Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Cartoons that are way more popular than you think they should be

Default Cartoons that are way more popular than you think they should be

Have you ever seen or heard of a cartoon that people love and it has such a huge fanbase and a lot of people watch it but when you watched the exact same show, you couldn't get into and don't understand why it is as popular as it is? You can choose any cartoon you want. It could be one that's airing now or one that has been off the air for years. You don't have to think said cartoon is terrible but I want you to choose a cartoon that has so many fans and you can't understand why.

Gravity Falls is so overrated, lol.

Family Guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Pokemaniac24 View Post
    Have you ever seen or heard of a cartoon that people love and it has such a huge fanbase and a lot of people watch it but when you watched the exact same show, you couldn't get into and don't understand why it is as popular as it is? You can choose any cartoon you want. It could be one that's airing now or one that has been off the air for years. You don't have to think said cartoon is terrible but I want you to choose a cartoon that has so many fans and you can't understand why.
    Reminded me of a thread I started a few months ago. With that thread in mind, read the bottom line of my signature.

Quote Originally Posted by Jb View Post
    inb4mlp
    Right...also, stop stealing other people's lines (you know who I'm talking about, I just forgot their name).

Quote Originally Posted by Jb View Post
    Spongebob.
    That's just with the little kids, it's an okay show for them and the only reason why so many older youths talk about it because it started during their childhood when the material was solid with a wide audience taken into consideration. In all honesty though, I can see its popularity with the little ones but no longer the older ones.
        Spoiler:- 3DS friend-code:

The Regular Show...
    Under Construction

Quote Originally Posted by Squeegie View Post
    Family Guy.
    Family Guy was good... up until 2006.
    Under Construction

Quote Originally Posted by BNator92 View Post
    Never really cared for it.

Regular Show and Adventure Time -_-.
    Proud claimer of Cyndaquil and Ezio Auditore from Assassin's Creed !!
    Also proud claimer of Assassin's Creed 2 the game!!
    Just became the proud claimer of the Marvel's Agent's of S.H.I.E.L.D. TV show ^_^!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 1rkhachatryan View Post
    Regular Show and Adventure Time -_-.
    Those shows are decent.

That new scooby doo show that takes away from the original show.

Oh, and Invader Zim. It didn't SUCK, but I never understood why it was so popular.

Quote Originally Posted by BNator92 View Post
    It was never good. MacFarlane's humour was repetitive and bland to begin with. Still can't believe he has produced multiple works which are still going on. Speaking of Family Guy, the Simpsons need to bite the dust, it's not funny anymore either. Groening's other work, Futurama, while still holding up with its newer episodes is also getting worse. Seriously Fox, make them kick the bucket. That said, I don't hear much from their fans.

Oh, and Invader Zim. It didn't SUCK, but I never understood why it was so popular.
    But GIR is so randumz AND i got a GIR shirt at HOTTOPIC LMAOO!! xDDD

(Really, I never did either. I always assumed it was all the Invader Zim merchandise that Hot Topic shat out. I also do not own a GIR shirt)

Right...also, stop stealing other people's lines (you know who I'm talking about, I just forgot their name).
    Yo.

oh it's a love/hate romance. 'cause i could watch her dance, if i've got my boots.
    credit to Ruby Moon

Quote Originally Posted by ParaChomp View Post
    It was never good. MacFarlane's humour was repetitive and bland to begin with. Still can't believe he has produced multiple works which are still going on. Speaking of Family Guy, the Simpsons need to bite the dust, it's not funny anymore either. Groening's other work, Futurama, while still holding up with its newer episodes is also getting worse. Seriously Fox, make them kick the bucket. That said, I don't hear much from their fans.
    McFarlane was at least a little more creative in the early days of FG. I agree that his others works (like American Dad) just plain suck. Funny how they keep all these poor, unfunny programs on the air, yet, a show that was still fun and entertaining to watch like King of the Hill was taken off the air. I'm not even sure where that show stands as of now, 'cause it seems like they keep putting it off and on.
    Under Construction

King of the Hill had its final run a long time ago. And Luanne's voice actress Brittany Murphy died shortly after.

oh it's a love/hate romance. 'cause i could watch her dance, if i've got my boots.
    credit to Ruby Moon

Quote Originally Posted by Acetylix View Post
    Gravity Falls is so overrated, lol.
    I will respectfully disagree.

I offer up Regular Show, though it's been said before. Sure, it's decent, but not fantastic, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetie View Post
    King of the Hill had its final run a long time ago. And Luanne's voice actress Brittany Murphy died shortly after.
    If you consider two years a long time.
    Kind of forgot about the voice actress part...
    Under Construction

How ironic. Oh well, King of the Hill had a good run and Beavis and Butthead are being brought back and there's always reruns.

Really? It was so good. Am I the only one here who doesn't know about this stuff? Guess it's because I'm more into Japanese media and oh boy, do I have a massive list of their cartoons.

definitely Adventure time, and Gravity Falls. i'm not saying they are bad shows, just..overrated.
    sorry if anyone doesn't agree with this, buts its my opinion.
    † I am a Christian, and not ashamed to admit it! Copy and paste this if you are too.†

They supposedly ended king of the hill to make room for the Cleveland show.
    3DS Friendcode: 5198-2496-8383

Bar the first reply, nobody else mentioned ponies yet? Heck, I just watched every episode (yes, I was walked in on) and typed up my opinion on it.

My little pony is definitely more popular than it should be.
    the annoying orange and johny test aswell...
    I honestly don't see how the last two are still on TV...

I really haven't watched any of the newer popular shows on Nick, CN, or Disney, but I have to say any cartoon where the main characters are much much dumber than a box of rocks. It's not funny, (at least not much to me) and what the heck does that teach kids? Give us one stupid character, not the whole cast.

Quote Originally Posted by Ohitsdylan View Post
    My little pony is definitely more popular than it should be.
    the annoying orange and johny test aswell...
    I honestly don't see how the last two are still on TV...
    Little kids, they love dumb humour, they'll eat it up, I can understand while they're still on television. At least Friendship is Magic does some good by having mostly dumb humour but the odd slice of some pretty good humour that can be seen in Faust's other works giving the kids better tastes at a younger age. That said, I don't get the majority of My Little Pony fan-base as there's not enough delicious humour in the show.

Speaking of which, I've been looking at all of this from an adult/teenager perspective and not a kids' perspective. Which perspective should we use to view these shows?

Quote Originally Posted by ParaChomp View Post
    Little kids, they love dumb humour, they'll eat it up, I can understand while they're still on television. At least Friendship is Magic does some good by having mostly dumb humour but the odd slice of some pretty good humour that can be seen in Faust's other works giving the kids better tastes at a younger age. That said, I don't get the majority of My Little Pony fan-base as there's not enough delicious humour in the show.

Speaking of which, I've been looking at all of this from an adult/teenager perspective and not a kids' perspective. Which perspective should we use to view these shows?
    I would say look at it depends on the show and the kind of fanbase they have. For example, if it's a show that is obviously meant for kids and only kids, then look at it from a kids' perspective and see whether or not it's a good show for kids to be watching or a show you think you would like as a kid. However if it is a show meant for kids and adults or only adults, then I would say look at it from an adult perspective and judge whether or not the show is doing a good job of appealing to adults or both adults and children.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast