Thread: Thank you, Captain Obvious

Default Thank you, Captain Obvious

Is it me or does some of the dialogue at times sound like Ash and co. are stating the friggin' obvious or they just repeat the last few words of what someone said out of confusion? Seriously, it's like the script writers just couldn't give less of a Raticate's ***, sub or dub.

You got that right! The Legend of Korra is returning on October 3rd! Mark your calendars!

Yeah but I think it's for the younger audience.

Ya they do this a lot. Probably because they like annoying us and it's meant for younger audiences.
    I'll put something here...eventually

Like this doesn't happen for all anime.

Quote Originally Posted by pokemonsquared View Post
    This summed it up XD
    [IMG]http://i45.*******.com/343spx0.jpg[/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by 00poke_maniac View Post
    Yeah but I think it's for the younger audience.
    I've seen other shows with better dialogue than on Pokemon. Quite frankly, that's just an excuse in this case since they can if they try but don't want to.

Quote Originally Posted by pokemonsquared View Post
    True but since this is a forum section about the Pokemon Anime, let's focus on that for now. Though I might post a similar thread in the Alternate Anime section if it get to it.

You got that right! The Legend of Korra is returning on October 3rd! Mark your calendars!

In b4 lock.

They likely do it out of the idea that no one has the attention span to pay attention to the sequence of events (they're normally expecting young children to watch). If they believe that the target audience isn't going to pay that much attention to the story, then why bother to attempt to make a unique, high-quality, yet complicated story in the first place?

Quote Originally Posted by matt0044 View Post
    repeat the last few words of what someone said out of confusion? .
    You do know this happens all the time in real life too,right?
    Quote Originally Posted by PokeMaster366 View Post
    In b4 lock.

They likely do it out of the idea that no one has the attention span to pay attention to the sequence of events (they're normally expecting young children to watch). If they believe that the target audience isn't going to pay that much attention to the story, then why bother to attempt to make a unique, high-quality, yet complicated story in the first place?

@Born Better

You sound worried. Did I say something wrong, or was my remark about the writers' behavior so on the mark that you were struck too speechless to give a counterargument? I can't tell.

Quote Originally Posted by Born Better View Post
    You do know this happens all the time in real life too,right?
    Yes, but this is sorta from a storytelling perspective and how certain things can get a wee bit annoying.

I found that was just a quirk of anime scripts in general. They just want to make sure that the audience completely understands why physics are being defied in that very moment.

As far as the Pokemon Anime goes ... it seems that the average human observer doesn't really know much about Pokemon at all except they're cute, cuddly, and occasionally have the power to destroy the planet on a whim. It seems that a very small amount of the population consists of actual professional Pokemon Trainers like Ash and friends. Most people seem to keep just one or two Pokemon as a pet.

PokeMaster is right in the sense that they do it because they think the target audience isn't going to pay enough attention, but that really is no exuse.

First off, the anime art form tells its story not just through dialouge, but through its images as well. If you're not confident enough in the art work that you think you have to state the obvious all the time, maybe you're not using the right media form.

Second, this notion of anime characters stating the obvious all the time may be common, but it's not the standard. Just look at shows like Wolf's Rain or Spice and Wolf; they certainly don't do that.

And finally, there are tons of "kid" shows that respect the fact that kids watching are doing so to watch by not having repetitive dialouge. (ex. MLP: FiM). Pokemon has just been around for so long that when kids tune in, they know the type of things that will happen, and thus don't pay much attention. It's not the fact that it's a "kid" show that causes this annoying phenomena.
    † I am a Christian and proud of it! Copy and paste this if you are too.†
    I support and believe in pearlshipping
    Oh yeah, and I like Darth Vader too.

Herein lies a great story of love, friendship, betryal,........and generally all the other good stuff a story needs :http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthr...ul-A-Pearlship

Current team in lvl. 100 training-

This has been going on since the 90s. Seriously, it took 3 different characters to explain things you only need 1 character for.
    Pokemon: The Theme of Secrets

At long last, I am returning with my Fan-Fic. Just need to find a better host. Blogger has done its course but I need just a little more recognition.

I freaking HATE "Mega" Evolution.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerda Foks View Post
    And finally, there are tons of "kid" shows that respect the fact that kids watching are doing so to watch by not having repetitive dialouge. (ex. MLP: FiM). Pokemon has just been around for so long that when kids tune in, they know the type of things that will happen, and thus don't pay much attention. It's not the fact that it's a "kid" show that causes this annoying phenomena.
    Try Gundam that had toy model kit for kids and an Anime that actually gave a damn about storytelling and explored the hardships of war (well, the UC most of all but that's just me). The Pokemon Anime doesn't have to be "deep" or "groundbreaking" but the whole "it's for kids" is nothing but an excuse to put in little effort when it comes to storytelling especially with shows that prove it otherwise.

yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes

I find that it makes the anime quite unbearable to watch. It slows down the pace and leads to painfully predictable moments. My younger brother has even noticed it. It's like the anime's treating its viewers as idiots.

inb4 "they are"

It actual is for the kids though.

Quote Originally Posted by MattySadler View Post
    Thank you, Captain Obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by MattySadler View Post
    It's for the kids though?