View Poll Results: Who's club banner is the best? (see below)

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • Eeveelover824

6 11.54%
  • colorless-winter

0 0%
  • Sworn Metalhead

23 44.23%
  • Azulart

6 11.54%
  • Callie-Rose

1 1.92%
  • extroph

15 28.85%
  • Kutie Pie

1 1.92%
Page 85 of 107 FirstFirst ... 357581828384858687888995 ... LastLast
Results 2,101 to 2,125 of 2651

Thread: The Artist's Corner

Welcome, Namelesskitty! I like to think we're quite good at helping people out here, hehe. I've seen a lot of good feedback (and good reception of said feedback) being passed around, which makes me happy.

I also have two drawings I haven't posted here yet, so I figured I'd drop those off if anyone has any critique to offer. The first one is just a practice with poses, particularly my horribly weak grasp of the lower body, and the second is more an exercise with cool colors (again). Have at, I guess!

SHINY RAINBOWS BECKON YOU TO THE ARTIST'S CORNER

Trainer Name: Misha
    3DS FC: 5112-3720-5938
    Friend Safari: Fighting; Pancham, Machoke, Hariyama

Great! thanks a bunch.
    Here's a sample of my work, Tear at it. just tell me specifically why it's bad.

I make signature banners, if you'd like one VM me and I'll see if I can get back to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiserin View Post
    Welcome, Namelesskitty! I like to think we're quite good at helping people out here, hehe. I've seen a lot of good feedback (and good reception of said feedback) being passed around, which makes me happy.

I also have two drawings I haven't posted here yet, so I figured I'd drop those off if anyone has any critique to offer. The first one is just a practice with poses, particularly my horribly weak grasp of the lower body, and the second is more an exercise with cool colors (again). Have at, I guess!
    Wow first time I've seen your works.
    You're right, the weakest part for the 1st drawing would be the lower part of the body. I'm also a bit uncomfortable with her fingers, because it looks more like man's fingers (rounded) than girls (sharp edged). Her right knee's shading is making it look more like a bruise, while her left knee is perfect. Great details especially the hair and shirt. Overall, awesome work!

For the second one, the only thing that bothers me is the position of the taller woman's head. The way she leans her head is kinda awkward, maybe because shes far taller than the little girl. Other than that, it's a wonderful piece. well complementing background, great use of color, and again the details astounds me. Another well-made work.

Quote Originally Posted by Namelesskitty View Post
    Great! thanks a bunch.
    Specifically, It's not bad, it's just too simple.
    You could add some more details in it, such as an outline around the banner, some lighting/gradient, scanlines, drop shadow, or color overlay (Sorry I'm bad with names and terms.) Perfection lies on details. Good luck!

Hey guys, I posted something but no one saw it cause it's on the other page. Pleaae give it a look (:

Quote Originally Posted by AnakBaé View Post
    Wow first time I've seen your works.
    You're right, the weakest part for the 1st drawing would be the lower part of the body. I'm also a bit uncomfortable with her fingers, because it looks more like man's fingers (rounded) than girls (sharp edged). Her right knee's shading is making it look more like a bruise, while her left knee is perfect. Great details especially the hair and shirt. Overall, awesome work!
    Haha, fingers are another self-admitted weakness of mine, so I'm glad you pointed that out. I actually had someone tell me the way I was doing sharper fingers for girls/feminine characters was weird, so I switched to rounded... Guess I'll have to experiment with hands a bit, next. And yeah, I had trouble with the shading, unsurprisingly. Bleh, light sources...

Thanks for the feedback!

SHINY RAINBOWS BECKON YOU TO THE ARTIST'S CORNER

Trainer Name: Misha
    3DS FC: 5112-3720-5938
    Friend Safari: Fighting; Pancham, Machoke, Hariyama

Hey everyone, my clan is going to be having another Tournament soon, so I was putting together the banner and wanted to see what other people think about it.

Spoiler:- Banner:

^You ever have that moment you realize you forgot to give credit? Sorry Irra!!^

The way that the Weavile overlaps troof and Mewtwo, looks kinda awkward and throws the sense of depth off, also the shading on Weavile's crest seems kinda awkwardly flat eith the layering effect you've done.

All criticism aside, it's actually really nice and it seems like you've used layering quite adeptly.

I make signature banners, if you'd like one VM me and I'll see if I can get back to you.

The way that the Weavile overlaps troof and Mewtwo, looks kinda awkward and throws the sense of depth off, also the shading on Weavile's crest seems kinda awkwardly flat eith the layering effect you've done.

All criticism aside, it's actually really nice and it seems like you've used layering quite adeptly.
    I was trying to make Weavile look closer than the other two, that's why I did that. The shading was meant to be kind of a fog style ish thing, I dunno, I'd love help with that for people that are good at gimp :x

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiserin View Post
    Haha, fingers are another self-admitted weakness of mine, so I'm glad you pointed that out. I actually had someone tell me the way I was doing sharper fingers for girls/feminine characters was weird, so I switched to rounded... Guess I'll have to experiment with hands a bit, next. And yeah, I had trouble with the shading, unsurprisingly. Bleh, light sources...

Thanks for the feedback!
    You're welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonicwari View Post
    Hey everyone, my clan is going to be having another Tournament soon, so I was putting together the banner and wanted to see what other people think about it.

Try focusing the light into one spot or two, cuz those multiple light spots make the banner look too much and hard to identify. The text is also unreadable, mainly because of its size compared to the actual size of the banner and color (dark red text in a blue & black banner). Good render position and the background is fine.

I was trying to make Weavile look closer than the other two, that's why I did that. The shading was meant to be kind of a fog style ish thing, I dunno, I'd love help with that for people that are good at gimp :x

Thanks
    Fog/clouds for Gimp in case you don't know: Filters -> Render -> Clouds -> Plasma/fog -> Adjust the turbulence -> Adjust the capacity.

Also, try this Script for Gimp. You will definitely love it. Good luck!
    http://registry.gimp.org/node/186
    Last edited by AnakBaé; 12th September 2013 at 7:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AnakBaé View Post
    You're welcome!

Try focusing the light into one spot or two, cuz those multiple light spots make the banner look too much and hard to identify. The text is also unreadable, mainly because of its size compared to the actual size of the banner and color (dark red text in a blue & black banner). Good render position and the background is fine.

Fog/clouds for Gimp in case you don't know: Filters -> Render -> Clouds -> Plasma/fog -> Adjust the turbulence -> Adjust the capacity.

Also, try this Script for Gimp. You will definitely love it. Good luck!
    http://registry.gimp.org/node/186
    So I'll make the text bigger and I can see the text just fine :x Is there a color you would suggest?

I tried fog but didn't like the look, so I used solid noise, changed the color balance so it was more cyan colored, then I think I grain merged it over the other layers. Maybe I'll try fog again or something

Thanks for the help and will do!

So I'll make the text bigger and I can see the text just fine :x Is there a color you would suggest?

I tried fog but didn't like the look, so I used solid noise, changed the color balance so it was more cyan colored, then I think I grain merged it over the other layers. Maybe I'll try fog again or something

Thanks for the help and will do!
    Alright I will continue this to PM since it's going to be a small tutorial.

The Weavile's edges are a little rough, I can see white extraction pixels under its left (right?) arm. And the edges on the inside are rough too. The top of the right (left?) eye looks like someone sprited it instead of Sugimori drawing it. It sometimes happens when you resize something, more so when you enlarge it though. If you ever feel that something is too small, don't enlarge it, find a bigger one.

All the black makes it a little hard to see some things.

To make something stick out, you can add an outline, add a glow, or add a duplicated layer (well, I only ever use those three methods of sticking out, really).
    Duplicate > Blur (optional) > Set on Overlay or Soft Light (rarely anything else, you can experiment though)

If you want to keep the text that size, then you have to add an outline or change the color. Not like, lime green, cause that'd just look awkward, but something not too dark or light. Try a brighter red or something. Slightly.

Other than the small details I'm randomly pointing out, it's not bad.
    Not the best, but not bad.

-dahrue
    I feel that the brushes on the right are slanting in the wrong direction.

New kind of style. A LOT of 'soft light' brush work in the back ground. Fractal/C4ds, slightly. Feedback?

Quote Originally Posted by dahrue View Post
    New kind of style. A LOT of 'soft light' brush work in the back ground. Fractal/C4ds, slightly. Feedback?

Looks pretty damn good to me.

^Need to work on this one some more.

I like this one a lot o3o
    Last edited by Astral Shadow; 15th September 2013 at 5:02 AM.

I whipped this up after I came home from class today. Mind you, I don't watch MLP but I do love Vinyl Scratch's design. :P

| my anime list | anime reviews blog | photobucket | soundcloud |
    | ask me anything...no really! | level my sylveon! |
    | latest anime review: .hack//Sign |
    | currently watching: .hack//Tasogare no Udewa Densetsu // 07-Ghost // 11eyes // 2x2=Shinobuden // Inuyasha |

Great! thanks a bunch.
    Good start! but it is a bit simple :/ just a quick change, such as background image would really spice it up a bit. if thats a comet in the background, google 'halleys comet' its a very beautful and famous comet that only appears in our sky every 76 years and... *goes into science rant* other than that, its a good start! just needs a litte work.

and one more thing...

*raises hand* QUESTION!
    does anyone know how to add bevel or drop shadow effect on GIMP? ive been trying to find it for a while now, but to no success T_T

Agression, Destruction.
    Meowstic is officially mine!

Credit to SM

Quote Originally Posted by epicjirachifan View Post
    Good start! but it is a bit simple :/ just a quick change, such as background image would really spice it up a bit. if thats a comet in the background, google 'halleys comet' its a very beautful and famous comet that only appears in our sky every 76 years and... *goes into science rant* other than that, its a good start! just needs a litte work.

and one more thing...

*raises hand* QUESTION!
    does anyone know how to add bevel or drop shadow effect on GIMP? ive been trying to find it for a while now, but to no success T_T
    I know for drop shadow you go into Filters, Light and Shadow, and Drop Shadow is near the bottom of the menu.

| currently watching: .hack//Tasogare no Udewa Densetsu // 07-Ghost // 11eyes // 2x2=Shinobuden // Inuyasha |

Worked on this awhile ago, was trying out something. I sorta like how it came out... Opinions?

Quote Originally Posted by epicjirachifan View Post
    *raises hand* QUESTION!
    For Drop Shadow you either do what Savanny said, or:
    Select the layer you want to add a shadow to.
    Alpha to Selection
    New Layer, place it under that layer
    Paint bucket a color
    Then deselect
    Go to Filters > Blurs > Gaussian Blur
    And adjust to your liking.

I never found the bevel on Gimp to be very useful, but iirc it's Filters > something. Just hover your mouse over all the things until you find it. I think it's under edges? Or something else, haven't used GIMP in a while.

Also. Your sig. iNSaNiTY is epic song.

Quote Originally Posted by TurboPieFire View Post
    Worked on this awhile ago, was trying out something. I sorta like how it came out... Opinions?

Slakoth. <3
    What were you trying out? I think the background could use a bit more color. Maybe pinkish like Slakoth's nose or eyelids? You could also adjust the contrast on Slakoth to make him stand out more. Just my two cents.

thank you so much! ishall try it (and post results here!)
    and @azure: i know right? i discovered it yesterdayand have been listening to it pretty much nonstop XD #

as for the slackoth banner, its a nice banner! but its a bit bland for me,i agree with savanny, just a bit more colour would do it

Agression, Destruction.
    Meowstic is officially mine!

Credit to SM

Quote Originally Posted by Savanny Killersaurus View Post
        Spoiler:- :
    It looks pretty good there o:

Spoiler:- :
    Like other people said, more colors would be nice. Either pink or white would look nice imo.

Another banner along with the 2 still on this page.

I think I'm getting the hang of this text thing.

Suddenly into buttons. How do these look?

Also mini-banners. Making more today. Should the background be more or less active?

Claimed Majora's Mask/Skull Kid | 3DSFC - 4811.7177.1372.Liam | Art by me, TIL Userbar by Astral Shadow

Formerly: Chapter of Charizard

Quote Originally Posted by Chapter of Charizard View Post

Also mini-banners. Making more today. Should the background be more or less active?

The buttons look good. I like to outline the text in black to make the text stand out more.

Altaria banner could use some more going on in the background, maybe some clouds or something. Tauros banner looks fine to me.

As have been said a million times, more color.
    I think if you add more color and another effect yet still manage to make it look lethargic (it's a freaking sloth yo), it's good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Astral Shadow View Post

Another banner along with the 2 still on this page.

I think I'm getting the hang of this text thing.
    You're definitely getting better.
    I suggest working on light sources though, cause the one on the render is from the left and on the background it's on the bottom-right...
    Quote Originally Posted by Chapter of Charizard View Post

Add outlines to make the text easier to read. It doesn't necessarily have to be black though.
    Altaria one is way too plain. The render doesn't really stick out either. The Hall of Fame text is slightly blurry, not too bad though.
    Second one needs more brushes/effects. It's better... And again, render doesn't stick out enough. IMO it's way too small too. Don't shrink it down so far and remember to remove Xous54's watermark (if you got permission).

Page 85 of 107 FirstFirst ... 357581828384858687888995 ... LastLast