Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Frustrating Anime Moments

Whenever Ash & Co. are about to die (like in the evil Togepi episode) and they are like '' psshhtt we can't die we are the main characters of a kids show we don't have to be afraid. ''

Quote Originally Posted by Dragoniss View Post
    - The change in voice actors. I can't watch the anime in English anymore, every time I hear Ash's new voice I cringe.
    I feel your pain, and really, it is beyond frustrating for me...even now. I sadly will always miss the old English voice actors, even though I know they are never coming back. BW116's dub just reminded me why I felt the switch was a mistake back then, and why I sadly feel it always has been. I'm used to the current voice cast by now, but I am sadly just not satisfied with their work. I can't even explain why that is. They're not even bad anymore, but they're not particularly good either, in my eyes. To me, they lack the passion, enthusiasm, and love the original voice cast brought to their roles.

The original voice actors made the characters feel almost like real people, like actual human beings, and seemed to put a great deal of love into what they did. The current voice actors are decent, but they don't have that touch of humanity that the original crew brought to the series. It makes the show feel so boring now.

Since the original English voice cast were replaced, the show's feel has become totally different because of it, and that one change is either the second biggest mistake, or possibly THE biggest mistake ever made in Pokémon history for me.

When I see Ash, even now, I imagine Veronica Taylor's voice coming out of him. Same goes for Brock or James. I imagine Eric Stuart's voice in my head when I see them. When I see Misty or Jessie, I imagine Rachael Lillis' voice. Meowth is really defined by Maddie's voice to me.

Heck, even when I see Max, I imagine Amy Birnbaum's voice for him. We had some pretty incredible voice actors in the Pokémon dub, and all I can say, is that it's a shame they couldn't continue on with the characters they seemed to bring to life so well. Their performances have really stood the test of time in my eyes, and even now, anytime I watch the older episodes I start to cry a bit seeing what we once had.

Other frustrating anime moments for me include Misty's departure, May and Max's departure, the Unova League's handling, and Ash not winning a regional league.

Quote Originally Posted by MattySadler View Post
    I remember, at the time, being really annoyed at Pokémon leaving. Butterfree had been there since the start, Primeape was hilarious, hard not to love Squirtle and Charizard, Pidgeot looked aweomse, Lapras grew on me, etc. Looking back now, I realise Butterfree had achieved its dream of becoming a Butterfree and with new Pokémon coming in, didn't really have much purpose. Primeape had gone from hating Ash to loving Ash quickly and was very powerful, etc... Long story short, in hindsight I can appreciate Pokémon leaving (its a bit more interesting than them just residing with Perve. Oak.

The anime frustrates me because of how tame it is and how lame Team Rocket became. Also the changes in voice actors, jesus christ they sound awful.
    Agreed for the most part.
    Last edited by PokemonNation2000; 7th July 2013 at 8:34 AM.
    Opinions Regarding the Pokémon:
    1. Anime: OS > AG > BW > DP > XY
    2. Movies: OS = AG > DP = BW = XY
    3. English Dub: 4Kids Entertainment/TAJ Productions (EP001-EP276; AG001-AG020) = 4Kids Entertainment (AG021-AG145) = TPCi/SDI Media (The Origin)/Very Good > TPCi/DuArt Film & Video (BW)/Poor > PUSA/TPCi/TAJ Productions (AG146-AG192)/Very Poor > TPCi/DuArt Film & Video (XY) = PUSA/TPCi/TAJ Productions/DuArt Film & Video (DP)/Atrocious
    4. Games: XY > BW1 > BW2 > RSE > GSC > Y > HGSS > DP > RBG
    5. Pokémon: The Origin: Excellent: 93/100.
    6. Manga: RS > RB > Y > FRLG > XY > BW > E > DP > GSC
    "It's like with each new Generation, Dogasu becomes an even bigger idiot than he was the last Generation." - Kalos Adventurer

Quote Originally Posted by Dwail8023 View Post
    ROFL.

Talk about not even trying to make that translation sound less literal.
    To be fair, ADV dubs and Bandai dubs have the dub dialogue follow the subtitles closely but the delivery of the actors make it sound natural.

Quote Originally Posted by matt0044 View Post
    To be fair, ADV dubs and Bandai dubs have the dub dialogue follow the subtitles closely but the delivery of the actors make it sound natural.
    That's a good point.
    Opinions Regarding the Pokémon:
    1. Anime: OS > AG > BW > DP > XY
    2. Movies: OS = AG > DP = BW = XY
    3. English Dub: 4Kids Entertainment/TAJ Productions (EP001-EP276; AG001-AG020) = 4Kids Entertainment (AG021-AG145) = TPCi/SDI Media (The Origin)/Very Good > TPCi/DuArt Film & Video (BW)/Poor > PUSA/TPCi/TAJ Productions (AG146-AG192)/Very Poor > TPCi/DuArt Film & Video (XY) = PUSA/TPCi/TAJ Productions/DuArt Film & Video (DP)/Atrocious
    4. Games: XY > BW1 > BW2 > RSE > GSC > Y > HGSS > DP > RBG
    5. Pokémon: The Origin: Excellent: 93/100.
    6. Manga: RS > RB > Y > FRLG > XY > BW > E > DP > GSC
    "It's like with each new Generation, Dogasu becomes an even bigger idiot than he was the last Generation." - Kalos Adventurer

Ash still being the main character of the show. What? It's not okay to not like Ash as main character? Really this is the most frustrating thing about the Pokemon anime for me. It wasn't always this bad, but as time goes on I crave a new character to see the world of Pokemon through their journey and see how other trainers travel around. Not that I hate Ash, I just want something new. Heck he can even play a mentor role instead of axing him.

Another frustrating thing is the Pokemon cast usually always have similar personalities to past Pokemon from the previous region we just got out of. It's bad enough the main character's Pokemon are always Pikachu, fire, water, grass, and flyer, but when their personalities match a past Pokemon cast then why even replace the Pokemon? Oshawott channels Piplup almost perfectly minus being out of it's Poke Ball all the time. Once Buizel went to Ash it became a poor man's Treecko/Grovyle/Sceptile only it was a water type. The birds I can never tell them apart. If you must have the same Pokemon types then please, at least give them new personalities. I know a kids show is limited but come on.
    Parena or Serecham both equal Serena+Pancham!

The fact Ash was so incompetent in the Unova League. Trip ended up looking like a better trainer then him and Cameron made him look weak even though Ash had the advantage.

Ash losing every tournament he gets into, Ash getting rid or leaving his really good pokemon with Oak (sceptile, torterra, Infernape, heracross etc.), Ash having an episode devoted to having a fight with with the female main character, May, Dawn etc.

When I was a kid, my most frustrating moments was the Pokemon trainer saying, "[insert Pokemon name here], no!", mostly when their Pokemon is hit by an attack. That quote annoys me when I was like the same age as Ash Ketchum.

Quote Originally Posted by thegoodguy3221 View Post
    When I was a kid, my most frustrating moments was the Pokemon trainer saying, "[insert Pokemon name here], no!", mostly when their Pokemon is hit by an attack. That quote annoys me when I was like the same age as Ash Ketchum.
    Ah, such is the hallmark cliche of anything Shonen or toyetic (even Beyblade).

Every time Oshawott butts in.

I am so sick of that otter.

Quote Originally Posted by Janovy View Post
    Every time Oshawott butts in.

I am so sick of that otter.
    Well Oshawott is at least funny. Piplup is downright intolerable for me.

<--My tumblr
    Quote Originally Posted by EmphaticPikachu
    DRACO NO STOP. DRACO DOWN. DRACO NO FLIRTING WITH ME.
    Quote Originally Posted by Noodlerama

FF.Net profile: Here!!
    \

Quote Originally Posted by Dracoflare View Post
    Well Oshawott is at least funny. Piplup is downright intolerable for me.
    See, it's the opposite for me. Piplup came first, Piplup was funny.

Oshawott for me is a just a failed attempt at copying Piplup, he may act like Piplup be he's not funny at all, to me.

Quote Originally Posted by J Ken View Post
    The fact Ash was so incompetent in the Unova League. Trip ended up looking like a better trainer then him and Cameron made him look weak even though Ash had the advantage.
    This doesn't seem like a frustrating moment for me since Trip lost the battle and Cameron being dummer than him. Giving someone overrated and over powered pokemon is more frustrating than always throwing Ash under the bus just so someone can look good.

My ideal battle ever!

Quote Originally Posted by Janovy View Post
    See, it's the opposite for me. Piplup came first, Piplup was funny.

Oshawott for me is a just a failed attempt at copying Piplup, he may act like Piplup be he's not funny at all, to me.
    To me, I dislike both of them.

However, I don't dislike the whole line. I dislike those two in particular. I can also make exceptions regarding specific Pokémon that are my favorite because of how stupid the writers display them.

It is funny, because most say that the anime made people love oshawott in general, but it was the opposite for me. The anime made me just like it a lot less, but it made me like samurott way more because of how it was always portrayed.
    My first shiny ever caught!

Named Admiral Sentret

I get very frustrated when ash uses his pokedex on Pokemon he knows and worst of all, Pokemon he owns/owned. He used his Pokedex on charmader...

Regarding ash's age and never winning. Apparently the creater of Pokemon wanted ash to turn into red and become a great trainer, however, it was decided that ash should remain 10 as Pokemon was doing so well and they wanted to milk it and make maximum profit from it (This was not something the creator was happy about of course). They though by keeping him ten, that would be more appropriate for young audience. However, what frustrates me, is okay keep him 10 but at least make him win a big tournament from time to time.

Also is there any credible evidence that a young main character is more pleasing to younger audience? I mean look at Yu-Gi-Oh, yusei,jaden,yugi were all teens and and older right?

Other moments in Pokemon that frustrated me are:

1- Pikachu loosing to some random weak Pokemons
    2- Team rocket is just becoming very boring now. I mean why go after pikachu when you have the only known talking Pokemon?
    3-Charizard being same size (perhaps even looking smaller) at when ash left at charizard vally, I mean he should be much bigger and intimidating by now...

There are many more examples and tbh with you all, I don't think the young Pokemon audience really notice all these faults... The faults are bought up by old school Pokemon fans who pay too much attention to every details.
    Last edited by Garbodor.; 21st July 2013 at 9:55 PM.

How there apparently HAS to be a cook on Ash's team. Apparently he never heard of fast-food.

How the main rivals have to get their *sses handed to them to change yet when the non main rivals get their *sses handed to them they stay the same. In most cases the non main rivals are actually worst off the same then the main rivals would have been if they were still the same.

Oshawott. Just, Oshawott. I hate the fact knowing every second it has screen time, Snivy could've been developed. And also, it's a crappy Piplup clone. At least Piplup had some entertainment at times -_-

And Axew. STOP GETTING LOST AXEW! WE DON'T CARE ANYMORE!!!

Trip losing in round 1. Pikachu should have lost to Serperior to save us from the rest of Ash's terrible Unova League run.

If Oshawott was funny and actually battled more, he would have less haters.

When the league conferences have 1 on 1 prelims. Why do trainers have to go through hell just to risk their entire journeys on 1 Pokemon. -.-

Quote Originally Posted by J Ken View Post
    When the league conferences have 1 on 1 prelims. Why do trainers have to go through hell just to risk their entire journeys on 1 Pokemon. -.-
    Or, for that matter, having a very convenient amount of trainers to divide the numbers by 2 every time. What about the rest of people who managed less than seven badges? I wish the anime explained this in detail. Do they get screwed and have to recollect badges again?

Quote Originally Posted by AuraChannelerChris View Post
    Or, for that matter, having a very convenient amount of trainers to divide the numbers by 2 every time. What about the rest of people who managed less than seven badges? I wish the anime explained this in detail. Do they get screwed and have to recollect badges again?
    That is aggravating. It seems unfair for those people even if they are just anime characters.

Quote Originally Posted by absol_trainer View Post
    Yes, the anime does spoon feed children and does restate facts and motives. That is because its tailored to children! Children have much shorter attentions spans and sometimes don't make the connections that an adult- or even a preteen would make. My 5 year old cousin loves the anime. If I asked him, I'm sure he wouldn't complain that the masterminds of the Pokemon anime were babying down the dialogue too much. He's a child and he is enjoying it for what it is- a children's show.
    It'd be fine if it was only just that. I've put up with it in Yu Gi Oh. It's the rest of the dialogue (TPCi dub that's too accurately translated for it's own good) that tends to be very, very inane that gives the impression that the script writers couldn't give less of a crap. That coupled with the characterizations can make for pretty boring exchanges and interactions (not all the time but a lot of times).

Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617 LastLast