Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 117

Thread: Cartoons that are way more popular than you think they should be

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    6,066

    Default Cartoons that are way more popular than you think they should be

    Have you ever seen or heard of a cartoon that people love and it has such a huge fanbase and a lot of people watch it but when you watched the exact same show, you couldn't get into and don't understand why it is as popular as it is? You can choose any cartoon you want. It could be one that's airing now or one that has been off the air for years. You don't have to think said cartoon is terrible but I want you to choose a cartoon that has so many fans and you can't understand why.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    dere in the sheets
    Posts
    9,116

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    England
    Posts
    507

    Default

    Gravity Falls is so overrated, lol.

  4. #4

    Default

    Family Guy.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    6,080

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pokemaniac24 View Post
    Have you ever seen or heard of a cartoon that people love and it has such a huge fanbase and a lot of people watch it but when you watched the exact same show, you couldn't get into and don't understand why it is as popular as it is? You can choose any cartoon you want. It could be one that's airing now or one that has been off the air for years. You don't have to think said cartoon is terrible but I want you to choose a cartoon that has so many fans and you can't understand why.
    Reminded me of a thread I started a few months ago. With that thread in mind, read the bottom line of my signature.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jb View Post
    inb4mlp
    Right...also, stop stealing other people's lines (you know who I'm talking about, I just forgot their name).

    Quote Originally Posted by Jb View Post
    Spongebob.
    That's just with the little kids, it's an okay show for them and the only reason why so many older youths talk about it because it started during their childhood when the material was solid with a wide audience taken into consideration. In all honesty though, I can see its popularity with the little ones but no longer the older ones.
        Spoiler:- 3DS friend-code:

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Cyberspace
    Posts
    1,057

    Default

    The Regular Show...
    Under Construction

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Cyberspace
    Posts
    1,057

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Squeegie View Post
    Family Guy.
    Family Guy was good... up until 2006.
    Under Construction

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BNator92 View Post
    Family Guy was good... up until 2006.
    Never really cared for it.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    California, USA
    Posts
    14,745

    Default

    Regular Show and Adventure Time -_-.
    Proud claimer of Cyndaquil and Ezio Auditore from Assassin's Creed !!
    Also proud claimer of Assassin's Creed 2 the game!!
    Just became the proud claimer of the Marvel's Agent's of S.H.I.E.L.D. TV show ^_^!!!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Tyler, Tx
    Posts
    669

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 1rkhachatryan View Post
    Regular Show and Adventure Time -_-.
    Those shows are decent.

    That new scooby doo show that takes away from the original show.

  11. #11

    Default

    Oh, and Invader Zim. It didn't SUCK, but I never understood why it was so popular.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    6,080

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BNator92 View Post
    Family Guy was good... up until 2006.
    It was never good. MacFarlane's humour was repetitive and bland to begin with. Still can't believe he has produced multiple works which are still going on. Speaking of Family Guy, the Simpsons need to bite the dust, it's not funny anymore either. Groening's other work, Futurama, while still holding up with its newer episodes is also getting worse. Seriously Fox, make them kick the bucket. That said, I don't hear much from their fans.
        Spoiler:- 3DS friend-code:

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    71

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Squeegie View Post
    Oh, and Invader Zim. It didn't SUCK, but I never understood why it was so popular.
    But GIR is so randumz AND i got a GIR shirt at HOTTOPIC LMAOO!! xDDD

    (Really, I never did either. I always assumed it was all the Invader Zim merchandise that Hot Topic shat out. I also do not own a GIR shirt)

    Right...also, stop stealing other people's lines (you know who I'm talking about, I just forgot their name).
    Yo.

    oh it's a love/hate romance. 'cause i could watch her dance, if i've got my boots.
    credit to Ruby Moon

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Cyberspace
    Posts
    1,057

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ParaChomp View Post
    It was never good. MacFarlane's humour was repetitive and bland to begin with. Still can't believe he has produced multiple works which are still going on. Speaking of Family Guy, the Simpsons need to bite the dust, it's not funny anymore either. Groening's other work, Futurama, while still holding up with its newer episodes is also getting worse. Seriously Fox, make them kick the bucket. That said, I don't hear much from their fans.
    McFarlane was at least a little more creative in the early days of FG. I agree that his others works (like American Dad) just plain suck. Funny how they keep all these poor, unfunny programs on the air, yet, a show that was still fun and entertaining to watch like King of the Hill was taken off the air. I'm not even sure where that show stands as of now, 'cause it seems like they keep putting it off and on.
    Under Construction

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    71

    Default

    King of the Hill had its final run a long time ago. And Luanne's voice actress Brittany Murphy died shortly after.

    oh it's a love/hate romance. 'cause i could watch her dance, if i've got my boots.
    credit to Ruby Moon

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    61

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Acetylix View Post
    Gravity Falls is so overrated, lol.
    I will respectfully disagree.

    I offer up Regular Show, though it's been said before. Sure, it's decent, but not fantastic, IMO.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Cyberspace
    Posts
    1,057

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sweetie View Post
    King of the Hill had its final run a long time ago. And Luanne's voice actress Brittany Murphy died shortly after.
    If you consider two years a long time.
    Kind of forgot about the voice actress part...
    Under Construction

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    6,080

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sweetie View Post
    King of the Hill had its final run a long time ago. And Luanne's voice actress Brittany Murphy died shortly after.
    How ironic. Oh well, King of the Hill had a good run and Beavis and Butthead are being brought back and there's always reruns.

    Quote Originally Posted by Squeegie View Post
    Oh, and Invader Zim. It didn't SUCK, but I never understood why it was so popular.
    Really? It was so good. Am I the only one here who doesn't know about this stuff? Guess it's because I'm more into Japanese media and oh boy, do I have a massive list of their cartoons.
        Spoiler:- 3DS friend-code:

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Grannvale
    Posts
    353

    Default

    definitely Adventure time, and Gravity Falls. i'm not saying they are bad shows, just..overrated.
    sorry if anyone doesn't agree with this, buts its my opinion.
    † I am a Christian, and not ashamed to admit it! Copy and paste this if you are too.†

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    2,281

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sweetie View Post
    King of the Hill had its final run a long time ago. And Luanne's voice actress Brittany Murphy died shortly after.
    They supposedly ended king of the hill to make room for the Cleveland show.
    3DS Friendcode: 5198-2496-8383

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    6,080

    Default

    Bar the first reply, nobody else mentioned ponies yet? Heck, I just watched every episode (yes, I was walked in on) and typed up my opinion on it.
        Spoiler:- 3DS friend-code:

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Nimbasa City
    Posts
    128

    Default

    My little pony is definitely more popular than it should be.
    the annoying orange and johny test aswell...
    I honestly don't see how the last two are still on TV...

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Stuck in my head
    Posts
    149

    Default

    I really haven't watched any of the newer popular shows on Nick, CN, or Disney, but I have to say any cartoon where the main characters are much much dumber than a box of rocks. It's not funny, (at least not much to me) and what the heck does that teach kids? Give us one stupid character, not the whole cast.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    6,080

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ohitsdylan View Post
    My little pony is definitely more popular than it should be.
    the annoying orange and johny test aswell...
    I honestly don't see how the last two are still on TV...
    Little kids, they love dumb humour, they'll eat it up, I can understand while they're still on television. At least Friendship is Magic does some good by having mostly dumb humour but the odd slice of some pretty good humour that can be seen in Faust's other works giving the kids better tastes at a younger age. That said, I don't get the majority of My Little Pony fan-base as there's not enough delicious humour in the show.

    Speaking of which, I've been looking at all of this from an adult/teenager perspective and not a kids' perspective. Which perspective should we use to view these shows?
        Spoiler:- 3DS friend-code:

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    6,066

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ParaChomp View Post
    Little kids, they love dumb humour, they'll eat it up, I can understand while they're still on television. At least Friendship is Magic does some good by having mostly dumb humour but the odd slice of some pretty good humour that can be seen in Faust's other works giving the kids better tastes at a younger age. That said, I don't get the majority of My Little Pony fan-base as there's not enough delicious humour in the show.

    Speaking of which, I've been looking at all of this from an adult/teenager perspective and not a kids' perspective. Which perspective should we use to view these shows?
    I would say look at it depends on the show and the kind of fanbase they have. For example, if it's a show that is obviously meant for kids and only kids, then look at it from a kids' perspective and see whether or not it's a good show for kids to be watching or a show you think you would like as a kid. However if it is a show meant for kids and adults or only adults, then I would say look at it from an adult perspective and judge whether or not the show is doing a good job of appealing to adults or both adults and children.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •