Thread: Looming Threats

Default Looming Threats

[CENTER]
    For this RMT, I typed it as I made the team. I did not type at the end of the team besides this first paragraph. I wanted to record exactly what I was thinking when I made the team. This will help you guys get a better hold on what I am thinking.

I realized that my teams have not been doing as well as usual. I finally decided to pick up the slack and make a good team. I started out with basing the team around Skarmory.

I know what the usual next Pokémon would be. Chansey. Maybe even Blissey. I wanted to do something else though. I thought of Skarmory’s weaknesses: Fire and Electric. I wanted a ground type to take the electric moves, but it also need to resist fire. After a long period of thinking, I chose Gastrodon. I think it will fit in better with Skarmory than Chansey. It covers Skarm’s weaknesses, while Skarmory 4x resists Gastrodon’s sole weakness to Grass. One is physically defensive and one is specially defensive. One attacks physically, one attacks specially. Gastrodon absorbs Thunder Waves and Skarmory takes Toxics like a boss. They work well.

Now with a solid defensive core, my team needs some more offensive presence. I decided to use Dugtrio, because I had recently thought of a set it could possibly use even better than the Focus Sash set which is destroyed by entry hazards. It can trap and kill Pokémon like Heatran and Magnezone who are both major Skarmory pests.

I now needed a better special attacker. Gastrodon is good, especially with a Storm Drain boost, but that’s too situational. I was getting too many ground types and no Pokémon on my team resists ice attacks. Starmie was my first thought, because it can even spin, but that would accentuate a grass weakness. I needed a Pokémon to take both Ice moves and Grass moves. I decided on Forretress. It has good bulk, can spin, and even set up hazards, however, another special attacker was still needed.

I now have two defensive steel types, but both are physically defensive and fire weak. Heatran was my next choice, for it’s powerful special moves, good defensives, and fire immunity, along with an additional ice resist, and a great grass resistance.

I wanted the last member of the team to simply be a great offensive Pokémon. I decided on a Choice Band Breloom set. It has the same base attack stat as Scizor, same ability, STAB on a base 40 priority move. It hits just as hard as Scizor does with Bullet Punch, but it’s other stats are better and it’s less predictable because of all the Poison Heal Brelooms running around. After some testing, I decided to change to Swords Dance Breloom.

After some testing, I realized that my Dugtrio sucks. It had a Liechi Berry and Endure, but I did not like it. After all, it can only get one hit in and the hit might have a 1.5 boost, but 2 chances to hit would hit even harder. After even more testing, I realized that I need a cleric. Dugtrio was probably doing the least, so it was out. I wanted to try something new, so I decided on Lanturn, who is a somewhat reliable Genesect check except for U-Turn and the rare Bug Buzz. It should also be noted that I changed Breloom’s item from Lefties to a Life Orb due to the amount of Pokémon who barely survive a Mach Punch.

By now, the team still is not getting me where I would like to be, but I cannot find many problems. So, I bring it to you guys. Please help.
    EDITS: Breloom and Heatran are my only true offesive presence and Terrakion is the one major problem for this team. It even 2HKOs Skarm with Close Combat. I added Nidoqueen over Breloom, who dies to fast, to take its blows and since it can use Toxic Spikes, Forretress is obsolete. The team is doing basically what it did before, except with only five Pokemon now. That gives me room for a fast sweeper. I wanted a ground resist and Virizion was the best choice.

I tested some more and Virizion's reliance on Stone Edge to do damage really is not worth it because Stone Edge just always misses when I am against some sort of slow Fire type(or at least slower than Virizion, like Arcanine) I still wanted a ground resist. I decided Landorus-T suits my needs.

The Team:

Skarmory (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Sturdy
    EVs: 252 HP / 228 Def / 28 Spd
    Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
    - Roost
    - Spikes
    - Whirlwind
    - Brave Bird
    The base of the team right here. I know most people base teams off of unique, destructive sweepers, but of course I am using a standard defensive Skarm. It really patches up synergy for the rest of the team and they patch up its fire and electric weaknesses, especially Gastrodon. It is a great defensive pivot, like it was before the Nidoqueen/Virizion addition, but because of the loss of Forretress, I gave it Spikes over Taunt. Defensive Pokemon give this team some problems now, but I can normally whittle them down with my own defensive tanks.

Gastrodon (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Storm Drain
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
    Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
    - Ice Beam
    - Scald
    - Toxic
    - Recover
    Provides the synergy with Skarmory and is this team’s bulky water. It is a good Pokémon to switch into Thundurus-T, given some prediction and Grass Knot awareness. Ice Beam is just an unexpected twist to set-up dragons like Salamence. They expect Toxic, Recover, Earth Power/EQ, and Scald. They normally are packing Lum Berries too. Their attempt to sweep is ended before it begins. I have never really found a ground move to be useful on Gastrodon except against really crazy foes like HP Grass Magnezone, who is non-existant.

Lanturn (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Volt Absorb
    EVs: 52 HP / 252 SAtk / 204 SDef
    Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
    - Scald
    - Volt Switch
    - Ice Beam
    - Heal Bell
    Lanturn is a much needed cleric for this team. Honestly, it tempted me so much to use Chansey, who could be a great special wall as well as use Aromatherapy. Lanturn provides momentum and some surprising offensive presence on the team. It can Volt Switch as well as Scald and Ice Beam on a well-predicted ground type.

Landorus-T (M) @ Lum Berry
    Trait: Intimidate
    EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Rock Polish
    - Earthquake
    - Stone Edge
    - Swords Dance
    A double dancing Landorus. It already has a huge attack stat, while Swords Dance boosts it more. Rock Polish fixes its lackluster speed and it get the average EdgeQuake. Intimidate helps setting up A LOT.

Heatran (M) @ Air Balloon
    Trait: Flash Fire
    EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
    - Stealth Rock
    - Fire Blast
    - Earth Power
    - Hidden Power [Grass]
    Trust me, I normally do not use Air Balloon. However, I did not want to be Choiced and it provides a better opportunity to switch in. I wanted a Special sweeper that could set up rocks. After I thought about that for a moment, I realized I described Heatran. Even Smogon says it’s one of the few sweepers that can fit Stealth Rock into its moveset.

Nidoqueen (F) @ Black Sludge
    Trait: Sheer Force
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def
    Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
    - Earth Power
    - Ice Beam
    - Flamethrower
    - Toxic Spikes
    The Terrakion counter. That is the best way to describe Nidoqueen. It's also the business woman who moved in on Forretress' Toxic Spiking territory and forced it out of the team. It hits reasonably hard with Sheer Force boosted attacks. It covered two major things that this team needed and now I have room for a powerful sweeper in Virizion, who can also take special hits well, though it is uninvested.
    Last edited by jeffdavid102; 29th September 2012 at 5:07 AM.

252 +6 Atk Choice Band Pure Power Victini (+Atk)Critical V-create vs 0 HP/0 -6 Def Dry Skin Paras (-Def) : 103470436.36% - 121729963.64% (Guaranteed OHKO)

You Don't Say? I had no idea that a Choice Band Adamant Victini with maximum attack EVs and IVs that was baton passed +6 in attack and Skill Swapped Pure Power OHKO's Hasty Dry Skin Lvl 1 Paras with no defense EVs or IVs and -6 in defense under sun with a critical hit V-Create.

Rock Tomb on Breloom seems a bit odd, but it does effectively hit DNite and the like for SE damage. However, Toxicroak still checks you, and a Dragon coming in after Breloom killed something, it will outspeed you and OHKO with a move of choice. To prevent this from happening, I recommend the use of Substute instead, which also suppresses Intimidate, and ignores the phazing effect of Dragon Tail and the extremely rare/never used Circle Throw.

The team itself looks very solid, but you lack moves to hit i.e. Ghosts or Psychics Super Effectively. I don't know if that causes any trouble for you, but if it does, you may like Gengar instead of Gastro, to deal with Dusclops etc., as well as being a spinblocker.

Synergy seems fine, but you don't have a really saveswitch-in to Fighting type attacks, which is dangerous, as beside a standard Dragon and Steel type on a team, lots of people use a Fighting type as 3rd standard type. Gengar fixes this, but you must predict right, so it won't come in on a Payback or something alike.

That's all I had to say, good luck with the team
    Challenge the P4L League here

The Netherlands:
    Eon Ticket distributed on December 6th:
    Quote Originally Posted by Serebii.net
    Groningen, Rotterdam, Maastricht, Breda, Amsterdam and Utrecht
    And then via StreetPass!

I have claimed the awesome Kingdra

are you crazy? lo + sub = dead breloom. only sheer force lando can pull that off, because he'll only take lo damage from HP ice.

speaking of hp ice, use it on heatran, or every dragon type says hi. and then kills you. try protect over ice beam on gastro. toxic stalling is great. it also excels in sandstorm stalling, although this team is weatherless. (at least at the time of this rate.)
    Sig edited due to exceeding height limit. Read the signature rules before editing your signature.

Uhhhh.....Breloom is not using Sub. And it does die rather quickly. It tends to take out the opponents biggest threat so the rest of the team can stall since this mostly a defensive team.

Heatran is not my dragon killer. In fact Gastro and Lanturn are surprise dragonkillers. Lum Salamence switches in to Lanturn all the time, expecting to set-up easily. Then it dies. Same for Gastro, since most people use Earth Power or Earthquake.

And for future rates, I would like to point out that one thing is really killing me. My team is slow. Like, everything outspeeds. Bulk does not always win. I need at least one fast sweeper, replacing Breloom most likely. I have been trying everything. Lucario, Infernape, Terrakion, Dragonite. I am also going to be testing Salamence soon. I am looking at the MoxieScarf set as a great late game sweeper when my opponents team is dead from poison, burns, and rocks cutting into their skin constantly. Not to mention surprisingly powerful attacks from sweepers. I am also thinking about adding Genesect, though this is unlikely with its horrible synergy as Forretress has the Bug/Steel covered. These are what I want most: A good, FAST physical sweeper who can safely switch into Terrakion. Choice Band Terrak gives my team problems, as it 2HKOs Skarm and Forretress. There is no safe switching for me. I might even forgo speed and go for a die-hard Terra counter in Nidoqueen or Golurk. The former can take some pressure off Forretress for Toxic Spiking and the latter can hit extremely hard if switched into Choiced Terrakion. It can sub and spam Focus Punch. Maybe I can revenge kill with Scarf Terrakion. The possibilities are endless.
    Last edited by jeffdavid102; 28th September 2012 at 4:21 AM.

252 +6 Atk Choice Band Pure Power Victini (+Atk)Critical V-create vs 0 HP/0 -6 Def Dry Skin Paras (-Def) : 103470436.36% - 121729963.64% (Guaranteed OHKO)

You Don't Say? I had no idea that a Choice Band Adamant Victini with maximum attack EVs and IVs that was baton passed +6 in attack and Skill Swapped Pure Power OHKO's Hasty Dry Skin Lvl 1 Paras with no defense EVs or IVs and -6 in defense under sun with a critical hit V-Create.

I love you so much for using Lanturn

As much as I hate to admit this, Lanturn is quite slow. So Volt Switch won't exactly be the best electric move for this friendly angelfish. So you might want to run Thunderbolt instead. Of course, you can run Discharge for paralysis or t-wave/toxic. Since its more effective to switch out, you can just switch into Skarmory since it quad resists grass and is immune to ground.

Also, you might want to run SR > Toxic Spikes. Because it is worth noting that there are a hell lotta steel types in OU. So you might want to run SR on Forretress and something else for Heatran.

Credits to Sworn Metalhead

ASB Squad

If you want wall breakers use something strong like hydreigon or haxorus or even genesect Synergywise Haxorus is the best one.. (I don't only reccomend him because he is my favorite)

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Oak
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and the amount of zubat in caves, and I'm not sure about the former.
    Shortcut to damage calculator

I decided to replace Breloom with Nidoqueen for my Terrakion counter. With it bringing Toxic Spikes to the table, Forretress became almost absolete, only being able to spin an lay spikes. So I got rid of it and replaced Taunt with Spikes on Skamory. Now, this team is achieving almost exactly what is has been, except with one less member. This gave me room for a sweeper. I was thinking about Double Dancing Terrakion at first, but that would give me a huge ground weakness, especially with Nidoqueen. Eventually, I decided on another of the quad: Virizion, who achieved the same synergy as Breloom. I will edit the post later, have to go now.

Well, even though i'm still new to the BW2 metagame, I can't help but notice

Roton-W totally wreaks up your team.

Nidoqueen Sits duck against it, while it can OHKO with a Hydro Pump. And with the Exception of Lanturn, it is capable of destroying your entire game setup by forcing you to switch/stall.

please forgive me if i'm wrong.

you could maybe try a StallSaur which Effectively fills up that gap.

or maybe you can try fitting a couple more Powerful grass moves somewhere.

As it is, with the sheer no. of steel types in the OU bracket, Poison Spikes loses it's edge.

Edit: Did a test run of your team. Great Annoy Set, but Landorus is pretty Hard to set up, Especially since it has set up both offense and speed, and there are many faster OHKO'ers out there and plus priority users see red with this on. SpeedHazed many a times, Perish Song'ed twice. so you might want to shift to a Speedier sweeper with a priority which synergizes well with your team. I recommend the Swords Dance Lucario Set I'm running. Easier to set up. You know which one. :-D. you reviewed it a while back. *grins*

Lucario @Life Orb
    Ability: Justified | Nature: Adamant (+Atk/-SpA)
    EV Spread: 252 Atk / 4 HP/ 252 Spe

-Swords Dance
    -Close Combat
    -Ice Punch
    -Extremespeed

Leaves you vulnerable to Jellicent and Gengar, otherwise you don't have any worries. You can switch out ice punch with crunch for this set as you already have excellent dragon counters already.
    Last edited by Soul_Fly; 6th October 2012 at 3:17 PM. Reason: Updation

Rotom-W is not a problem. Not only does Lanturn wall, but so does Gastrodon, except both hate Trick. I still like Landy. It does tend to be easily revenge killed, with weaknesses to Ice Shard and Aqua Jet, as well as Bronzong who can take EQ and Stone Edge and Gyro Ball back. I'll look into Lucario, since it did manage to sweep one of my other teams with ease.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffdavid102 View Post
    Rotom-W is not a problem. Not only does Lanturn wall, but so does Gastrodon, except both hate Trick. I still like Landy. It does tend to be easily revenge killed, with weaknesses to Ice Shard and Aqua Jet, as well as Bronzong who can take EQ and Stone Edge and Gyro Ball back. I'll look into Lucario, since it did manage to sweep one of my other teams with ease.
    I played with this team and I have to say that Landorus-T does fall rather easily and Rotom-W does dance all over this team once Gastrodon and Lanturn are out. On top of that, sun teams absolutely devastate this team with Skarmory falling to Fire-type attacks, Gastrodon, Landorus-T and Lanturn going to Solarbeam and Nidoqueen and Heatran dying to either neutral damage or, for Heatran, Fighting-type attacks. Although Lucario wouldn't better this situation, it would help this team become a bit more solid and that is always good. You should definitely look into some more Sun team counters because, even with good switching and predicting, Heatran doesn't do the job well since it becomes predictable after a while.

[Sig from Kuro vi Lolitania]