Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why are the rivals so nice now?

The best rival is Barry, likeable and hateable at the same time, too bad he's underused when it comes to cameo appearances and such, he was also a pretty fun character.
    Pokemon White: 0390 4523 3207
    Pokemon Platinium: 5415 5614 0165
    Visit Pokemon Plus forums, for different events. I'm also pretty active over there if you need me for anything.

Looking for Shinny Spindas!

The rivals are nice again, because the only douches were Silver and Blue.

I think the reason for them being nice is to show kids that you don't have to be enemies to your rivals,just competition and can still be friends with them.

Quote Originally Posted by megamuncher View Post
    Yeah, Silver being a jerk seemed kinda forced.
    I agree. It was kind of...Unrealistic?

But there's nothing wrong with a rival who isn't an *******. Afer all, they're supposed to be rivals, not enemies x__x

Quote Originally Posted by Adalricus View Post
    The rivals are nice again, because the only douches were Silver and Blue.
    But then Gamefreak got reminded who the target audience was.

Because their attitude improved as the audience grew (slightly) older?

Spoiler:- Credits:

Because them being nasty and self-absorbed got old really quickly (i.e. after Blue). Sometimes they can swing a little towards the sappy side these days, but I still prefer the newer to the older ones.

The future surrounds us.

Let us begin.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Leggs View Post
    Because them being nasty and self-absorbed got old really quickly (i.e. after Blue). Sometimes they can swing a little towards the sappy side these days, but I still prefer the newer to the older ones.
    And as it turns out, them not being abrasive, self-righteous douchebags makes them more endearing as characters. After all, the main games have gradually gotten a little more plot/character intensive as the gens have improved; it hasn't just been the gameplay and Pokemon selection, after all.

SHINY RAINBOWS BECKON YOU TO THE ARTIST'S CORNER

Trainer Name: Misha
    3DS FC: 5112-3720-5938
    Friend Safari: Fighting; Pancham, Machoke, Hariyama

Because it can reflect badly in real life if children think a rival automatically means someone who is a douche and you have to hate. The only reason some people want a douche rival is because apparently these days, being a douche is the "cool' thing. The excuse that they want someone to beat and humilate just proves the common insecurities some people have that they want a valid target for it.

Quote Originally Posted by B€ntley View Post
    The best rival is Barry, likeable and hateable at the same time, too bad he's underused when it comes to cameo appearances and such, he was also a pretty fun character.
    i agree. hes serious about training and says WHAT?! YOURE SAYING I LOST?! without being mean. a few of the rivals arent very serious about beating you and say wow youre good! i didn't like the mean rivals

Quote Originally Posted by Will-powered Spriter View Post
    It depends. 4th gen Barry is an example of a well written friendly rival, he's likeable and interesting but still obviously a rival. But yeah, Cheren, Bianca and especially the 3rd gen rival weren't fun at all. I do miss Gary-type rivals.

(But I never really thought Silver was that great. Yes he went through character development but his original jerk characterisation was rubbish.)

Is it a pokemon?
    In the pics above..

Why is it they looked like unfinished?

Dotnetnuke support

Quote Originally Posted by Gothitelle K View Post
    To be honest, the BW2 rival was only intrested in beating Team Plasma, not becoming as strong/better than you.
    And how does that lower his credibility?

I think it allows you to be with the characters more throughout the story and not popping up here and their for an occasional match. Your character has a past and connection with them. I do like how your rivals assist you in the plot now because of that. I think it's a valuable life lesson though too that as iron sharpens iron, a friend sharpens a friend. My biggest rival is my best friend, and through that I've found I learn more that way. I do miss the bloodshed type rivalries though but I think it's the audience that gets the vote.

i think the most well-made rival is Hugh. He is your friend and supports you, but he also has his own motives for training and at the same time is your rival and does his best to surpass you as a trainer.
    White 2 Team:

I actually love vanilluxe.

I don't have as much of a problem with them being friendly rivals (although I do prefer douchebag rivals), but I do have a problem with some of the characters that aren't really serious about being rivals. Brendan/May, Hugh, and to some degree Wally are major offenders. I mean what's the point in making them rivals if they don't have similar goals, have no interest in battling, or what have you?
    Quote Originally Posted by LizardonX View Post
    Tabitha has really let himself go, just how many lava cookies did he eat in the last 11 years?

Quote Originally Posted by Bolt the Cat View Post
    if they don't have similar goals, have no interest in battling
    But they do have interest in battling.
    The difference is that their main goals are not to be the champion.

I see no problem on that, in fact, it just make them more interesting to me as characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyarlathotep View Post
    But they do have interest in battling.
    The difference is that their main goals are not to be the champion.

I see no problem on that, in fact, it just make them more interesting to me as characters.
    They don't battle you enough. Hugh is more interested in Team Plasma than he is with you, Brendan/May drops out too early, and Wally only really battles you, like what, twice? If he was serious about trying to beat you, you'd see him much more often than that. I don't mind different characterization, that spices things up, but the point of a rival is to battle you periodically to test you, and none of those three do that often enough
    Tabitha has really let himself go, just how many lava cookies did he eat in the last 11 years?

Quote Originally Posted by slyfincleton View Post
    i think the most well-made rival is Hugh. He is your friend and supports you, but he also has his own motives for training and at the same time is your rival and does his best to surpass you as a trainer.
    Hugh was a lousy rival. He rarely battles you. His only motivation is to beat TP and get purlion back. 90% of what he says are "you are about to feel my rage" (lol wut) and "where is my sister's purrlion?!?! you will pay for this team plasma". It would have been better if he were just a support character and not your rival. His rivalry felt forced and did not feel like a rivalry at all. Gamefreak should have given us a different rival and kept hugh more on the side like bianca.

Quote Originally Posted by Bolt the Cat View Post
    They don't battle you enough.
    That is true. Hugh barely battle you for 80% of the game.
    I liked the huge amount of battles against Cheren and Bianca in Black & White.

I would have liked one more rival besides Hugh in Black 2 & White 2. We had Cheren and Bianca before, why not a boy and a girl again?
    Last edited by Nyarlathotep; 12th October 2012 at 11:50 PM.

That is true. Hugh barely battle you for 80% of the game.
    I liked the huge amount of battles against Cheren and Bianca in Black & White.

I would have liked one more rival besides Hugh in Black 2 & White 2. We had Cheren and Bianca before, why not a boy and a girl again?
    Actually, depending on your definition, you could also count N as a rival in BW1. I don't mind multiple rivals, as long as you battle them both a decent amount of times throughout the game. I didn't like how they handled the rivals in RSE, for example, since they appear on and off throughout the game. There wasn't really much point in having them as two different people.

Quote Originally Posted by Covert Cactus View Post
    Hugh was a lousy rival. He rarely battles you. His only motivation is to beat TP and get purlion back. 90% of what he says are "you are about to feel my rage" (lol wut) and "where is my sister's purrlion?!?! you will pay for this team plasma". It would have been better if he were just a support character and not your rival. His rivalry felt forced and did not feel like a rivalry at all. Gamefreak should have given us a different rival and kept hugh more on the side like bianca.
    Hugh is also in it for the chance to have a journey with pokemon. I personally think that Hugh's hatred of Team Plasma was well defined, and that it gives him depth as a character. I will give you that he doesn't battle you enough and that his "catchphrase" is a little annoying. but that doesn't make him a lousy rival. That's my opinion and you are entitled to yours.
    White 2 Team:

I actually love vanilluxe.

but then people are going to complain about the girl wanting to succeed in contests or other stuff and not being better than you lol

which i actually like that ones who admit that they are weak but they fight you anyway. not everyone needs to be kick your *** strong.
    岩根雅明=♡

Quote Originally Posted by slyfincleton View Post
    Hugh is also in it for the chance to have a journey with pokemon. I personally think that Hugh's hatred of Team Plasma was well defined, and that it gives him depth as a character. I will give you that he doesn't battle you enough and that his "catchphrase" is a little annoying. but that doesn't make him a lousy rival. That's my opinion and you are entitled to yours.
    Trying to become stronger than you is what defines a rival to begin with, though. It's nice to have that kind of depth, but not at the expense at what makes him a rival in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Gothitelle K View Post
    not everyone needs to be kick your *** strong.
    If all goes well, they'll never beat you anyway.

Dunno what it is about this rival, but Hugh is my favourite rival so far, I'm only in Castelia, but I'm loving him, he's a great rival, prefer him to my old favourites Green and ??? and Barry.
    Sig deleted by Hydrohs. Read the sig rules.

I miss D-bag rivals.
    My Pokemon

BlitzBreaker Stryker Micheal Zack Alex Brett :26:

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast