Thread: Pre/Post E4 Platinum Team

Default Pre/Post E4 Platinum Team

I'm a first time platinum player, barely mucked with the fourth gen because I couldn't get off my high horse about the old generations until recently. I did play HG/SS though and I dabbled with Black version.

I have very little idea about the Pokemon in this region and I definitely don't know their move sets, but I know the mechanics and type match ups pretty well.

That said, here's a team. It doesn't seem to have any glaring resistance issues that I can see, but I don't know if there are better alternatives either that are more powerful, can be obtained easier or have better moves. I don't even know the NAMES of most of the 4th gen pokemon.

Torterra
    Adamant
    - Rock Polish
    - Earthquake
    - Wood Hammer
    - Stone Edge

Machamp
    Adamant
    No Guard
    - Dynamic Punch
    - Ice Punch
    - Thunderpunch
    - Substitute

Houndoom
    Timid
    Flash Fire
    - Flamethrower
    - Nasty Plot
    - Dark Pulse
    - Substitute

Alakazam
    Timid
    Inner Focus
    - Psyhic
    - Focus Blast
    - Energy Ball
    - Shadow Ball

Gengar
    Timid
    Levitate
    - Shadow Ball
    - Thunderbolt
    - Hypnosis
    - Focus Blast

Garchomp
    Jolly
    - Swords Dance
    - Dragon Claw
    - Earthquake
    - Rock Slide

So that's my sad little list. As you can see I don't really have any idea what I'm doing. I do have a Jirachi I can trade over somewhere, I don't know what level or nature though (it was through some event, I might not have even picked it up from the delivery man, I know I never used it)

Everything is flexible, I haven't actually started yet. This is just my blue print for when I get to the E4 or complete the game.

So, do what I hear you do best, rip my hopes and dreams to shreds and help me come up with a better team. Thank you.
    Last edited by MurkySnow; 15th October 2012 at 8:59 AM.

Alakazam is too frail to use Substitute and Calm Mind , use Energy Ball and Shadow Ball instead.

Garchomp can use Fire Fang or Rock Slide.
    I'm feelin' electric tonight
    Cruising down the coast goin' 'bout 99
    Got my bad baby by my heavenly side
    I know if I go, I'll die happy tonight

For Gengar, consider T-Bolt over Substitute as Gengar is pretty frail too. Maybe Energy Ball over Hypnosis. For some extra power, you could also teach Torterra Wood Hammer through the move relearner.
    In order to understand my train of thoughts,
    you'll have to put yourself in my position. You can't expect me to think like you because my life ain't like yours; You know what I'm sayin?

- TI, Ready For Whatever
    Paper Trail.

Quote Originally Posted by Aura Sensai View Post
    Alakazam is too frail to use Substitute and Calm Mind , use Energy Ball and Shadow Ball instead.

Garchomp can use Fire Fang or Rock Slide.
    Alakazam already knows Shadow Ball, so that leaves me down a move. Also, if I'm not mistaken don't I have to beat the E4 and complete the Pokedex to be able to get the Energy Ball TM?

Everything sounds good for Garchomp though! As far as I can tell from reading Bulbapedia I should be able to get all of these move sets (Minus Alakazam) before the elite four? I'm not sure how much post-E4 gameplay there is, so I don't know whether it's really worth planning ahead and getting a postgame TM if I'm not planning to use these guys online.

Quote Originally Posted by azeem40 View Post
    For Gengar, consider T-Bolt over Substitute as Gengar is pretty frail too. Maybe Energy Ball over Hypnosis. For some extra power, you could also teach Torterra Wood Hammer through the move relearner.
    Woodhammer sounds good, I can do that post-e4, right? Thunderbolt sounds good. But if I'm using Energy Ball on Alakazam I can't use it on Gengar. :/

My bad :/

Focus Miss (Blast) is better than Calm Mind , though.

Then keep Hypnosis. You can reteach Wood Hammer in Pasteria City with a Heart Scale.
    you'll have to put yourself in my position. You can't expect me to think like you because my life ain't like yours; You know what I'm sayin?

- TI, Ready For Whatever
    Paper Trail.

Thanks for all the tips, I've updated my list with everything I think. Couldn't workout how to strikeout the old moves so I just deleted them and put the new moves in bold.

Pretty excited for this team. Not sure if I'll have the patience to look for the natures for all of them, but it should be fun.

If you don't like the recoil of Wood Hammer, Seed Bomb's an alternative.

I am pretty sure Seed Bomb requires breeding or a move tutor. Idr which though.

- TI, Ready For Whatever
    Paper Trail.

Tutor with BP.

Wood Hammer is fine.