Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone suffer from a mental illnes?

Quote Originally Posted by Mandi. View Post
    Well I would never understand why someone would lie about having a true mental disorder, because overall it's just highly embarrassing and everyone around you thinks you're screwed up in the head completely.
    Considering how often Aspergers is diagnosed (not even counting self-diagnoses which are pretty clearly bull), and how a lot of the symptoms are very similar to "being a teenager," I wouldn't be surprised if some people just think they have a mental disorder because an "authority" figure told them. (Also -- and I don't know how true this is -- but parents have purportedly been seeking out Aspergers diagnoses for their kids, because it's apparently basically harmless and why not help a kid in an enormously underhanded way.)
    3DS FC: 3926-4256-2399
    Ingame name: Coatlicue

The usual links

Quote Originally Posted by pokegirl_1986 View Post
    well were all on a pokemon forum so i think everybody is sufering from a mental illness LOL
    You know, looking at all these posts, I'm starting to think that you're right after all...

Quote Originally Posted by AquaMilotic View Post
    Well, just about everybody who knows me thinks I'm wacky...

Also, a downside of Aspergers: often, when people who don't know what Aspergers is hear that I have Aspergers, they think it's some kind of mental handicap that lowers my intelligence and think I'm retarded. The fact that my IQ is high doesn't matter to them, they treat me like I'm either stupid or like a little kid (I'm 18). I'm glad people who do know what Aspergers is don't treat me like that.
    Well, I think pretty much every non-shipper thinks we're wacky =p

Of course, I don't have Asperger's, so I don't know exactly how you feel, but I've been through that as well. When I first came to the UK, everyone thought I was dumb (as in stupid) because I couldn't speak English well. Showed them all who they were dealing with when proceeded to kick everyone's butt in every test I took, though. B]

Of course, when people hear the word 'mental disorder', it has the word mental and disorder in it.. doesn't sound too intelligent haha.
    But this is exactly what I'm talking about how it's embarrassing to admit and have people see you do your crap. People just don't understand.
    Yes... That's also why I try to avoid telling people who are close-minded. I'm fine with telling people from who I know they are open-minded, but I hate having to tell people who are close-minded. Open-minded people who don't know what Aspergers is ask what it means, or give me the chance to explain it, while some others never ask what it is and just assume I'm retarded...

Also, some people think Aspergers isn't real and only see it as a way to get attention, which is really unfair... I get called "drama king" and "attention *****" sometimes, while I'm really not trying to get attention.

Also, things like, for example, the South Park episode about Aspergers (called "Ass Burgers" in South Park), can make things worse: some people really believe Aspergers is just a big lie and no real disorder... That kind of shows can have a bad influence on people who don't know about Aspergers: then South Park is the first thing they see about it, and they keep that in mind. Don't get me wrong, I love South Park, but that episode was quite painful to watch.

Another example: a teacher of mine some years ago once told about some show he saw about someone who has autism and also some mental disorder that made that person have an incredibly low intelligence. He (and me too) think such shows are wrong: it makes people who don't know about Autism think that all people with a form of autism (including Aspergers) are like that, which is really not true.

Quote Originally Posted by Flame Mistress View Post
    Well, I think pretty much every non-shipper thinks we're wacky =p
    Well, when purely looking at my own pro-Misty, pro-OS and pro-PokeShipping fanatism, I can't blame them. XD

Of course, I don't have Asperger's, so I don't know exactly how you feel, but I've been through that as well. When I first came to the UK, everyone thought I was dumb (as in stupid) because I couldn't speak English well. Showed them all who they were dealing with when proceeded to kick everyone's butt in every test I took, though. B]
    That must be horrilbe. It's good that you proved people wrong by getting good grades in school. Is your English fine now, and do you get treated normally now?
    Last edited by AquaMilotic; 9th October 2012 at 7:32 PM.

Well, when purely looking at my own pro-Misty, pro-OS and pro-PokeShipping fanatism, I can't blame them. XD
    People are like that when I tell them that I ship Ash and Dawn together, because to be fair, they are canonically 10-year-olds. XD and these are the people who ship a 13-year-old with a 37-year-old... talk about hypocrisy, man

That must be horrilbe. It's good that you proved people wrong by getting good grades in school. Is your English fine now, and do you get treated normally now?
    Yes, I'm alright at reading and writing English, and I guess my spelling and grammar are pretty good, too (as you probably noticed =p). But I still do stutter slightly when I speak English... still, it's not that big of a deal. I get treated normally now, yes.

Lucky you. Do you get out?
    Other than school, archery practice once a week and weight lifting 3-5 times a week I rarely leave the house.

Quote Originally Posted by Cenobitic View Post
    Considering how often Aspergers is diagnosed (not even counting self-diagnoses which are pretty clearly bull), and how a lot of the symptoms are very similar to "being a teenager," I wouldn't be surprised if some people just think they have a mental disorder because an "authority" figure told them. (Also -- and I don't know how true this is -- but parents have purportedly been seeking out Aspergers diagnoses for their kids, because it's apparently basically harmless and why not help a kid in an enormously underhanded way.)
    The age at which people get the diagnosis differs. I was 7 or 8 years old.

I was tested for Autism when i was a kid, but the tests came back negative, i wonder sometimes if it was wrong but i've never had the guts to go back.

Credit to Mr. Joker for the Glee banner
    Credit to Skiyomi for the lovely Blue Snover banner

If anyone is interested in a custom ribbon for your profile pic, be sure to check out Ayra's sprite thread in the fanart section, if you want to take a look at her work have a look at my profile.

Quote Originally Posted by Flame Mistress View Post
    People are like that when I tell them that I ship Ash and Dawn together, because to be fair, they are canonically 10-year-olds. XD and these are the people who ship a 13-year-old with a 37-year-old... talk about hypocrisy, man
    What 13-year-old do these people ship with what 37-year-old?

Yes, I'm alright at reading and writing English, and I guess my spelling and grammar are pretty good, too (as you probably noticed =p). But I still do stutter slightly when I speak English... still, it's not that big of a deal. I get treated normally now, yes.
    Well, I don't really notice any big spelling and grammar problems when reading this post and your previous post in this thread, but English isn't my main language, so I might miss mistakes.

Do you get wrongly judged for stuttering sometimes?

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Snover View Post
    I was tested for Autism when i was a kid, but the tests came back negative, i wonder sometimes if it was wrong but i've never had the guts to go back.
    I'd advise you to run the test again if you're unsure: otherwise, you might wonder about this for the rest of your life.

I'd advise you to run the test again if you're unsure: otherwise, you might wonder about this for the rest of your life.
    This.
    The mind is a very tricky bitch sometimes. Once you think you have something, your mind will tend to trick you and cause you to believe you have the wrong symptoms that aren't actually happening with you.

My mind on the other hand, constantly tricks me, because all OCD is, is a trigger in your brain that causes you to believe something is wrong or dangerous when nothing is at all.

This.
    The mind is a very tricky bitch sometimes. Once you think you have something, your mind will tend to trick you and cause you to believe you have the wrong symptoms that aren't actually happening with you.

My mind on the other hand, constantly tricks me, because all OCD is, is a trigger in your brain that causes you to believe something is wrong or dangerous when nothing is at all.
    i agree if u think you have something your mind starts to start to find things that could justify that thought...

and as i said before, most of my closest friends have a mental dissorder...so i know how hard it can be...and you would believe how many times i have talked someone out of suicide...i have even done it a few times on this site, to complete strangers...
    yes it is bad that people have these dissorders...but that doesnt mean that u cant live a happy life with them...
    #AlphaSapphire
    I am one of Jehovah's Witnesses.
    If you have a question about my religion, or wish to discuss my religion, the Bible, or anything related to this topic, feel free to PM or VM me, take a look at the information in my profile or visit our official website.

I have ADD and asbergers syndrome, I go to a Saturday session with kids with the same thing, I also work there

3DS XL FC for Pokemon Y 2595-0724-5772 IGN SmeargleRocks
    Shiny Number 1268

I can offer gen6 cloning services, I will only clone what I don't have as glitch cloning can take awhile and be stressful

Self caught shinies on Y 24
    first successfull (and accidental) MM Shelmet timid 31/1/19/31/31/31 4:25 pm EST 4/14/14
    Shiny XD Gale of Darkness Zubat caught September 17th 2012 @ 4:24 pm EST cave PokeSpot

FUC* ALL HACKERS!!!
    ALL Gen6 6IV Event pokemon are hacked

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    The age at which people get the diagnosis differs. I was 7 or 8 years old.
    Which is also part of what I'm putting forward. I don't think it's unlikely that there's an age bracket wherein AS misdiagnoses are more common. Just sort of a side thought. Nothing against you.

(Then again, maybe I think about it a lot because I recently found out about my mother's misdiagnosed bipolar disorder.)
    3DS FC: 3926-4256-2399
    Ingame name: Coatlicue

The usual links

I don't believe I do, but I probably have something...

tumblr
    - i've claimed zelos wilder, xerneas, and tales of the abyss
    Omega Ruby team:

I have anxiety/depression and adhd. I know most people claim that, but I actually believe I do have it. (not like I use it as an excuse for day to day life though) I've taken several different kinds of each depression and adhd medication. No matter the pill or the dose nothing worked. I was even in therapy just about my whole childhood, but that didn't help either. I just try and take one day at a time, and try to stay positive.

I have a friend with Asbergers, and I honestly didn't know it until last year when he told me. Basically, he seemed normal to me. He was exteremely smart, he skipped a grade, but hes only really great in the subject of math. And Poland. And Halo. And Pokemon. He was slightly socially awkward, but not extremely. Apparently, according to him, by spending a lot of time on Xbox live, he slowly started to overcome the social issues and learned to start talking with people. When I met him, he seemed pretty normal to me. Which is why I didn't believe him when he said that he has Asbergers. That, and I had no clue what it actually is (still kinda don't). But was okay with it since, well, why should I care if he has it? He's human. He has two arms, two legs, a torso and head. He's a person.

His main problem with having Asbergers is that he gets treated by our school like he's completely stupid. He gets sent to special needs classes, even though he has an IQ higher than most of the teachers at the school. He hates being treated like he's dumb, and I would give you his exact words, but I like not being banned.

But what I'm getting at here is that EVERYONE needs to sit down and understand what makes us human, and not what makes us different.

Quote Originally Posted by /b/ board
    What does Cheese Pizza mean?

Quote Originally Posted by Klizcool View Post
    he has Asbergers. That, and I had no clue what it actually is (still kinda don't)
    I have asbergers and still don't know the full gyst of it, I do know its a type of autism spectrum disorder where you can get obsessed or over interested in one thing like pokemon, video games in general, or a school subject like math or history, I just read we can also be physically clumsy, I am not that clumsy myself but I did ram Into a canoe in gym and almost knock someone over, not to mention I somehow tipped the canoe for the first time ever, you cab search for a full definition of what it is on Wikipedia
    Last edited by SmeargleRocks; 10th October 2012 at 6:20 PM.

Shiny Number 1268

I can offer gen6 cloning services, I will only clone what I don't have as glitch cloning can take awhile and be stressful

first successfull (and accidental) MM Shelmet timid 31/1/19/31/31/31 4:25 pm EST 4/14/14
    Shiny XD Gale of Darkness Zubat caught September 17th 2012 @ 4:24 pm EST cave PokeSpot

FUC* ALL HACKERS!!!

Quote Originally Posted by iliekmudkipz View Post
    I don't believe I do, but I probably have something...
    Same here.
    But you have to admit, for a part-time Nazi

He's freaking hot.

Quote Originally Posted by SmeargleRocks View Post
    I have asbergers and still don't know the full gyst of it, I do know its a type of autism spectrum disorder where you can get obsessed or over interested in one thing like pokemon, video games in general, or a school subject like math or history, I just read we can also be physically clumsy, I am not that clumsy myself but I did ram Into a canoe in gym and almost knock someone over, not to mention I somehow tipped the canoe for the first time ever, you cab search for a full definition of what it is on Wikipedia
    The Swedish and Dutch wikipedia articles about asperger's describe it very well, I doubt that you know any of those languages though. Unfortunately, the English wikipedia article about it is horrible (the last time I checked, which is probably about a year ago).

I have quite the short-time memory, but if it is a suffering, I do not know

I had some serious ADD/ADHD, although I am mostly grown out of it by now. Also I've had bouts of anxiety.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    The Swedish and Dutch wikipedia articles about asperger's describe it very well, I doubt that you know any of those languages though. Unfortunately, the English wikipedia article about it is horrible (the last time I checked, which is probably about a year ago).
    I checked it when I was posting, and yes you are right it is poorly worded, described, bad definition, and you are right sadly I can't read dutch or sweedish but I will take your word, also I think (from experience) that asbergers is what makes me think slightly slower than other people in my grade I'm not "that" though, I do wish I could fully describe what it is and wish I knew exactly as well

Shiny Number 1268

FUC* ALL HACKERS!!!

I checked it when I was posting, and yes you are right it is poorly worded, described, bad definition, and you are right sadly I can't read dutch or sweedish but I will take your word, also I think (from experience) that asbergers is what makes me think slightly slower than other people in my grade I'm not "that" though, I do wish I could fully describe what it is and wish I knew exactly as well
    I think that's a problem many people have is that they don't understand what's going on. If they don't know, then people start to assume things, and assumptions are bad. That's why it's important to go to a doctor instead of googling something. Just because you might see a semi descripiv that seems like it describes what's going on, it isn't. People like to jump to the closest conclusions about something. They make up their minds and self treat themselves, making a doctors job twice as hard. Although it may cost money, go see a real doctor, not wikipedia! I ht hearing about self diagnoses, it's just complete garbage. Sure, it seems like you have it, but it's normally a lot worse than what you actually have.

Quote Originally Posted by /b/ board
    What does Cheese Pizza mean?

Being slow isn't a symptom of aspergers, unless you're talking about being slow when people use sarcasm or figure of speech, but that applies to pretty much all forms of autism.

Actually, the term Aspergers is flawed and technically the same like high functioning autism. The person who described it (Hans Asperger) observed children with classic autism, I don't really have any clue why they still use the term.

Also if you wand good, scientific articles about it, I suggest you use things like google scholar, ehis, cinahl, etc if you want to know more about it. Not the regular google or anything of the sort.

I am indeed the one with the power of a god.
    The divine flames that I've absorbed
    will burn you to a crisp with nuclear energy and leave nothing behind!

I'm religious.

❝i have a craving.

a craving for something scrumptious.
    a human heart, perhaps. yours.

Quote Originally Posted by warawau View Post
    I'm religious.
    Which mental disorder caused it?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast