Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why don't Sceptile, Infernape and Torterra ever get the, "Charizard" treatment?

Default Why don't Sceptile, Infernape and Torterra ever get the, "Charizard" treatment?

I don't get it, Ash has 4 fully evolved starters. Sceptile and Infernape were basically the stars of their respective sagas, winning Ash most of his important battles back then and were powerhouses. Torterra was handled decently until it evolved at least.

And yet, aside from Sceptile having the honor of taking down Darkrai (although it was weakened by Heracross and Gible prior), its not viewed as the same way Charizard is. Despite Infernape going Super Saiyan and destroying Paul, its likely not going to be viewed like Charizard. And then there's Torterra which lost every battle in its final stage aside from TR blast offs.

Why? Why can't the writers ever pass the torch from Charizard to Ash's other heavy hitters?

I think Sceptile is viewed like Charizard now, he is a beast. The only thing I don't like is that he had 2 grass, and 2 fire, fully evolved and no WATER? This is what really bugs me and I was genuinely hoping for Samurott purely on that reason alone.

My 3DS Friend Code is 4656-7001-6257
        Spoiler:- Ghost Friend Safari:

Spoiler:- Hall of Fame:

Quote Originally Posted by OshaMijuWott View Post
    I think Sceptile is viewed like Charizard now, he is a beast. The only thing I don't like is that he had 2 grass, and 2 fire, fully evolved and no WATER? This is what really bugs me and I was genuinely hoping for Samurott purely on that reason alone.
    Blame the Johto saga. Totodile should have fully evolved back then, but Johto was notorious for being a poorly written and handled saga.

Infernape and Torterra just appeared like 2 years ago... why would they get "Charizard" treatment? Sceptile though, he's sorta beginning to get said treatment
    3DS code:1048-8163-5480
    Why exactly can't Ash get this little guy?
    "I already told you, I don't mind playing the bad guy every once in a while."~ Sonic the Hedgehog

I would say Sceptile and Snorlax are right up there with Charizard lol.
    Proud claimer of Cyndaquil and Ezio Auditore from Assassin's Creed !!
    Also proud claimer of Assassin's Creed 2 the game!!
    Just became the proud claimer of the Marvel's Agent's of S.H.I.E.L.D. TV show ^_^!!!

They can't fly for one. Also they are at Oak's lab and in pokeballs a lot compared to Chazard who does what he wants and is never in his ball.

Writers are biased just like you. You didn't mentioned Snorlax in there. Even though it is not a starter, it got two wins in most of the battles it fought. What more do you want?

If Ash is bringing back Charizard to battle some legendary like Reshiram then he should have considered Sceptile too. Sceptile has fought the maximum number of legendary officially among all of Ash's Pokemon.

Quote Originally Posted by Joltik-Kid View Post
    Infernape and Torterra just appeared like 2 years ago... why would they get "Charizard" treatment? Sceptile though, he's sorta beginning to get said treatment
    Look how many times Charizard came back right after it left in early Johto:

- Movie 3, where it battles Entei and practically stars in the movie. In fact Movie 3 originally aired only a few months after Charizard left

- Returns for the 8th Johto Gym and battles Claire where it stars.

- Returns for the Johto league and battles BOTH Gary and Harrisson. Defeats Gary's Blastoise and then has an epic finish against Blaziken.

- Returns in Battle Frontier to battle Noland and his Articuno

- Returns for the Battle Pyramid to battle Brandon

- Now possibly returns in N arc

Charizard has had 6 returns to the anime for major events. No other of Ash's older pokemon got that treatment.

Probably because Charizard is still much more popular than them, so they prefer to bring it back instead of the others. I can't think of any other reason.

3DS Friend Code: 3582-9622-5627

Quote Originally Posted by Ver-mont View Post
    Probably because Charizard is still much more popular than them, so they prefer to bring it back instead of the others. I can't think of any other reason.
    So it basically boils down to bias Kanto and 1st gen "nostalgia," doesn't it?

Because Charizard is Charizard. I can't see Sceptile, Infernape, or Torterra going against a Reshiram. Not that I think Charizard can win by itself, but it's the best choice Ash has. And Snorlax is a good option except it isn't as mobile as Charizard.

Sceptile beat an unbeatable Darkrai...how isn't that great treatment? Sceptile did deserve a bit more in BF though. Charizard has been around for as log as Ash has minus a handful of episodes...well it evolved, but it's still the same being. He's special

Quote Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
    Where was the Kanto bias in Sinnoh?

Platinum FC: 2924 5508 7388

HeartGold FC: 5372 2982 5997

White 1 FC: 3396 3135 0386

Quote Originally Posted by TheFonz View Post
    Because Charizard is Charizard. I can't see Sceptile, Infernape, or Torterra going against a Reshiram. Not that I think Charizard can win by itself, but it's the best choice Ash has. And Snorlax is a good option except it isn't as mobile as Charizard.
    Absolutely this. Not sure if the IGN is related to Japan too but you can clearly see there who's the most popular pokemon of all time. (and it's not Pikachu)

Sceptile is the only one of Satoshi pokemon who did what no other pokemon did, battle with most legendaries in the anime: Regirock, Deoxys, Darkrai and Latios; and he appeared in the Sinnoh league. (Darkrai got damage from Heracross and Gible blah blah blah... Darkrai recovered from that damage with Dream eater)

Infernape had its main focus in DP but Imay agree with you that he's the only regional powerhouse who hasn't battled a legendary yet. It was in the Sinnoh league.

Torterra (even though it's my favorite genIV starter) lost everything after fully evolving. Many people may say he lost to very powerful pokemon, but the point of being strong is to be able to defeat those strong pokemon. It was in the Sinnoh League.

See the diference? those 3 were absent for 2 years, Charizard was absent for 6. There's no point of comparison.
    [/QUOTE]
    IGN: Carlos
    FC: 0903-2783-6541

[CENTER]SIGNATURE SOON...[/COLOR]

Well, Charizard is the strongest of Ash's Pokemon after all. It's only natural for Ash to fall back on Charizard. As to why he wasn't used in the Sinnoh League, the writers had Infernape to focus on. I agree with a few posts that Sceptile is barely beginning to get the same treatment as his fire type homeboy, but that's because he has had the time to grow. Torterra is just plain weak, the writers had the potential to make him really strong but they needed a contrast between Ash's training methods vs Paul's training methods. And Infernape isn't even close to Charizard's strength, or Sceptile's for that matter. It won a lot of battles sure, but some of those it had to get lucky and rely on blaze while I don't really remember Charizard ever really needing blaze to be activated to win close battles.

It's because Charizard is Ash's original powerhouse, so it's mostly the nostaglia talking. Everything from Kanto is pretty much worshipped so it's not really surprising.

Quote Originally Posted by HatersGonnaHate View Post
    It's because Charizard is Ash's original powerhouse, so it's mostly the nostaglia talking. Everything from Kanto is pretty much worshipped so it's not really surprising.
    Doesn't mean Charizard can't still be a powerhouse. What other Pokémon would be better for Ash to use from what we've heard so far?

1. Charizard. It's ****ing Charizard.
    2. Huge fanbase. Arguably the poster STARTER Pokemon of the whole franchise.
    3. Lol at the fact that you ignored that Charizard also participated in most of Ash's wins while he was used.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadows of Destiny View Post
    1. Charizard. It's ****ing Charizard.
    2. Huge fanbase. Arguably the poster STARTER Pokemon of the whole franchise.
    3. Lol at the fact that you ignored that Charizard also participated in most of Ash's wins while he was used.
    Not really, Charizard wasn't used much after it evolved.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFonz View Post
    Doesn't mean Charizard can't still be a powerhouse. What other Pokémon would be better for Ash to use from what we've heard so far?
    Sceptile and Infernape are fine choices. I think both are as skilled as Charizard.

Yup yup.

I don't get it, Ash has 4 fully evolved starters. Sceptile and Infernape were basically the stars of their respective sagas, winning Ash most of his important battles back then and were powerhouses. Torterra was handled decently until it evolved at least.

And yet, aside from Sceptile having the honor of taking down Darkrai (although it was weakened by Heracross and Gible prior), its not viewed as the same way Charizard is. Despite Infernape going Super Saiyan and destroying Paul, its likely not going to be viewed like Charizard. And then there's Torterra which lost every battle in its final stage aside from TR blast offs.

Why? Why can't the writers ever pass the torch from Charizard to Ash's other heavy hitters?
    1 word. Nostalgia.

Quote Originally Posted by Zya View Post
    1 word. Nostalgia.
    And yet everything from Kanto doesn't get that treatment.

And yet everything from Kanto doesn't get that treatment.
    It must be easier for Charizard because he's Ash's pokemon.

Sceptile and Infernape are fine choices. I think both are as skilled as Charizard.

Yup yup.
    What can Sceptile and Infernape do to Dragons? Plus they won't have a flight advantage...and Infernape had all of DP to himself

Bulbasaur, Butterfree, Squirtle, Primeape, Pidgeot, Muk, Kingler, Tauros, Snorlax and Lapras kind of

Quote Originally Posted by Pokemaniac24 View Post
    Because he's Ash's most popular and well known Pokemon other than Pikachu.
    Thank you
    Last edited by TheFonz; 7th December 2012 at 5:23 AM.

Where are Bulbasaur and Squirtle?

Because he's Ash's most popular and well known Pokemon other than Pikachu.

This whining-thread was about the other fully evolved starters not getting a "Charizard Treatment" for this new saga.

And now Squirtle and Bulbasaur are getting involved?

I still don't know if there's a problem with Charizard coming back to the anime, the problem is with the fans who are boasting around their favorite pokemon is appearing.
    IGN: Carlos
    FC: 0903-2783-6541

[CENTER]SIGNATURE SOON...[/COLOR]

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast