Thread: Popularity of Pokemon

Default Popularity of Pokemon

How would the rate the popularity of Pokemon now. I know it would never reach the fad status that it used to, but, do you think that it has more "real" fans now than it used to ( i.e., fans that actually like Pokemon for what it is and not because it is a fad ).
    Also, how would would you rate the popularity of the different areas of the franchise separately namely, the, Games, Anime and TCG.

It's less popular than COD here and less than Naruto in Japan.

in the early 2000 the anime and TCG were more popular then now.
    this time it vanished quite slowly, beginning with the tail, and ending with a grin.
    - Lewis Carrol's Alice Adventures In Wonderland(the Cheshire Cat)

click my Pokemon/eggs please! http://new.gpxplus.net/user/Furret-Luver-Girl

(\\_/)
    (*u*) This is Bunny.
    (>< ) help him achieve world domination copy him to ur signature~

Its still really popular
    Shiny Count: 50

Thanks Eeveelover824 for the animated banner!

Thanks Fairywitch for the button!

I think that while the games became more popular, the anime stayed about the same and the TCG got less popular.
    3DS FC: 1762-3779-2632
    I have claimed Empoleon, Rosalina, and Super Mario Galaxy!
    Pokégyms

Currently Looking For:
    any meowth/persian

I'm don't care much about popularity.

The point of the matter is that Pokemon is still the second best-selling video game franchise in the world, only behind the Mario franchise.
    ~Author's Profile ||~|| <Fly High Graphics> ~
    ~rTTL: Chapter 3: 31% ||~|~|~|| rAVT : Chapter 2: 0%~

Quote Originally Posted by Brutaka View Post
    I'm don't care much about popularity.

The point of the matter is that Pokemon is still the second best-selling video game franchise in the world, only behind the Mario franchise.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that only in Nintendo's standards? Maybe I'm just hearing wrong...

To be honest, I'd love a chart of this. I've been wanting to see how pokemon stands nowadays. I'm not really sure
    When refering to learning..."In other words, groups are not where ideas are born. Groups are where ideas are evaluated."
    My eyes! (my eyes!) are filled with curiosity! You think! (You think!) that you have power over me! In this life! (This life!) There’s no room for you and me! So turn around and face the day with me!
    Such a sexy song. Urgh.

It has always been the same, Those who are “true fanatics” of the pokemon franchise will remain that name, While those who fake their knowledge about pokemon and talk bad about every current generation remain as posers...

Considering that Black and White only sold about 62.5% of the copies that the original RBGY did, I don't think you could say that it's more popular today than it was in 1997.

Quote Originally Posted by Pika-Pika-Red View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that only in Nintendo's standards?
    It is correct by every publisher's standards.

Quote Originally Posted by a person View Post
    Considering that Black and White only sold about 62.5% of the copies that the original RBGY did, I don't think you could say that it's more popular today than it was in 1997.

It is correct by every publisher's standards.
    Okay...Just to clarify in case "standards" didn't make sense... I meant that it is the second biggest Nintendo game franchise. that's what I thought was true. But I guess it wasn't (Or rather it was over all of the video games.)

Really though? Are we talking about overall ratio, or actual sales? I have big doubt in my mind that the first games sold that much more then black and white in their first year in direct numbers...(The ratio of how many actually bought the games relative to the number of fans, or for that matter, copies distributed, makes a little more sense.)
    When refering to learning..."In other words, groups are not where ideas are born. Groups are where ideas are evaluated."
    My eyes! (my eyes!) are filled with curiosity! You think! (You think!) that you have power over me! In this life! (This life!) There’s no room for you and me! So turn around and face the day with me!
    Such a sexy song. Urgh.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that only in Nintendo's standards? Maybe I'm just hearing wrong...

To be honest, I'd love a chart of this. I've been wanting to see how pokemon stands nowadays. I'm not really sure
    Cant get a chart at the moment, but the last one I read was
    1. Mario
    2. Pokemon
    3. Wii Series(wii play, resort, music, fit, etc)
    4. The Sims
    5. Tetris.

Call of Duty was like 7, Zelda was 14, and Halo was 28.
    But thats the whole franchise(video game franchise though, so no toys and whatnot).
    So thats Pokemon's 45 games stacked against the others.
    Last edited by Brutaka; 24th November 2012 at 6:49 AM.

Okay...Just to clarify in case "standards" didn't make sense... I meant that it is the second biggest Nintendo game franchise. that's what I thought was true. But I guess it wasn't (Or rather it was over all of the video games.)
    It is, though.

Bear in mind that Pokemon has some 60-something games to its name, whereas newer franchises have far fewer games, in terms of both main entries and spin-offs.

Really though? Are we talking about overall ratio, or actual sales? I have big doubt in my mind that the first games sold that much more then black and white in their first year in direct numbers...(The ratio of how many actually bought the games relative to the number of fans, or for that matter, copies distributed, makes a little more sense.)
    Actual sales. RBG have sold about 23.5 millionish worldwide compared to BW's 14 millionish.

Yes, the ratio in terms of people who've purchased games would make more sense to account for people purchasing multiple copies. Too bad such numbers don't exist.

Unfortunately, all the lists i can seemingly find are user generated lists. Nonetheless, that all have Mario and 1 and Pokemon at 2.
    http://thisisoli.hubpages.com/hub/To...ame-Franchises
    http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/new...9#.ULBh4IaTLTo
    http://www.gamefront.com/top-10-best...me-franchises/

Wikipedia has a HUGE list of like 200 entries. I know wikipedia is somewhat unreliable, there's nothing really better.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ame_franchises

All sources I have read say that Pokemon is the Second Biggest Game Franchise in the world, after Mario. BTW, I read somewhere that many Pokemon forums such as Serebii it think are getting much more traffic that they used to. I think that shows that Pokemon has more popularity that it used to.

The video games are still very popular, but the popularity of the anime took a dip after Misty left (for some reason), and not many people play TCGs in general nowadays, from what I've seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Flame Mistress View Post
    The video games are still very popular, but the popularity of the anime took a dip after Misty left (for some reason), and not many people play TCGs in general nowadays, from what I've seen.
    The anime is still somewhat more popular then TCG, from what I've seen...

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow_V-Creator View Post
    The anime is still somewhat more popular then TCG, from what I've seen...
    Well, yeah, obviously.