View Poll Results: Who's club banner is the best? (see below)

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • Eeveelover824

6 11.54%
  • colorless-winter

0 0%
  • Sworn Metalhead

23 44.23%
  • Azulart

6 11.54%
  • Callie-Rose

1 1.92%
  • extroph

15 28.85%
  • Kutie Pie

1 1.92%
Page 91 of 107 FirstFirst ... 4181878889909192939495101 ... LastLast
Results 2,251 to 2,275 of 2651

Thread: The Artist's Corner

Quote Originally Posted by pupintheturd View Post
    i think these are a lot more interesting than random blue watercolour strokes (i am being blunt, i know. but i hope i can get you to agree with that statement).
    I don't know if you know but the first painting is based off Cocoon from Final Fantasy XIII, so it's not entirely random, there's method to the madness =p

i don't think you should fret over details like symmetry or perfectly straight lines. it's fine to show the way you draw, it might actually add a lot, if you give it a chance. if you're worried about symmetry, maybe do a pencil sketch first and make sure you have everything the way you want it before you start to paint.
    I do preliminary pencil sketches for all my paintings, often obsessively. It was only when I started painting that things started to go badly wrong and all my work measuring and ruling was for naught in the end. But really I can't help fretting over stuff like this, I'm a perfectionist to a fault and it re-heeealy bothers me when things don't go according to plan, especially when straight lines are involved.

also, random watercolour tips, regardless of wether you know them or not; it's better to have your brush be too wet than too dry. since you can just dap out the watercolour with toilet paper if you mess up. which isn't possible if the paint is already dry. also, wait for the paint to dry before you go over it with another colour.
    Mm hmm, I am already aware of these - but the dabbing of the paint in the event of a mistake is often a fruitless gesture because often you need much more paint than water on your brush for the sake of colour intensity. Therefore, because there's so much paint if you stuff up then the mark is often permanent and there's not really much you can do about it, no matter how quick you are with the tissues.

for the ecruteak one. the surrounding black parts might actually help the image. for example, what happens if you cut off the image on the right on the middle of the beam? you know? that kind of voyeuristic way of looking at it might actually be interesting.
    I'm not quite understanding what you mean here - do you mean crop the painting so that the main beam on the right is only half-shown?

sorry if my critique is too harsh (or not harsh enough...?). not trying to insult, just trying to give good criticism. if you don't like it, i can stop.

regardless, i hope i helped and i wish you good luck. bye.
    No problem, I've received much, much harsher criticism in the past and even then I find that any criticism, positive or negative is helpful. Don't stop giving criticism by any means! I myself live off criticism, as does pretty much every other artist I know. Thanks for your comments, it's appreciated.
    [CYTUS]
    ICE - L
    eyemedia - Bloody Purity
    xi - FREEDOM DiVE↓

Quote Originally Posted by Poetry View Post
    I do preliminary pencil sketches for all my paintings, often obsessively.

maybe you could try it out without a sketch layer, doing everything entirely with watercolour. going with the flow and your intuition a little more. just to try and see if you like it.

It was only when I started painting that things started to go badly wrong and all my work measuring and ruling was for naught in the end. But really I can't help fretting over stuff like this, I'm a perfectionist to a fault and it re-heeealy bothers me when things don't go according to plan, especially when straight lines are involved.

honestly, there's no such thing as wrong. as for straight lines, you could just get some painter's tape (or any tape, if you're confident and careful) and use that to get straight lines. or maybe you just need to take it extremely slow (or fast) when making those brush strokes. but again, i don't think there's anything wrong with letting your freehand show. for example, i think that if you exaggerated these differently sized portals they'd look mighty interesting. and they actually do look very interesting already.

Mm hmm, I am already aware of these -

i figured as much. ;]

but the dabbing of the paint in the event of a mistake is often a fruitless gesture because often you need much more paint than water on your brush for the sake of colour intensity. Therefore, because there's so much paint if you stuff up then the mark is often permanent and there's not really much you can do about it, no matter how quick you are with the tissues.

i wouldn't call it fruitless because it ussually does soften the colour by a lot. but i've found that what you say is sadly very true. :[

I'm not quite understanding what you mean here - do you mean crop the painting so that the main beam on the right is only half-shown?

yep. how do you feel about that? i am just talking about different choices you could make in composition to showcase the interesting bits. because the part after the beam isn't very relevant imo, wouldn't you agree? and i think that that kind of 'looking through a wood frame like a window' element might actually make it a stronger image. i find that really pinpointing and really singling out what the most interesting things are help me realize when i am making a choice and ultimately with making those choices.

I myself live off criticism, as does pretty much every other artist I know. Thanks for your comments, it's appreciated.

it's funny to me because giving criticism is actually a lot more for myself than it is for you, or anyone else. because when i give criticism and look critically at someone else's work it becomes easy to pinpoint what i don't like and what i think works. and just saying stuff out loud like that really helps me find stuff that i do wrong, but never consider while i'm drawing or when i'm reflecting upon my own work and it's just really helpful. i think i also just wanted to talk a bit about watercolour because i have been getting into it lately and i am starting to enjoy it. still uncontrollable as all heck... but fun.

do you maybe have any tips you could share?
    i think even if you don't really know the ins and outs (i don't) giving criticism is just a good thing. and if you can start pinpointing what you don't like about something or do like about something, and apply it in your own work, i think you're doing something very right because it's a lot harder than you'd initially think. and when you succeed, you can share that info. which is great.

it think it just comes down to not being afraid to give criticism because in the end we all benefit.

excuse me if you think i'm just talking bs, i'm just thinking out loud. :]

Spoiler:- Overlay:

Been using the Overlay technique a lot(as I've decided to call it). It's just black brushes on Soft Light and white brushes on Overlay. It's a lot of fun imo.

Really got into this sculpting stuff a few days ago. I'm a newbie to this ^w^

Spoiler:- More!:
    Friend Code
    4725-8753-8888

Quote Originally Posted by AnakBaé View Post
    Me too lol. Took me hours to render an image. I cut em manually with erasers -.-
    Red screen? You mean like this?

If yes then you can get that from adjusting the channels:

Yes yes yes!! I saw a video on Youtube that did that, but I didn't remember how, so thank you.

~Back from hiatus (let's see how long this will last)~

Playing around with style yet again, I think this one turned out pretty good, though it looks a little rough, I think I should have made the canvas larger :/

Spoiler:- :3:

.: 3DS FC: 0490-5034-9209 :.
    .: DeviantART :: Graphics Thread :: Art Thread :: Art Shop :.

Quote Originally Posted by Astral Shadow View Post
        Spoiler:- Overlay:

Been using the Overlay technique a lot(as I've decided to call it). It's just black brushes on Soft Light and white brushes on Overlay. It's a lot of fun imo.
    Those are awesome! The second and third ones could be slightly darker, but everything else is awesome. I like the subtle but crazy backgrounds.
    Here are some banners I've been trying that, imo, look awesome.

[SPOILER][/SPOILER]

And here's a larger one.

[SPOILER][/SPOILER]

I tried working on shading around text, and it looks pretty cool. Thoughts? Critique? Thanks!
    Last edited by Chapter; 11th November 2013 at 3:05 AM.

Claimed Majora's Mask/Skull Kid | 3DSFC - 4811.7177.1372.Liam | Art by me, TIL Userbar by Astral Shadow

Formerly: Chapter of Charizard

Quote Originally Posted by Chapter of Charizard View Post
    Those are awesome! The second and third ones could be slightly darker, but everything else is awesome. I like the subtle but crazy backgrounds.
    Here are some banners I've been trying that, imo, look awesome.
        Spoiler:

And here's a larger one.
        Spoiler:

I tried working on shading around text, and it looks pretty cool. Thoughts? Critique? Thanks!
    Very nice! still a bit simple imo, but nice shading could you try sing brushes and the like to make it a bit less basic?

and @Blood red absol
    THATS ADORABLE

Ive been doing a lot of experamenting with stuff on banners as well, like using the effects and textures,
    i really like one effect called 'cartoon' and 'oilify' is nice as well.
    New animated banner thing
        Spoiler:

the basic image on the left i have put through effects numerous times (cant remember the exact combo, but it was a lot of cartoon xD) and im starting to really like the effect.
    still having trouble with the border on the edge though :/

Agression, Destruction.
    Meowstic is officially mine!

Credit to SM

Quote Originally Posted by epicjirachifan View Post
    Very nice! still a bit simple imo, but nice shading could you try sing brushes and the like to make it a bit less basic?

and @Blood red absol
    THATS ADORABLE

Ive been doing a lot of experamenting with stuff on banners as well, like using the effects and textures,
    i really like one effect called 'cartoon' and 'oilify' is nice as well.
    New animated banner thing
        Spoiler:

the basic image on the left i have put through effects numerous times (cant remember the exact combo, but it was a lot of cartoon xD) and im starting to really like the effect.
    still having trouble with the border on the edge though :/
    That's really nice! And I had the same trouble with the edges of the banner. I can only think of either making the edge transparent, add a black border on all layers, or crop the animation.
    And what do you mean the sing brush?I started off by making a transparent layer of text right beneath where I'd put the words, added to it with brush, and then added the real text.

Claimed Majora's Mask/Skull Kid | 3DSFC - 4811.7177.1372.Liam | Art by me, TIL Userbar by Astral Shadow

xxxxxxxx
    I think what happened is that you moved the border a little on one of the frames. Make sure everything lines up when going through the animation.
    x
    They mean "using brushes".

The effect on the text is nice, but I do agree that the banner itself is a little bland. Add some brushes or C4Ds/fractals. You can even use an abstract wallpaper as an effect, just use a layer effect like Addition or Overlay or whatever looks nice.

Or you could try doing hard stuff like me, making a banner with 1 wallpaper for the background, 1 render, and 1 brush (the watermark, it's not necessary though), and everything else made out of a whole buttload of effects. I don't think GIMP (if you use gimp) has all the effects PShop does, but some of them aren't half bad and if really gets to that point where you're stuck there's always Youtube tutorials.

And that sentence made absolutely no sense at all.

banner
    Such a happy little child...XD
    I would like to give you advice to help you fix it, except that I have absolutely no idea how to work with animated things. XP
    But other than that, I like it! I like the brush effects that look like a kid got hold of your banner. (The little scribbles are awesome, is what I'm trying to say here.)

~~~

Anyhow, after about twenty minutes of trying to cut the image, half an hour of brush searching (and another half hour while the pack of ~80 brushes was transferred to GIMP), and then about another hour of putting the thing together, I made this, and I think I *finally* got the cutting right.

Spoiler:

I used some of the "Overlay" effect on it, as Astral Shadow called it. And I agree with him that it's fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Keldminrachi91 View Post
    so much love for Amaterasu ♥♥♥
    Oh. My. Lord.
    AMATERASUUUUUUU

*clears throat* Now that I am done fangirling over Ammy,

I think the background doesn't fit too well (personal opinion)...I suggest a sakura tree or a floral scene, I could go into the deep meaning of that but you probably already know (well, if you played/watched a playthrough of Okami).

-Cutting:
    It's pretty well cut (isn't there a made render for that image?), though some edges are a tiny bit rough. I guess it wouldn't matter too much but when cutting, if you think the edges are still too rough just feather by one value higher (if 1 looks rough, try 2). It all depends on whether you think it's nice or not though.

I think the text needs a border or glow, and the entire thing a border, but I guess it could live without. With a border or glow for the text, you could make it a color that's more fitting (red, orange, yellow, etc), without it though you wouldn't be able to see it. The text color is sort of like the mirror, so eh.

But you definitely improved (ehhhhh...there's some bias in that because of Ammy but...I'd say you improved even if it wasn't).

Quote Originally Posted by Azure SolarFlyte™ View Post
    Ammy needs a fan club
    Background: It's floral... But I know what you mean by not quite fitting, I was really just experimenting with brushes (part of the reason this took me so long to make, lol), and I thought it looked nice. (plus, Google wasn't cooperating at the time, so I had to use an Ammy pic that was already on my computer). But I've watched about three different playthroughs of Okami (watched one twice), and two of Okamiden, AND both have been on my Wish List for awhile now, so no need for great detail explanations.

Cutting: I used what was already on my computer, not sure if it was a render or not (what exactly qualifies as a render?). Also, by rough, do you mean "pixely" or "could be cut slightly better"? I see instances of both that I probably should've fixed. :P

Stuff about borders and text: Yeah, I tried about 50 shades of orange/red/yellow before gave up, and I kind of like it (I actually sucked up color from the mirror on her back). As far as borders go, I'll probably experiment with those soon enough, maybe come back to this one and add one, IDK.

Tried complicating the banner a bit, but just used black as the BG rather than trying something with the C4D. Here it is.

[SPOILER]
    http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/460...0/707/y035.png[/SPOILER]

Looks terrible, either because of imageshack or because of Serebii, not sure which if not both, but when I was making it looked so good.

EDIT:

Why aren't my SPOILER tags working... :?

The banners all look so awesome, I should get back into making banners but I have forgotten how and they would probably suck x.x
    on another note, I did another chibi this morning, I was playing around with his tail heaps, I ended up going with something a little more simple, I think I could have done better, maybe on the shade or something, just to make them look a little more shiny/scaly

I've never been able to get SPOILER tags to work, but what works for me is [SPOIL][/SPOIL*].

As for the banner, it's pretty simple (though that's not necessarily a bad thing). Maybe add a border?

I made an Okami club, it died. Feel free to remake it. /offtopiclet'sgetbackontopic
    Oh yeah, while I was on vacation in some otherworldly country Google was really freaking slow. And sometimes it just came up as an error.

The flames on her back, some of the outlines are cut off. The problem with rendering Okami pictures is that the artstyle of the game is calligraphy, and the paint goes outside the lines, so it looks like a painting. When rendered it doesn't have the same beauty.

Render: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renderi...uter_graphics)
    But since Wikipedia is complicated, long, boring, and not...a very good source...
    I think a render is just an extracted image.
    So like:
    From this to this.

While looking for them on Google, you can either search for "[insert name of whatever here] render" or you can just type the character (or whatever you're looking for), then go to Search Tools, Color, Transparent.
    If you're doing it the first way, click on the image you want and when the black box comes up wait for Google to fully load it rather than immediately clicking Full Image. If the white background becomes sort of a checker pattern, then it's transparent. If it stays white, it's probably not.
    SPOILER tags need a name.
    [spoiler=INSERT SOME TEXT HERE][/spoiler*]

Try using an abstract wallpaper as the background, or a wallpaper of Link.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blood Red Absol View Post
    The banners all look so awesome, I should get back into making banners but I have forgotten how and they would probably suck x.x
    Ahh, the beauty of YouTube tutorials.
    Whoever has the time and patience to make those videos though...gods.

All these digital drawings are amazing, I wish I could be that awesome but...I'm poor so I have to draw with a mouse, and it's painful to draw with a mouse.

All these digital drawings are amazing, I wish I could be that awesome but...I'm poor so I have to draw with a mouse, and it's painful to draw with a mouse.
    Actually I only recently got a tablet, it was 150$ from the electronics store (it is a bamboo manga tablet)
    but before I got that I used to always draw with the mouse.

Here, this is my most popular drawings on DeviantArt

I actually drew this a bit before I got my tablet, what I did back then was a drew my pictures on paper, I don't even have a scanner so I would then take a picture of them with my web camera before tracing them onto Gimp as well as coloring and whatever, I actually didn't even have a mouse for this one, I was using a mouse pad.
    so I guess it is good to experenment and see what works for you... you don't really need the tablet but admittedly it helps, and I would be lying if I didn't say I loved mine xD

Words
    The Zerochan link is brokenish just saying.
    Actually I only recently got a tablet, it was 150$ from the electronics store (it is a bamboo manga tablet)
    but before I got that I used to always draw with the mouse.

Here, this is my most popular drawings on DeviantArt

I actually drew this a bit before I got my tablet, what I did back then was a drew my pictures on paper, I don't even have a scanner so I would then take a picture of them with my web camera before tracing them onto Gimp as well as coloring and whatever, I actually didn't even have a mouse for this one, I was using a mouse pad.
    so I guess it is good to experenment and see what works for you... you don't really need the tablet but admittedly it helps, and I would be lying if I didn't say I loved mine xD
    And it looks so good D:

Spoiler:- More stuff:

Some userbars and a few banners cause why not.

I wish I had the time to start a club, because I would definitely do that. But I made a club and it died. /offtopicdiscussionsarefun
    I was searching on Google for Okami renders, and I found one that keeps the calligraphy style. Sort-of.
    https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/i...rSavkl6zepxOA4

But I see what you mean about being hard to extract/render.

Render search: Oh, okay. Usually I search "subject" render, and then for the image I like, I C+P it into GIMP, and recolor the white to something not in the image (ex-purple for Ammy) and then do the grow-feather thing. XD

~
    I actually do do it that way (camera > trace), it's painful and takes a while but it works, I guess/
    Quote Originally Posted by Astral Shadow View Post
    ~~
    Oh.
    Well it's the same wallpaper as on my tumblr, but just imagine the render standing in a field thing. That's basically all it is.
    :
    There's a function in Gimp to get it without saving it or copy and pasting (generally, C/P isn't a good thing):
    File > Open Location (or something like that).
    In google when the box comes up click full image, copy the url of that image, and paste it in the box. It'll open it in a new canvas, but just drag the layer over to the canvas you're currently working on (in the layers box, drag "Layer 1" or background or whatever into the canvas of the other box).
    I wish PShop had a feature like that, it's a pain to save images because my computer think's it's funny to freeze every time I click "Save As...".

There's a function in Gimp to get it without saving it or copy and pasting (generally, C/P isn't a good thing):
    File > Open Location (or something like that).
    In google when the box comes up click full image, copy the url of that image, and paste it in the box. It'll open it in a new canvas, but just drag the layer over to the canvas you're currently working on (in the layers box, drag "Layer 1" or background or whatever into the canvas of the other box).
    I wish PShop had a feature like that, it's a pain to save images because my computer think's it's funny to freeze every time I click "Save As...".
    I noticed whenever I do that the image's resolution is lost in some odd way. For example, it's not as high quality. It words for small things but not bigger ones *coughxatbackgroundcough*
    But for regular banners its pretty good.

Also that GIMP update, ish awesome. But takes forever to load O_o

New art <.>
    http://frozenconstellation.deviantar...aura-412598307

Amaura ish so cute X3 only problew I haz is that back foot looks odd.

I actually do do it that way (camera > trace), it's painful and takes a while but it works, I guess/
    Lol, that is cool ^-^

Quote Originally Posted by FrozenConstellation View Post
    New art <.>
    http://frozenconstellation.deviantar...aura-412598307

Amaura ish so cute X3 only problew I haz is that back foot looks odd.
    That looks so awesome, I love your style, my lines always look so bulky and bad (probably because I am lazy xD)
    Speaking of which, I did another chibi this morning, I am a little more happy with her then I was with Keon
        Spoiler:- =3:

Which banner do you like best?

Spoiler:- LOZ Banners:

Thanks!

@FrozenConstellation

That's awesome! Looks just lika Amaura and it looks like the official works too! I love that.

herpaderp
    I think the first is the best. The others just seem to be missing something...I think the backgrounds are a little too simple. Although I think Toon Link is cute.
    Last edited by Keldminrachi91; 16th November 2013 at 6:39 AM.

Page 91 of 107 FirstFirst ... 4181878889909192939495101 ... LastLast