Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 159

Thread: Worst Internet Forums?

  1. #51
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    114

    Default

    Well I can only go from personal experience so...

    I'm not too sure really, but I guess it really depends on how you define "worst". Imo, TF2 SPUF (steam powered users' forums) may be more active and have higher quality discussions, however, there's a lot more trolling and posting memes and such, and that's what half of the discussion is about. I don't really know how to describe the community. You can find some really good posts but the rest, like I said, seem immature. I mean there has been threads targeted at certain individuals just to make fun of them...And if I see another...SOLDIER UPDATE CONFIRMED!... 6_9 I know that reddit really isn't a forum, but r/tf2 might be less organized and some people might think it's just about posting pics, but the discussions seem to have less trolling and more legitimate answers. Imo, the reddit community is a lot friendlier. For example, I going to post a personal topic/question on r/tf2 that I would not dare to post on SPUF. The topic has been posted on r/tf2 some time ago from different people, and the answers all seem really friendly. I mean, like I said, SPUF seems a bit more trollish...but when I post there, I never go off topic! And I never troll at all! Yep, you'll see no overused memes and trade requests from me! No siree!

    selling...Stout Shako for...2 refined!

    I visit Bulbagarden sometimes. I've heard that they're more "strict" about certain stuff/rules? Not too sure really.

  2. #52
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    3,238

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pacifist3000 View Post
    I visit Bulbagarden sometimes. I've heard that they're more "strict" about certain stuff/rules? Not too sure really.
    The problem isn't the rules, because they are basically the same from here.
    The problem is the attitude of some moderators.

    Anyway, why are you not too sure?

  3. #53
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    2,281

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jesusfreak94 View Post
    I lol'd.

    Smogon has several different threads and projects designed to encourage creativity. The Underrated Movesets thread explores sets that people know of, but don't use very often. The Creative Movesets thread discusses pretty much any and all creative and viable movesets. It's even on its second run now because the original thread was so busy. The Dark Horse project encourages the use of underused Pokemon, and records anyone who can use their underused Pokemon to good success. It's on its fourth run. The Research Month threads are designed to encourage people to use specific underused Pokemon and discuss their experiences with it. The Research Month threads have even been attributed to phenomena such as Ambipom's high UU usage. As a matter of fact, I'd say that Smogon encourages innovation far more than Serebii's competitive section. Many of our own "creativity" threads are based off of a similar Smogon thread (i.e. Lost Heroes, Research Month, Creative Movesets), and they have no where near the activity of Smogon's threads.

    As far as "reasoning on a decision"...dude, just read the threads. During suspect votes, you can see people's reasoning by reading their posts pertaining to it. Whenever the councils vote on decisions, they post each council member's reasoning along with their vote after voting is complete. So if you can't find the reasoning behind a decision, you haven't even looked yet.



    I lol'd again.

    Sure they have some elitist snobs. So do most forums or sub-forums that specialize in one subject. But not all Smogonites are like that, and trying to state such is nothing more than an irrational generalization. On top of that, of course they act like they dictate their metagames. They designed it, so they sorta have a right to dictate it.



    I lol'd yet again.

    Not only is this completely unsubstantiated (and seriously, how on Earth would you even know which threads were deleted unless you were a staff member there? Not to mention the raw number of threads that have broken their rules and yet remained locked but undeleted), but what exactly does "their view" even mean? Smogon isn't some singular entity, it's a community that bases its decisions on popular vote. Even if most of the community agrees on a particular decision, there are always those that don't. So there's no such thing as "their view".

    Don't get me wrong, Smogon's forums are pretty bad sometimes. But if you're going to call them the worst ever, at least have some legitimate reasons and stop making it so painfully obvious that you have no clue what you're talking about. For example, I dislike the fact that so many Smogonites are so hateful towards Serebii, despite the fact that our competitive sections tends to think highly of them and contains many members of their forum as well. Then again, when I read posts like these, I can hardly wonder why.

    As far as my pick goes, I haven't visited many forums, but I guess Bulbagarden was the least appealing to me. I agree with a few other people that it's kinda boring at times and even too organized, lol.
    Wow, you're trying way too hard, bro. Just let them think what they want.

    As for me, I've been on different forums, but none of them were horrible. I left most of them just because I got uninterested.
    3DS Friendcode: 5198-2496-8383

  4. #54
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    6,080

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by iFi Salamander View Post
    What did you really expect from a board of elitist snobs who literally dictate the metagame?
    Meh, good point. I guess I was going to step into a bunch of crap and I just wasn't looking.

    Quote Originally Posted by jesusfreak94 View Post
    I lol'd.

    Smogon has several different threads and projects designed to encourage creativity. The Underrated Movesets thread explores sets that people know of, but don't use very often. The Creative Movesets thread discusses pretty much any and all creative and viable movesets. It's even on its second run now because the original thread was so busy. The Dark Horse project encourages the use of underused Pokemon, and records anyone who can use their underused Pokemon to good success. It's on its fourth run. The Research Month threads are designed to encourage people to use specific underused Pokemon and discuss their experiences with it. The Research Month threads have even been attributed to phenomena such as Ambipom's high UU usage. As a matter of fact, I'd say that Smogon encourages innovation far more than Serebii's competitive section. Many of our own "creativity" threads are based off of a similar Smogon thread (i.e. Lost Heroes, Research Month, Creative Movesets), and they have no where near the activity of Smogon's threads.

    As far as "reasoning on a decision"...dude, just read the threads. During suspect votes, you can see people's reasoning by reading their posts pertaining to it. Whenever the councils vote on decisions, they post each council member's reasoning along with their vote after voting is complete. So if you can't find the reasoning behind a decision, you haven't even looked yet.

    Quote Originally Posted by iFi Salamander View Post
    What did you really expect from a board of elitist snobs who literally dictate the metagame?
    I lol'd again.

    Sure they have some elitist snobs. So do most forums or sub-forums that specialize in one subject. But not all Smogonites are like that, and trying to state such is nothing more than an irrational generalization. On top of that, of course they act like they dictate their metagames. They designed it, so they sorta have a right to dictate it.

    I lol'd yet again.

    Not only is this completely unsubstantiated (and seriously, how on Earth would you even know which threads were deleted unless you were a staff member there? Not to mention the raw number of threads that have broken their rules and yet remained locked but undeleted), but what exactly does "their view" even mean? Smogon isn't some singular entity, it's a community that bases its decisions on popular vote. Even if most of the community agrees on a particular decision, there are always those that don't. So there's no such thing as "their view".

    Don't get me wrong, Smogon's forums are pretty bad sometimes. But if you're going to call them the worst ever, at least have some legitimate reasons and stop making it so painfully obvious that you have no clue what you're talking about. For example, I dislike the fact that so many Smogonites are so hateful towards Serebii, despite the fact that our competitive sections tends to think highly of them and contains many members of their forum as well. Then again, when I read posts like these, I can hardly wonder why.

    As far as my pick goes, I haven't visited many forums, but I guess Bulbagarden was the least appealing to me. I agree with a few other people that it's kinda boring at times and even too organized, lol.
    Well, they could be nicer and point out stuff when we ask them so I won't have to ask again.

    Quote Originally Posted by waffle_x_v View Post
    I find smogon forums much like a dictatorship. They delete any post that doesn't fit their view. Not to mention how seriously they take pokemon. I like pokemon, it's fun, but it's not a way of life.
    Quote Originally Posted by BritishWeavile View Post
    Bulbgarden and Smogon IMO
    At least I'm not alone.

    Still, Funimation's forums, God awful. Either people are complaining about Funimation's dumb decisions or are obsessed by some of the titles they picked up. Dragon Ball Z comes to mind, the idiots typing that they're shoving their erection into various openings of my body when I say I don't get the hype. That and it's filled with so many Bronies...
        Spoiler:- 3DS friend-code:

  5. #55
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    114

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nyarlathotep View Post
    The problem isn't the rules, because they are basically the same from here.
    The problem is the attitude of some moderators.

    Anyway, why are you not too sure?
    I've only heard that they are stricter on another thread here so I just wanted to make sure it wasn't a rumor and that it was for real or something like that. Plus I rarely go there so I don't see too much of the "action".

  6. #56
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Nowhere
    Posts
    2,619

    Default

    Well for me, I've really only been on three forums.

    Here, PTCGO, and Neopets. (And lurked at Gamefaqs)

    Here, I do have to say is the best of the three. The only thing I have to complain about is the Role Play Section... It just takes forever for some Role Plays to start rolling, and a pain just to go and constantly remind someone to update. It get's annoying for both the GM and the person, and then you see them join another role play, but not do anything about it. It's just really annoying for the process, but ONCE everyone starts to post CONSTANTLY, it starts to become really enjoyable.

    PTCGO is basically another Nintendo run forums. (You don't want to here the things my internet mother and I have said about the mods... You just don't). They're only focused on Pokemon, meaning that they don't have any breathing room at all! (If you even talk about something else, they'll delete or edit your post( The censor is so sensitive you can't eve do an OOC (Okay, I got it) because the sensor thinks you're trying to say a man's private part. You can't link to anything (The mods will delete and give you a message), and so much more. No matter how many times you report someone, NOTHING is done. It's filled with trolls, and they DON'T DO ANYTHING ABOUT IT. The mods promote peace, I seriously just want to type to them. "It's a god damned forum, that's pretty much impossible." Hell, a mod posted in a Role Play of mine because my friends and I had our characters in romantic relationships telling us not to have any sexual activity. It's just a kiss, it's not that bad... (Yet my internet mom was somehow able to pull of a cleverly disguised sex scene and they didn't do squat). The role plays can be Pokemon only (like I said, if it's not Pokemon, they'll delete it.), meaning Crossovers can't be done. Here's an example on what I mean: http://www.pokemontcg.com/forums/pok...t-rule-changes.

    Neopets was fine when I was there. It was disorganized, and had it's share of elitists and so forth, but it was fun while it lasted.

    While, in my opinion, PTCGO is the worse out there (Sorry for the giant rant, but it does have a point). GameFAQS comes as a good second (it's funny sometimes though).


    If Tumblr, Facebook, or something of the like became a forum, you get what I mean.

    Also, the BMGf Admin will dis anyone who doesn't like Pokeshipping!? Um, remind not to go there.
    Last edited by Lost™; 15th October 2012 at 11:25 PM.


    I look sugary and sweet, but in reality I'm just hollow and rotten.
    Tumblr

  7. #57
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Elsa's Ice Palace.
    Posts
    3,528

    Default

    Years ago...like 2008-ish...there was one in Mia's PKMN World...or something. i got banned for like 6 months coz I never posted o_O;

    I was only there to chat to a friend and we got got suspended for chatting and no posting, WTF? nya~

  8. #58
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Cajunland
    Posts
    579

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PopPrincess_Lyra View Post
    Years ago...like 2008-ish...there was one in Mia's PKMN World...or something. i got banned for like 6 months coz I never posted o_O;

    I was only there to chat to a friend and we got got suspended for chatting and no posting, WTF? nya~
    I'll ban you for half of a year! That'll teach you to not post! -_-

  9. #59
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    6,080

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by *IZ* View Post
    Wow, you're trying way too hard, bro. Just let them think what they want.
    How could I miss the post that was right above mine? Thank you.
        Spoiler:- 3DS friend-code:

  10. #60

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by *IZ* View Post
    Wow, you're trying way too hard, bro. Just let them think what they want.

    As for me, I've been on different forums, but none of them were horrible. I left most of them just because I got uninterested.
    Since when is refuting factually incorrect accusations considered "trying too hard"? I couldn't care less whether someone likes Smogon or not. If you notice, I said nothing about BritishWeavile's same opinion, and that's because he didn't try defending his position with untrue information. Heck, I even gave an example of something I don't like about Smogon. But comments like that are the reason that so many Serebii users have such misconceptions about Smogon. And this goes both ways. If I were to say I dislike Serebii's forums because of extensive adult content, any user here would be perfectly justified in rebuking me, likely citing things such as the swear filter and severe punishments on inappropriate material to defend the efforts to keep this a child-friendly environment. Would that be trying too hard as well?

    Love Smogon, hate Smogon, I don't care. But don't try to fabricate reasons for it.

  11. #61
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    6,080

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jesusfreak94 View Post
    Since when is refuting factually incorrect accusations considered "trying too hard"? I couldn't care less whether someone likes Smogon or not. If you notice, I said nothing about BritishWeavile's same opinion, and that's because he didn't try defending his position with untrue information. Heck, I even gave an example of something I don't like about Smogon. But comments like that are the reason that so many Serebii users have such misconceptions about Smogon. And this goes both ways. If I were to say I dislike Serebii's forums because of extensive adult content, any user here would be perfectly justified in rebuking me, likely citing things such as the swear filter and severe punishments on inappropriate material to defend the efforts to keep this a child-friendly environment. Would that be trying too hard as well?

    Love Smogon, hate Smogon, I don't care. But don't try to fabricate reasons for it.
    Ugh...don't remind me of our anime section.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jb View Post
    MY EYES!

    As for Smogon, we're not fabricating reasons for it, we're giving our honest opinion and we will accept the fact that some of us had a poor time navigating.
        Spoiler:- 3DS friend-code:

  12. #62

    Default

    iFi Salamander's post was the only one that was technically factually correct, because Smogon really does try to dictate their metagames (which makes sense, tbh). I just responded to that because, as a member of the Smogon forums, I don't quite like being generalized as a elitist snob. The other accusations were rejection of creativity (even though they encourage it in multiple ways), neglect to explain decisions (even though those are easily researched, and in the case of the councils, they're posted after each vote), and that they delete posts that don't agree with their views (which is untrue and could not even be verified by a non-staff member anyways). If you dislike Smogon because of bad experiences there, then just say so. I really can't argue with that, and honestly that's a legitimate reason. But the others are not.

  13. #63
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    dere in the sheets
    Posts
    9,132

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Terra Branford View Post
    I signed up to GameFAQs on a whim a couple of months ago. After spending some time there, I can definitively say that 99% of members there are worse than the ones on here. It takes a lot of effort to find posters with some actual sense but they do exist on that site. Somehow.
    Agreed. Just look at the Lightning Returns Board.

  14. #64
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    United Kingdom & Ireland
    Posts
    1,620

    Default

    For those who argue that this forum is one of the worst they know of - you're doing a pretty good job of being ironic. But to be fair, the members here are a bit more literate and less colloquial than what I have seen on most.

    I will agree with Seelowe for the worst forum I have seen though, it has to be the CoD forums. Everyone there just talks rubbish, complains about glitches, asks for hacks and prestige lobbies... etc. etc. There's piles upon piles of empty threads lying around and no general discussion or any sign of a community at all. So yeah.
    Last.fm | Steam ID
    (come and play Team Fortress 2 with me!)

  15. #65
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    6,080

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jesusfreak94 View Post
    iFi Salamander's post was the only one that was technically factually correct, because Smogon really does try to dictate their metagames (which makes sense, tbh). I just responded to that because, as a member of the Smogon forums, I don't quite like being generalized as a elitist snob. The other accusations were rejection of creativity (even though they encourage it in multiple ways), neglect to explain decisions (even though those are easily researched, and in the case of the councils, they're posted after each vote), and that they delete posts that don't agree with their views (which is untrue and could not even be verified by a non-staff member anyways). If you dislike Smogon because of bad experiences there, then just say so. I really can't argue with that, and honestly that's a legitimate reason. But the others are not.
    Okay then, thank you.
        Spoiler:- 3DS friend-code:

  16. #66
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    2,281

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jesusfreak94 View Post
    Since when is refuting factually incorrect accusations considered "trying too hard"? I couldn't care less whether someone likes Smogon or not. If you notice, I said nothing about BritishWeavile's same opinion, and that's because he didn't try defending his position with untrue information. Heck, I even gave an example of something I don't like about Smogon. But comments like that are the reason that so many Serebii users have such misconceptions about Smogon. And this goes both ways. If I were to say I dislike Serebii's forums because of extensive adult content, any user here would be perfectly justified in rebuking me, likely citing things such as the swear filter and severe punishments on inappropriate material to defend the efforts to keep this a child-friendly environment. Would that be trying too hard as well?

    Love Smogon, hate Smogon, I don't care. But don't try to fabricate reasons for it.
    Well you obviously took your time and put a lot of effort into something they will probably not read (im sure a lot of other members didn't even bother reading your post) because it's too long.
    3DS Friendcode: 5198-2496-8383

  17. #67
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    dere in the sheets
    Posts
    9,132

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rezzo View Post
    For those who argue that this forum is one of the worst they know of - you're doing a pretty good job of being ironic.
    Honestly this place isn't even that bad. People that are saying here are only saying it because they are here. This is probably one of the most lenient forums I've ever been on.

  18. #68
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Elsewhere
    Posts
    122

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CandleReaper View Post
    PTCGO is basically another Nintendo run forums. (You don't want to here the things my internet mother and I have said about the mods... You just don't). They're only focused on Pokemon, meaning that they don't have any breathing room at all! (If you even talk about something else, they'll delete or edit your post( The censor is so sensitive you can't eve do an OOC (Okay, I got it) because the sensor thinks you're trying to say a man's private part. You can't link to anything (The mods will delete and give you a message), and so much more. No matter how many times you report someone, NOTHING is done. It's filled with trolls, and they DON'T DO ANYTHING ABOUT IT. The mods promote peace, I seriously just want to type to them. "It's a god damned forum, that's pretty much impossible." Hell, a mod posted in a Role Play of mine because my friends and I had our characters in romantic relationships telling us not to have any sexual activity. It's just a kiss, it's not that bad... (Yet my internet mom was somehow able to pull of a cleverly disguised sex scene and they didn't do squat). The role plays can be Pokemon only (like I said, if it's not Pokemon, they'll delete it.), meaning Crossovers can't be done. Here's an example on what I mean: http://www.pokemontcg.com/forums/pok...t-rule-changes.
    I take back my comments on these forums being bad - I left for here pretty much the day after they changed it. I still have to wonder what the hell they were thinking when they changed it. (Oh wait, I know, they weren't.) I remember ranting for the first few hours after the change, after which I basically said Screw this, I'm outta here! In hindsight, seeing how bad you say it got, I was doing the right thing. That is not how a forum should be run - the rules are way too strict.

    (By the way, your link doesn't work, at least for me)
    Last edited by Twentington; 16th October 2012 at 1:05 AM.
    3DS FC: 0302-0291-6804


    Move along, nothing to see here.

  19. #69
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Somewhere in Hoenn
    Posts
    669

    Default

    I used to lurk on a few of the Gamefaqs boards before I came here. After checking out their Black 2 boards recently, I remembered why I left. So many pointless troll topics and people generally being jerks to each other.

    But it's good for wasting half an hour even when I should really be doing more important things.

    Friend Safari - Bug with Butterfree/Volbeat/Vivillon - PM me for my FC!
        Spoiler:- Shiny hunting stuff:


  20. #70
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    In the Darkness
    Posts
    72

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CandleReaper View Post
    PTCGO is basically another Nintendo run forums. (You don't want to here the things my internet mother and I have said about the mods... You just don't). They're only focused on Pokemon, meaning that they don't have any breathing room at all! (If you even talk about something else, they'll delete or edit your post( The censor is so sensitive you can't eve do an OOC (Okay, I got it) because the sensor thinks you're trying to say a man's private part. You can't link to anything (The mods will delete and give you a message), and so much more. No matter how many times you report someone, NOTHING is done. It's filled with trolls, and they DON'T DO ANYTHING ABOUT IT. The mods promote peace, I seriously just want to type to them. "It's a god damned forum, that's pretty much impossible." Hell, a mod posted in a Role Play of mine because my friends and I had our characters in romantic relationships telling us not to have any sexual activity. It's just a kiss, it's not that bad... (Yet my internet mom was somehow able to pull of a cleverly disguised sex scene and they didn't do squat). The role plays can be Pokemon only (like I said, if it's not Pokemon, they'll delete it.), meaning Crossovers can't be done. Here's an example on what I mean: http://www.pokemontcg.com/forums/pok...t-rule-changes
    I was going to post about PTCGO, but Wick beat me to it. PTCGO and Serebii are the only forums I've been to. But I'm glad to be here.

  21. #71
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    The Enterprise
    Posts
    2,859

    Default

    ive only posted on here (so i cant say from expirience)
    but ive read some forums that wew really not set up well
    #AlphaSapphire
    I am one of Jehovah's Witnesses.
    If you have a question about my religion, or wish to discuss my religion, the Bible, or anything related to this topic, feel free to PM or VM me, take a look at the information in my profile or visit our official website.

  22. #72
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    add me on kik winkface
    Posts
    2,310

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by iFi Salamander View Post
    What did you really expect from a board of elitist snobs who literally dictate the metagame?
    Can you like calm the **** down the he heavy biases guys we all know you're a serebii homer but don't make it more glaringly obvious thank you

    Honestly the anime section of this forum is preeeettttyyyyy bad. Like so bad I'm not even going to try it.
    Dragons den is a pretty bad forum as well. they literally have one mod.

  23. #73
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Morgan Freeman's house
    Posts
    888

    Default

    I can't remember what it was called but they were friends with forums that only purely hack so I hated it there, I was told to post a shop in one specific place by a mod, then got the thread closed by another mod and was yelled at for it -_- needless to say I will never return there again



    3DS XL FC for Pokemon Y 2595-0724-5772 IGN SmeargleRocks
    Shiny Number 1268

    I can offer gen6 cloning services, I will only clone what I don't have as glitch cloning can take awhile and be stressful

    Self caught shinies on Y 24
    first successfull (and accidental) MM Shelmet timid 31/1/19/31/31/31 4:25 pm EST 4/14/14
    Shiny XD Gale of Darkness Zubat caught September 17th 2012 @ 4:24 pm EST cave PokeSpot

    FUC* ALL HACKERS!!!
    ALL Gen6 6IV Event pokemon are hacked

  24. #74
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    United Kingdom & Ireland
    Posts
    1,620

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jb View Post
    People that are saying here are only saying it because they are here.
    Am confused

    But I agree with the rest of your post though. 's nat too bad roun' these ol' parts
    Last.fm | Steam ID
    (come and play Team Fortress 2 with me!)

  25. #75
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    dere in the sheets
    Posts
    9,132

    Default

    Whoops bad wording lol.

    People that are saying that it's terrible here are only saying it because they are here. aka trying to be witty ect

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •