View Poll Results: Who's club banner is the best? (see below)

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • Eeveelover824

6 11.54%
  • colorless-winter

0 0%
  • Sworn Metalhead

23 44.23%
  • Azulart

6 11.54%
  • Callie-Rose

1 1.92%
  • extroph

15 28.85%
  • Kutie Pie

1 1.92%
Page 66 of 107 FirstFirst ... 165662636465666768697076 ... LastLast
Results 1,626 to 1,650 of 2651

Thread: The Artist's Corner

Quote Originally Posted by Rexxaroo View Post
    @Poetry: Water colors are truly a great medium, even with their downfalls. I use a lot of watercolors in my art when i actually decide to color my works. The goal with watercolors is really to use good brushes. Some hold more water than others and this can cause some issues if you just want to merry two colors together instead of overpowering one. You can also use a dry brush or a small piece of paper towel to lift some color away. I really like where youre going with the piece though, it looks great so far. Im a huge fan of the metroid series, but i agree with coyote, the arm does look off.
    here is one ive done in water color. Just keep working at it , you can do it!
    Attachment 8617
    I'm not entirely sure about the quality of my brushes because I just use the ones I find at my school. Because the equipment is so worn out there you're lucky just to find a brush of the right thickness or shape, let alone one of good quality. It gets quite annoying as those particular brushes have a tendency to moult whilst painting so you end up with bristles all over your work...
    And as for the paper towel tip, I already use that to attempt to correct mistakes. If I paint something wrong it's my immediate instinct to grab a tissue to rub off the paint - even if it doesn't always work. Thanks for the help though.
    I only realised the arm was off just after I started painting..... I never start painting until I've got the pencil outline perfect but stuff always seems to slip through the cracks. Not much I can do about it now I suppose.
    And btw, it isn't really my piece, it's a copy of one I listed off Google images. I do this a lot in my projects to help build confidence for when I can start sketching out my own detailed profiles of people. But I have to say, I've still got a while to go yet before I can confidently draw Samus from scratch of my own accord.
    And also, your painting looks amazing. Did you do those grapes too?
    Last edited by Poetry; 2nd April 2013 at 9:06 AM.
    [CYTUS]
    ICE - L
    eyemedia - Bloody Purity
    xi - FREEDOM DiVE↓

Quote Originally Posted by Poetry View Post
    I'm not entirely sure about the quality of my brushes because I just use the ones I find at my school. Because the equipment is so work out there you're lucky just to find a brush of the right thickness or shape, let alone one of good quality. It gets quite annoying as those particular brushes have a tendency to moult whilst painting so you end up with bristles all over you work...
    And as for the paper towel tip, I already use that to attempt to correct mistakes. If I paint something wrong it's my immediate instinct to grab a tissue to rub off the paint - even if it doesn't always work. Thanks for the help though.
    I only realised the arm was off just after I started painting..... I never start painting until I've got the pencil outline perfect but stuff always seems to slip through the cracks. Not much I can do about it now I suppose.
    And btw, it isn't really my piece, it's a copy of one I listed off Google images. I do this a lot in my projects to help build confidence for when I can start sketching out my own detailed profiles of people. But I have to say, I've still got a while to go yet before I can confidently draw Samus from scratch of my own accord.
    And also, your painting looks amazing. Did you do those grapes too?
    One of the best methods of practice for an artist is to copy the works of others who have mastered their medium, you get a feel for how it should be done, then you carry that over into your own work.

Even the Mona Lisa has bristles stuck to it.

@Rexxaroo Those African wild dogs are amazing, you have a very keen sense of perspective.
    Last edited by Dreamy; 1st April 2013 at 10:15 PM.

I really hate watercolours. Like seriously, I despise them. Possibly the most frustrating material I've ever used in my artistic career. I'm not even sure if I have the willpower to finish this.

[IMG]http://i45.*******.com/f2nb10.jpg[/IMG]
    hgfydreujswgtyhfdejswghfjdkes
    It looks wonderful so far!! I am seriously diggin' the colours and reflected light.
    Never used water colours, but I can only imagine how frustrating it is.xD LOL. But seriously though, keep it up!
    It may be frustrating, but it's always worth it in the end!

Quote Originally Posted by goldensteambun View Post
    Oh water colors o v o I admired people who do full colors traditional art greatly, partly because it is so difficult to get it right without the undo button > v >;;

and uhm, I'm not dead > v > here is one I'm working on, just finished the lineart. It is a gijinka version of a feraligatr ^7^

is it just me or totodile's line gave out a very tribal hiphop impression lol
    AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!
    This is so cute! I am seriously in love with the design! I can't wait to see this done! And we've never met, but welcome back!!:3

[QUOTE=Poetry;15862697]I'm not entirely sure about the quality of my brushes because I just use the ones I find at my school. Because the equipment is so work out there you're lucky just to find a brush of the right thickness or shape, let alone one of good quality. It gets quite annoying as those particular brushes have a tendency to moult whilst painting so you end up with bristles all over you work...
    And also, your painting looks amazing. Did you do those grapes too?[/QUOTE

@Poetry: Hey, No shame in copying at all, i will do that sometimes when i am working on something ive never tried before or are trying to get a feel for something. Coyote is right though, almost all artistry comes from copying someone at one point or another. Thanks for the compliment on the painting And no, the grapes are a part of the tablecloth lol i do like the watercolor effect to them though

@Coyote: Thank you, they are one of my favorite animals because of their unique fur pattern. I appreciate the compliment greatly
    Last edited by Rexxaroo; 2nd April 2013 at 4:45 PM. Reason: Adressed wrong user
    Rexxaroo

@Rexx: Man, I was so confused at first when I saw you mention "Golden", because I thought you were talking to me, ha. And we seem to have another Golden too. In that case, for clarity's sake, I can be referred to as GH when I'm needed, it's the more used nickname for me anyway.

@golden: Woah, that's awesome! I love his hair and the details on the clothes. His torso does seem a tad too long (even if you take into account that his hip is hidden underneath the clothing), and there's something quite not right with his right arm. I think it's the arm's ankle, it's sort of awkward. Maybe moving the elbow a tad would help? Either way, really looking forward to seeing it colored. I love how clean the lineart is (mine's always so messy) and I love gijinkas in general.
    TumblrdeviantArt

"I am not a bad man
    Even though I do bad things
    Very bad things
    Such horrible things"

Current rps
    | Boktai |

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenHouou View Post
    @Rexx: Man, I was so confused at first when I saw you mention "Golden", because I thought you were talking to me, ha. And we seem to have another Golden too. In that case, for clarity's sake, I can be referred to as GH when I'm needed, it's the more used nickname for me anyway.

@golden: Woah, that's awesome! I love his hair and the details on the clothes. His torso does seem a tad too long (even if you take into account that his hip is hidden underneath the clothing), and there's something quite not right with his right arm. I think it's the arm's ankle, it's sort of awkward. Maybe moving the elbow a tad would help? Either way, really looking forward to seeing it colored. I love how clean the lineart is (mine's always so messy) and I love gijinkas in general.
    Lol! So Sorry man! Didnt mean to make it so confusing xP
    Rexxaroo

Quote Originally Posted by Coyote_Dynamo View Post
    One of the best methods of practice for an artist is to copy the works of others who have mastered their medium, you get a feel for how it should be done, then you carry that over into your own work.

Even the Mona Lisa has bristles stuck to it.
    Exactly, the only reason why I go to art galleries most of the time is to take notes on the specific techniques and matching of colours artists use in their works. Luckily I live in a city where were have a ton of fantastic art galleries where you can just walk in and admire the fantastic artwork.

In fact one of the reasons why I love films by Studio Ghibli is the amazing watercolour landsacpes they frequently use in their films, in particular their clouds. I frequently watch their films just for artistic inspiration, even though the standard of artwork they feature in their films is waaay beyond what I'm capable of. I've put an example below from Howl's Moving Castle; the clouds, the grass, even the rocks... it's incredible what one can do with paint like that.

[IMG]http://i50.*******.com/2dcg35z.jpg[/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by GloomyHaruka View Post
    hgfydreujswgtyhfdejswghfjdkes
    It looks wonderful so far!! I am seriously diggin' the colours and reflected light.
    Never used water colours, but I can only imagine how frustrating it is.xD LOL. But seriously though, keep it up!
    It may be frustrating, but it's always worth it in the end!
    Thank you ^^ fingers crossed it actually does turn out well in the end.

@Golden: Hey, No shame in copying at all, i will do that sometimes when i am working on something ive never tried before or are trying to get a feel for something. Coyote is right though, almost all artistry comes from copying someone at one point or another. Thanks for the compliment on the painting :) And no, the grapes are a part of the tablecloth lol i do like the watercolor effect to them though :)
    I assume you're talking to me :p Yeah, copying has its benefits, regardless of the stigma sometimes attached to it. And I feel stupid now because it's obvious that the grapes were art of the tablecloth xD
    I did a still life once which included grapes... so many circles.

EDIT: Ok, so just finished the Samus painting, and.... every single thing went extremely well. Except the face.

Oh god, the face.
    Everything which could have gone wrong did go wrong. The shading, the colours, the proportions, even the paper fibres gave out towards the end. Not even the hair turned out good. I really don't know what to think or do. I've got half a mind to stick another piece of paper over the face and do it again.

Ok, so maybe I overreacted a little bit. Looking back.. it isn't alltogether that bad, even though there is nowhere enough shading on the face as I'd like. The only reason why I'm not touching it is out of fear of making it worse. Oh well, still good enough to go in my sig.

[IMG]http://i46.*******.com/2vmgi39.jpg[/IMG]
    Last edited by Poetry; 2nd April 2013 at 1:03 PM.
    [CYTUS]
    ICE - L
    eyemedia - Bloody Purity
    xi - FREEDOM DiVE↓

Exactly, the only reason why I go to art galleries most of the time is to take notes on the specific techniques and matching of colours artists use in their works. Luckily I live in a city where were have a ton of fantastic art galleries where you can just walk in and admire the fantastic artwork.

In fact one of the reasons why I love films by Studio Ghibli is the amazing watercolour landsacpes they frequently use in their films, in particular their clouds. I frequently watch their films just for artistic inspiration, even though the standard of artwork they feature in their films is waaay beyond what I'm capable of. I've put an example below from Howl's Moving Castle; the clouds, the grass, even the rocks... it's incredible what one can do with paint like that.

Thank you ^^ fingers crossed it actually does turn out well in the end.

I assume you're talking to me Yeah, copying has its benefits, regardless of the stigma sometimes attached to it. And I feel stupid now because it's obvious that the grapes were art of the tablecloth xD
    I did a still life once which included grapes... so many circles.

EDIT: Ok, so just finished the Samus painting, and.... every single thing went extremely well. Except the face.

Oh god, the face.
    Everything which could have gone wrong did go wrong. The shading, the colours, the proportions, even the paper fibres gave out towards the end. Not even the hair turned out good. I really don't know what to think or do. I've got half a mind to stick another piece of paper over the face and do it again.

Ok, so maybe I overreacted a little bit. Looking back.. it isn't alltogether that bad, even though there is nowhere enough shading on the face as I'd like. The only reason why I'm not touching it is out of fear of making it worse. Oh well, still good enough to go in my sig.
    I was just about to mention them lol I love all of their movies so much ^_^

I assume you used watercolor paper, even it has it's limits as far as saturation goes, if not I'm impressed with how well it held together.

Her face looks fine to me, maybe a little more shading could help, but all-in-all well done.

@Poetry: I think you did a great job with it! I am really digging those colors, man. Yes the face could have more shading, but you know what? It looks great and you did an awesome job with it. As artists, we are almost never happy with a finished piece of work. In my opinion, none of my works are ever complete. I love how it turned out though , so good job!
    (sidenote: yes, howls moving castle, spirited away, etc. are all just incredible. The most beautifully illustrated and animated movies out there as far as im concerned, i love everything about them and they are a huge inspiration.)
    Rexxaroo

@Poetry: I think you did a great job with it! I am really digging those colors, man. Yes the face could have more shading, but you know what? It looks great and you did an awesome job with it. As artists, we are almost never happy with a finished piece of work. In my opinion, none of my works are ever complete. I love how it turned out though , so good job!
    (sidenote: yes, howls moving castle, spirited away, etc. are all just incredible. The most beautifully illustrated and animated movies out there as far as im concerned, i love everything about them and they are a huge inspiration.)
    Agreed I never call any of my stuff complete either, I'm usually not happy with anything I do, so I just say 'here it is'

All of Studio Ghibli's films are on my list of best movies ever, like Rex^ said they are a huge inspiration.

Also, I believe we should pay homage to this fascinating woman: Maria Sibylla Merian (naturalist and scientific illustrator)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maria_Sibylla_Merian

Here is a quick 15 min. sketch I did (ran out of time to do any real shading and highlights, so don't be too harsh ^_^)

Last edited by Dreamy; 2nd April 2013 at 10:17 PM.

Agreed I never call any of my stuff complete either, I'm usually not happy with anything I do, so I just say 'here it is'

All of Studio Ghibli's films are on my list of best movies ever, like Rex^ said they are a huge inspiration.

Also, I believe we should pay homage to this fascinating woman: Maria Sibylla Merian (naturalist and scientific illustrator)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maria_Sibylla_Merian

Here is a quick 15 min. sketch I did (ran out of time to do any real shading and highlights, so don't be too harsh ^_^)

I really like that staghorn alot, very very cool. Great for a quick sketch, those legs are so creepy, i love it. As for that woman, very fascinating! I have a few very nice old etchings acquired from a german artist. They are really nice old anatomy and field study photos of reptiles and avian species. I will have to read that whole wiki page about her, very intriguing thanks for sharing!
    Rexxaroo

Glad to see all the art!

I finished my set of Eeveevolution badges...and yes I know there is no Eevee.

Poetry, good job on Samus Aran. Metroid is cool. Also watercolors can be a pain... >P

Nice beetle Coyote. Although I'm not so fond of the "creepy-crawlies" myself, even beetles (one climbed on my shoe while I was daydreaming and walking ( 6 yrs old)), it's a cool 15 min drawing. That horn and those hairy legs 0 . 0

Quote Originally Posted by FrostStorm View Post
    Glad to see all the art!

Poetry, good job on Samus Aran. Metroid is cool. Also watercolors can be a pain... >P

Nice beetle Coyote. Although I'm not so fond of the "creepy-crawlies" myself, even beetles (one climbed on my shoe while I was daydreaming and walking ( 6 yrs old)), it's a cool 15 min drawing. That horn and those hairy legs 0 . 0
    Seriously those are tiny.....i think that's actually a tad too small, my broswer is at 125% and I can't see sylveon clearly... maybe work larger then if you like them small you can resize them when you;re finished..?

I was just about to mention them lol I love all of their movies so much ^_^

I assume you used watercolor paper, even it has it's limits as far as saturation goes, if not I'm impressed with how well it held together.

Her face looks fine to me, maybe a little more shading could help, but all-in-all well done.
    Thank you! I didn't use watercolour paper, our school doesn't stock it on account of it being so expensive and people not really seeing the need. I used a light brown-ish sheet of paper as you can see in the picture which sort of had the texture of recycled paper so it was extra fibrous and soft when wet. Yeah, it held well together but I think it was more my fault as I have a tendency to use too much water, I think.

also your beetle/insect (I don't know what it is >.>) sketch looks really good, considering you did it in 15 minutes. It does look like it needs some shading though, especially on the main body.

It does happen to me an awful lot, where I'm never happy with a piece and constantly attempt to make adjustments to it, even when I know it looks acceptable. I have trouble finding that balance between the point where it looks fine and doesn't need adjustments and the point where it's been tampered with so much that it looks a thousand times worse than the original.

Studio Ghibli produce some of the most incredible films in the history of modern cinema. Spirited Away and My Neighbour Totoro are my favourites but I think the latter best argues the case for films as an art form. I still get shivers when I watch the scene where Mei, Satsuke and Totoro raise the oak shoots from the ground and fly to the top of the tree, only to wake up and find that the shoots really have sprouted in the morning. I think films like that serve as the visual manifestation of what every artist aspires to do; to enrapture and to move with one's creation and to change one's life with the simplest of strokes, in this case the sheer beauty of childhood innocence, and not only the joy of those who can still benefit from it, but the sorrow felt by those whose gap left by age has been hallowed by watching the film... I don't know how people like Miyazaki do it but someday I'm going to find out.

But yes, thanks to everyone who offered advice and encouragement while I was painting, you really were a big help. Honestly ^^
    [CYTUS]
    ICE - L
    eyemedia - Bloody Purity
    xi - FREEDOM DiVE↓

Thank you! I didn't use watercolour paper, our school doesn't stock it on account of it being so expensive and people not really seeing the need. I used a light brown-ish sheet of paper as you can see in the picture which sort of had the texture of recycled paper so it was extra fibrous and soft when wet. Yeah, it held well together but I think it was more my fault as I have a tendency to use too much water, I think.

also your beetle/insect (I don't know what it is >.>) sketch looks really good, considering you did it in 15 minutes. It does look like it needs some shading though, especially on the main body.
    I do 15 minute and 30 minute sketches, once the time is up I don't touch it anymore, I like to see how much more I can do each time.

@FrostStorm Awesome badges, yeah they are a little small for my liking too, but I really love the Espeon one.

I'd like to join the Artist's Corner!

Username: TransDonald
    Nickname: Donald
    What art you enjoy doing: Drawing, doodling, and spriting
    How you became interested in art: Ever since I actually drew my first drawing and not putting the paper over a picture and copying it.
    Shinies:

HG Nuzlocke League!

Credit goes to Brutaka for the awesome banners!

I do 15 minute and 30 minute sketches, once the time is up I don't touch it anymore, I like to see how much more I can do each time.

@FrostStorm Awesome badges, yeah they are a little small for my liking too, but I really love the Espeon one.
    @Coyote: That is a really good idea, maybe i will have to start trying that. It would be good to do every morning to clear my head for the day

@Frost: I agree that they are too small, but they are neat looking. The umbreon is my favorite
    Rexxaroo

I've never been much of a banner maker, honestly. I usually design my banners in the basic style: cropped image, border, drop shadow, styled text. Today I made one of my first grunge styled banners, as seen in my signature. I'm pretty new to banner-making, and I'm still messing around with blurs, grunges, and filters. Not sure if I'm doing the grunge effect correctly, all I'm doing is creating black-and-white noise and blending it on top of the background. Any tips or suggestions? Original background image is here if you need a reference to it.

These are good! You know, I've always wanted to be able to do badges, but I don't own a tablet and my drawing skills aren't so great, either. I'm more of a sprite and graphics editing artist, y'know? I can probably make a badge out of a Pokémon sprite but it wouldn't have the same "custom-made" feel. Keep up the good work!
    Last edited by PikaPika677; 3rd April 2013 at 9:21 PM.

@Coyote: That is a really good idea, maybe i will have to start trying that. It would be good to do every morning to clear my head for the day

@Frost: I agree that they are too small, but they are neat looking. The umbreon is my favorite
    Yeah it's great for getting the creative juices flowing

I love the Umbreon badge too

Here is a quick sketch I just did of a chickadee from my deck:
    sorry it's so light, I lowered the brightness on my scanner so it would pick up better

Last edited by Dreamy; 3rd April 2013 at 9:18 PM.

First attempt at animated banners :3
    had alot of trouble with the layers..apparently you have to copy and paste your other layers and merge them onto the gif itself...>.<

Not sure how to shorten gifs, but it came out alright...

Quote Originally Posted by ~BrightStarVictory~ View Post
    Seriously those are tiny.....i think that's actually a tad too small, my broswer is at 125% and I can't see sylveon clearly... maybe work larger then if you like them small you can resize them when you;re finished..?
    No, that is a badge's normal size. I'm already stretching the limit to 60 x 60, it's supposed to be 50 x 50. I...not making a jumbo badge...yet. 0 - 0

And they start out at about 200 x 200. The line art, I mean. And if you can't see then try switching to another skin...?

@Coyote Yeah the Espeon is probably the best out of the batch...although Vaporeon was probably the most fun to make.

Edit: People they are normal sized and not too small!!! SHEESH
    Northern Lights' was smaller! Mine are like 60 x 60, small is 50 x 50.... ):<

And Tini there are some black dots near the end of the GIF...?
    Last edited by Toyosatomimi no Miko; 4th April 2013 at 12:31 AM.

And Tini there are some black dots near the end of the GIF...?
    I think that has to do with the gif itself....:/ since I tried it with another one and when it came out it didnt have the black spots...ehh >.<

@Coyote: Very cool! Neat little bird I do have a question, why the corner looks erased out? As does the one on your staghorn i noticed? Is that just blotting out your sig? Just odd to me ^^ not calling you out or anything, yo.

@Frost: They do look good, i suppose it was the skin i was using after all good work!

@Brightstar: Very awesome banner! I love how you meshed the gif and image together. Looks great! I rather like the black dots on the edge of the gif tbh

@Trans: Welcome nice to meet ya!
    Rexxaroo

@Coyote: Very cool! Neat little bird I do have a question, why the corner looks erased out? As does the one on your staghorn i noticed? Is that just blotting out your sig? Just odd to me ^^ not calling you out or anything, yo.
    Yeah I just erased my sig in Paint

@Frost: I see what you are saying, I've seen those 50 x 50 ones before

@Brightstar: Nice banner looks good

I've made a lot of art...
    Regular Banner:

Frag Banner:

Split Userbars:

Credit to Shadow for the Buttons

Page 66 of 107 FirstFirst ... 165662636465666768697076 ... LastLast