View Poll Results: Who's club banner is the best? (see below)

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • Eeveelover824

6 11.54%
  • colorless-winter

0 0%
  • Sworn Metalhead

23 44.23%
  • Azulart

6 11.54%
  • Callie-Rose

1 1.92%
  • extroph

15 28.85%
  • Kutie Pie

1 1.92%
Page 76 of 107 FirstFirst ... 266672737475767778798086 ... LastLast
Results 1,876 to 1,900 of 2651

Thread: The Artist's Corner

Quote Originally Posted by Eeveelover824 View Post
    the banner looks great but one thing that just me is that bothers me is that the cut offs on cilan don't look right...if you did what you did with ash that would of worked wonders and raise ash a bit though up to make it align with the banner....as for the top cut of on his hair...try to find something thats not cut off...it just looks strange in my opnion...the banner is nice beside that i love it...good job...
    Hmm, i'll try to find something, problem is most of the screen shots that I was looking at for Cilan had the hair already cut off to begin with, so unless I attempted at drawing in the top of his hair, nothing would really work, at least out of the main poses that I really liked, and that was the one that hit me the most. And when I tried to make Ash bigger I ran out of room for the font. I actually had to make Cilan bigger to make him look like they were actually standing next to each other, I don't think it worked to well. If nothing else I could attempt at drawing in his hair. I had to do that with some of Gary's hair in my last banner, problem was even that had to be cut off at some point.

Spoiler:- These were the screenies I used if you were curious:

Spoiler:- Related spoiler tag note,other screenies I thought of using:

My main concern isn't really with the cut offs its more with the font and how unbalanced it looks. Like Cilan is taking up more than half the banner and it feels like its all leaning a bit more to the right. I dunno if that's really the right font I should be using or how to make it look balanced with out having to make it longer. -its already pushing sig limits length wise-
    Last edited by Dragoniss; 25th June 2013 at 3:25 AM. Reason: image tag fail

NNID: Antagonistgreen | 3DS FC: 4727-5570-4170

Tumblr | Youtube | Twitch | Deviant Art | Miiverse
    Palletshipping | Cafemochashipping | Namelessshipping

Quote Originally Posted by Dragoniss View Post
    Hmm, i'll try to find something, problem is most of the screen shots that I was looking at for Cilan had the hair already cut off to begin with, so unless I attempted at drawing in the top of his hair, nothing would really work, at least out of the main poses that I really liked, and that was the one that hit me the most. And when I tried to make Ash bigger I ran out of room for the font. I actually had to make Cilan bigger to make him look like they were actually standing next to each other, I don't think it worked to well. If nothing else I could attempt at drawing in his hair. I had to do that with some of Gary's hair in my last banner, problem was even that had to be cut off at some point.

Spoiler:- These were the screenies I used if you were curious:

Spoiler:- Related spoiler tag note,other screenies I thought of using:

My main concern isn't really with the cut offs its more with the font and how unbalanced it looks. Like Cilan is taking up more than half the banner and it feels like its all leaning a bit more to the right. I dunno if that's really the right font I should be using or how to make it look balanced with out having to make it longer. -its already pushing sig limits length wise-
    when making pop out banners i tend to make them blend in is what im saying so they don't look out of place

like this image
    http://static.tumblr.com/iqcywuk/C2jm200sn/cilan_bw.png
    or
    http://www.pocketmonsters.net/images...3147430055.png

its a full shot of him but just cut what is nessary with the wand tool that matches your banner size and erase what is needed...hope you get what im saying...

Hmm, yeah, I understand. I'm more or less though trying to create a scene, more like its literally Cilan speaking and Ash reacting. I just feel screenshots are a bit less static and have more emotion to them. More or less taking things out of context, it's like my job or something heh heh. I'll try but I personally have never liked "stock" images of just a character standing there, I've always preferred working with screenshots.

Hmm, yeah, I understand. I'm more or less though trying to create a scene, more like its literally Cilan speaking and Ash reacting. I just feel screenshots are a bit less static and have more emotion to them. More or less taking things out of context, it's like my job or something heh heh. I'll try but I personally have never liked "stock" images of just a character standing there, I've always preferred working with screenshots.
    hmmm well i tried yeah i mean you don't have to use those images just saying maybe you could find a image like that what you have and extract it as well...just trying to help...

hey guys sorry I haven't posted here in a while xD well I just finished a drawing of the sinnoh trio and I would like to know what you guys think.
    its a pretty big drawing so here is a link!

http://frostbitten-winter.deviantart...Trio-380633756

banner made by Lucina Archealis (I don't think I spelt that right OTL)
    ^U^ I LOVE Crona from soul eater!
    owner of the silver fan club
    VM me and such if you wanna play some SSBB! im always up for a challange!

Quote Originally Posted by Eeveelover824 View Post
    hmmm well i tried yeah i mean you don't have to use those images just saying maybe you could find a image like that what you have and extract it as well...just trying to help...
    Ahh no no it's perfectly fine. I thank you. I'm still trying to look at all my options. I did manage to adjust it enough to where I could have all of Cilan's hair that he has in the actual screenshot...and then I tried re-drawing it and it turned out like poo lol. I'm still musing over it.

Quote Originally Posted by colorless-winter View Post
    hey guys sorry I haven't posted here in a while xD well I just finished a drawing of the sinnoh trio and I would like to know what you guys think.

Super cool! I like what you did with the glow effect as well as what you did for Giratina's little spike...things...I don't even know what they are 0o0 [by the way you just got a watcher on DA ]

__________________________________________________ _____________

Was up till 3 in the morning last night with the urge to draw...and so I did

Spoiler:- snips just cause:

I dunno if I should finish it or not.
    Last edited by Dragoniss; 26th June 2013 at 2:27 AM.

It looks pretty cool, you have some proportions off though, like with Palkia, but otherwise nice job. I like how Giratina looks so sad, was that intentional?

@Dragoniss Yes you should definitely finish it, I would love to see it in color.

@ dragoniss- Thanks! to be honest I don't know what they are eitherbut I call then the long spiky wingy thingys (because in the alternate form those are his wings)
    also thanks for the watch I knew that the name was really famillar but I wasn't sure so I didn't mention anything xD

@coyote_dynamo - hmm well it was my first time ever drawing palkia and proportions are something I need to work on so thanks for the comment about that
    it kinda was because he was banished for his violence and is all alone so I think he would be sad. though at first I tried to make him look menacing it didn't work out so I made him look more like he's sad. though to me he looks kinda grim and solemn, not so much as sad
    Last edited by colorless-winter; 27th June 2013 at 9:30 PM.

@coyote_dynamo - hmm well it was my first time ever drawing palkia and proportions are something I need to work on so thanks for the comment about that
    it kinda was because he was banished for his violence and is all alone so I think he would be sad. though at first I tried to make him look menacing it didn't work out so I made him look more like he's sad.
    Coolbeans, it was a nice touch, turn lemons into lemonade I always say

thanks im glad you like it ^^

Welp...I colored it.

I had fun finishing it. I'm totally going to be working on more pictures of these two . This is my first time working with my grass and cloud brushes,so hopefully they turned out ok, I also don't know how to do tree bark texture so bah.

I'd like to join the Artist's Corner!

Username: Manafi's Dream
    Nickname: Manafi
    What art you enjoy doing: painting, ink, etc.
    How you became interested in art: when it got me into my high school...

If I can find the file and put it on another website, I'll be sure to share one of my favorites with y'all!

EDIT: Uploaded it!
    Last edited by Manafi's Dream; 28th June 2013 at 6:46 AM.
    "Your memories are connected, like links in a chain. Those same chains are what anchor us all together."
    -Naminé

Pokemon X Team - French Playthrough
    *COMPLETE*
    Amphinobi | Noctali | Mentali | Farfaduvet | Darumacho | Carchakrok
    3DS FC: 0430 - 9679 - 6068
    IGN: Micah
    Friend Safari Type: Fire
    Friend Safari Pokemon: Magmar, Ninetales, Charmeleon

Spoiler:- Credits, etc.:

Sorry for no posts for...a little while, I currently have no way to do any art (which saddens me ;_; ), as I am in another country on another computer with none of the usual things I use for art (as such my sig is stuck like this for...oh, two months) (i.e Photoshop/Gimp, paper, Sharpie, etc.). I am currently digging through my cousin's stuff in attempt to find some paper. And I need a way to record all of these ideas filling up my brain. So...enough with that.

[insert text here (this is to save you all from scrolling)][/spoiler]

I dunno if I should finish it or not.
    Well now that it's done...
    It's not bad. Good, considering that was the first time with the brushes.
    [text]
    Because I don't really want to go back and click that little speech bubble to multi-quote, I'll say it here. It is...GLORIOUS ;_; And agreeing with Coyote, Palkia does look a little odd, perhaps a little skinny in the belly?
    [text]
    *see above

And you took out the heart...
    Quote Originally Posted by Manafi's Dream View Post
    [text]
    I like it, mostly because of the coloring style...I'm not the type who's big into flowers, but it's not bad.

Other:
    To the "chicken scratches": Yeah, I use them too. I used to be able to draw stuff without them, but I kinda lost that ability. But it unnerves me when I draw the scratches with too much force, and then when I want to erase them I get "ghosts" all over my paper.

Yeah, that's about it for now.
    Last edited by Toyosatomimi no Miko; 28th June 2013 at 7:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by FrostStorm View Post
    I like it, mostly because of the coloring style...I'm not the type who's big into flowers, but it's not bad.
    Thank you! It's actually a project for an art class that I literally did in less than two hours... And that includes the drying time! I was finishing so I could actually go on my trip to France over Spring Break; a few weeks later it won a 2nd place painting award in my school's art gallery/show. -_- I also entered another painting that I had worked on for two weeks, but surprisingly, I got nothing for that one...

Just so we're clear, all of my artwork is traditional; no digital works will be coming from me.
    Last edited by Manafi's Dream; 28th June 2013 at 8:05 AM.
    "Your memories are connected, like links in a chain. Those same chains are what anchor us all together."
    -Naminé

*COMPLETE*

@froststorm- thank you so much for that ^U^ that made my night xP and its a palkia that is overlyl skinny and is less than 740.8 lbs. XD

@manifi's dream- that is so cool I love the watercolor coloring and how it goes to a lighter color and blueish twords the bottom ^^ also im glad to see some wonderful traditional art here! why don't you show us the one you worked on for two weeks? I would love to see it! and I bet everyone else would too

http://i.imgur.com/PJYcbKk.png

just sketching silly things and poses of fat easter island head looking men with my new tablet (Wacom Intuos 4). i wanted to share it because i think the way the nipples look is hilarious. very chowder. lol.

drawing digitally is something that's kinda hard to get used to. i don't think i'll ever like it more than traditional (when it comes to pen & ink). straight lines and everthing that implies (cross-hatching for example) seem easier to draw traditionally for me.

also, more importantly, a interesting (to me, at least) question for the club:

do you think it's more important to have a personal (read:recognizable) style or do you think it's more important to be able to do many things and be a kind of jack of all trades but not having as much of a personal style?

@manifi's dream- that is so cool I love the watercolor coloring and how it goes to a lighter color and blueish twords the bottom ^^ also im glad to see some wonderful traditional art here! why don't you show us the one you worked on for two weeks? I would love to see it! and I bet everyone else would too
    Thank you! I just uploaded it so I could share it with you guys!

This particular one was the first in a series of studies of LeRoy Neiman's artistic style. It was for my AP Drawing portfolio's Concentration section. It was done almost completely with a palette knife, and the only time I used a paintbrush was when I wrote the characters on the belt. I am pretty sad to say that I ran out of time on the rest of my pieces in the study, and none of them quite met the expectations I had after finishing this one.
    -Naminé

*COMPLETE*

do you think it's more important to have a personal (read:recognizable) style or do you think it's more important to be able to do many things and be a kind of jack of all trades but not having as much of a personal style?

I think it's important to practice both; which one matters more probably depends on what you use your art for, and what you personally want to achieve with it. Being recognizable can be good if you're selling something, but being able to do lots of different things means you can reach a wider audience, so to speak. It's good to refine skills you already have and to draw outside your own box sometimes -- something I don't do nearly enough, sadly. XD

SHINY RAINBOWS BECKON YOU TO THE ARTIST'S CORNER

Trainer Name: Misha
    3DS FC: 5112-3720-5938
    Friend Safari: Fighting; Pancham, Machoke, Hariyama

Quote Originally Posted by Manafi's Dream View Post
    Thank you! I just uploaded it so I could share it with you guys!

This particular one was the first in a series of studies of LeRoy Neiman's artistic style. It was for my AP Drawing portfolio's Concentration section. It was done almost completely with a palette knife, and the only time I used a paintbrush was when I wrote the characters on the belt. I am pretty sad to say that I ran out of time on the rest of my pieces in the study, and none of them quite met the expectations I had after finishing this one.
    I think this is really quite good. You've done a really good job of capturing the creases and the feel of the material, especially on the leg, using the different colours and textures of paint. The background is also very well done, as is the surprisingly detailed face and neck, especially considering the fact that you used a palette knife to paint it.

However, I would say that there are one or two things which I would say needs improvement. The person's left hand looks very off, with the wrists a little too thin and the hand too pointed. It's unfortunate the viewer is drawn to that part of the painting in particular due to the person's pose, as it means that the focus of the picture is on something which evidently didn't go as expected rather than something that did; like the fabric of the clothes or the background.

Also (and this is more just my own personal opinion), I just don't feel like it achieves the sheer vibrancy and "pow" of Neiman's work. This may have been intentional, but the colours you used for the background are mainly sort of dull, predominantly dark colours which seems to bring the piece down in terms of brightness and... well, just general impact, I suppose. I think simply applying a more variety of colours to the background would remedy this. Other than that, good job.

Yes, like Kaiserin I'd say it depends heavily on what you're creating the art for. Having your own personal style lends itself naturally to people becoming very recognisable and their works often selling for a lot because of this, but being good at everything and anything means that you can really properly explore different techniques and combinations and offer multiple perspectives on things rather than just simply looking at the world through one window. It all comes down to what you want to do and why you've chosen to be an artist, really. Self-expression or self-promotion?
    [CYTUS]
    ICE - L
    eyemedia - Bloody Purity
    xi - FREEDOM DiVE↓

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiserin View Post
    Well it depends on your career path, if you are a traditional artist then it is almost required to have your own style, but if you are a commercial artist(i.e. web design, graphic design, etc...) then it is important to have a hand in several areas that you can pull from to please the client. There are always exceptions to the rules, so just do what you feel is the strongest for you, but don't be afraid to try new things.

Here's a handdrawn picture I did last week:

Note: I didn't want to color them, but I drew them yet I'm lacking ideas of what Pokemon to draw.
    Attached Images Attached Images

DeviantART Account|Youtube Account|Tumblr Account
    [*IMG]http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x321/BrutakaBlaziken/Quilava42GIF_zps60c971ae.gif[/IMG*]

Please check the signature rules. Image size in total cannot exceed 500 kB.

@Quilava42
    Those are adorable I especially like the Cyndaquill

Made a doodle comic for Ash's new outfit. Really sloppy, probably not going to see the light of day much. It was just a test on drawing figures and what not. I'm starting to see a trend that my sketches are better than the finished stuff...

Here's the comic.

It's very important to have a style that's all your own. If your art is the same as everyone elses then who would want to hire you? When companies hire people they look for what you add to their product. How can you make them stand out, it's not just about being good but also having a very recognizable style that people can just see and say "oh yeah, that's that artist for [insert company name here]" It is also important in the world of commissions. People will more often than not look to you because they like your style or feel it works well with their character, and quite frankly I think people should look to you because of your style.

It's not always the case however, you will have times where companies or commissioners want you to draw in a certain way for a certain job, and if you want their money you better be willing to do what they ask for. That's not to say you should totally abandon your style, but try to make your style work with someone elses style to give it a new twist. The main thing is keeping your art recognizable, your art should be treated like your signature. At least that's what I think.
    Last edited by Dragoniss; 2nd July 2013 at 1:28 AM.

@Quilava42

Made a doodle comic for Ash's new outfit. Really sloppy, probably not going to see the light of day much. It was just a test on drawing figures and what not. I'm starting to see a trend that my sketches are better than the finished stuff...

Here's the comic.
    That reminds me of a person's post of Ash on Tumblr yesterday regarding Ash's design. For some reason, I'm interested that you made him older than usual, despite the fact that he may be 10(which annoys me), but his facial expression along with his overall design really complements the theme, even by how Gary gets jealous with that fact.

In fact, it kind of does. It matters that an artist needs to develop their own well, developed style instead of copying a person's style. I mean, it's better for people to recognize it's the artist so the artist can gave recognition and more attention than stereotyping that in terms of copying style and claiming it as there's. Do you want a person's style to be unique, well developed, one that possesses a theme about each portrait they do? Instead of trying to copy a person's without any soul put into it? Think about that.

Welp, here's a link to my WIP of an underwater portrait.

EDIT: Here's the final lineart.
    Last edited by Quilava42; 3rd July 2013 at 5:09 AM.

DeviantART Account|Youtube Account|Tumblr Account
    [*IMG]http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x321/BrutakaBlaziken/Quilava42GIF_zps60c971ae.gif[/IMG*]

Please check the signature rules. Image size in total cannot exceed 500 kB.

I think its important to have both. a personal style is important as it shows your originality with the piece you are making. but being able to extend past your preferred style is important too as it can expand on how you see art and sometimes you can learn to draw things you wouldn't normally draw. if you have your personal style and also know how to use other peoples styles then if you are drawing something then you can use your style while kind of mixing it with the style of the creator. learning many styles is good for trying new things with your art but you also want to have your own style mixed in so it doesn't look like a copy of the original artist's work.

also I would like to share with you guys my drawing of Pit from Kid Icarus. I worked really hard on this and tried some new things with the background and coloring. it was difficult for me to go stray from my soft shading style but I really like the style of shading I did on this piece but enough about what I think I would like to know what you guys think about my drawing!
    http://frostbitten-winter.deviantart...SSBB-382241010

Hey I'm been making this. I kinda need help up one else I could add other than text and giving me so advice to.

-00swms

**Credit to Sworn**

Page 76 of 107 FirstFirst ... 266672737475767778798086 ... LastLast