Thread: Ash's Personality

Default Ash's Personality

Ash's personality has grown and developed throughout the series. What do you think he did best in each region/worst in each region? If the current series ends up being Ash's last, what would you like to see in terms of closure to his personality? Personally, I think Ash's character has become somewhat stale in Unova. He's definitely not the Ash from the OS, or even Hoenn, not to mention how different his battling is from DP.
    It's not about winning; it's the rivers you cross.

Kanto-best.........he managed to calm mewtwo with his life
    Kanto-Worst Probably everything related to battling and being a trainer.
    Johto-Best He got real powerhouses that obeyed for the first time (charizard and snorlax)
    Johto worst- said powerhouses got shafted for new johto pokemon that were in themselves shafted.
    Hoenn best-All pokemon got to shine in the league
    Hoenn worst-Half needed BF to fully develop, ie grovyle, and corphish, half got tossed halfway through torkoal and glalie.
    Sinnoh best-Used more strategy, had the most powerful looking regional team
    Sinnoh worst-Ash was no longer funny. We needed piplup and Croagunk to fill our daily dose of humor.
    Unova best- He actually evolved his pokemon the fastest of any saga, 100 eps in DP we still had chimchar.
    Unova worst- He must have gotten lobotomized after sinnoh.

He seemed to improve in skill but lose his humor. I preferred the inexperienced but funny Ash, it made the moments where he managed to come out on top a million times more awesome.
    WHITE 2 FC - Mega - 1679 1590 2270

Ash had the most personality in kanto but lost all of it during Sinnoh. He's gotten it back in Unova, but his Kanto self was his funniest.

Quote Originally Posted by megamuncher View Post
    He seemed to improve in skill but lose his humor. I preferred the inexperienced but funny Ash, it made the moments where he managed to come out on top a million times more awesome.
    I strongly agree with this. He could battle well in Sinnoh, but his personality was lackluster. I always liked seeing Ash work hard and train on screen to overcome challenges with his Pokemon while still having his sense of humor. (i.e When he lost to Brawly). I thought Hoenn had a good mix, probably because it's now the middle reigon.
    It's not about winning; it's the rivers you cross.

I like the talented Ash in Sinnoh. Ash's humour usually makes him look stupid, which I think is bad for a character who represents the franchise.
    1st X run:

Hoenn seems to be the region of balance with less humorous than OS but more than DP. And on the other end of the scale less epic battles than DP and more than OS. So it depends on your preference of humor vs intelligence or a mix.

I think that Hoenn Ash was my favourite. the Dewford Island arc was my favourite in terms of Ash's character development.

I liked Johto Ash because he still kept the same hilarious arrogance and humor, but his battles had more tactical nous than kanto.

Sinnoh Ash's battles were among the best to watch, and I didn't feel it mattered that much that he lost some of his humor, as his pokemon + Dawn went some way towards making up for that

Hoenn Ash was best balanced in my opinion. He could still make you laugh, but he was really looking like a pro trainer with his funny but more mature personality. Not to mention we got to see his mentor role with May and Max which not only helped them but it really boost his character and really showed how he changed from his rookie Kanto days. I loved Hoenn Ash. He really was great and I miss this version of Ash.
    Parena or Serecham both equal Serena+Pancham!

Kanto and Hoenn Ash were my favorite.

It's amazing that how in Hoenn Ash was shown to be mature, but he STILL had that impulsive and reckless behavior that still made him funny. Just look at how he reacts to Brawly in Dewford Island, or trying to pick a fight with wild Breloom with his fists. It's one of the main reasons AG was so enjoyable, Ash was neither an idiot nor was he bland like he became afterward.

DP Ash was my favorite. One, because it seemed like he was growing up even though his age wasn't. I'm not stuck on Kanto because it's like he didn't do any kind of research about how to be a trainer either from a book or from those that were around him. I get his comedy but everything else was just not working. IS Ash was much better. It seemed like he was still cocky but abit better in knowing most of the basics.

My ideal battle ever!

Quote Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
    Kanto and Hoenn Ash were my favorite.

It's amazing that how in Hoenn Ash was shown to be mature, but he STILL had that impulsive and reckless behavior that still made him funny. Just look at how he reacts to Brawly in Dewford Island, or trying to pick a fight with wild Breloom with his fists. It's one of the main reasons AG was so enjoyable, Ash was neither an idiot nor was he bland like he became afterward.
    I agree with this.

On my own perspective, I adored Kanto Ash. I must admit that he was my childhood hero. I always looked up to him. XD While he was still an idiot, I liked the compassion he had for his Pokemon. When AG came around, I took a hiatus from the series. I thought everything was changing like that Ash would be totally different and it wouldn't be something that I was interested in. But instead, when I finally got bored of watching Pokemon reruns I found AG Ash to be more mature, but still the same guy he always was. That's what I liked about it. I remember the first episode I saw (the Which Wurmple's Which) I think, well at least the one after Dewford where it started off with him apologizing to Treecko and Taillow. I really liked that, his voice sounded a bit deeper but I knew he was still the same Ash he always was.

Sometime in DP he just seemed too serious for what I thought a 10 year old boy should behave. ^^; But at that time I was mature enough to accept things and not boycott the show or some ridiculous thing. XD
    3DS Friend Code: 1306-5187-6204

Quote Originally Posted by Caseydia View Post
    DP Ash was my favorite. One, because it seemed like he was growing up even though his age wasn't. I'm not stuck on Kanto because it's like he didn't do any kind of research about how to be a trainer either from a book or from those that were around him. I get his comedy but everything else was just not working. IS Ash was much better. It seemed like he was still cocky but abit better in knowing most of the basics.
    Yep Kanto Ash would never do something like the countershield. He would have just pestered Fantina until she gives him the relic badge out of Pity. He probably also wasn't above taking a free badge from sunnyshore and leaving.

Kanto: Here, Ash was hilarious, which made me like him as a main character. However, he also developed in a realistic way. Kanto Ash is my favourite!

Hoenn: Ash became more serious, but still had his funny moments. However, I think him getting more serious also started the downfall.

Sinnoh: Here, Ash lost his humorous moments, and was way too mature, he got stale. A bit more humour and a bit less serious, and he would've been more enjoyable.

Unova: Ash lost all development he received and this is my least favourite "Ash personality". I still think Ash shouldn't be replaced (then everything from the awesome OS would be gone, and I still think Ash has the potential to be a good main character if the writers do well), but in the next saga, I hope the writers will improve Ash somewhat again, to make him more entertaining.