Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Underappreciated Games in the Pokemon Series

Default Underappreciated Games in the Pokemon Series

This is for talking about both main and side games, but what games would you say you really enjoy but seem to be underappreciated by the "mainstream" Pokemon community?

For me the whole 3rd generation of main games seems to fall in this category for one reason or another...

Ruby/Sapphire got a lot of heat for lack of backward compatibility with the previous games and what initially seemed to be no way to get some of our favorite old Pokemon (in many ways you could say this was the series' first "reboot" even before Black/White), but it introduced so many awesome game mechanics and even without online play, it had some of my favorite use of interactive connectivity with the secret bases and the ability to sync up with your friends and have their bases and parties in your game to battle against.

FireRed/LeafGreen were also some of my favorite games in the series but because they were remakes, especially of the "golden children" of the series, maybe they didn't come off as appreciated as expected. I also wonder if maybe Nintendo didn't give them as much consideration since the main thing that really made them stand out in comparison with RBY, the Sevii Islands, are nonexistant in HeartGold/SoulSilver.

Colosseum/XD have to take the cake as far as underappreciated games go in my book, at least for the main series. Lots of people have wondered what a Pokemon RPG would be like on a console, and even though it came in a slightly different package then the handheld games (no wild Pokemon in Colosseum and only a few for XD because of the emphasis on Shadow Pokemon), I think both of these games delivered in a big way. I found myself very much engrossed by the concept of a tougher storyline and the Shadow Pokemon, even though I only rented Colosseum and never got to play XD. Unfortunately, even Bulbapedia refers to them as side games and doesn't even consider them a part of the main series, despite the fact that it plays essentially the same as the handheld games! What seems to be the most disappointing is that probably the ones who appreciated this game the least are Nintendo, since they went back to the Stadium gameplay in PBR when the Wii and later gens would have made for even more amazing adventures.

I guess even Emerald counts too because people seem to see "3rd game" as merely an expansion pack. Emerald seems to do this more than Yellow (with your Pikachu partner) and Crystal (1st time playing as a female character), only really adding the Battle Frontier, slightly improved fonts, and green clothes.

So that's my rant, but I know I'm not the only one. I would love to hear the gems from y'all's collections. Maybe someone will bring up something obscure like the Pokemon mini or the Pokemon Project Studio. Other forms of media besides video games are accepted too, like maybe a TCG expansion that didn't get a lot of publicity.
    John 3:16 - For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have eternal life

My mane pokeymanz in x
    facebook.com/geeksforjesus
    2ds friend code - 4613 7899 0504
    Looking for: purified shadow pokemon, pokemon in hg/ss exclusive pokeballs, y exclusive mega stones

Dash, Link, Rumble Blast just to name a few.

I really don't know why the Mystery Dungeons spin-offs got so many bad reviews. THEY WERE AWESOME! Probably the best spin-off series I've ever played!

Spoiler:- Credits:

Quote Originally Posted by Italianbaptist View Post
    Ruby/Sapphire got a lot of heat for lack of backward compatibility with the previous games and what initially seemed to be no way to get some of our favorite old Pokemon (in many ways you could say this was the series' first "reboot" even before Black/White), but it introduced so many awesome game mechanics and even without online play, it had some of my favorite use of interactive connectivity with the secret bases and the ability to sync up with your friends and have their bases and parties in your game to battle against.
    I agree with you. I was one of the people disappointed with RS back in the day, because of the lack of what you explain and because of the lack of certain features from GSC (day/night cycle, daily/weekly events, etc.) that looked like a step backwards to me. Of course, complaining at what was missing made me not notice some of the great improvements they brought along that made the gameplay deeper. Eventually, I came to realize this and learnt to love these games after playing them more and also, especially, after playing Emerald.

Quote Originally Posted by Luann View Post
    I really don't know why the Mystery Dungeons spin-offs got so many bad reviews. THEY WERE AWESOME! Probably the best spin-off series I've ever played!
    agreed.

also i really liked pokemon pinball...but thats just me
    #AlphaSapphire
    I am one of Jehovah's Witnesses.
    If you have a question about my religion, or wish to discuss my religion, the Bible, or anything related to this topic, feel free to PM or VM me, take a look at the information in my profile or visit our official website.

Quote Originally Posted by ansem the wise View Post

I really liked the R/S one, I took my time to fill up the entire Pokedex I liked it that much.

XD was a good one too.

Come Join
    You'll have lots of fun

Quote Originally Posted by PopPrincess_Lyra View Post
    The non-badge collecting games coz i don't play those, nya~

Agreed 100%

Quote Originally Posted by ansem the wise View Post
    agreed.

I loved Pinball R/S! Especially how most of the tracks were from the main games : D

I have no idea why most reviwers dislike pokepark 1 and 2.To me they were both great games!

PokePark 1 and 2. Pinball, Dash, and Trozei. They were talked about badly, I never played Dash and Trozei, but the others were good.

Pokemon MD Games.a lot of people hate it..I LOVE IT

Diamond, Pearl & Platinum.
    These are probably the most under-appreciated main games in the franchise.

What is a shame, they are my favorites along B2W2 :<

Most of the side games.

tumblr
    - i've claimed zelos wilder, xerneas, and tales of the abyss
    Omega Ruby team:

Also, FR/LG weren't nearly as hyped for as the other remakes, HG/SS. Wich is weird, considering that R/B/Y were the original games and their remakes practically added a whole new region (the sevii islands) to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Luann View Post
    Also, FR/LG weren't nearly as hyped for as the other remakes, HG/SS. Wich is weird, considering that R/B/Y were the original games and their remakes practically added a whole new region (the sevii islands) to it.
    Of course, FRLG were the first remakes, people didn't what to expect.
    Plus, unfortunately GSC is WAY more popular than RBY, it makes sense to their remakes to be more hyped.

People hate Mystery Dungeon? What is wrong with them.
    Quote Originally Posted by LizardonX View Post
    Tabitha has really let himself go, just how many lava cookies did he eat in the last 11 years?

Colosseum. It was darker, but in a good way. It also was hard (yet again, in a good way.). It didn't have some of the refinements that XD had, but it was still good.
    I like Metagross, and I used to claim it!
    Spheal with it.

Spoiler:- 3DS Friend Code:

I don't really dislike any other than Pokemon Dash. I just don't like dash.

Omega - 1/1/13

Pokemon Trozei was very addictive for me, and I had lots of fun!

Colloseum and XDGoD, definitely.

Also 5th Gen, it seems. BW2 are getting absolutely skewered in the reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by a person View Post
    Also 5th Gen, it seems. BW2 are getting absolutely skewered in the reviews.
    Why not? It's a mediocre game.
    Quote Originally Posted by LizardonX View Post
    Tabitha has really let himself go, just how many lava cookies did he eat in the last 11 years?

Quote Originally Posted by Bolt the Cat View Post
    Why not? It's a mediocre game.
    Here we go...

i think that XD and mystery dungeon are way underappreciated, i love those series. same thing with trozei and dash which i still play on my ds.

banner made by Lucina Archealis (I don't think I spelt that right OTL)
    ^U^ I LOVE Crona from soul eater!
    owner of the silver fan club
    VM me and such if you wanna play some SSBB! im always up for a challange!

3rd gen games, Mystery Dungeon and Rumble Blast. I really liked those games and I can't see how they're terrible like most people say.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast