Thread: The Orange League Filler Saga Was Always Meant To Be?

Default The Orange League Filler Saga Was Always Meant To Be?

I remember in the fandom that people have said before in the past that this part of the anime was only created because at the time GameFreak hadn't finished creating GSC games yet, and the anime couldn't start the Johto saga yet until the games were ready. BUT according to the trivia info on the episode "Navel Maneuvers" on bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net it says that according to the date on an animation frame cell from that episode, that that episode was in production since 1996? Does this mean that there was always going to be an Orange Islands filler saga despite the common belief that the anime was originally going to end at Kanto?

If I had to guess they probably had ideas for future eps and made a few scenes from the OI eps back when they weren't sure there was even going to be a season 2.

Most likely halfway into Kanto they saw the massive success the show was so they knew it wasn't just going to end after 1 year. Remember episodes are planned out 1 year in advance, they had to start Orange Island planning sometime halfway into Kanto...at around 40 episodes in.

It's also possible that scene was meant for an earlier episode, but it got scrapped, and they dug it back up again for OI. The only Pokemon in the picture are ones Ash got fairly early on.

98% of the teenage population has died smoking pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this in your signature.
    Good old natural selection...

Quote Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
    Most likely halfway into production of Kanto they saw the massive potential for success the show could have
    Fixed it for you! The show wasn't out yet in 1996.

Animation companies sometimes re-use frames. Perhaps that particular frame was used more than once?
    † I am a Christian and proud of it! Copy and paste this into your sig if you are too.†

Quote Originally Posted by Sayho1234 View Post
    I remember in the fandom that people have said before in the past that this part of the anime was only created because at the time GameFreak hadn't finished creating GSC games yet, and the anime couldn't start the Johto saga yet until the games were ready. BUT according to the trivia info on the episode "Navel Maneuvers" on bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net it says that according to the date on an animation frame cell from that episode, that that episode was in production since 1996? Does this mean that there was always going to be an Orange Islands filler saga despite the common belief that the anime was originally going to end at Kanto?
    I wouldn't know anything about this back then. I was only 12 after all. I was just happy Brock was off the show and Ash was still on. But over all, they needed a series because the Kanto saga felt incompeted in alot of ways. This is one of the reasons why I liked Johto.
    Last edited by Caseydia; 17th October 2012 at 4:15 PM.

My ideal battle ever!

One thing that immediately came to mind was the idea that Ash's 3 months waiting for the Pokemon League was supposed to be more exciting then they actually turned how to be. Ash did travel to the Southern Islands from Kanto. Maybe while he was there he challenged the Orange Crew.

Then when they saw that the anime was going to take off they decided to make the Filler Arch into the basis of a Filler Saga.
    Last edited by An00bis; 16th October 2012 at 8:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
    Most likely halfway into Kanto they saw the massive success the show was so they knew it wasn't just going to end after 1 year. Remember episodes are planned out 1 year in advance, they had to start Orange Island planning sometime halfway into Kanto...at around 40 episodes in.
    We have quotes from the production staff stating that the series was originally meant to run about a year and a half, but was indefinitely extended when it turned out such a massive success. It's not clear exactly when this decision was made, but it was definitely after the series had already started. The Orange Islands arc was created because of this extension - they already had the Kanto arc mapped out (though it was probably initially meant to end differently than it ended up doing), and they obviously could start adapting the new games before they were out, so they had to come up with an anime-original quest to stall.

So yeah, there's no way even the idea of doing the Orange Islands arc even existed in 1996.

Glad they did it though.

Number of Genwunners = 100
    Number of people accused of being a Genwunner = 100 000 000 000 000 000
    Number of people complaning about Genwunners = 100 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000

By the way, how do we know that frame's from 1996? There's no date on it that I can see.

98% of the teenage population has died smoking pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this in your signature.
    Good old natural selection...