Thread: competitive double battle team

Default competitive double battle team

I entered the autumn friendly (got 51st out of around 4000 people!!! =D) and it was a great learning experience for my on-growing knowledge of doubles. i learned that many pokemon i would never think of are very useful... after all my knowledge i gained, i have come up with this team:

@ chesto berry
    EVs: 252 HP/ 116 defense/ 140 sp defense
    calm nature
    -Icy Wind
    -Sunny Day
    -Psychic
    -rest

Cresselia is a BEAST! its so bulky that it can take almost any hit that comes to it. Sunny day is a great rain counter. rain teams are my least favorite type of team ever. this gets rid of the rain, turns the water moves into weak moves, and it will be used for the next pokemon... Icy wind is if i fear my opponents getting a deadly speedy attack. it will slow it down so i can get a next turn KO. Psychic is for basic stab and just to possibly get a KO. rest-chesto berry is awesome on cresselia. it is hard to KO, it is even harder to KO almost twice! =D

@ ??? (chlorophyll ability)
    EV's: 252 HP/ 116 sp defense/ 140 speed
    calm nature
    -Sleep Powder
    -Solar Beam
    -Protect
    -Synthesis

Sun teams dont get as much popularity for some reason. this might not be a sun team, but venasaur is awesome in the sun. it becomes one of the fastest status abusers. this is the other reason cresselia has sunny day; to speed up venasaur then i can proceed to putting their pokemon asleep. i use solar beam because in the sun it is one turn and i dont need giga d because of the synthesis. protect is for basic doubles needs and to play "mind games" with my foe.

@ Yache Berry (sand veil)
    EV's: 4 HP/ 252 attack/ 252 speed
    jolly nature
    -Dragon Claw
    -Rock Slide
    -Earthquake
    -Protect

i decided to chose gar chomp over latios because its mildly better typing, higher HP, and stab earthquake. this is basically only set gar chomp can possibly run. its dragon claw is for its dragon stab. earthquake is one of the most powerful ground move and it is a spread move that gets good coverage in the VGC metagame. rock slide finishes the set by giving it flying coverage and ice coverage that it needs.

@ Focus Sash (pickpocket)
    EV's: 4 HP/ 252 attack/ 252 speed
    jolly nature
    -Ice Punch
    -Fake out
    -Night Slash
    -Low Kick

I decided on weavile because it is one of the fastest fake outers, meaning it will go before other fake outers. Ice is also a great stab for taking care of those nasty dragons on every single team. Dark is also a fair stab, for there are many deadly ghost types such as chandelure, and jellicent. low kick because rocks are heavy =P.

@ Sitrus Berry
    EV's: 140 HP/ 252 sp attack/ 116 speed
    modest nature
    -heat wave
    -Thunder bolt
    -HP ice
    -detect

Zapdos is one of the most predominant attackers in VGC/GBU. is has a great typing for an attacker but it can easily be damaged by rock and ice... =/ even though this come into play, it's bulk is quite good, and sitrus berry makes it more annoying. heat wave can take out some ice types that might KO it otherwise. HP ice is for all those annoying dragons and thunderbolt is a powerful stab. detect is basically a more trusty protect.

@occa berry
    EV's: 236 HP/ 252 attack/ 16 speed
    adamant nature
    Bullet punch
    -Zen headbutt
    -Meteor mash
    -Protect

Metagross is one of the bulkiest attackers in VGC. also, steel typing is great. steel hits many types very well... but fire and ground are its weakness's which are all over VGC. that is where occa comes in. so ground becomes its main threat. bullet punch is to finish off the foe, meteor mash is attack raising (50%) and is extremely powerful. the 16 speed EV's is so it can outspend many fighting types, including hitmontop. that is also why it has zen headbutt.

this team still needs some help. for example, i might want a trick room counter such as giving cresselia trick room to reverse it... but that wastes a turn and might help them... i will be open to any suggestions and try them all out.

Last edited by joej m; 9th October 2012 at 10:00 PM.

For cressilia use moonlight as it recovers double in the sun and you should also give it leftovers or Heat Rock. If this is a sun team then you should at least have two pokemon with sunny day. Full rate later.

i dont know much about doubles, but im sure you can probably change garchomp's protect to substitute. this still allows it to scout, but it'll be much more effective as it's a huge threat. it'll also allow it to substall with sand veil.

leftovers>yache berry, for more health.

give venusaur life orb and change it's moves to: sleep powder, hp fire, solarbeam/giga drain, protect/earthquake. you might want to change it's evs as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Chingchar View Post
    For cressilia use moonlight as it recovers double in the sun and you should also give it leftovers or Heat Rock. If this is a sun team then you should at least have two pokemon with sunny day. Full rate later.
    I think Rest is better because He might not always set up sunny day.

Quote Originally Posted by thedarklord2155 View Post
    i dont know much about doubles, but im sure you can probably change garchomp's protect to substitute. this still allows it to scout, but it'll be much more effective as it's a huge threat. it'll also allow it to substall with sand veil.

leftovers>yache berry, for more health.

give venusaur life orb and change it's moves to: sleep powder, hp fire, solarbeam/giga drain, protect/earthquake. you might want to change it's evs as well.
    Yache berry is better because tons of pokes have HP (ice) and tons of abomasnows with ice shard. And Sub is a good idea but it would be better on a more defensive set.

life orb isn't a good idea because it is defensive and you don't wanting it draining HP. Giga drain is better over solar beam but syntesis would be better than HP (fire).

Now My suggestions I suggest a sitrus berry on venusaur. And electric gem on zapdos.

Credit to me

thanks for all the ideas but i think drizzle boy is right with all of his thoughts and suggestions. venasaur might not always be used which means sunny day will not always be used so moonlight would not be useful. i am not to much of a fan of solar beam but i needed something to fill that spot... since i have synthesis giga drain is not to useful... but i could use the HP fire as well. that will be able to take out abomasnow and scizzor and ferrathorn quite well. i was debating for giving zapdos electric gem. i wasn't sure. i still would like to know if there is a good trick room counter that i should use or my team is already good enough to counter it. thank you all! :3

Over zapdos you could try a thundurus with taunt. And another suggestion over psychic have psyshock because it hit hitmontops harder.

Credit to me

If you're so worried about trick room why does cressilia have icy wind?

because i want speed support of slowing them down.