Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Frustrating Anime Moments

- Pidgeot and Primeape being forgotten.

- The Battle Frontier arc taking virtually no advantage of the fact that it was in kanto. Amazing but underwhelming return of the 3 starters for the subliminal Fire Red/ Leaf Green plug, but then it fails at that too, because, you know, IT TAKES NO ADVANTAGE OF THE FACT THAT IT'S IN KANTO. Kind of ties in with the above.

- Ash's Torterra being useless once it evolves. Just HOW many times did it Rock Climb, then get thrown down 20 feet and faint because it just got thrown down 20 frakking feet?

- The fact that league battles are half action, half one-shot KO's that don't make sense because you can almost never allocate more than two episodes to them. Even Ash versus Paul had what were basically one-shots (TORTERAAAAAAAA).

- Ash's not catching a Spoink. That episode really implied it, and I think a Grumpig would have the right aesthetic and attitude to fit the crew.

^ Never underestimate the ability of 1 Megabyte to bring out every emotion imaginable.

I don't mind so much about Ash and Pikachu losing at the beginning in new regions. As people say, the anime is basically to advertise and boost game sales, so its not really built for the 'longevity' viewers. Presumably they assume a new generation of Pokéfans come with each new generation of Pokémon.

I remember, at the time, being really annoyed at Pokémon leaving. Butterfree had been there since the start, Primeape was hilarious, hard not to love Squirtle and Charizard, Pidgeot looked aweomse, Lapras grew on me, etc. Looking back now, I realise Butterfree had achieved its dream of becoming a Butterfree and with new Pokémon coming in, didn't really have much purpose. Primeape had gone from hating Ash to loving Ash quickly and was very powerful, etc... Long story short, in hindsight I can appreciate Pokémon leaving (its a bit more interesting than them just residing with Perve. Oak.

The anime frustrates me because of how tame it is and how lame Team Rocket became. Also the changes in voice actors, jesus christ they sound awful.

My regular disappointments follow.
    -> A few,but valuable older Pokemon being forgotten.
    -> The endless boring cycle.
    -> The separation of the original trio.
    -> Ash turning stupid,at the beginning of each season.
    -> The whole of the BW series.
    -> Pikachu reverting back to its former self at the beginning of each season.
    -> Misty and Brock being replaced.
    -> Aipom being written out.
    -> The older characters lacking cameos.
    -> Etc.

Those,are basically things which I can change nothing about.And yeah,that's exactly what makes them frustrating for me.

Quote Originally Posted by MattySadler View Post
    I don't mind so much about Ash and Pikachu losing at the beginning in new regions. As people say, the anime is basically to advertise and boost game sales, so its not really built for the 'longevity' viewers. Presumably they assume a new generation of Pokéfans come with each new generation of Pokémon.
    Then why not replace Ash after Kanto? After all, it'll be clear to newcomers that Ash has been to other regions as a Trainer (mostly in Hoenn and Sinnoh) so why not have new protagonists each region so they don't have to stretch out Ash's character arc for asinine reasons? Sure, there's a possibility that the new guys/girls would be repeats of Ash but at least they'd have a better excuse. I'd consider that the much lesser of two evils IMO.

You got that right! The Legend of Korra is returning on October 3rd! Mark your calendars!

Or they could let ash keep his intellignece and power like a certain purple haired Gary stu. But that's a topic for another day

Ash using a type disadvantage against EVERY gym leader. At this point, if a pokemon has a disadvantage, I know it's going to win.

Ash being the Main character for every gen. It'd explain it but I think this'll hit the nail on the head better:

Quote Originally Posted by LividZephyr View Post
    The issue nowadays is that Ash is an incredibly tired character that has no steam left whatsoever due to how they are constantly recycling the same old same old. He's not an exciting character, he's had virtually no development in 750 episodes, and his brain resets every time, as does his Pikachu's level (although twice within reason, given the electromagnetic field propelled onto him by Team Rocket going to Hoenn and Zekrom stealing his electrosis in Unova, but unfortunately both of those instances were only created to justify Pikachu becoming a Weakachu once again). It's pathetic that we don't even know who Ash's father is, and his reason is still to be the very best, when he has proven time and time again that he's incompetent until he has Pokemon who deliver. Honestly, he did do great in Sinnoh - it took hacked ubers to beat him - but he still had no development.

I think him resetting every time is essentially a way to keep the show fresh to the young generation, as a new arc starts every four years or so. They don't remember the prior generation like the experts do. That's why Ash is still so pathetic.

But in all honesty, if you're going to start all over every time, why keep the same lead character? Why didn't Hoenn have Brendan and May as the main protagonists, but have Brendan be bitter rivals with Ash? Why didn't Sinnoh focus on Dawn and Lucas, with Dawn being May and Drew's contest rival? Why didn't Unova reboot things, to have a journey with Hilda, Cheren, and Bianca? They could do so much more, but they don't. It may be a kids show, but where's the coherent story? It's pointless, all thanks to the twerp named Ashley David Ketchum.

You got that right! The Legend of Korra is returning on October 3rd! Mark your calendars!

Ash: "Hey, Stefan!"
    Stefan: "When will anybody get my name right?"

Also, how ash turned down the position to be a frontier brain even though he is always confident that he would become a pokémon master!
    Last edited by Mightyena97; 3rd November 2012 at 8:42 PM.
    So, I herd u liek mudkipz

Cilan defeated Trip

Nothing but basic. You want to know me more? Ask me everything! I am otaku, fujoshi, love yuri too. Self-proclaimed Trip's queen on Pokemon fandom
    Favorite 2014 Anime characters so far : Haruka/Konoha/Kuroha Kokonose, Rin Matsuoka, Haru Ichinose, Ayato Kirishima, Kaine Seiya, Shoyou Hinata, Izumi Sena, Souji Okita (BakuRock!), Yato, Yuu Sonoda, Nico Yazawa

I hate how ash never wins the league and never will, because he is reset every generation!!! Also the fact that being at a disadvantage doesn't matter, nor does the effectiveness of moves. (pikachu vs. Onix anyone). I also hate how ash's old pokemon have been forgotten. (i'm looking at you Kingler.) He caught them for a reason, i'd love to see them back in action!!!

Always watching. Always waiting. Never truly at peace in a realm of its own.
    Giratina will return....someday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeBMn...o6lVmUw8jWi5aA
    ^ This. This sums up all my feels.

Quote Originally Posted by HoneyLatte View Post
    This video does not exist.
    Sorry about that.

When Ash made it to the Sinnoh League Semi Finals and lost to a guy using a bunch of legendaries!
    DON'T LET OTHERS DEFINE YOU!
    YOU DEFINE YOURSELF!!
    Nintendo Network ID: Marbi-Z
    3DS Friend Code: 4596-9457-8718
    Platinum Team:
    Heartgold Team:
    White Team:
    White 2 Team:
    Alternates:
    I Love LOPUNNY and I Love GARDEVOIR too!
    Wanna battle and/or exchange 3DS Friend Codes?
    PM or VM me!

Quote Originally Posted by Marbi Z View Post
    When Ash made it to the Sinnoh League Semi Finals and lost to a guy using a bunch of legendaries!
    Trollbias says hi

Every. Single. Time. An. Evil. Looking. Legendary. Is. Shown. As. Misunderstood.

I find it very sad that potentially evil Pokémon (i.e. Mewtwo, Deoxys, Darkrai - he's really guilty of this- and Kyurem) aren't made evil and get slapped with the "Not Evil, Just Misunderstood" label. Mewtwo (initially) and Kyurem weren't exactly afflicted with this, but I find it very sad that a mutant alien virus and what is essentially the master of nightmares are portrayed as pussy-wussy won't-harm-a-fly good guys because of a throwaway line from an episode over 15 or so years old. I really hope Genesect doesn't suffer this "treatment".

Also, when a name is pronounced differently to what I say (they say ARK-ee-OPS, I say ARCH-ee-OPS).

No Tauros in the Kanto League
    Not returning for Pidgeot
    The whole Primeape idea
    No sign of Kingler for years
    Lack of evolutions in Johto
    Lack of screentime for BW reserves

They are the main ones
    Kanto: (x30)
    Orange Islands:
    Johto:
    Hoenn:
    Battle Frontier:
    Sinnoh:
    Unova:

WHO WILL BE NEXT?

Ash never winning the league. Sure it can help a character develop and it's not a bad idea but it's been going on for so long that it's ridiculous. And since we'll never know when new games will cease to made, that makes it worse. It makes a viewer (casual or otherwise) go from "I wonder what'll happen next?" to "Oh my god, will you just get it over with?" If the series was purely episodic with Ash having no overarching goal, that would've been better since I doubt his dream of being a Pokemon Master will have a good payoff.

Quote Originally Posted by matt0044 View Post
    Ash never winning the league. Sure it can help a character develop and it's not a bad idea but it's been going on for so long that it's ridiculous. And since we'll never know when new games will cease to made, that makes it worse. It makes a viewer (casual or otherwise) go from "I wonder what'll happen next?" to "Oh my god, will you just get it over with?" If the series was purely episodic with Ash having no overarching goal, that would've been better since I doubt his dream of being a Pokemon Master will have a good payoff.
    I agree. Ash isn't going to become a pokemon master, ever!!! It's really frustrating to have him get all the badges and some half decent pokemon and then end up getting beaten in the league. He needs to aim for a more realistic goal. This really frustrates me and i think we need someone to replace him. Although that would leave one less topic for this thread.

Always watching. Always waiting. Never truly at peace in a realm of its own.
    Giratina will return....someday.

ANYTHING where the writers were in this mindset: "We're in the money, we're in the money, let's SELFISHLY continue the status quo." Aka everything post-Johto
    Shinies: (Gift) (In-game event) (SR) (search) (random), (traded away) Sylveon (trade) (MM)
    Friend code: 4356-0061-9735, Redjirachi

FT: (all shiny)
    LF: (all shiny)

^It may not be related to the Anime itself, but when people claim everything that "companies" or "groups" do is for the money. The writers are creating a kid show that follows a video game. That video game has an incredible amount of creative abilities, hence why the show must go on as the games continue. That is why they continue with the show. Not just for the money. Please. At least have some positivity in your life.

The most frustrating thing is when you're watching the battles and you just can't help the characters so you end up hopelessly yelling "move!" or "use blabla". Lol. Well, at least when you're a kid it's frustrating. xD Some poor mistakes in dubbing are amusingly frustrating too.

It's also not really a moment, but I hate it when the dub changes the original. The job of the dubbers should be translating the anime, not changing it. It's what caused many PokeShipping-haters to say that PokeShipping is dub-only. Of course this is not true, the original still has plenty of hints left to justify PokeShipping. The dubbers shouldn't change anything, they should just translate the anime and do that without changing the content of what characters are saying. If I have to mention moments: every moment when the dubbers add, take away or change something in the anime.

Quote Originally Posted by RedJirachi View Post
    ANYTHING where the writers were in this mindset: "We're in the money, we're in the money, let's SELFISHLY continue the status quo." Aka everything post-Johto
    Because that totally doesn't describe OS at all.

Number one or two frustrating about the Anime...

ONE — Ash never ages!
    TWO — Ash never wins a League (don't count the Orange Islands or Battle Frontier)
    Interested in what Animes I watch? Click here to view

Ash using his Pokédex at Pokemons that he already seen a million times. See last episode. I was already afraid that he would use his pokedex on ALL evolutions of Eevee.

It still really pissed me off that Ash lost to that guy using a Darkrai & a Latios (what was his name again?) in the Sinnoh League.

Another one that really angered me was Dawn losing the Grand Festival. Well, I wasn't expecting her to win the whole thing but who she lost to just pissed me off. Dawn never beat Zoey at all and they should have at least let her beat Zoey and then have her lose to someone else.

That's really all the ones I can think of.
    Pokemon Alpha Sahppire Team

Trainer Name: Erin
    3DS FC: 0748-3470-9720

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast