulSilver: White:
    White 2:
    Wii FC: 8945-6722-1722-6586 | Nintendo Network ID: Master_Zach
    3DS FC: 1289-8257-7574 | Xbox Gamertag: WaTeRChAmP97
    Claimed: Blastoise, Pokémon XY & Calem from Pokémon XY

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Bionis
    Posts
    9,507

    Default

    Tempest, Even though I couldn't understand most of it due to watching the eps with no subs the final battle was awesome.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    California, USA
    Posts
    14,838

    Default

    Gotta go with the Subway missions. TR were really beast in these episodes.
    Proud claimer of Cyndaquil and Ezio Auditore from Assassin's Creed !!
    Also proud claimer of Assassin's Creed 2 the game!!
    Just became the proud claimer of the Marvel's Agent's of S.H.I.E.L.D. TV show ^_^!!!

  14. #14
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    8,973

    Default

    You beat me to the punch poll!

    Easily Operation Tempest. They might be among my favourite episodes of the saga. The Subway hijack gets an honourable mention because of the lead-up to it and Team Rocket was really close in succeeding.

        Spoiler:- Alpha Sapphire Progress:

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Omnipresent
    Posts
    584

    Default

    Operation Tempest was the best mission ever! Giovanni singlehanded captured Ash and Pikachu and almost took over the world singlehanded if it was not for Pikachu's super charged Electro Ball. He was very close to succededing. Man, the TRio has nothing on this than Giovanni.

    Nimbasa Subway was great. Meowth's betrayal after all those good moments made him feel like a real villian. Pikachu using his intelligence and determination to help stall time and have the pokemon escape was genius and all the Pokemon and humans used had a good role in this one.
    Yeah..... I changed my signature....

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,226

    Default

    Not that I mind Operation Tempest getting so much votes, but......

    .....I just can't believe I'm the only one to vote Meteonite so far! Did the postponing of "Team Rocket vs. Team Plasma" put people off THAT much?

    C'mon people, this is a Team Rocket poll! Focus on what Team Rocket did, not what Team Plasma didn't do.
    Last edited by AgentPierce; 8th October 2012 at 8:22 PM.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    California, USA
    Posts
    14,838

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AgentPierce View Post
    Not that I mind Operation Tempest getting so much votes, but......

    .....I just can't believe I'm the only one to vote Meteonite so far! Did the postponing of "Team Rocket vs. Team Plasma" put people off THAT much?

    C'mon people, this is a Team Rocket poll! Focus on what Team Rocket did, not what Team Plasma didn't do.
    Well we don't know what TR did in those episodes so....
    Proud claimer of Cyndaquil and Ezio Auditore from Assassin's Creed !!
    Also proud claimer of Assassin's Creed 2 the game!!
    Just became the proud claimer of the Marvel's Agent's of S.H.I.E.L.D. TV show ^_^!!!

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,226

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 1rkhachatryan View Post
    Well we don't know what TR did in those episodes so....
    Sure we do: they used all the stuff they'd gathered from the previous episodes to obtain the Meteonite, which got stolen by Team Plasma so Team Rocket had a big fight with them to get it back before Pikachu destroyed it. And even if we didn't know, that doesn't change the fact that they did alot of cool stuff in all the Meteonite arc episodes before that two-parter. Remember them stealing Dream Yard energy? Or recieving a coded message in a cup of coffee? Driving a truck off a bridge and escaping on their jet packs before it explodes? Going "Mission Impossible" style in the Antamony Research Center and hacking the data on the Meteonite? Disabling the security of the Nacrene Museum to steal the Meteonite fragment?
    Last edited by AgentPierce; 8th October 2012 at 10:08 PM.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    California, USA
    Posts
    14,838

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AgentPierce View Post
    Sure we do: they used all the stuff they'd gathered from the previous episodes to obtain the Meteonite, which got stolen by Team Plasma so Team Rocket had a big fight with them to get it back before Pikachu destroyed it. And even if we didn't know, that doesn't change the fact that they did alot of cool stuff in all the Meteonite arc episodes before that two-parter. Remember them stealing Dream Yard energy? Or recieving a coded message in a cup of coffee? Driving a truck off a bridge and escaping on their jet packs before it explodes? Going "Mission Impossible" style in the Antamony Research Center and hacking the data on the Meteonite? Disabling the security of the Nacrene Museum to steal the Meteonite fragment?
    Yes that stuff was really cool but until I see those two episodes I just can't judge that mission as it is still incomplete in my eyes.
    Proud claimer of Cyndaquil and Ezio Auditore from Assassin's Creed !!
    Also proud claimer of Assassin's Creed 2 the game!!
    Just became the proud claimer of the Marvel's Agent's of S.H.I.E.L.D. TV show ^_^!!!

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Dragon Village
    Posts
    2,247

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pokemaniac24 View Post
    At this point, until I see the dub or sub of Tempest and the conclusion of TR vs TP, I may actually have to declare this a three way tie between Tempest, Subway, and Meteonite. It's REALLY close between those 3 at this point. Time Gate is 4th and Kami Trio is 5th. As a TR episode, the Kami Trio episodes weren't as great as they could have been and TR could have done more but as episodes by themselves, I really did enjoy the Milos Island two parter.
    Pretty much this for me as well, the meteonite, Subway, and Tempest missions are my favorites.

    What I liked about the Meteonite mission was that it was the first time we saw TR as an actual threat, arguably on level with other regional villain teams and not just extensions of JJM. We actually got to see them being real villains and engaging in evil deeds that weren't comic relief, they stole things and managed to outrun Officer Jenny and actually seemed like Giovanni's right hand men or top team. I felt it was good, not only for JJM, but for TR as a whole. The inclusion of TP near the climax upped the excitement in this mission because we'd get to see two villainous teams face off again since Team Aqua and Team Magma in Hoenn. Despite how the mission ended, with the climax and conclusion of the mission being stuck in a sort of postponed limbo, this was truly one of TR's shining moments.

    The Subway mission was an excellent use of an age old expression "Keep your friends close and your enemies closer," and I felt like that summed up the entire arc. Meowth infiltrates the group and lies and deceives them into trusting him and it's all so they can pull off a huge heist of Pokemon. Not only did we get to see Meowth in a more comical and Pre BW light, but I felt that this level of deception took his character to a new level. For the longest time it felt like Meowth was just there as the translator/Mecha operator while Jessie and James did the real work. In this we saw him achieve a new level of evil that hadn't been seen before. Honestly, his actions toward the Pokemon, especially Pikachu, after he captured them gave me chills. So I feel it was a success because of not only Meowth's involvement but because it had other subplots on the side, like keeping the viewer asking did Meowth really leave TR and the whole would Iris actually catch him.

    The Operation Tempest mission I feel was good too, but maybe not quite as much as the other two I just mentioned. There were some great points like Meloetta's involvement and Giovanni coming back to Unova to head the mission but I felt there was something missing. Even so, I thoroughly enjoyed the mission because we got to see TR being true villains once again. The inclusion of TR grunts was pretty cool, it made us remember that TR isn't so small that JJM are the only ones. Also, Ash meeting Giovanni was nice, while maybe not the big confrontation people were expecting, it still was interesting. Giovanni's actions are what make the mission good though. His showing no remorse over his evil deeds, such as using Meloetta or actually being willing to kill Ash, are no less than I expected from a leader of a villainous team, especially the one responsible for Mewtwo's creation.

    (credit goes to Skiyomi)

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    New Tork City
    Posts
    7,746

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AgentPierce View Post
    Not that I mind Operation Tempest getting so much votes, but......

    .....I just can't believe I'm the only one to vote Meteonite so far! Did the postponing of "Team Rocket vs. Team Plasma" put people off THAT much?

    C'mon people, this is a Team Rocket poll! Focus on what Team Rocket did, not what Team Plasma didn't do.
    Operation Tempest is only getting so many votes because it just happened and people are still getting over the shock of Giovanni doing something for the first (aired) time since Mewtwo Returns.

    Yes, the episodes themselves, aside from the incredibly rushed ending that ran it right off the rails, were very good. What ruined it for me was that the context set up for the story made little sense - Giovanni's presence was never really justified, he just showed up, the Kami Trio's connection to the whole thing felt tenuous at best, and in general by the time it was over I couldn't help but have a sour taste in my mouth that their part of Milos Island was as bad as it was purely to set this up and that Giovanni was only here to put Pikachu in front of him.

    Everything about the Meteonite mission was written correctly. They actually felt like real members of Team Rocket for the first time, with Giovanni relying on them and the presence of other members, from Pierce and Dr. Zager down to the nameless undercover operatives and Grunts. As for Giovanni himself, his going to Unova to get the Meteonite made perfect sense in the narrative because he was involved in the mission from the start, not just suddenly coming in at the end.

    (Banner by Matori)
    Beyond all ideals, the truth shall set you free...
    Most Recent: 18: Winter of Discontent
    Next: The Weight of the World (Part 1)

    The steps on the road to the truth.
    The Firestorm Rebellion
    The Victory Star of Fate


    Glacidia Network - The Home for Fanworks
    Best Wishes appreciation blog

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,061

    Default

    Operation Tempest was very similar to the Team Galactic episodes in DP. That's what it reminded me the most of while watching it.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,226

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Great Butler View Post
    Yes, the episodes themselves, aside from the incredibly rushed ending that ran it right off the rails, were very good.
    Maybe it's just because I remember the horribly rushed conclusions to the Aqua/Magma and Galactic finales and find this better in comparision, but I didn't have a problem with the ending here. Yeah, the Giovanni being possesed part was sadly rushed, but I thought TR's send-off was good, the resolution to the problem natural (who didn't figure out that Meloetta's song would be what solved things?), and the ending scene where the characters say goodbye to Larry and Meloetta actually felt like an ending scene (compared to the final TA/TM and TG scenes, which had characters talking to each other and then suddenly...The End.) So, unsurprisingly I guess, I disagree with you on this point. The ending was just fine.

    Giovanni's presence was never really justified, he just showed up
    THIS, on the other hand.....yeah, I agree with you. I thought Giovanni was awesome in these episodes, but....why exactly was he invested in this at all? We never saw, we never learned. There's just some vague implications that he had this plan all along and getting the Kami Trio on Milos Island was for that, but vague implicaitons aren't all that satisfying. With the Meteonite Mission, he was present and in charge from Day 1. If we had only seen him before the final two-parter of Operation Tempest, if we had actually seen Dr. Zager in contact with him like Zager said he'd be toward the start of it all, then him coming to Unova in person would make more sense. As awesome as he was, Giovanni needed more motivation.

    Everything about the Meteonite mission was written correctly. They actually felt like real members of Team Rocket for the first time, with Giovanni relying on them and the presence of other members, from Pierce and Dr. Zager down to the nameless undercover operatives and Grunts. As for Giovanni himself, his going to Unova to get the Meteonite made perfect sense in the narrative because he was involved in the mission from the start, not just suddenly coming in at the end.
    Agreed with this as well, that's another reason why, conclusion not airing be damned, the Meteonite mission is my personal favorite.

    Quote Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
    Operation Tempest was very similar to the Team Galactic episodes in DP. That's what it reminded me the most of while watching it.
    Me too, except IMHO, better done (that's why I justify it's better as a 2-parter than a 3-parter: after 2 strong episodes, the TG finale's 3rd one ruined the whole thing.)
    Last edited by AgentPierce; 10th October 2012 at 6:13 PM.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    New Tork City
    Posts
    7,746

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AgentPierce View Post
    Maybe it's just because I remember the horribly rushed conclusions to the Aqua/Magma and Galactic finales and find this better in comparision, but I didn't have a problem with the ending here. Yeah, the Giovanni being possesed part was sadly rushed, but I thought TR's send-off was good, the resolution to the problem natural (who didn't figure out that Meloetta's song would be what solved things?), and the ending scene where the characters say goodbye to Larry and Meloetta actually felt like an ending scene (compared to the final TA/TM and TG scenes, which had characters talking to each other and then suddenly...The End.) So, unsurprisingly I guess, I disagree with you on this point. The ending was just fine.
    No, I mean, he just magically orders a full retreat, the airplane materializes out of nowhere (quite literally, it was on Zager's main submarine which wasn't at the ruins) and they disappear in under a minute. That was rushed. The way the Kami Trio left and the ruins sank also was dealt with far too quickly.

    So I took a closer look at both parts of Operation Tempest and I'm just going to list the things I think of:

    -The art and animation in the first part was terrible. I thought Izumi Shimura was one of the better animation directors before, but now, I don't think I still can. Almost everything was off-model.

    -The second part suffered from music selection that often did not suit the scenes. A lot of the Black - Victini and Reshiram music sounded far too upbeat for where it was being used.

    -A lot of characters in the episodes were reduced to being nothing more than plot devices. Team Rocket outside of Giovanni did very little but I'll get to that next. The Kami Trio literally showed up with no foreshadowing prior to the Reveal Glass appearing, had zero interaction with anyone beyond the fighting, and disappeared without any note. Meloetta did absolutely nothing but act as a device to move the plot along - why couldn't she have joined the fight against the Kami Trio while Larry fixed the Reveal Glass? Larry himself had no real reason in existing that couldn't have been occupied by someone else; Cedric Juniper could easily have fulfilled the exact same purpose he served and given the whole affair a more serious tone. And what purpose exactly did Cynthia serve in being there? She literally did nothing beyond getting them the boat to the ruins.

    -Even for just being a final battle against Team Rocket in Unova, this whole thing barely seemed like a battle against Team Rocket at all. It started off well, with the Grunts attacking and then Jessie, James and Meowth splitting the twerps up so Giovanni could capture Ash and Meloetta, but in the second part it went totally off the rails. Jessie, James and Meowth did nothing other than throwing Ash off the cliff, and Dr. Zager just stood there doing absolutely nothing the whole time. You know what would have been great? If Giovanni would have loaned some of his Pokemon to Jessie and James, just like in Battle of the Badge, so they could make a credible attempt at holding Ash off. That would have also been a prime chance to finally give Zager a Pokemon of his own; the writers could have taken this chance to finally debut Klang by giving one to him, for example.

    -The Kami Trio fight took way too long to actually begin - actually to the Dare da? - and was focused on too little to be all that interesting. There wasn't enough time to have all the scenes with the twerps and feature the fighting to a satisfactory amount. The Milos Island arc, for comparison, heavily featured the fighting and that was perhaps the one thing that arc did most correctly.

    -"Unova's biggest crisis?" "Team Rocket's biggest mission ever?" There was barely any crisis at all in this arc for Unova. For everything wrong with Cyrus, at least when he went insane and decided to destroy the region, his actions were actually shown and stated to be having an effect on Sinnoh. Giovanni didn't do anything besides freeze some water and a few buildings. In fact, looking at what happened in the episode, I almost think the amount of potential destruction was sanitized to avoid any potential airing problems this time - notice that the fighting took place out on the ocean, far from any civilization, and the only effect any of it had on any populated area was a sheet of ice. Milos Island did this better too, because with the forest fires and landscape destruction taking place not far from a populated area, it felt like there was more real danger. As for "Team Rocket's biggest mission ever," that can't be called anything but utterly false advertising. Compare this - where it was only Giovanni, the trio, Zager and a couple of Grunts versus Ash, Iris, Cilan, Cynthia and Larry - against the Meteonite arc, which had the trio actually carrying out multiple smaller missions leading to the big one, which Giovanni brought in an army of Grunts and operatives for, while Professor Juniper, Looker and Team Plasma all convened on Desert Resort and Castelia City for. And in the ranks of Team Rocket history, even if nobody but the trio remembers it anymore, Mewtwo could have one-shotted all three of the Kami Trio effortlessly - and I'm saying that as someone who likes them.

    -The plot of the episodes could have been more original. Things were recycled from Team Aqua (the leader getting possessed, him "controlling" the Legendary Pokemon that's really controlling him) and Team Galactic (Giovanni's depiction followed the same pattern as Cyrus's: actual evil team boss in the first part/parts, reduced to cackling generic psychopath in finale), but we've been over this already.

    -And finally, I know you're going to take me to task for saying this, but the ending is a clear indication that the next thing they go for is going to be Pikachu again. The technique of showing someone's face (in this case, Giovanni) immediately after someone else is shown discussing something (Jessie and James) is a common technique for showing that the person is interested in what was being discussed, even if they were not being addressed. It is a common way to set up the Chekhov's Gun plot device, and in this case, Giovanni's implied interest in Pikachu is the Chekhov's Gun that will be revisited and followed up on.

    (Banner by Matori)
    Beyond all ideals, the truth shall set you free...
    Most Recent: 18: Winter of Discontent
    Next: The Weight of the World (Part 1)

    The steps on the road to the truth.
    The Firestorm Rebellion
    The Victory Star of Fate


    Glacidia Network - The Home for Fanworks
    Best Wishes appreciation blog

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    82

    Default

    For me it's a though choice. I am dying to see the TR vs TP 2 parter but I am not sure if it's really my favorite. I enjoyed Operation Tempest and the Nimbassa subway a lot as well but in the end I think I have to go for Operation Tempest. Simply because they fight more TR members then the TRio and Dr Zager. Operation Tempest is also about them and them alone, unlike the meteonite which is about TP as well

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •