Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Was Palpitoad being captured a mistake?

Oh dear, is this what this threads come down to? Calling Pokemon knock offs of other Pokemon? Wishing that Ash had caught certain Pokemon instead of others?

Here I thought it was a Palpitoad discussion thread..

Quote Originally Posted by AceDetective View Post
    I'm so glad he captured a female one, that mask is ridiculous.
    Agreed. Besides how would have Ash captured Attract Snivy? Unfezant played a HUGE ROLE in that. Something the ALL MALE eagle would not have done.
    Yeah..... I changed my signature....

Palpitoad is probably going to evolve in its next appearance, giving Ash another Powerhouse.
    Pokemon: The Theme of Secrets

At long last, I am returning with my Fan-Fic. Just need to find a better host. Blogger has done its course but I need just a little more recognition.

I freaking HATE "Mega" Evolution.

Quote Originally Posted by Thriller View Post
    Palpitoad is probably going to evolve in its next appearance, giving Ash another Powerhouse.
    Hopefully he will be the next Kingler/Glalie/maybe but unlikely Charizard hybrid of Ash's team.

Quote Originally Posted by Groundedshock View Post
    Agreed. Besides how would have Ash captured Attract Snivy? Unfezant played a HUGE ROLE in that. Something the ALL MALE eagle would not have done.
    The male Kenhallow could be gay.

Quote Originally Posted by pokemonsquared View Post
    If only Ash could have caught a sigilyph instead.... That would have been cool.
    Yeah but who's to say that Pokemon would have appeared just as little as Palpitoad?

My ideal battle ever!

Quote Originally Posted by Thriller View Post
    *sighs* why couldn't this happen already ...
    Proud claimer of Cyndaquil and Ezio Auditore from Assassin's Creed !!
    Also proud claimer of Assassin's Creed 2 the game!!
    Just became the proud claimer of the Marvel's Agent's of S.H.I.E.L.D. TV show ^_^!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 1rkhachatryan View Post
    Tension building up for an evolution of course........... Though I agreed it should have been done already.

I am really hoping Gamagaru really evolves.

Gamageroge is one of my favorite Water-Types.

Quote Originally Posted by 1rkhachatryan View Post
    Because the writers apparently only want to showcase Palpitoad in official battles, and sadly, the only few left are in the league

If Palpitoad evolves, Ash would have his last powerhouse that he needs, to compare:

Eight or higher is what I deem a powerhouse.. For a 'mini-powerhouse' (aka unevolved but beastly) a 7.5 suffices. Seven suffices for the league.

Sinnoh:
    - Pikachu: 10 - End series Pikachu? Definitely a fullbred powerhouse.
    - Staraptor: 7.5 - Definitely capable, but not a powerhouse.
    - Torterra: 7 - Would've been a powerhouse if he got an honest chance to show it.
    - Infernape: 10 - No doubt about it, they wanted this guy to feel as if he could take on Charizard..
    - Buizel: 7 - Aside from defeating Gastrodon, I felt he fell flat during the later parts of DP (think vs. Kenny), and its battle with Drapion.
    - Gliscor: 8 - Only by his final appearance, which was incredible.
    - Gible: 7.5 - By defeating both Shuckle and Dusknoir he ensured his spot as a mini-powerhouse

Unova at this point:
    - Pikachu: 8 - If that last Electro Ball is anything to go by.
    - Unfezant: 7 - She's strong, but she can still grow with a good move for example.
    - Oshawott: 6.5 - Strong, but needs to develop.
    - Pignite: 7.5 - Definitely working its way up to a powerhouse, but not yet there as made obvious by Serperior. If it evolves it will be without doubt.
    - Snivy: 7 - I'm willing to believe that she's further on her way to a (mini-)powerhouse then Oshawott, and already adequate as is.
    - Scraggy: 6.5 - Definitely on its way to becoming a powerhouse ala Gible, but not quite.
    - Leavanny: 7.5 - If he gets a more focused win I'll consider giving it an 8, but not at this point. Definitely equal to Staraptor for instance, incredibly capable, but not overpowered.
    - Palpitoad: 7 - Its already incredibly capable, and if it evolves it will definitely get an 8, depending on whether they handle him well or turn him into another Torterra of course.
    - Boldore: 7.5 - Same as Palpitoad actually, but I generally think that Boldore is a bit more developed movewise, and thus deserves the higher grade.
    - Krookodile: 8.5 - Definitely Ash's most secure powerhouse at the moment.

So yeah, for now it's like this:

Powerhouses and candidates:
    - Krookodile: 8.5
    - Pikachu: 8
    Candidates
    - Pignite: 7.5 - If he evolves, it's a definite powerhouse.
    - Leavanny: 7.5 - Only needs something like X-Scissor to ensure that spot.
    - Boldore: 7.5 - Needs more epic battles, vs. Reuniclus was a good testiment to its strength, but if it were drawn out more, it could've done more for its credibility.
    - Palpitoad: If it evolves it is a definite powerhouse.

The lingerer:
    - Unfezant: She's strong, but she needs more battles and a decent move before I'm convinced. Aside from that, her battles are fairly straightforward and there isn't much depth or strategy to them, which also doesn't give me much to give her credit for, yes she's fast and tough, but when there's a tricky opponent, how will she do? I don't know! Hence the 7

The mini-powerhouses:
    - Effectivily none.
    Candidates:
    - Snivy: 7 - If she takes down Cinccino and Jellicent, then we'll have the confirmation that we need.
    - Oshawott and Scraggy: 6.5 - I don't know what to say.. They need more battles and a move and even then I have doubts about the credibility. I think Scraggy will pull off a major win at some point, but I have trouble's with the credibility of these two. Heck even with Oshawott. If you gave me the choice between Scraggy, Oshawott, and Gible and Buizel, I'd pick Gible and Buizel over them any day. They'll probably go to a 7 in my book, but I don't see them achieving anything higher.
    Answer to all the bad things in the world: Give up on trying to make everything better. Hence, accepting it for what it is. YOLO! <- Click the link and daw.. -.-

I said Boldore and Unfezant are strong but borderline strong. They have their good days and their bad days.

Locormus Unfezant does have some strategy in her speedy aerial combat. She has Gust to repel attacks (it can also repel stone edge since with Skyla'a Swoobat.), Air Cutter while flying at sonic speed so she does not need to flap her wings to attack, Aerial Ace and Quick Attack for speedy getaways and fast physical moves. She probably has Super Luck too making everyone of her hits lethal.

Paplitoad has strong long ranged attacks and he can toggle through attacks quickly as mentioned by Cilan in his debut episode. Plus he can easily endure physical moves but not so much special moves yet. Once he evolves he will likely gain more speed and mobility.

Boldore can use its limbs as defenses to block physical attacks, gets a defense boost from sandstorm, and has a great moveset.

Krookodile has Dig and Stone Edge to counter long ranged attacks, has Crunch to immoblize opponents and a powerful Dragon Claw to slash at them.

Pignite is speedy, bulky and hits hard.
    Last edited by Groundedshock; 9th October 2012 at 7:10 PM.

I said Boldore and Unfezant are strong but borderline strong. They have their good days and their bad days.

Locormus Unfezant does have some strategy in her speedy aerial combat. She has Gust to repel attacks (it can also repel stone edge since with Skyla'a Swoobat.), Air Cutter while flying at sonic speed so she does not need to flap her wings to attack, Aerial Ace and Quick Attack for speedy getaways and fast physical moves. She probably has Super Luck too making everyone of her hits lethal.

Paplitoad has strong long ranged attacks and he can toggle through attacks quickly as mentioned by Cilan in his debut episode. Plus he can easily endure physical moves but not so much special moves yet. Once he evolves he will likely gain more speed and mobility.

Boldore can use its limbs as defenses to block physical attacks, gets a defense boost from sandstorm, and has a great moveset.

Krookodile has Dig and Stone Edge to counter long ranged attacks, has Crunch to immoblize opponents and a powerful Dragon Claw to slash at them.

Pignite is speedy, bulky and hits hard.
    This doesn't convince me. I'm being generous as is.. Gliscor arguably has the best moveset in the animé, and I give him an 8. No reason to give Unfezant the same score as Staraptor when that bird had Brave Bird and Close Combat.

I said they're fine as is. No point in trying to argue with that.. A 7.5 is already pretty darn good. There's no denying that Unfezant is not a powerhouse YET, by a small margin even. Hence why I structured it as that. Same with Boldore and Palpitoad. Palpitoad is MIA in general, hence why he only has a 7 and why the others have a 7.5.

Pignite is speedy, bulky and hits hard? Trip hardly even noticed that.. -.-
    Answer to all the bad things in the world: Give up on trying to make everything better. Hence, accepting it for what it is. YOLO! <- Click the link and daw.. -.-

Tension building up for an evolution of course........... Though I agreed it should have been done already.
    If they wanted to do that they would of shown him more lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Locormus View Post
    Because the writers apparently only want to showcase Palpitoad in official battles, and sadly, the only few left are in the league

If Palpitoad evolves, Ash would have his last powerhouse that he needs, to compare:

Eight or higher is what I deem a powerhouse.. For a 'mini-powerhouse' (aka unevolved but beastly) a 7.5 suffices. Seven suffices for the league.

Sinnoh:
    - Pikachu: 10 - End series Pikachu? Definitely a fullbred powerhouse.
    - Staraptor: 7.5 - Definitely capable, but not a powerhouse.
    - Torterra: 7 - Would've been a powerhouse if he got an honest chance to show it.
    - Infernape: 10 - No doubt about it, they wanted this guy to feel as if he could take on Charizard..
    - Buizel: 7 - Aside from defeating Gastrodon, I felt he fell flat during the later parts of DP (think vs. Kenny), and its battle with Drapion.
    - Gliscor: 8 - Only by his final appearance, which was incredible.
    - Gible: 7.5 - By defeating both Shuckle and Dusknoir he ensured his spot as a mini-powerhouse

Unova at this point:
    - Pikachu: 8 - If that last Electro Ball is anything to go by.
    - Unfezant: 7 - She's strong, but she can still grow with a good move for example.
    - Oshawott: 6.5 - Strong, but needs to develop.
    - Pignite: 7.5 - Definitely working its way up to a powerhouse, but not yet there as made obvious by Serperior. If it evolves it will be without doubt.
    - Snivy: 7 - I'm willing to believe that she's further on her way to a (mini-)powerhouse then Oshawott, and already adequate as is.
    - Scraggy: 6.5 - Definitely on its way to becoming a powerhouse ala Gible, but not quite.
    - Leavanny: 7.5 - If he gets a more focused win I'll consider giving it an 8, but not at this point. Definitely equal to Staraptor for instance, incredibly capable, but not overpowered.
    - Palpitoad: 7 - Its already incredibly capable, and if it evolves it will definitely get an 8, depending on whether they handle him well or turn him into another Torterra of course.
    - Boldore: 7.5 - Same as Palpitoad actually, but I generally think that Boldore is a bit more developed movewise, and thus deserves the higher grade.
    - Krookodile: 8.5 - Definitely Ash's most secure powerhouse at the moment.

So yeah, for now it's like this:

Powerhouses and candidates:
    - Krookodile: 8.5
    - Pikachu: 8
    Candidates
    - Pignite: 7.5 - If he evolves, it's a definite powerhouse.
    - Leavanny: 7.5 - Only needs something like X-Scissor to ensure that spot.
    - Boldore: 7.5 - Needs more epic battles, vs. Reuniclus was a good testiment to its strength, but if it were drawn out more, it could've done more for its credibility.
    - Palpitoad: If it evolves it is a definite powerhouse.

The lingerer:
    - Unfezant: She's strong, but she needs more battles and a decent move before I'm convinced. Aside from that, her battles are fairly straightforward and there isn't much depth or strategy to them, which also doesn't give me much to give her credit for, yes she's fast and tough, but when there's a tricky opponent, how will she do? I don't know! Hence the 7

The mini-powerhouses:
    - Effectivily none.
    Candidates:
    - Snivy: 7 - If she takes down Cinccino and Jellicent, then we'll have the confirmation that we need.
    - Oshawott and Scraggy: 6.5 - I don't know what to say.. They need more battles and a move and even then I have doubts about the credibility. I think Scraggy will pull off a major win at some point, but I have trouble's with the credibility of these two. Heck even with Oshawott. If you gave me the choice between Scraggy, Oshawott, and Gible and Buizel, I'd pick Gible and Buizel over them any day. They'll probably go to a 7 in my book, but I don't see them achieving anything higher.
    Seriously the writers are so evil ....
    Just became the proud claimer of the Marvel's Agent's of S.H.I.E.L.D. TV show ^_^!!!

Bad news. Palpitoad (at least Ash) isn't going to. appear in this episode. Could appear a wild Palpitoad but not Ash's Palpitoad. Basically, game reasons or not, Palpitoad is only going to appear in the league.

i feel Palpitoad wasn't a mistake, the point in the catch was to reference Kanto in some way, having ash capture 2 water pokemon, but Palpitoad helps a lot, since electric moves dont work on it, obviously idk what the writers are up to with it, but with an evolution i believe as a Seismitoad, it can def. be a powerhouse on ash's team, again another pokemon he might not call on all the time, only on difficult battles like muk/ heracross/ tauros etc., although it'd be neat to see a couple episodes with more focus on Palpitoad like Krokorok had leading into an evolution....

Quote Originally Posted by cloudynamite View Post
    i feel Palpitoad wasn't a mistake, the point in the catch was to reference Kanto in some way, having ash capture 2 water pokemon, but Palpitoad helps a lot, since electric moves dont work on it, obviously idk what the writers are up to with it, but with an evolution i believe as a Seismitoad, it can def. be a powerhouse on ash's team, again another pokemon he might not call on all the time, only on difficult battles like muk/ heracross/ tauros etc., although it'd be neat to see a couple episodes with more focus on Palpitoad like Krokorok had leading into an evolution....
    I agree. I think people forgot about Kingler and how Best wishes has alot of similarities to Kanto in someway in terms of Pokemon. But people don't seem to get it.

My ideal battle ever!

Quote Originally Posted by cloudynamite View Post
    Honestly the better go the Kingler route in the league at this point lol.

I have a guide on Excel where I have the ratio of appareance. (Note that are my first language in Spanish, not English)

The guides is to show the number of appareances by Pokemon in the mian cast and show who pokemon gets the least screentime.

Things to note:
    -I don't considered the Plasma episodes, the Whiscash episode and the Porygon episodes because they are banned in Japan.
    -I consider the Dratini, the James' boobs episode and the Ice Cave episode and the clip episodes because they are broadcasted in Japan with normality.
    -I consider the run of the pokemon during the normal run. I said during the time that is on Ash's team or is in rotation (only in BW).
    -I only consider main characters from obvious reasons. I don't consider TR because the low screentime in BW.
    -Is in capitals because I almost always write in Excel in capitals. Don't interperete that I'm angry.
    -Why do I post ratings and not appareances? Because isn't cpmarable a series with 98 episodes with a complete series with 191 episodes.

PIKACHU 1; AXEW 1; OSHAWOTT 0,58; DRAGONITE 0,5; PIGNITE 0,45; PANSAGE 0,42; SNIVY 0,32; EMOLGA 0,32; SCRAGGY 0,3; KROOKODILE 0,28; CRUSTLE 0,27; EXCADRILL 0,25; UNFEZANT 0,2; STUNFISK 0,19; BOLDORE 0,18; LEAVANNY 0,16; PALPITOAD 0,1.

For comparison in DP goes like that:
        Spoiler:- RATIO:

And AG:

-I put this here because I see that Palpitoad has a rate of 0,102 fore the moment. But if Palpitoad don't appear in the next 4 episodes the ratio can go down to 0,097. Leavanny and Boldore has far better rating than Palpitoad.
    -In BW the ratios are generally much lower than DP and AG. With the exception of Pikachu and Axew who appears in all the episodes, the only pokemon who has a DP standard ratio (0,4-0,55) are Oshawott (for him, higher), Dragonite (only 10 episodes to rating), Pignite (the medium) and Pansage.
    -The sidekick pokemon has the same rating or lower that Brock's pokemon are in AG and DP. And May's and Dawn's pokemon has more screentime than Iris. And with the exceptions of Dawn's Cyndaquil they are all rounded in the range of 0,4x. This is because the co-stars* has more screentime than the sidekick principally. And Cilan & Iris don't have more than 3/4 pokemon.
    -Pansage(Cilan) and Croagunk(Brock) can be considered exceptions and has more screentime than any of the rest of sidekick pokemon. (Sidekicks: Iris, Cilan, Brock).
    -For surprise, Piplup has a rating of 0,9. This is because Piplup stays in the pokeball (but with a lot of screentime until the Solaceon Contest. After that, appears during the last 132 episodes of DP.
    -Counting the OS (but without Primeape, Muk, Tauros, Kingler) and considering only the regular stage for the pokemon (like Snorlax and Heracross). And for the sidekick I found bad ratings but not like Palpitoad is getting in BW.
    To end the ratings of the Pokemon in Season 2:
    Pikachu and Axew 1, Unfezant, Boldore, Stunfisk and Leavanny, 0,07; Oshawott 0,71; Pignite 0,43, Snivy, Excadrill, Emolga, and Krookodile 0,21; Crustle and Scraggy 0,28; Dragonite 0,5; Pansage, 0,36. But Palpitoad, a clear 0.

* Note that May isn't a full co-star in AG but I put in co-stars because shares similar % with Dawn.

Basically, Palpitoad icould hand the title in the pokemon anime records for be the pokemon with less ratio who officially is in a team during a saga.
    Last edited by Eievui-Nymphia; 14th October 2012 at 6:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fer92 View Post
    I have a guide on Excel where I have the ratio of appareance. (Note that are my first language in Spanish, not English)

The guides is to show the number of appareances by Pokemon in the mian cast and show who pokemon gets the least screentime.

Things to note:
    -I don't considered the Plasma episodes, the Whiscash episode and the Porygon episodes because they are banned in Japan.
    -I consider the Dratini, the James' boobs episode and the Ice Cave episode and the clip episodes because they are broadcasted in Japan with normality.
    -I consider the run of the pokemon during the normal run. I said during the time that is on Ash's team or is in rotation (only in BW).
    -I only consider main characters from obvious reasons. I don't consider TR because the low screentime in BW.
    -Is in capitals because I almost always write in Excel in capitals. Don't interperete that I'm angry.
    -Why do I post ratings and not appareances? Because isn't cpmarable a series with 98 episodes with a complete series with 191 episodes.

PIKACHU 1; AXEW 1; OSHAWOTT 0,58; DRAGONITE 0,5; PIGNITE 0,45; PANSAGE 0,42; SNIVY 0,32; EMOLGA 0,32; SCRAGGY 0,3; KROOKODILE 0,28; CRUSTLE 0,27; EXCADRILL 0,25; UNFEZANT 0,2; STUNFISK 0,19; BOLDORE 0,18; LEAVANNY 0,16; PALPITOAD 0,1.

For comparison in DP goes like that:

And AG:

-I put this here because I see that Palpitoad has a rate of 0,102 fore the moment. But if Palpitoad don't appear in the next 4 episodes the ratio can go down to 0,097. Leavanny and Boldore has far better rating than Palpitoad.
    -In BW the ratios are generally much lower than DP and AG. With the exception of Pikachu and Axew who appears in all the episodes, the only pokemon who has a DP standard ratio (0,4-0,55) are Oshawott (for him, higher), Dragonite (only 10 episodes to rating), Pignite (the medium) and Pansage.
    -The sidekick pokemon has the same rating or lower that Brock's pokemon are in AG and DP. And May's and Dawn's pokemon has more screentime than Iris. And with the exceptions of Dawn's Cyndaquil they are all rounded in the range of 0,4x. This is because the co-stars* has more screentime than the sidekick principally. And Cilan & Iris don't have more than 3/4 pokemon.
    -Pansage(Cilan) and Croagunk(Brock) can be considered exceptions and has more screentime than any of the rest of sidekick pokemon. (Sidekicks: Iris, Cilan, Brock).
    -For surprise, Piplup has a rating of 0,9. This is because Piplup stays in the pokeball (but with a lot of screentime until the Solaceon Contest. After that, appears during the last 132 episodes of DP.
    -I count the OS (but without Primeape, Muk, Tauros, Kingler) and considering only the regular stage for the pokemon (like Snorlax and Heracross). And for the sidekick I found bad rating but not like Palpitoad is getting in BW.
    To end the ratings of the Pokemon in Season 2:
    Pikachu and Axew 1, Unfezant, Boldore, Stunfisk and Leavanny, 0,07; Oshawott 0,71; Pignite 0,43, Snivy, Excadrill, Emolga, and Krookodile 0,21; Crustle and Scraggy 0,28; Dragonite 0,5; Pansage, 0,36. But Palpitoad, a clear 0.

* Note that May isn't a full co-star in AG but I put in co-stars because shares similar % with Dawn.
    It's nice to see people that are actually willing to do the math like that. It's that sort of dedication that's bound to keep people from being fired from a job.

Anyway, it does seem pretty sad that Palpitoad is getting very little screentime. Truth be told, the writers could have used Palpitoad as an excuse to give Oshawott a more unique moveset instead of the generic set he has right now (We always see either Hydro Pump or Water Gun on a Water starter).

Whatever, I don't care. I like Palpitoad, and just because it doesn't get enough screen time doesn't mean it was a mistake. When it is used, it's still nice to see it in battle.

Quote Originally Posted by The Benmeister View Post
    ...isn't the point of being a Pokemon trainer to catch Pokemon?

So no, no it wasn't.

The alternative was it not being caught and never seen again...how is that at all preferable?

Just makes it better when Palpitoad is actually used.
    Glad I found the answer I wanted this early.
    Fact: All fanbases are unpleasable, deal with it.

Pokemon Red Team: Corona LV.53 Garland LV.44 Salt LV.47 Rime LV.48 Blitz LV.55 Buckle LV. 46 Badges: 8, Elite Four defeated.

Pokemon Crystal Team: Flower LV.62 Torrent LV.61 Echo LV.58 Shade LV. 57 Vortex LV.60 Brand LV. 60Badges: 16, Elite Four defeated, Red defeated

Ranked 5,823rd place in the VGC 2011 Autumn Friendly Tourney

Lol palp got neglected for 30+ eps. Then gets destroyed by garbodor.

I thought I was the only person who noticed this.
    http://serebii.net/anime/dex/536.shtml#ash Palpitoad was in a total of 7 episodes. 1 was a flashback of the previous episode and another 1 it was only at the end of the episode about to battle. It's screen time is very poor. I know he has 10 pokemon but still they could have done better.
    Ash's team right now

If you think the Sinnoh saga has been the best saga of the whole show, copy and paste this into your signature! (started by FlameRose)

If you deny any sort of existence of Iris's hair, put this into your sig (started by 5ilVer)

Quote Originally Posted by pokemonsquared View Post
    Lol palp got neglected for 30+ eps. Then gets destroyed by garbodor.
    He is the most neglected of Ashs Unova team. Here's hoping he gets some league redemption

Quote Originally Posted by AceDetective View Post
    He is the most neglected of Ashs Unova team. Here's hoping he gets some league redemption
    and some arms!!!

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast