Thread: Golden Hearts [a Journeymen FanFic] (PG:14)

Threaded View

Default Golden Hearts [a Journeymen FanFic] (PG:14)

Keyo61491’s Pokemon Fan-Fiction: Golden Hearts. Rated PG: 14

Author's Note: Golden Hearts takes place 4 years before the events of Dark Waters, and 2 years before the events of Pokemon Red/Blue.

Introduction;

“Goldenrod City, city of gold...and my hometown. Man, it’s been a long time since I’ve been home. I think it’s been almost 2 years since I last saw my mother, and to think that my journey started because I wanted nothing more than to get away from her. Now I’m starting to miss those skyscrapers almost literally scraping off chunks of the sky. The constantly busy, crowded streets. The gigantic 5 story mall, that sells virtually EVERYTHING. And despite all odds, I’m even starting to miss Whitney of all people. But what I miss the most about Goldenrod is the reason why it’s so famous. Every afternoon when the sun sets, the entire city is engulfed in a shroud of gold. It’s even more beautiful when you’re sitting at the edge of the harbor where the ocean reflects the sun set. Man, you have to be there to see it, I doubt I can explain it in words, but I can say very easily that Goldenrod is the greatest city there is.

Except for one thing…”

Chapter 1: Heart of Cold

Our story begins in a small white house in Goldenrod city, located right outside the border of what’s considered downtown. Not that it matters, since the non-residential buildings are just as tall as any other skyscraper, and the streets are just as noisy and crowded as any other financial district. Either way, there’s no possible way to get from point A to point B without having to say “excuse me” at least once or twice.

This is one of the many reasons why Keyo almost never goes outside. His social skills are so poor that no matter where he goes, he never says “excuse me” nor does he ever apologize, even if he were to bump into someone, knocking them over. That’s what happens when you coop yourself in your room and do nothing but play video games, and watch anime all day, everyday. His mother doesn’t seem to mind how secluded her son has become, so long as he stays out of trouble, or at least she didn’t seem to mind. Ever since Keyo’s 10th birthday a few weeks ago, she’s been trying to get him out of the house, to do something constructive with himself, even if it’s something as small as a walk to the store for some exercise.

Keyo of course hates to leave his house for 2 reasons. The first is having to interact with people. His lack of social skills isn’t an accident, for some unknown reason, Keyo hates people. Maybe someone did something to him to cause this; perhaps it’s all due to a misunderstanding. No one, not even Keyo knows the real reason. One thing he does know for sure is that saying hello to a stranger is one of the most difficult things for him to do. Whenever his mother sends him off to the store he just pulls his hood over his eyes, puts his hands in his jacket pockets, and walks looking at the ground without saying a word until he got back home.

The second reason is Whitney, the daughter of the Goldenrod city Pokemon Gym leader. Whitney is a happy-go-lucky kind of girl, who’s always positive about anything, and tries to be optimistic about everything. Although, she fails most of the time, due to her being a huge crybaby. She also loves Pokemon, which is a rare trait in Goldenrod. Since the city is so big and loud, hardly any wild Pokemon come anywhere near it, with the exception of hungry Rattata that dig through people’s garbage at night, Wingulls that can be found at the beach during the day, and the Pokemon at the local Gym of course. But of course, being the daughter of the Gym leader, it’s expected that she’d be at least a little attached. However, despite preferring a positive atmosphere, she’s somehow found a kind of charm within Keyo’s reclusive attitude, and tries to spend as much time with him as possible in an attempt to unravel the mysteries of his mind.

How they became friends is a mystery of nature. The only reason why Keyo tolerates her company is because his mother and Whitney’s father were high school friends, not to mention that Whitney’s father isn’t necessarily fond of Keyo either, so he has no choice but to be nice to her. But deep inside Keyo would love nothing more than to be away from her forever, along with everything else.

Goldenrod City Harbor, East of the Railroad station. 7:18pm

There is one thing that Keyo doesn’t absolutely hate about leaving his house. Every afternoon before Keyo goes home, he stops by the harbor to watch the sunset. The golden horizon somehow washes away all of the stress of the day. Even the everyday clatter of the city is drowned out by the serene atmosphere of the harbor at twilight. Keyo thought today was especially calm, considering he hasn’t seen or heard from Whitney all day, which usually spelled disaster later on. But today was a good day, so Keyo let his guard down just this once, and just focused on the half set sun, letting his legs hang freely off the edge of the boardwalk.

“Keeeeeeeeeeeeeeyooooooooooo!!!!” .Keyo immediately recognized that accursed voice coming from behind him, it was Whitney of course. Normally her sudden appearance would break his Zen, but since it was so late in the day, he didn’t mind this one time. “Keyo! I figured you’d be here, I haven’t seen you all day! How have you been?” Keyo laid back with his arms crossed behind his head. “Same as yesterday, and the day before, and the day before…”. “Aww, you need to get out more, have some fun! Make some friends!” Keyo was too Zen’d out to get up and punch Whitney in the face, she knows that he’s too anti-social to do those kinds of things. Whitney sat next to Keyo with her legs hanging off the boardwalk. “Hey Keyo, y’know what today is?” Keyo didn’t respond. He knew the answer, but didn’t want Whitney to know he knew. “It’s my birthday you jerk!” “Oh yeeeeeeah” Keyo responded with a bit of half-assed acting. “We had a party and everything, with cake, and ice cream, and games, there was even a juggler! That’s why I didn’t get to see you today…” “Well you’re seeing me now….oh yeah and happy birthday”. “Thanks, sorry I couldn’t invite you, you know, my dad” “Pfft like I would’ve gone otherwise” Keyo mumbled under his breath. “What?” “Nothing......so why are you here again?” “I just wanted to see you today that’s all...” After that, was silence. Keyo was quietly staring at the darkening sky, while Whitney gazed at the fading sea of gold. Keyo was a bit bewildered; Whitney wasn’t as talkative as she normally was. He felt that she was waiting for him to say something first. “What’s on your mind?” Keyo said to break the silence. Whitney was thrown off to hear Keyo ask such a thing. “Oh nothing, it’s just that...I was sad that you couldn’t be there.” Keyo’s seen enough anime to know where this was going. Whenever a girl mentions her feelings in a casual conversation, it usually leads to a confession of some kind, he thought to himself. He stood up quickly opt to leave her without saying a word. “Keyo...” Keyo paused with his back turned. “Will you see me tomorrow?” Whitney asked. Keyo stopped to think about his answer, he didn’t want hear what he had to say, but he didn’t want to tell her no either. He didn’t know what she’d do if he told her that he didn’t want to see her again. Although he doesn’t care for Whitney that much, he’d still feel guilty if she did something to herself because of something he said. He went for the safe answer “Maybe” and walked away with his hood over his eyes.

Keyo could barely sleep that night. He didn’t know what he’d do if Whitney confessed her love for him or something. Being responsible for someone else’s feelings especially for someone, whom he barely likes as a friend, was a nightmare. Not to mention how her father would react if he turned her down. He needed to get away somehow; he needed an excuse to not see her tomorrow.

The Next Day. Goldenrod City, Residential Area, Keyo’s House. 11:14am

“Keeeeeyo! Whitney’s at the door for you!”
    Keyo’s eyes shot open quickly to the voice of his mother calling him. “What?! She’s here?!?” Keyo thought to himself in panic. A few minutes later Keyo came to the front porch, still groggy from lack of sleep. “Good morning Keyo! Ohayo Gozaimasu!” Whitney greeted cheerfully while lowering her head. “What are you, Kantonese?” Keyo asked with a bit of grump to his voice. “Say, are you free to talk today?” Twas the moment Keyo was dreading all night, having to answer questions while still half asleep. “Uh....no, I’m not” “What? Why not?” It was then that Keyo understood why the characters on TV would rather lie their asses off, than tell the truth. Why meet certain doom by telling the truth, when you can leave the situation to chance by lying? “I just remembered that I have work later!” “Huh?” Whitney questioned, “Huh?” Keyo’s mother questioned overhearing the conversation. “I said I have work tonight! I’m gonna be busy all day today....and tomorrow...and this week!” Keyo’s mother walked up behind him “You don’t have a jo-““Isn’t that right mom?” Keyo interrupted. “Why are you lying to the poor gir-“”ISN”T THAT RIGHT MOM?!?!” Keyo yelled to his mother. “Yes, very busy indeed” Keyo’s mother finally complied. “You’re working now? Where?” Whitney asked with her head tilted. Keyo didn’t think that far ahead, he looked at his mother with a “Please for the love of Arceus, Help me!” look on his face. “Don’t you remember Keyo? You’re working with that young man who just moved in down the street, that computer genius, William.” Keyo’s mother answered. “Yeah...that guy! Thanks for reminding me mom!” “Oh okay then, just let me know whenever you’re free, I’ll see you later then” Whitney accepted the answer and left with a wave.

Keyo shut the door with a sigh of relief. “Phew! Nice save mom, thanks a bunch” Keyo raced up the stairs ready to lock himself in his room for the day until his mother stopped him, “Hold it right there mister, it’s a bit early to thank me yet” Keyo cursed under his breath, he knew wasn’t gonna get out of this scot-free. “I don’t know why you lied to poor Whitney, and I didn’t raise any liars” “What? But you lied too!” “No I didn’t. That boy William was going up and down the neighborhood putting up fliers looking for an intern, I was going to ask you if you were interested, but I think this will make the perfect punishment for lying to that poor girl” “NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!” Keyo thought to himself. He actually did want to scream on the outside, but he was too tired. “I’m going to call William right now to tell him that you’re coming over, you go put some real clothes on, and take a shower, and be on your best behavior or else!” Keyo went into his room without a word, he’d normally try to argue himself out of this situation, but he knows too well that he pretty much did this to himself. So he finally found his excuse to be away from Whitney, but now he has to follow up on his word...a nightmare indeed.

What will this William person have in store for our young hero?
    How will Keyo cope with this new lifestyle?
    What the hell does any of this have to do with Pokemon?

All will be revealed in the next chapter of Golden Hearts!
    Last edited by Keyo61491; 11th October 2012 at 9:58 PM.
    PKMN HG FC:2279-6353-8463
    PKMN WHT FC:3654-4053-1864
    PKMN WHT 2 FC: 3311-3936-8560

If you are challenging my gym, I'm best available from 7:30pm - 8:45pm on weekdays EST. Weekends are questionable.
    Pass phrase: Piiiiiikafett!
    The Syringe Badge: Good news is, it actually DOES look like a syringe! Bad news, The running gag is now dead.