Thread: A Family as heroes

Default A Family as heroes

In my ongoing novel of Feli Chronicles Series, I challenged myself in writing a story where the family itself are the focus of the story.

But the family Genre has a bit more rules that are sometimes tricky to apply not found on a frienship and romance Fic.

What makes this genre unique compared to Romance and Friendship? What are its similarities to the aforementioned genres?

What are the different kinds of personality traits a mother, father, and a child have? (Most commonly used)

Spoiler:- See only if you want:
    Final Chapter: 38: Mountain's Edge(Click the Banner above)

While I like to write about romance and friendship, family seems to be the second biggest thing I write about, whether intentionally or not, since themes of it keep showing up in my work. I can see why, since family is important to me, even if I don't like my brothers at times, or that I get annoyed by my parents/grandparents (yes, it happens, le gasp).

Everyone has a different interpretation of family, so stories tend to differ from person to person if family is incorporated in the plot in some way, shape, or form.

Quote Originally Posted by jireh the provider View Post
    What makes this genre unique compared to Romance and Friendship? What are its similarities to the aforementioned genres?

Familial relationships go on the same vein as romantic relationships and friendships, but it also becomes a branch on its own. Romance tends to go more for the intimate, passionate side, friendship is platonic. Family, however, is a little bit of both. Family is close-knitted together to where it blends together elements from romance, and elements from friendships. Romance is more toward the parents who love each other very much, while friendships is between the siblings and/or if you're going to extended family, cousins.

A love between parent and child, however, goes deeper, possibly because a strong bond forms very early on. It's actually hard to point out exactly how a parent-child relationship works outside of protection and nurturing. As children can find father-mother figures in other people, we can say trust is a big part of the relationship, like it should be for all relationships.

What are the different kinds of personality traits a mother, father, and a child have? (Most commonly used)
    Traditionally, the father is the working man who provide for the family, the mother raises the children, and the children are... well, children, but they are the pupils, while the parents are the teachers.

But like I said, everyone has a different interpretation of a family, so the traditional setting is not going to be in everything these days. I figure that as long as you show how a family works in and outside of the home, what their relationship towards each other is, and just how they bounce off each other, you have a good understanding of family. Don't be afraid to use examples from your own family. We may or may not know the difference .

I'm going to be honest with you that when I saw the title, I immediately thought about The Incredibles. They're honestly a good role-model to how a family works, even though they're superheroes. There are lots of stories out there, animated or otherwise, that are about family if you need more examples to compare and contrast with. Why not challenge yourself with this task by looking at the list here, or others you are familiar of:

Compare and contrast Mulan's family in Mulan with Nani and Lilo in Lilo and Stitch.

Compare and contrast Hiccup and Stoick's father-son relationship from How to Train Your Dragon with Po and Ping's own father-son relationship from Kung Fu Panda.

Compare and contrast the Weasley siblings from the Harry Potter series with the Baudelaire orphans from A Series of Unfortunate Events series.

Compare and contrast Nagisa's family (or any family of your choice) from CLANNAD with the main family from My Neighbor Totoro.

There are loads of examples to choose from if you want a vast variety of family, both in fiction and in non-fiction. We won't berate you from taking examples from other work, just as long as you can prove you know family. And perhaps name your inspiration in the beginning of the summary/author's notes.
    Winner of Best Pokémon/Pokémon Fic of 2013 in the Shipping Oscars
    Current Chapter: Chapter Ten - 3/17/14 / Current: Requiem I - 11/17/14 - Chapter 21 progress: 66%
    I survived Pupa.

Quote Originally Posted by Kutie Pie View Post

Compare and contrast Mulan's family in Mulan with Nani and Lilo in Lilo and Stitch.

Compare and contrast Hiccup and Stoick's father-son relationship from How to Train Your Dragon with Po and Ping's own father-son relationship from Kung Fu Panda.

Compare and contrast the Weasley siblings from the Harry Potter series with the Baudelaire orphans from A Series of Unfortunate Events series.

Compare and contrast Nagisa's family (or any family of your choice) from CLANNAD with the main family from My Neighbor Totoro.

There are loads of examples to choose from if you want a vast variety of family, both in fiction and in non-fiction. We won't berate you from taking examples from other work, just as long as you can prove you know family. And perhaps name your inspiration in the beginning of the summary/author's notes.
    Not much knowledge about the last 3

But I CAN compare Mulan's and Lilo's family.

Both sides share the same trait about being protective to their child and their credits both gained something that is treasurable (Mulan is now one soldier who took down the army of the huns and honored by the Chinese Emperor [I did a role play with this film last year]. Stitch finally found a sister and a mother to live at Lilo's little Hawaiian family). For mulan's though, she was forced to follow the family tradition for being a woman while Nani allowed a bit of self freedom for Lilo to choose stitch. Nani is the worker while Mulan's father is the warrior who gives their family the emperor's honor.

I got a nice reason for starting this thread since I noticed a lot of the Filipino Teleseryes (equivalent of American TV shows) always have a family element. I was thinking maybe I could apply a bit of filipino culture in my Feli Chronicles. But it is quite difficult to modernize since a lot of those teleseryes are dominant with backwards tradition. I wanted to mix my story also with American and Japanese family cultures. I know its delirious but I think Philippines would be one of the dillusioned topics for some countries

Quote Originally Posted by jireh the provider View Post
    Not much knowledge about the last 3
    You should look them up. Most of them will each take you about a couple of hours to watch, meanwhile there's two book series mentioned, and an anime spanning two seasons, at least in the examples I gave. There are loads more out there I didn't put down either because I can't think of them at the moment, or the message was getting too long.

I got a nice reason for starting this thread since I noticed a lot of the Filipino Teleseryes (equivalent of American TV shows) always have a family element. I was thinking maybe I could apply a bit of filipino culture in my Feli Chronicles. But it is quite difficult to modernize since a lot of those teleseryes are dominant with backwards tradition. I wanted to mix my story also with American and Japanese family cultures. I know its delirious but I think Philippines would be one of the dillusioned topics for some countries
    Interesting. You should try and incorporate some Filipino culture in your story, it'll add a bit of unique spices to it. And as you grew up and do live with the culture, you have a better understanding of it than many people here. It may be difficult, but as a writer, you are always challenging yourself. You just try your best.

As for American and Japanese family cultures, you'll have to do extensive research on that, especially since America doesn't exactly have a set culture, as we are a potpourri of cultures (it's why we're called the "melting pot"). So if you want to do an American family, you'll have to pick a part of the United States for the family to be set in (if they're not overseas), and do the research of that particular area, as well as decide if the family is white or of another ethnicity. And even then you'll have to come up with their own personal moralities, because every family has a different set of moral values, especially when it comes to the individuals of the family. And as they have to live together, there will be conflicts.
    Winner of Best Pokémon/Pokémon Fic of 2013 in the Shipping Oscars
    Current Chapter: Chapter Ten - 3/17/14 / Current: Requiem I - 11/17/14 - Chapter 21 progress: 66%
    I survived Pupa.

Nice. But I could say .. in honesty, Philippines is "also a potopurri" like the americans too due to what some pinoys said would be "Land of the Talents" asides from "Pearl of the Orient Seas. Which makes Philippines in general like South East Asia's USA in terms of diversity in almost every category. I bet you know what OFW means right?

Below are some Filipinos popular worldwide as internationally famous in different categories. If you want to look at what I meant as how Philippines can be grandly influential like America as well.

Spoiler:- Media:

Spoiler:- Sports:

Anyways back on topic, Im not sure if youve met any american that had a filipino heritage?

But for me, I'd say the educated families (that got a job abroad like USA) do better in life even in Philippines than the ones who never went aboad. The crab menntaliy here is high that if one pinoy lacks foreign educational influence, some to most end up poor in mos of everyday problems (though some rather fake it with a smile and cover their shame, others are expressive to their failures).

That's why I like mixing the morality of Migrated Filipinos and Local Pinoys as my Character's morales

Spoiler:- examine if you dare: