Thread: Star and more Star

Default Star and more Star

Hello guys,

I've never made my team competitively before. I'm unsure about this team, so I would like to ask you all to rate this newly made team. This is my first, so please be nice. All changes are in bold.

1.) Staraptor@ChoiceScarf
    Intimidate
    Jolly
    4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
    -Close Combat
    -Brave Bird
    -Return/Double-edge
    -U-Turn

Staraptor would be helpful for dishing out physical damage. I prefer Jolly over Adamant because since Staraptor is frail, I can't afford it to get hit, so it would need to outspeed the opponent.

2.) Electivire@Expertbelt
    MotorDrive
    Adamant(+Atk,-Sp.Atk)
    4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
    -ThunderPunch
    -Earthquake
    -IcePunch
    -CrossChop

This moveset is for physical sweeping, as you already can tell. This is pretty simple, and is just for type coverage, offensively speaking.

3.) Starmie@Leftovers/Lifeorb
    NaturalCure
    Timid(+Spe,-Atk)
    252 Sp.Atk/4 Sp.Def/252 Spe
    -Surf
    -IceBeam
    -ThunderBolt
    -Recover/RapidSpin

This is Starmie's basic special sweeping moveset. Same concept as Electivire, but I'm still unsure about the last moveslot. Recover is, obviously, for recovering, but there's also RapidSpin. With NaturalCure, Starmie could pretty much switch in an entry hazard and switch out with ease. Also,I'm unsure which item to use. Either Leftovers or LifeOrb. Please post which one you prefer about the items and the Last moveslot.

4.) Forretress@Leftovers
    Sturdy
    Relaxed(+Def,-Spe)
    252 HP/176 Def/80 Sp.Def
    -RapidSpin
    -StealthRock
    -VoltSwitch
    -ToxicSpikes

This Forretress is a physical wall. StealthRock and ToxicSpikes are for obvious reasons. VoltSwitch is there so I could switch out while doing some damage. RapidSpin is there for clearing my field.

5.) Blissey@Leftovers
    NaturalCure
    Calm(+Sp.Def,-Atk)
    4 HP/252 Def/252 Sp.Def
    -Wish
    -Aromatherapy
    -ThunderWave
    -IceBeam

This Blissey is a special wall. Wish is for support. Aromatherapy is for healing any status that would cripple my team. ThunderWave is for crippling Pokemon, so my sweepers could outspeed them with ease. IceBeam is for offense. Note that I purposely didn't choose SeismicToss. I know SeismocToss is an ideal choice for Blissey, but I don't have access to my 3rd Gen. games anymore, and I don't know anybody who does. Because of that, please don't suggest SeismicToss.

6.) Vaporeon@Leftovers
    WaterAbsorb
    4 HP/252 Def/252 Sp.Def
    Bold(+Def,-Atk)
    -Protect
    -Scald
    -Roar
    -Wish

This Vaporeon is a mixed wall. Scald is for offense as well as crippling the opponent with the exception of Pokemon with Guts. Protect is for protecting Vaporeon while waiting for Wish. Roar is for phazing, but also for dealing some damage due to entry hazards. Wish for for recovering lost HP.

That's my team. Feel free to edit my team as long as you state the purpose. You might notice that I have a big weakness to Electric. I don't know what Ground type Pokemon I should include, or if i should at all. If I do, I would still need help deciding which Pokemon to replace. Thank you.
    Last edited by noobsquad; 14th October 2012 at 4:17 AM.
    AYOH, It's me!

Three of your Pokemon are Electric-weak, so make sure you know when to switch in Electivire so he may Motor Drive off them. If the strategy proves too predictable in practice, so nobody falls for it, you'd be better off using a faster Sweeper.

I don't think you need two Rapid Spinners. You say Starmie would be able to switch into entry hazards with ease because of Natural Cure, so I gather you worry about Poison Spikes? Forretress is immune anyway, so probably just leave it do him. Plus you have Aromatherapy and Wish Support... Entry hazards definitely aren't a huge concern for you. In fact, since you're strategy is inherently defensive, I suggest a Tank rather than Staraptor, and putting Forretress as your first Pokemon in. Like say, Bulk Up Conkeldurr. Blissey has special attacks covered, and Guts Conkeldurr actually benefits from being Poisoned, so why ever not?

Here's Smogon's set, it has worked well for me in the past.

Conkeldurr
    Item: Leftovers
    Ability: Guts
    Nature: Brave / Adamant
    EVs: 120 HP / 252 Atk / 136 SpD
    Moveset:
    Bulk Up
    Drain Punch
    Mach Punch
    Stone Edge / Payback
    IVs: 0 Spe

Hope that helps!
    Last edited by chanseychansey77; 13th October 2012 at 10:42 AM.