Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast

Thread: Beauties Battling for Pride and Prestige! (759)

Quote Originally Posted by Shneak View Post
    Jason Griffith is my favourite current voice actor in the anime. I think Cilan's voice in Japan is too feminine but Griffith has the perfect cross of masculinity and eccentricity.
    Jason's my favorite English dub VA in the entire TPCi dub (who has been used for a main character) so far. I enjoy his performance as Cilan.

Quote Originally Posted by SlimeStack View Post
    Just got around to watching the dubbed version.

This episode was honestly great. No gimmicky Pokémon of the day story, and no cheesy morals to be taught. Just Ash and friends meeting new people and entertaining us with their encounter.
    Only complaint was Lisa Ortiz, just like back in 4Kids. Can they stop overusing her? Seriously. xD.

Quote Originally Posted by Pokemaniac24 View Post
    You mean the Erika gym right?
    Yeah, Erika. XD.

I always get their names confused since the proximity of their gyms was somewhat close. If it were Sabrina, she'd have used Psychic attack and made them all into dolls.
    Last edited by PokemonNation2000; 3rd February 2013 at 7:49 PM.
    Opinions Regarding the Pokémon:
    1. Anime: OS > AG > BW > DP > XY
    2. Movies: OS = AG > DP = BW = XY
    3. English Dub: 4Kids Entertainment/TAJ Productions (EP001-EP276; AG001-AG020) = 4Kids Entertainment (AG021-AG145) = TPCi/SDI Media (The Origin)/Very Good > TPCi/DuArt Film & Video (BW)/Poor > PUSA/TPCi/TAJ Productions (AG146-AG192)/Very Poor > TPCi/DuArt Film & Video (XY) = PUSA/TPCi/TAJ Productions/DuArt Film & Video (DP)/Atrocious
    4. Games: XY > BW1 > BW2 > RSE > GSC > Y > HGSS > DP > RBG
    5. Pokémon: The Origin: Excellent: 93/100.
    6. Manga: RS > RB > Y > FRLG > XY > BW > E > DP > GSC
    "It's like with each new Generation, Dogasu becomes an even bigger idiot than he was the last Generation." - Kalos Adventurer

Not going to lie I really like this episode.. probably one of my favorite episodes of Best Wishes along with Dancing With The Ducklett Trio and Rocking The Virbank Gym.

Once this season is over, then TCPi would have dubbed the Pokemon anime just as long as 4Kids. 8-on-8. I wonder how people feel about that.

Seriously, did the show get a bump up in the quality of writing? I rewatched the episode during the Pokemon Bowl Battle thing, and the writing is pretty good. Hope this keeps up.
    Last edited by the1stpkmnfan; 4th February 2013 at 6:28 AM.

~I just wanna feel that rhythm~
    Twitter @TrainerTrevino

Quote Originally Posted by the1stpkmnfan View Post
    Once this season is over, then TCPi would have dubbed the Pokemon anime just as long as 4KidsTv. 8-on-8. I wonder how people feel about that.

Seriously, did the show get a bump up in the quality of writing? I rewatched the episode during the Pokemon Bowl Battle thing, and the writing is pretty good. Hope this keeps up.
    Well we have the league coming up after this, those are always a treat.

I actually could name quite a few BW episodes that had very good writing and had great quality. I really think the writers not having to rely on TRio every episode has really made them think outside of the box and it is certainly helping the show. Like I said, this reminded me of a Kanto episode.

Once this season is over, then TCPi would have dubbed the Pokemon anime just as long as 4KidsTv. 8-on-8. I wonder how people feel about that.
    Yeah. I personally feel a bit depressed by that. Pokemon was one of the few dubs (along with YGO and a few others) I feel 4Kids did right, and to me, better than TPCi has. I know TPCi's dub is going to go on longer than the 4Kids dub did, but those eight seasons are always going to be my favorite. You can't beat the classics when it comes to the Pokemon anime for me, I guess.

Though, it's funny...I'm strangely finally getting used to/happy with TPCi's dub after all this time.

I actually could name quite a few BW episodes that had very good writing and had great quality. I really think the writers not having to rely on TRio every episode has really made them think outside of the box and it is certainly helping the show. Like I said, this reminded me of a Kanto episode.
    I'm strangely feeling similarly, lately. I do like the BW series for some reason. Some of the eps agitate me, but I love others greatly. I have a "love-and-hate" relationship with this saga. In some ways, I feel like BW's reviving the series. In other ways, I feel like it's destroying it. XD.
    Last edited by PokemonNation2000; 4th February 2013 at 12:58 AM.
    3. English Dub: 4Kids Entertainment/TAJ Productions (EP001-EP276; AG001-AG020) = 4Kids Entertainment (AG021-AG145) = TPCi/SDI Media (The Origin)/Very Good > TPCi/DuArt Film & Video (BW)/Poor > PUSA/TPCi/TAJ Productions (AG146-AG192)/Very Poor > TPCi/DuArt Film & Video (XY) = PUSA/TPCi/TAJ Productions/DuArt Film & Video (DP)/Atrocious
    "It's like with each new Generation, Dogasu becomes an even bigger idiot than he was the last Generation." - Kalos Adventurer

I couldn't care less. I'm happy Pokémon is still airing.

I couldn't care less. I'm happy Pokémon is still airing.
    Good point. At least we still have a dub that's airing on TV (that's improved dramatically from...those dark, days of the BF).

I also hated the DP dub...voices were way too deep for Ash and Brock for my taste.

The BW dub is when I finally began liking TPCi's work.

I think the only voices I somewhat liked since the beginning of TPCi were TRio's. Zoppi has a damn good range and was the only one back then I felt sounded somewhat alike (along with Michele as Jessie).
    Last edited by PokemonNation2000; 4th February 2013 at 1:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwail8023 View Post

I'm strangely feeling similarly, lately. I do like the BW series for some reason. Some of the eps agitate me, but I love others greatly. I have a "love-and-hate" relationship with this saga. In some ways, I feel like BW's reviving the series. In other ways, I feel like it's destroying it. XD.
    I don't think BW is destroying Pokémon at all honestly. If people can accept this as somewhat of a reset for Ash then I think the series would be much more well received. A lot of the supposed flaws people find with this series aren't really holding it back from being an entertaining show. I know a lot of people are divided on what makes a good Pokémon episode or series and I really feel like a reason why this episode is so popular among many people is that they put entertainment first. They didn't worry about training, battles, development, rivals appearing, Ash getting a badge, etc. This was a fun episode primarily made to entertain us. And that's one of the reasons I love Kanto so much. The plots that they came up with were unique and they weren't repetitive like later series would become. So this episode being like Kanto is certainly a great thing for me.

They didn't worry about training, battles, development, rivals appearing, Ash getting a badge, etc. This was a fun episode primarily made to entertain us. And that's one of the reasons I love Kanto so much. The plots that they came up with were unique and they weren't repetitive like later series would become. So this episode being like Kanto is certainly a great thing for me.
    Exactly. It's like BW's brought that simplistic Kanto charm back and makes more...enjoyable episodes...in some ways. You know, more humble, and sticking to the roots of the series. The plots are definitely unique and fresh as well. This is also the time, as far as the dub goes, when I feel TPCi's VAs started to get their act together (I tried re-watching "Our Cup Runneth Over!" from DP-- I swear, I couldn't sit through two minutes of it). In fact, Season 14 was the first time in the English dub since Season 8...I could actually WATCH a dub episode and not have my ears aching from the voice acting. So, there's that as well. xD.
    Last edited by PokemonNation2000; 4th February 2013 at 1:09 AM.

I have to admit that I'm surprised by the rave reviews that this episode has gotten. I watched the re-run that aired after the 15th movie today, but I didn't find anything interesting about the episode. Oh sure we got to see Ash and Cilan cross-dress, but we've seen that before, so I wasn't interested. Given that that was the episode's main gimmick, the rest of the episode seemed boring by comparison. I suppose it was interesting seeing Iris command Snivy just to make those snobby girls look bad, but at the same time, I couldn't help but feel that the episode was a waste of time. It was all about making the characters of the day look bad, but I didn't care enough about them to actually enjoy their humiliation. I don't know. I just didn't think this filler was interesting. But hey, that's why they're called fillers right? I'll give this episode four kisses out of ten.

I don't think BW is destroying Pokémon at all honestly. If people can accept this as somewhat of a reset for Ash then I think the series would be much more well received.
    The BW backlash because of Ash being "reset" really doesn't showcase any flaw in BW, it showcases the flaw in keeping Ash as a protagonist for all these years. A ridiculous amount of fans seemed way too attached to Ash, making him a surrogate for themselves, and loved seeing him develop as a trainer throughout AG and DP even though his character was horribly flat, static, and two-dimensional. Next to nothing about his actual character has changed in BW, it's the same "I'm mentally dumb but I love all Pokemon and Pokemon battles, gotta battle and catch Pokemon and battle and win badges and battle and act all excited about everything like a typical kid hero in a Shonen series and BATTLE!" Yet his skills as a trainer have been set back, and so everyone is crying that his "character development" has been undone and that the whole show is ruined. My solution? Just get rid of Ash already.
    Last edited by AgentPierce; 4th February 2013 at 1:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AgentPierce View Post
    Just get rid of Ash already.
    But since that doesn't seem like it would happen, they could you know, try something new with him. I mean look at TR. They were here since the start but BW has made them feel fresh again. Honestly, Ash will stay on this show for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by AgentPierce View Post
    The BW backlash because of Ash being "reset" really doesn't showcase any flaw in BW[/B]
    Most people don't see it that way though. They loved Ash's progression as a trainer in AG and DP but now in BW he obviously isn't as competent. So what do they do? Blame BW.
    Last edited by Pokemaniac24; 4th February 2013 at 1:47 AM.

Ash is just dumber all of a sudden.

Just look at his "great" idea to defeat Elesa.

Tea time during war is serious business, you know.
    Wii U: AuraGuyChris
    Youtube Channel - Hyrule Warriors (Hard)

Special: Ace Attorney - All Breakdowns (+ PL & PW:AA)

Great episode. Cross-dressing again, that really brings back memories from Kanto. And as usual, Snivy was just pure brilliant, even under command of Iris. Glad to see Snivy and Emolga get some wins and Iris getting revenge against the three women. Great showing. I love how Snivy really meant business!

So this episode is a great example of just everything that is wrong with the BW anime. So Iris finally get's an episode and they make it a revenge episode, cause Iris is your typical a petty & jealous girl troupe, She goes around calling other people kids and yet as demonstrated in this episode she's willing to do whatever it takes to get petty revenge on Moira and her friends, even if that means dragging Ash and Cilan along and having them crossdress. Unfortunately the writers will keep having Iris say her trade mark linewith out ever bringing up this episode and shutting her up. This episode is just as pointless and badly written as the first time Ash crossdressed. I will give kudos to the animator's for making Ash & Iris look cute in their dresses.
    My Grandmother always said...
    "She who walks the path of heaven will rule over everything"

Mana (4914-3452-1470) (X)
    Gyarados, Octillary, and Azumarill

Once this season is over, then TCPi would have dubbed the Pokemon anime just as long as 4Kids. 8-on-8. I wonder how people feel about that.

Honestly I find it hard to believe. Also, it's pretty depressing (at least to me)

Quote Originally Posted by Battra View Post
    So this episode is a great example of just everything that is wrong with the BW anime. So Iris finally get's an episode and they make it a revenge episode, cause Iris is your typical a petty & jealous girl troupe, She goes around calling other people kids and yet as demonstrated in this episode she's willing to do whatever it takes to get petty revenge on Moira and her friends, even if that means dragging Ash and Cilan along and having them crossdress. Unfortunately the writers will keep having Iris say her trade mark linewith out ever bringing up this episode and shutting her up. This episode is just as pointless and badly written as the first time Ash crossdressed. I will give kudos to the animator's for making Ash & Iris look cute in their dresses.
    Iris's kid comments are nothing a joke and gag.

So, Iris dragging them into a crossdressing competition against antagonistic girls is a demonic sin? Okay, good to know.

I don't think BW is destroying Pokémon at all honestly. If people can accept this as somewhat of a reset for Ash then I think the series would be much more well received. A lot of the supposed flaws people find with this series aren't really holding it back from being an entertaining show. I know a lot of people are divided on what makes a good Pokémon episode or series and I really feel like a reason why this episode is so popular among many people is that they put entertainment first. They didn't worry about training, battles, development, rivals appearing, Ash getting a badge, etc. This was a fun episode primarily made to entertain us. And that's one of the reasons I love Kanto so much. The plots that they came up with were unique and they weren't repetitive like later series would become. So this episode being like Kanto is certainly a great thing for me.
    The thing is I was rewatching a few of the BW gym battles and [people say he has no skills but he does in his battles with Skyla,Clay,Brycen and Roxie. I feel like the whole reset thing lasted from BW 1 to maybe before Lenora

Quote Originally Posted by Battra View Post
    I have to agree about Iris. I was disappointed by her behavior in this episode. It's just that things were finally getting to the point where people stopped complaining about her constant teasing and such, and then the writers made her out to be vengeful, which I really disliked. And like I said before, I didn't care enough about those snobby girls to really enjoy Iris's revenge, so the whole thing seemed like a waste of time.

I will say this though: I loved Cilan's high-pitched voice. It was actually funny, unlike Ash's voice which sounded almost the same as his normal voice. Way to get into character, Miss Natochenny.

Quote Originally Posted by Kokatsu View Post
    The thing is I was rewatching a few of the BW gym battles and [people say he has no skills but he does in his battles with Skyla,Clay,Brycen and Roxie. I feel like the whole reset thing lasted from BW 1 to maybe before Lenora
    He's not bad at all in BW. The Elesa thing was more of the case of Ash being overconfident but he still did well in that battle. And with Roxie, I didn't see Ash using 6 Pokémon to beat her as Ash being weak. I saw it as Roxie being really strong. He also made it far in every BW tournament.

Quote Originally Posted by Ciccone View Post
    I have to agree about Iris. I was disappointed by her behavior in this episode. It's just that things were finally getting to the point where people stopped complaining about her constant teasing and such, and then the writers made her out to be vengeful, which I really disliked. And like I said before, I didn't care enough about those snobby girls to really enjoy Iris's revenge, so the whole thing seemed like a waste of time.

I will say this though: I loved Cilan's high-pitched voice. It was actually funny, unlike Ash's voice which sounded almost the same as his normal voice. Way to get into character, Miss Natochenny.
    Iris being vengeful was supposed to be played for comedy and you know what, I found it funny.

I love Iris in this episode and the Dub did a good job

Iris being vengeful was supposed to be played for comedy and you know what, I found it funny.
    Exactly, but I'm not gonna waste my breath if they can't see that. I fail to see how Iris was the catty, vindictive person in all of this. But eh I digress.

(credit goes to Skiyomi)

Well I'm sorry, but I didn't think it was funny. Her attitude was scandalous and there were times when she was no better than the girls she despised. I spend so much time defending Iris, but this episode made all of that pointless since some people still believe that she's a hypocrite for acting like a kid when she teases Ash about that all the time. I don't even count this as a development episode for her because the opposite occurred; she took a huge leap back and it really sucks in my opinion. Iris deserved better.

Quote Originally Posted by Ciccone View Post
    Well I'm sorry, but I didn't think it was funny. Her attitude was scandalous and there were times when she was no better than the girls she despised. I spend so much time defending Iris, but this episode made all of that pointless since some people still believe that she's a hypocrite for acting like a kid when she teases Ash about that all the time. I don't even count this as a development episode for her because the opposite occurred; she took a huge leap back and it really sucks in my opinion. Iris deserved better.
    Difference of opinion, your idea of humor won't always be the same as others. The whole idea was to beat them at their own game, but Iris hardly seemed despicable like them. Sure she was very motivated, but that's always been her character. So yeah, not a step back for Iris to me, just another entertaining episode.

(credit goes to Skiyomi)

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast