Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone suffer from a mental illnes?

I was Diagnosed with "Atypical Autism and Personality disorder UNS (Unspecified)" a couple of years ago. The only difficulties i can think of i have is social interaction. Well, maybe not really a problem but it drains out much of my energy.
    I don't choose the bible, I stick with Lenin and Marx - i spit intelligent arts. /Strike Back.

Lol here's the thread where everyone acts like they are unique and everyone has aspergers. Mhm.

I was diagnosed (NOPE NOT WITH ASPERGERS.. lucky me.) But yeah I was diagnosed with OCD in 2007 ..crazy little anxiety disorder that just randomly shows up later on in life. It's kind of embarrassing, but I'll repeat actions over and over again even though I know that stove is not on or that door is shut, ect. Oh and I wash my hands till they become raw. Pretty sexy yes. But I gave up my Prozac almost a year ago and I'm doing pretty fine. I'm not that psychopath depressed person you once knew. I do have anxiety attacks quite often though over nothing. But it's whatever.

Btw I hate, I HATE when people joke about OCD saying how "I'm so OCD because I hate germs." STFU bitch, do some research. :P I'll believe you have OCD when you hate germs and your brain MAKES you wash yourself over and over again and if you don't you feel like you're going to die. Then yes, you possibly might have it.
    Last edited by Mandi.; 8th October 2012 at 6:54 PM.

I have Aspergers (not self-diagnosed, I am seriously diagnosed), and it pretty much screws up my life. I'm also depressed. And sometimes, I think I might have an anxiety disorder, but I've never run any tests and haven't been diagnosed.

When I was younger I was diagnosed with ADHD. My case Is quite moderate compared to other cases and has slightly improved over the years, but I do still have trouble sitting still for long periods of time. I'm prone to butting into conversations and I interrupt my classes A LOT. I am also easily distracted (but who isn't when someone looks out the window and shouts "it's snowing!) I am also extremely forgetful. What I do NOT do is run around in circles, although I pace around the house on a daily basis. If anything, it's more likely ADD and my doctor is an idiot.

I am not medicated. I am not in therapy. The only thing that settles me down is being in a noisy environment i.e. radio on, people talking etc.

Quote Originally Posted by pokegirl_1986 View Post
    well were all on a pokemon forum so i think everybody is sufering from a mental illness LOL
    You have a point.

A person who spent most of their time on a Pokémon forum most likely have a somewhat ill mind.

Yup, I have an autism spectrum disorder. I've never been properly diagnosed though, even though the people of medical investigations at school kept asking my parents to do so. They didn't want me to be labeled and I don't want that either.

But yeah, it affects me on a mental, social and physical level. It got better over time though. And I know it's a passive form (like, I don't look for contact but answer if someone reacts on me).

But yeah, first of all, my thinking pattern is different than of the average people, even though I don't have a severe form. I'm also terrible with things like sarcasm or figure of speech although that improved.

On a social level I was pretty much one of those shut in weird kids that don't say anything but got into a violent rage if I got pissed and did impulsive things then like hitting a guy in the face while all his buddies were around me. Luckily that greatly improved as well. I try to keep myself under control when I'm angered and one friend in particularly helped me a lot on the social level, although I still need some time alone now and then. Or sometimes I need booze to get loose a little.

On a physical level, my motor skills aren't good at all. As a kid I was always behind the others. For example, I started to walk way later than others. Basically, I was behind on the most basic things. Walking, jumping, hand-eye coordination, etc. I got there eventually even though my fine motor skills (like writing, drawing etc) are still bad.

Another thing that's quite typical is that I need structure and patterns in my life. I absolutely despise change and hate it if things don't go like planned. And I just need the same patterns every day. Not that I freak out if they're distorted by some reason by I feel uneasy and annoyed because of it.

And one last thing I have that quite some people with autism have too, but certainly not all of them is the huge interests, sometimes obsessions. I'm obsessed with dinosaurs and other prehistoric life since I was a little kid. But also really interested in other scientific things. Like how the things in the universe works, types of starts, how they formed, planet formation, black hole, dimensions, nuclear fusion etc...

But yeah, I don't want to be tested and I don't want a label. There isn't anything they can do about it and even if they could I wouldn't want it cause it's a part of myself. Sure it sometimes sucks, but at least I know what's different from how normal people react and stuff and then I try to act as normal as possible. I've known some people (and not only those self diagnosed people with "aspergers" that are just antisocial (not that all people with aspergers are like that), but also people with a properly diagnosed autism spectrum disorder) using it as an excuse for pretty much everything.

If you have it and you know you should behave differently, try to pull yourself together. Yes it can be hard and yes I know it's easy to say that while I have a mild form, but still.

Quote Originally Posted by Coyote_Dynamo View Post
    I was once told by a relative/friend, whom is going for their Ph. D. in clinical psychology, that I may have a mild case of aspergers, but I have never been tested for anything.
    Well, my psychiatry teacher told us that "Aspergers" is quite vague and flows into other autism spectrum diseases. So it's pretty much a group name of cases that are all in the vague cloud of autism. Things that pretty much don't have a specific label.
    Last edited by Drake Pokétrainer; 8th October 2012 at 9:05 PM.

I am indeed the one with the power of a god.
    The divine flames that I've absorbed
    will burn you to a crisp with nuclear energy and leave nothing behind!

Considering that I keep coming back here, I'd probably guess that I suffer from masochistic personality disorder, but no, I'm just an aspie (diagnosed ca. 2000).
    3DS FC: 3926-4256-2399
    Ingame name: Coatlicue

The usual links

Quote Originally Posted by pokegirl_1986 View Post
    well were all on a pokemon forum so i think everybody is sufering from a mental illness LOL
    yeah your'e prob'ly right lol
    #AlphaSapphire
    I am one of Jehovah's Witnesses.
    If you have a question about my religion, or wish to discuss my religion, the Bible, or anything related to this topic, feel free to PM or VM me, take a look at the information in my profile or visit our official website.

Quote Originally Posted by iFi Salamander View Post
    The latter when coupled with the prior is just you being shallow to compensate, like a guy who has no luck with the ladies so he works out on an absurd level.
    I have been diagnosed with these problems by a doctor and am currently seeing a therapist. Having body dysmorphic disorder coupled with social anxiety disorder is no fun to have. I literally can't even look at myself because I am so disgusted by what I see, but other people see nothing wrong with me. The social anxiety disorder causes me to have panic attacks in public. I don't know why in the world you think I'm shallow, I can't help that I have these problems, at least I'm trying to fix them.
    Last edited by Squeegie; 8th October 2012 at 10:29 PM.

edit edit edit

damn it. I quoted everyone but only the last one saved in my clipboard. -_-

Okay, this is getting annoying. I quoted a bunch of people and right when I get to the end, the site somehow erases all my copied text (and of course I copied again before proofreading -_-). Basically, I want to wish everyone good luck and just know that I'm here for support. We're going through a lot of stuff and it's good to know that there are like-minded individuals out there.
    Last edited by donteatsoap7; 9th October 2012 at 1:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mandi. View Post
    Lol here's the thread where everyone acts like they are unique and everyone has aspergers. Mhm.
    That's probably because the people that don't have a mental disorder have less reason to post in the thread.

Hi guys, happens to be my first post but thought I'd weigh in here.

After a health scare so to speak I suffered for about 9 months with massive anxiety and panic attacks related to hypochondria, couldn't make it through a full shift at work or go out and live my normal life. In the last couple of weeks I feel like I have finally got on top of the situation and am doing great at the moment. The doctor wanted to prescribe me meds for it but I have a history of heavy drug use to I refused, getting hooking on anti-anxiety/depression meds was not something I was keen for!

I "only" suffered for 9 months, I'd hate to know what its like for the people who live with it permanently. It must suck so hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    That's probably because the people that don't have a mental disorder have less reason to post in the thread.
    As if it's mandatory to post in every single thread.
    Well I would never understand why someone would lie about having a true mental disorder, because overall it's just highly embarrassing and everyone around you thinks you're screwed up in the head completely.

Quote Originally Posted by Squeegie View Post
    I have been diagnosed with these problems by a doctor and am currently seeing a therapist. Having body dysmorphic disorder coupled with social anxiety disorder is no fun to have. I literally can't even look at myself because I am so disgusted by what I see, but other people see nothing wrong with me. The social anxiety disorder causes me to have panic attacks in public. I don't know why in the world you think I'm shallow, I can't help that I have these problems, at least I'm trying to fix them.
    I know your feel, because I also have body dysmorphic disorder. It is really a disgrace, I have considered killing myself a huge lot of times.
    Looking at the mirror is like a torture to me. Not funny at all.

As if it's mandatory to post in every single thread.
    Well I would never understand why someone would lie about having a true mental disorder, because overall it's just highly embarrassing and everyone around you thinks you're screwed up in the head completely.
    Because it's not mandatory, the percentage of people with mental disorders posting will be higher in this thread than in others.
    Why is it embarrassing and why does everyone around me think that?

Because it's not mandatory, the percentage of people with mental disorders posting will be higher in this thread than in others.
    Why is it embarrassing and why does everyone around me think that?
    Because people are assholes. Trust me, even my family thinks I'm wacky. :3
    You should know how people are.

I found that when I was suffering from anxiety and panic attacks that when I stopped being embarrassed about it they began to improve. My real friends didn't give me grief about it at all, anyone who does isn't worth the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowjoe View Post
    I found that when I was suffering from anxiety and panic attacks that when I stopped being embarrassed about it they began to improve. My real friends didn't give me grief about it at all, anyone who does isn't worth the time.
    Ah I guess I'm just bitter because I pretty much lost people who were very close to me due to it, back when it was at it's peak. I mean I don't blame them, because if you had to listen to some chick being all crazy as I was, I'm sure you'd get sick of it too.

But I guess you're right.. my disorder did improve after I got out of school and moved on with my life.
    It is said that your disorder will worsen at times of extreme stress so I totally get what you're saying. You have to be happy and support yourself.
    Last edited by Mandi.; 9th October 2012 at 6:55 PM.

I'm usually seen as someone intelligent by other people. I think that's partly because I started attending university for mathematics courses 2 years early and the only reason why it wasn't even earlier was because of formal reasons.
    I'm also attending a school exclusive for people with asperger's, so my current classmates and teachers likely doesn't think that.

Well, just about everybody who knows me thinks I'm wacky...

Also, a downside of Aspergers: often, when people who don't know what Aspergers is hear that I have Aspergers, they think it's some kind of mental handicap that lowers my intelligence and think I'm retarded. The fact that my IQ is high doesn't matter to them, they treat me like I'm either stupid or like a little kid (I'm 18). I'm glad people who do know what Aspergers is don't treat me like that.

Ah I guess I'm just bitter because I pretty much lost people who were very close to me due to it, back when it was at it's peak. I mean I don't blame them, because if you had to listen to some chick being all crazy as I was, I'm sure you'd get sick of it too.

But I guess you're right.. my disorder did improve after I got out of school and moved on with my life.
    It is said that your disorder will worsen at times of extreme stress so I totally get what you're saying. You have to be happy and support yourself.
    Ah I didn't mean to sound like I was lecturing at you! I was very lucky that my closest friends and my family were very very supportive, it would have been a whole different ball game had they not been. I'm sure I wouldn't have dealt with it as well had that not been the case.

I'm usually seen as someone intelligent by other people. I think that's partly because I started attending university for mathematics courses 2 years early and the only reason why it wasn't even earlier was because of formal reasons.
    I'm also attending a school exclusive for people with asperger's, so my current classmates and teachers likely doesn't think that.
    Well obviously people who go through the same thing as you aren't going to think of you as different.
    I'm talking about people in general who have no idea about mental disorders and what some people go through.

Quote Originally Posted by AquaMilotic View Post
    Well, just about everybody who knows me thinks I'm wacky...

Also, a downside of Aspergers: often, when people who don't know what Aspergers is hear that I have Aspergers, they think it's some kind of mental handicap that lowers my intelligence and think I'm retarded. The fact that my IQ is high doesn't matter to them, they treat me like I'm either stupid or like a little kid (I'm 18). I'm glad people who do know what Aspergers is don't treat me like that.
    Of course, when people hear the word 'mental disorder', it has the word mental and disorder in it.. doesn't sound too intelligent haha.
    But this is exactly what I'm talking about how it's embarrassing to admit and have people see you do your crap. People just don't understand.

Well obviously people who go through the same thing as you aren't going to think of you as different.
    I'm talking about people in general who have no idea about mental disorders and what some people go through.
    I don't meet such people though.

I don't meet such people though.
    Lucky you. Do you get out?

If OCD counts, then yes. I've gotton over most of it, but sometimes it still gets me.
    フェージングのエコー

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast