Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Frustrating Anime Moments

Whenever Ash tried to befriend Paul. It's like he had a mad boner for him because he couldn't be friends with him and that's Ash's fetish, mean people who don't wanna be best buddies with Ash.

Inane exchanges of dialogue that sound like they're catering to babies and not kids around ten, especially when they emphasize something good like N's desire to help Pokemon. Urgh, even shows on PBS Kids don't have an overabundance of this. This is a reason why MLP:FiM is highly regarded. It's a kids show that doesn't talk down to its viewer young or not. A shock given the franchise's reputation. But anyways...

How there apparently MUST be a chef in Ash's crew. Can't Ash order take-outs (if they exist in Pokemon) or learn to make his own food like other Trainers clearly do?
    Last edited by matt0044; 23rd June 2013 at 2:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by matt0044 View Post
    Inane exchanges of dialogue that sound like they're catering to babies and not kids around ten, especially when they emphasize something good like N's desire to help Pokemon. Urgh, even shows on PBS Kids don't have an overabundance of this. This is a reason why MLP:FiM is highly regarded. It's a kids show that doesn't talk down to its viewer young or not. A shock given the franchise's reputation.
    I mean you do realize it's a kids show though, right?

But yeah, I also forgot about how Ash never ages. That used to REALLY get on my nerves. I mean he could have turned 11 and they wouldn't even have to change his character design. Then again, the Pokemon franchise has never been known to mix things up.
    HOENNNNNNNN

Quote Originally Posted by absol_trainer View Post
    I mean you do realize it's a kids show though, right?
    Thank you, Captain Obvious. What would I've done without you? Pokemon's for kids? Why didn't I know that? (In case you don't know, that was sarcasm).

Furthermore, did you even read my whole post? I clearly acknowledge the Pokemon series as being one that kids enjoy but I was pointing out how the dialogue is needlessly inane, incredibly babyish (yes, there's a difference between that and childish. Who'd've thunk it, right?) and vapid. Especially when other kids shows (Anime or otherwise) refrain from this and with good reason.

Sorry but that excuse has gotten stale and invalid. Please try again.

Ash: Give <stolen Pokémon> back right now!

I mean, seriously, like that even works.

Spoiler:- Credits::

- please excuse my shoddy syntax for some reason I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by Azimuth1011 View Post
    Ash: Give <stolen Pokémon> back right now!

I mean, seriously, like that even works.
    To his defense, it's more like a reflexive action. He doesn't actually expect them to return.

<--My tumblr
    Quote Originally Posted by EmphaticPikachu
    DRACO NO STOP. DRACO DOWN. DRACO NO FLIRTING WITH ME.
    Quote Originally Posted by Noodlerama

FF.Net profile: Here!!
    \

Spoiler:

And Cameron and Tobias. Seriously, Ash should've sweeped that team. And Tobias... where on earth did he get Darkrai and Latios?
    Last edited by Sushi; 24th June 2013 at 3:46 PM.

I really shouldn't have to do this, but it's happening way too often. PLEASE elaborate your posts. Saying things like "so and so leaving" or "this and that happened" is not a good answer. You need to explain yourself, because not everyone remembers, cares, or agrees with your sentiment, and it turns into unneeded spam.

Thanks.
    Encyclopika's Fic of the Moment:

Encyclopika:
    Made the banner
    Is a GIRL. >.>;;
    Has a deviantART account and a Tumblr
    Is on Fanfiction.net.
    Need a moveset for a specific Pokemon for a specific contest? PM me!
    Don't reply to my infractions. It's not gonna change anything.

Random friend requests do nothing. Let's actually talk first. >_<

Thank you, Captain Obvious. What would I've done without you? Pokemon's for kids? Why didn't I know that? (In case you don't know, that was sarcasm).

Furthermore, did you even read my whole post? I clearly acknowledge the Pokemon series as being one that kids enjoy but I was pointing out how the dialogue is needlessly inane, incredibly babyish (yes, there's a difference between that and childish. Who'd've thunk it, right?) and vapid. Especially when other kids shows (Anime or otherwise) refrain from this and with good reason.

A thousand pardons. I am well aware of what sarcasm is. If the Pokemon anime offends you so much by talking down to children, I would respectfully ask that you not talk down to me.

At any rate...

The fact of the matter is the Pokemon anime is essentially one big ad for the games. That's why there are generally new sagas that tie in with the start of a new generation, special episodes that introduce side games (like Pokemon Ranger), or introducing new Pokemon through movies and shorts. This anime is clearly not about story, as we have had so many loop holes, filler, and a main character who has yet to become a "Pokemon Master." He basically resets to a rookie at the start of each region, and catches a whole new set of Pokemon. On the other hand, if he ever did succeed, the anime would be over (or they could FINALLY introduce a new hero) Not to mention that they have basically cranked out one episode every week of the year for the past 15 years.

Yes, the anime does spoon feed children and does restate facts and motives. That is because its tailored to children! Children have much shorter attentions spans and sometimes don't make the connections that an adult- or even a preteen would make. My 5 year old cousin loves the anime. If I asked him, I'm sure he wouldn't complain that the masterminds of the Pokemon anime were babying down the dialogue too much. He's a child and he is enjoying it for what it is- a children's show.

You mentioned My Little Pony. I've never watched it, but from my understanding there are jokes and story lines that go over children's heads- but they do get a laugh out the parent who is watching. Obviously there are some more adult aspects of My Little Pony, otherwise we wouldn't have so many "bronies."

In summary, BOTH shows are targeted at kids. They both entertain kids, but one is also meant to entertain adults watching with their kids. Again, Pokemon has never really been about character development. It's never been awarded for its story lines. I think you are comparing it to a different type of children's show that is, quite frankly, out of its league.
    HOENNNNNNNN

Quote Originally Posted by absol_trainer View Post
    A thousand pardons. I am well aware of what sarcasm is. If the Pokemon anime offends you so much by talking down to children, I would respectfully ask that you not talk down to me.

At any rate...

The fact of the matter is the Pokemon anime is essentially one big ad for the games. That's why there are generally new sagas that tie in with the start of a new generation, special episodes that introduce side games (like Pokemon Ranger), or introducing new Pokemon through movies and shorts. This anime is clearly not about story, as we have had so many loop holes, filler, and a main character who has yet to become a "Pokemon Master." He basically resets to a rookie at the start of each region, and catches a whole new set of Pokemon. On the other hand, if he ever did succeed, the anime would be over (or they could FINALLY introduce a new hero) Not to mention that they have basically cranked out one episode every week of the year for the past 15 years.

Yes, the anime does spoon feed children and does restate facts and motives. That is because its tailored to children! Children have much shorter attentions spans and sometimes don't make the connections that an adult- or even a preteen would make. My 5 year old cousin loves the anime. If I asked him, I'm sure he wouldn't complain that the masterminds of the Pokemon anime were babying down the dialogue too much. He's a child and he is enjoying it for what it is- a children's show.

You mentioned My Little Pony. I've never watched it, but from my understanding there are jokes and story lines that go over children's heads- but they do get a laugh out the parent who is watching. Obviously there are some more adult aspects of My Little Pony, otherwise we wouldn't have so many "bronies."

In summary, BOTH shows are targeted at kids. They both entertain kids, but one is also meant to entertain adults watching with their kids. Again, Pokemon has never really been about character development. It's never been awarded for its story lines. I think you are comparing it to a different type of children's show that is, quite frankly, out of its league.
    I don't honestly watch MLP, but I've heard that its quality is above average. Maybe it's better than Pokémon.

Hey, an American cartoon targeted at kids beats Pokémon. Sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by AuraChannelerChris View Post
    I don't honestly watch MLP, but I've heard that its quality is above average. Maybe it's better than Pokémon.

Hey, an American cartoon targeted at kids beats Pokémon. Sweet.
    Lets put it this way. Grown men are proud to be bronies, most men wouldn't be caught dead watching Pokemon.

- Pikachu getting beaten by a starter... (Unova Snivy) It's like he is forever stuck at level 10 or something.
    - Ash not using charizard in the Sinnoh league.
    - Ash taking out his pokédex every single time for the weakest pokémon that he has already met before.
    - Team rocket trying to capture a mere pikachu for more than ten years when there is a freakin' talking meowth in their team...
    - May loosing to Dawn in the Wallace cup, I mean seriously? Are you joking me? May has waaaay more experience and yet she lost... That's just so weird.
    - The last episode of Diamond and Pearl, because I cried there... Crying makes me frustrated, don't judge me
    - That Tobias had a bunch of legendaries, I thought that you weren't allowed to catch legendaries in anime...
    - That Iris got a dragonite
    - That ash's snivy still doesn't evolve.
    - Some of the Gym Leaders

I think that's about it.
    There is no upperhand hand, I'm giving you mine. It doesn't have to end up wasting your time. There's things that I could say, here in my way. I wanna let you know, that it's all okay.

You love pizza!

Go eat Tuna fish!

I still have no life. Trololo ~

Black 2. My fc : 4213 5452 6544

(Credit goes to FairyWitch)

(Credit goes to Astral Shadow)

I could go on and on and on, so I'm just going to say I don't really like the anime. I'm not a hater or anything, and I sort of like N's saga, just I generally don't like the anime. I'm fine with people who do like it though. I think it's getting better with N being around. Although, I sorta hated N when he interrupted Ash's Charizard fighting Iris's Dragonite, because I wanted to see who would win.
    Last edited by Fairy Type Arceus; 26th June 2013 at 3:42 AM. Reason: Adding some stuff

Quote Originally Posted by AuraChannelerChris View Post
    The thread of it in the Entertainment Sec. speaks volumes for itself.

Quote Originally Posted by xYachu View Post
    - Pikachu getting beaten by a starter... (Unova Snivy) It's like he is forever stuck at level 10 or something.
    Agreed. It's like Zekrom wiped out all the experience he had.
    Agreed
    - Ash taking out his pokédex every single time for the weakest pokémon that he has already met before.
    It's a way for kids to learn.
    - Team rocket trying to capture a mere pikachu for more than ten years when there is a freakin' talking meowth in their team...
    Actually, in BW1 and (sort of)Episode N they were doing other stuff. Since Da!, though... I think TR should go.
    - May loosing to Dawn in the Wallace cup, I mean seriously? Are you joking me? May has waaaay more experience and yet she lost... That's just so weird.
    Advertising Piplup is the answer, but I kinda agree.
    - The last episode of Diamond and Pearl, because I cried there... Crying makes me frustrated, don't judge me
    - That Tobias had a bunch of legendaries, I thought that you weren't allowed to catch legendaries in anime...
    Agreed.
    Agreed.
    Agreed, but Snivy actually has a cute voice in the japanese dub.
    Agreed
    I think that's about it.
    You also forgot to mention why did they reboot Ash and why Dawn lost to Iris in the Junior Cup.

Quote Originally Posted by Dracoflare View Post
    To his defense, it's more like a reflexive action. He doesn't actually expect them to return.
    It's still annoying. Along with Ash and co. explanation to the CoTDs on Team Rocket. Take a shot every time this is said: "They're a bad group of people who steal Pokemon."

I have to agree. The dialogue is not only insanely childish, but insanely ridiculous nowadays. I mean, "stash it in the hatch," "pilfering us a bunch of primo Pokémon," "dig it, jack," "Daniel reminds me of me," "o'course," etc.

...What?...

I mean, who actually talks like this in real life? O_O

It's still annoying. Along with Ash and co. explanation to the CoTDs on Team Rocket. Take a shot every time this is said: "They're a bad group of people who steal Pokemon."
    *Gets insanely drunk*
    Last edited by PokemonNation2000; 30th June 2013 at 1:35 AM.
    Opinions Regarding the Pokémon:
    1. Anime: OS > AG > BW > DP > XY
    2. Movies: OS = AG > DP = BW = XY
    3. English Dub: 4Kids Entertainment/TAJ Productions (EP001-EP276; AG001-AG020) = 4Kids Entertainment (AG021-AG145) = TPCi/SDI Media (The Origin)/Very Good > TPCi/DuArt Film & Video (BW)/Poor > PUSA/TPCi/TAJ Productions (AG146-AG192)/Very Poor > TPCi/DuArt Film & Video (XY) = PUSA/TPCi/TAJ Productions/DuArt Film & Video (DP)/Atrocious
    4. Games: XY > BW1 > BW2 > RSE > GSC > Y > HGSS > DP > RBG
    5. Pokémon: The Origin: Excellent: 93/100.
    6. Manga: RS > RB > Y > FRLG > XY > BW > E > DP > GSC
    "It's like with each new Generation, Dogasu becomes an even bigger idiot than he was the last Generation." - Kalos Adventurer

Quote Originally Posted by Dwail8023 View Post
    I have to agree. The dialogue is not only insanely childish, but insanely ridiculous nowadays. I mean, "stash it in the hatch," "pilfering us a bunch of primo Pokémon," "dig it, jack," "Daniel reminds me of me," "o'course," etc.

...What?...

I mean, who actually talks like this in real life? O_O
    Stoners, maybe?

And TRio aside, let's not forget about some of what Ash says. He rarely comes off as an actual "kid." Well, one that isn't a total goober, that is.
    Last edited by matt0044; 30th June 2013 at 2:24 AM.

Stoners, maybe?

And TRio aside, let's not forget about some of what Ash says. He rarely comes off as an actual "kid." Well, one that isn't a total goober, that is.
    Exactly! ROFL.

Ash, BW041: "Pikachu's about to hit the wall!"

The "o'course," and "kay(s)" aren't helping, either.

O_O
    3. English Dub: 4Kids Entertainment/TAJ Productions (EP001-EP276; AG001-AG020) = 4Kids Entertainment (AG021-AG145) = TPCi/SDI Media (The Origin)/Very Good > TPCi/DuArt Film & Video (BW)/Poor > PUSA/TPCi/TAJ Productions (AG146-AG192)/Very Poor > TPCi/DuArt Film & Video (XY) = PUSA/TPCi/TAJ Productions/DuArt Film & Video (DP)/Atrocious
    "It's like with each new Generation, Dogasu becomes an even bigger idiot than he was the last Generation." - Kalos Adventurer

Ash, BW041: "Pikachu's about to hit the wall!"
    http://solutionproblem.files.wordpre...in-obvious.jpg

ROFL.

Talk about not even trying to make that translation sound less literal.

There's got to be a better balance between being TOO faithful to the point of lines coming out like that, and too LITTLE to the point of making up gibberish and stuff to seem like it's funny.

The dialogue needs more work than anything these days in the dub.

There's got to be a better balance between being TOO faithful to the point of lines coming out like that, and too LITTLE to the point of making up gibberish and stuff to seem like it's funny.
    DBZ Kai's dub definitely found the balance. The exact wording, no, but they brought over the context which is always essential in translation.

Then again, this kind of "no sh*t, Sherlock" dialogue's a staple in Anime.

On another note, watching Avatar/Korra and how they put a lot of stuff into one Episode, I felt that some episodes could use a bit of trimming with less of "this" AKA meandering BS and more of "that" AKA stuff that pertain to our heroes and the story at hand, stuff we can be invested in.
    Last edited by matt0044; 30th June 2013 at 4:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by xYachu View Post

I think that's about it.
    About May VS Dawn, Dawn did just narrowly win, if I remember correctly. Wasn't it closer than Dawn VS Zoey. I know May beat Zoey and Zoey later beats Dawn, but in Dawn VS May, Dawn used her starter and May used one of her newer Pokémon (an Eevee that she got in the Kanto BF that she even more recently evolved), so it's understandable Dawn won, especially considering how close it was. If May used something like Venusaur, the outcome probably would have been different.

Ruby: LeafGreen (Nuzlocke):
    Emerald: Diamond:
    Pearl: Platinum:
    SoulSilver: White:
    White 2:
    Wii FC: 8945-6722-1722-6586 | Nintendo Network ID: Master_Zach
    3DS FC: 1289-8257-7574 | Xbox Gamertag: WaTeRChAmP97
    Claimed: Blastoise, Pokémon XY & Calem from Pokémon XY

DBZ Kai's dub definitely found the balance. The exact wording, no, but they brought over the context which is always essential in translation.

Then again, this kind of "no sh*t, Sherlock" dialogue's a staple in Anime.

On another note, watching Avatar/Korra and how they put a lot of stuff into one Episode, I felt that some episodes could use a bit of trimming with less of "this" AKA meandering BS and more of "that" AKA stuff that pertain to our heroes and the story at hand, stuff we can be invested in.
    Agreed. It didn't sound forced and like someone just pressed the "Google Translate" button, but at the same time, it kept the context of what was being said originally intact, so it was pretty much (IMO) the ideal way to dub things into English.

True. In general it's a notable trait most anime share.

That sounds a lot better to me than the meandering BS.

The fact that ash has been through at least 5 regions but still manages to make rookie mistakes...

Lost my Platinum, so that's not good. On the other hand, I have heartgold and my FC is:

Jimmy

5070 6163 8015

Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617 LastLast