Thread: The Break of Dawn [OU]

Default The Break of Dawn [OU]

The Break of Dawn

This is my first OU Team. It is not weather oriented and can deal with multiple Weather Teams pretty well. It's also for PO.

Spoiler:- Team Building Process:

~In Depth~

Volcarona @ Life Orb
    Timid / Flame Body
    252 Speed / 252 SpA / 4 Hp
    31 / 31 / 31 / 31 / 31 / 31
    • Fiery Dance
    HP [Ground]
    • Quiver Dance
    • Bug Buzz

Fiery Dance is my main STAB unless there is Rain up , and I've used it instead of Flamethrower simply for the SpA raise. HP [Ground] lets me get Heatran on the switch. Bug Buzz is my secondary STAB , and allows me to hit Tyranitar where it hurts. Quiver Dance allows me a source of setting up when I need it.

Timid lets my Speed hit 328 , and with Modest 299 , which means I could use the extra Speed. I'm thinking of using a Focus Sash so I can get up atleast one Quiver Dance , any thoughts?

Salamence @ Lum Berry
    Jolly / Moxie
    252 Speed / 252 Atk / 4 Hp
    • Outrage
    • Dragon Dance
    • Substitute
    • Earthquake

Outrage provides a very powerful STAB , and a OHKO on most Pokemon that don't resist it. Earthquake hits Magnezone and other Steel Types which is well needed. DD is to set up. Sub allows me to block Statuses and Crits , which can be helpful. If not , Lum Berry can help against possible Burns.

Why Jolly? Because if not I could end up with a Speed Tie with other Salamence , in which case there is a 50% chance I could move last , which I cannot take. Moxie allows me to help net KOs occasionally.

Donphan @ Leftovers
    Impish / Sturdy
    252 Def / 116 Hp / 96 Atk
    • Earthquake
    • Ice Shard
    • Rapid Spin
    • Roar

Odd at a first glance , but it really can be helpful. Earthquake is my STAB , and let's me net a fw KOs here and there. Ice Shard can help me get a decent hit on Grass Types once Volcarona is down. Roar allows me to stop Pokemon from setting up and reset them at 0. Rapid Spin gets rid of Hazards , making it an easier battle.

EV's allow Attack to reach 300 and Hp to reach 350 , which are good numbers to aim for. Impish inncreases my Physical presence too. Leftovers heals me while doing my thing.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
    Sassy / Iron Barbs
    252 Hp / 128 Def / 128 SpD
    Gyro Ball
    • Leech Seed
    • Stealth Rock / Spikes
    Protect

My Defensive Core. It generally sets up Rocks to help with Sweeping. Leech Seed + Leftovers + Protect keeps me in top form. Gyro Ball is a powerful STAB , thanks to Ferrothorn's low Speed.

The EV's provide maximum Bulk and my Defenses top out at 330 a piece. Sassy helps with my Special Defense which is usually lower with Curse up.

Jellicent @ Leftovers
    Bold / Cursed Body
    252 Hp / 222 Def / 32 SpD / 6 SpA
    • Surf
    Recover
    • Will O Wisp
    • Taunt

Jellicent is normally a way for me to break down Physical Sweepers with my Crippling. Taunt stops set ups in their tracks , WOW breaks down Physical Sweepers , Surf is my STAB so I myself don't become Taunt bait and Recover can keep me healthy with Lefties healing.

The EV's let my Defenses reach the highest point and still be even , with the rest in Special Attack. Bold helps with Jellicent's poor Defense too.

Toxicroak @ Focus Sash
    Adamant / Poison Touch
    156 Speed / 226 Hp / 128 Atk
    • Drain Punch
    • Ice Punch
    • Sucker Punch
    • Bulk Up

Not the Bulkiest but it's got something to work with. Drain Punch is my STAB , and keeps me healthy. It's very usefl after reaching +2 and up too. Ice Punch hits Ground and Flying Types who threaten me , and Sucker Punch puts a dent in most Psychic Types bar Deoxys-D.

The EV's allow for even Defenses , decent Attack Power and Base 245 Speed which I kinda need. Adamant gives me an Attack boost which is appreciated. The Sash allows me to get off atleast one Attack before hetting KOed.

~Threats / Problems~

- Ice Types , since once Volcarona is down I'm very weak to it.
    - QuakeEdge users , although I haven't encountered any yet.
    - Jirachi , it can take a hit and set up a few CMs , and Sweep my Team.

Sprites taken from here.

So yeah , that's about it.
    Last edited by Aura Sensei™; 8th October 2012 at 11:25 PM.
    I'm feelin' electric tonight
    Cruising down the coast goin' 'bout 99
    Got my bad baby by my heavenly side
    I know if I go, I'll die happy tonight

Volcarona no to sash.. what's the point it isn't 0HKOed by everything put the 4 EVs in Def to switch 3 types to SR and not 2 also let you use life orb 11 times.
    Salamence good I guess though I prefer a mixed one with fire blast.
    Donphan don't use bright powder it is banned use leftovers instead also 252 HP, 176 defense and 80 attack is a better spread.
    Ferrothorn who is stupid enough to let you set till +6? when alsmost everything carrying HP fire KO you? use gyro ball or protect to stall leech seed or even thunder wave to screw jirachi.
    Rotom-W actually rotom IS a ground magnet people assume it is choiced and will spam volt switch. I don't like this set use the standard one it seems better or hydro pump>thunderbolt since you want to his some stuff like mamoswine..
    On toxicroak use 252 HP again more HP means more bulk than defenses.
    also run adamant since it is not a wall but a sweeper.. salac berry? I would use Life Orb or leftovers to abuse the opponent rain it is kind of a rain check which is good.

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Oak
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and the amount of zubat in caves, and I'm not sure about the former.
    Shortcut to damage calculator

Quote Originally Posted by Ilan View Post
    Volcarona no to sash.. what's the point it isn't 0HKOed by everything put the 4 EVs in Def to switch 3 types to SR and not 2 also let you use life orb 11 times.
    Salamence good I guess though I prefer a mixed one with fire blast.
    Donphan don't use bright powder it is banned use leftovers instead also 252 HP, 176 defense and 80 attack is a better spread.
    Ferrothorn who is stupid enough to let you set till +6? when alsmost everything carrying HP fire KO you? use gyro ball or protect to stall leech seed or even thunder wave to screw jirachi.
    Rotom-W actually rotom IS a ground magnet people assume it is choiced and will spam volt switch. I don't like this set use the standard one it seems better or hydro pump>thunderbolt since you want to his some stuff like mamoswine..
    On toxicroak use 252 HP again more HP means more bulk than defenses.
    also run adamant since it is not a wall but a sweeper.. salac berry? I would use Life Orb or leftovers to abuse the opponent rain it is kind of a rain check which is good.
    It's kinda hard to understand what you say.

I'm almost positive you can't use multiple Leftovers. What else is there?

I'll use Gyro Ball > Power Whip , but as it is I like it. It has worked for me.

I'll change the EV's to 226 Hp , sound good? Adamant will be used too.

IVs aren't needed, unless they're imperfect for some reason, like a specific Hidden Power type, or to be slower than a particular 'mon. Otherwise, we just assume perfect IVs.

Alright, your team.

No Focus Sash on Volcarona. Also, consider Hidden Power (Ground) over Mega Drain. It hits Rock types bar the rare Aerodactyl just as hard, and murders Heatran, one of Volcarona's most common switch-ins.

Skarmory can be a problem, especially if Rotom-W and Volcarona are dead. I'm also noticing a slight Ice weakness. While Ice types are uncommon in OU, Abomasnow, especially those who carry Hammer Arm, can be a problem. Cloyster devastates your team, especially if he gets up a Shell Smash. A Focus Sash on Toxicroak might help with that, but other options are availible, specifically replacing him with something more powerful.

Protect > Curse on Ferrothorn.

Brightpowder? Banned by hax item clause, and Leftovers is superior in the long run anyways.

EDIT: Multiple Leftovers is not banned.

You can shoot my body full of holes but ya can't kill the spirit of Rock N' Roll, baby! \m/

Quote Originally Posted by Sevensevens View Post
    IVs aren't needed, unless they're imperfect for some reason, like a specific Hidden Power type, or to be slower than a particular 'mon. Otherwise, we just assume perfect IVs.

Alright, your team.

No Focus Sash on Volcarona. Also, consider Hidden Power (Ground) over Mega Drain. It hits Rock types bar the rare Aerodactyl just as hard, and murders Heatran, one of Volcarona's most common switch-ins.

Skarmory can be a problem, especially if Rotom-W and Volcarona are dead. I'm also noticing a slight Ice weakness. While Ice types are uncommon in OU, Abomasnow, especially those who carry Hammer Arm, can be a problem. Cloyster devastates your team, especially if he gets up a Shell Smash. A Focus Sash on Toxicroak might help with that, but other options are availible, specifically replacing him with something more powerful.

Protect > Curse on Ferrothorn.

Brightpowder? Banned by hax item clause, and Leftovers is superior in the long run anyways.

EDIT: Multiple Leftovers is not banned.
    Okay then.

Salamence can handle Heatran well enough from my experience.

Sash it is.

Will do.

Okay I'll put Leftovers there.

Quote Originally Posted by Aura Sensai View Post
    The Break of Dawn

This is my first OU Team. It is not weather oriented and can deal with multiple Weather Teams pretty well. It's also for PO.

Spoiler:- Team Building Process:

~In Depth~

Volcarona @ Life Orb
    Timid / Flame Body
    252 Speed / 252 SpA / 4 Defence
    • Fiery Dance
    • Giga Drain
    • Quiver Dance
    • Bug Buzz

Fiery Dance is my main STAB unless there is Rain up , and I've used it instead of Flamethrower simply for the SpA raise. Giga Drain lets me hit Politoed and since Volcarona lures it in , I can usually OHKO it.
    Bug Buzz is my secondary STAB , and allows me to hit Tyranitar where it hurts. Quiver Dance allows me a source of setting up when I need it.

Timid lets my Speed hit 328 , and with Modest 299 , which means I could use the extra Speed. I'm thinking of using a Focus Sash so I can get up atleast one Quiver Dance , any thoughts?

Read Ilan's

Salamence @ Choice Scarf
    Jolly / Moxie
    252 Speed / 252 Atk / 4 SpA
    • Outrage
    • Dragon Claw
    • Fire Blast

• Earthquake/Aqua Tail

Outrage provides a very powerful STAB , and a OHKO on most Pokemon that don't resist it. Earthquake hits Magnezone and other Steel Types which is well needed. DD is to set up. Sub allows me to block Statuses and Crits , which can be helpful. If not , Lum Berry can help against possible Burns.

Why Jolly? Because if not I could end up with a Speed Tie with other Salamence , in which case there is a 50% chance I could move last , which I cannot take. Moxie allows me to help net KOs occasionally.

ScarfMence Doesn't need to set up to sweep, allowing it to barrel through teams that much faster. Also checks Genesect, which is a major threat to this team.

Donphan @ Leftovers
    Impish / Sturdy
    252 Def / 116 Hp / 96 Atk
    • Earthquake
    • Ice Shard
    • Rapid Spin
    • Roar/Stealth Rock

Odd at a first glance , but it really can be helpful. Earthquake is my STAB , and let's me net a fw KOs here and there. Ice Shard can help me get a decent hit on Grass Types once Volcarona is down. Roar allows me to stop Pokemon from setting up and reset them at 0. Rapid Spin gets rid of Hazards , making it an easier battle.

EV's allow Attack to reach 300 and Hp to reach 350 , which are good numbers to aim for. Impish inncreases my Physical presence too. BrightPowder lets me evade getting hit some times.

Rocks are better than Roar, even if Roar might sound nice. BrightPowder is banned, leftovers are better.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
    Sassy / Iron Barbs
    252 Hp / 128 Def / 128 SpD
    • Power Whip/Gyro ball
    • Leech Seed
    Spikes
    • Curse

My Defensive Core. It generally sets up Rocks to help with Sweeping. Leech Seed + Leftovers keeps me in top form while I'm setting up. Power Whip is a powerful STAB , which at +6 deals a lot despiite not getting much coverage. Gyro Ball might be better. Thoughts?

The EV's provide maximum Bulk and my Defenses top out at 330 a piece. Sassy helps with my Special Defense which is usually lower with Curse up.

It's ok. Gyro Ball gains more power every curse. Spikes since Donphan has Rocks.

Rotom-W @ Electric Gem
    Timid / Levitate
    252 Speed / 120 Def / 120 SpD / 16 SpA
    • Thunderbolt
    • Volt Switch
    • Will O Wisp
    • Pain Split

Rotom-W is my Crippler. Since it has Leviate and access to Hydro Pump , Ground Types wouldn't dare switch in which lets me not run it and get away with it. Thunderbbolt helps me put a dent in something with the Gem. Volt Switch lets me switch a counter in. WOW lets me break down Physical Sweepers and while doing so Pain Split heals me.

The EV's allow me 280 Base Defenses , and plenty of Speed to get off a WOW and Cripple. The rest was dumped into Special Attack for some extra firepower.

I... don't know what to say. Run standard Rotom-W.

Toxicroak @ Salac Berry
    Careful / Poison Touch
    156 Speed / 148 Def / 128 Atk / 76 SpD
    • Drain Punch
    • Ice Punch
    • Sucker Punch
    • Bulk Up

Not the Bulkiest but it's got something to work with. Drain Punch is my STAB , and keeps me healthy. It's very usefl after reaching +2 and up too. Ice Punch hits Ground and Flying Types who threaten me , and Sucker Punch puts a dent in most Psychic Types bar Deoxys-D.

The EV's allow for even Defenses , decent Attack Power and Base 245 Speed which I kinda need. Careful gives me a Special Defense boost which is appreciated.

I'm sure there are better options than Toxicroak. Maybe Smogon Mixed Dragon Dance Kigndra (http://www.smogon.com/bw/pokemon/kingdra/ou)? That helps with Rain and Ice Types.

~Threats / Problems~

- Ice Types , since once Volcarona is down I'm very weak to it.
    - QuakeEdge users , although I haven't encountered any yet.
    - Jirachi , it can take a hit and set up a few CMs , and Sweep my Team.

Sprites taken from here.

So yeah , that's about it.
    Comments in Bold.
    Last edited by cooloolcool; 8th October 2012 at 12:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cooloolcool View Post
    Comments in Bold.
    Kingdra is UU , right?

You can still use him in OU. When playing in a particular tier, you can use any Pokemon in a lower tier as well.

You can shoot my body full of holes but ya can't kill the spirit of Rock N' Roll, baby! \m/

It's kinda hard to understand what you say.

I'm almost positive you can't use multiple Leftovers. What else is there?

I'll use Gyro Ball > Power Whip , but as it is I like it. It has worked for me.

I'll change the EV's to 226 Hp , sound good? Adamant will be used too.
    I am sorry is you didn't understand what I said English is not my mother language, but I think I am alright or was it because I wrote in competitive terminology?

Anyway (I will try to use proper grammar this time)
    On Volacorona don't use sash and use 4 defense>4 HP
    Salamence- Fire Blast>Subtitute, Naive>Jolly
    There is no ban to multiple leftovers, but there is one to Bright Powder, due to evasion clause.
    Donphan set is ok.
    I wouldn't run curse on ferrothorn cause he have a very common weakness, instead put Protect or Thunder Wave.
    Rotom-W is too weird I don't know what to say about this set I would use Hydro Pump.
    Instead of Toxicroack you can use Gastordon if rain is what bothers you and it can sponge some ice beams try a build with 252 HP, 80 defense,176 sp.defense.
    Last edited by Ilan; 8th October 2012 at 1:26 AM.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and the amount of zubat in caves, and I'm not sure about the former.

Just saying, but Heatran @ Air Balloon will definatly ohko Mence with hp ice.

Quote Originally Posted by Sevensevens View Post
    You can still use him in OU. When playing in a particular tier, you can use any Pokemon in a lower tier as well.
    I don't feel the need for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilan View Post
    I am sorry is you didn't understand what I said English is not my mother language, but I think I am alright or was it because I wrote in competitive terminology?

Anyway (I will try to use proper grammar this time)
    On Volacorona don't use sash and use 4 defense>4 HP
    Salamence- Fire Blast>Subtitute, Naive>Jolly
    There is no ban to multiple leftovers, but there is one to Bright Powder, due to evasion clause.
    Donphan set is ok.
    I wouldn't run curse on ferrothorn cause he have a very common weakness, instead put Protect or Thunder Wave.
    Rotom-W is too weird I don't know what to say about this set I would use Hydro Pump.
    Instead of Toxicroack you can use Gastordon if rain is what bothers you and it can sponge some ice beams try a build with 252 HP, 80 defense,176 sp.defense.
    I'll make some changes , but would Jellicent work instead of Rotom? I was thinking of using Conkeldurr > Toxicroak too , thoughts?

Edit: Using Jellicent.
    Last edited by Aura Sensei™; 8th October 2012 at 5:25 PM.

I don't feel the need for it.

I'll make some changes , but would Jellicent work instead of Rotom? I was thinking of using Conkeldurr > Toxicroak too , thoughts?

Edit: Using Jellicent.
    It is a good choice it is bulkier than rotom-w and have better typing.

Sometimes a lower tier pokemon is a better choice like azumarill being used in a rain team or ninjask on BP team if you need them why not?
    Kindra can also counter rain which is always good.

Conkeldurr is ok I don't see the need of him but I guess it is fine.

You need to stop relying so heavily on the tier systems. Most of the best teams are not standard. They include creative and unique sets for the less commonly used Pokemon.

Jellicent @ Leftovers
    Bold / Water Absorb
    248 Hp / 216 Def / 44 Spe
    Scald
    Recover
    Toxic
    • Taunt

Changes in bold. Why run Surf? Scald is just slightly weaker and can burn, also making Will-o-Wisp unnecessary. Toxic is a secondary status, with the two attacks being able to status everything bar Heatran and Toxicroak. Recover is WAYYYY better than Protect (at least on this set) Taunt is OK. Cursed Body might annoy someone, but Water Absorb is by far the better option, letting it absorb Scalds and Surfs.

The only reason Toxicroak is OU is because it's a good rain counter(except for Hurricane users) and sweeper. Poison Touch would more be a nuisance, doing regular poison to stuff you would like to burn or Toxic poison. Dry Skin is better. Black Sludge would also help heal, which is better for a Focus Sash, especially on a bulky set-up attacker.

Run the ScarfMoxieMence posted earlier.

Decent team 3.5/5

252 +6 Atk Choice Band Pure Power Victini (+Atk)Critical V-create vs 0 HP/0 -6 Def Dry Skin Paras (-Def) : 103470436.36% - 121729963.64% (Guaranteed OHKO)

You Don't Say? I had no idea that a Choice Band Adamant Victini with maximum attack EVs and IVs that was baton passed +6 in attack and Skill Swapped Pure Power OHKO's Hasty Dry Skin Lvl 1 Paras with no defense EVs or IVs and -6 in defense under sun with a critical hit V-Create.