Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Halo Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Jolteon91 View Post
    Have you played 4 on Legendary, or did you not pay attention to any Marines? They all died on me within seconds of encountering any enemies.

Heroic is a walk in the park, completed it on Heroic after Legendary to get the campaign based achievements and didn't come close to dying.
    Really? I confess, I'm probably more thinking Halo 3 and reach. I haven't honestly seen that many marines in halo 4. The main time I remember seeing them was when I was in the jungle and during the lab rescue op. In the first one, I really just mowed everything down with the two chain guns there. I only saw two dead marines...And the other one I've only played on on Normal as of yet, So I can't really give an opinion on that. The rest of the time all of my allies were spartan IV's. ._.;... But when playing halo 3 and a marine just sits there and takes fire from all ends with me, and I die first...somethings wrong. Not to mention it takese two spartan punches to kill a marine in halo 3...which means they have to have at least similar health length to spartans and elitles. Though I admit that the Marines tended to flinch (Or something like it) when hit with too much bullets...but that doesn't take that dang accuracy they have with guns away. >3>...

You honestly just are probably better at the game then me. My health decreases so quickly on legendary D:...there's a group of three elites at one point during spartan ops (one with an energy sword, one with a fuel rod and one with something else...that I can't remember at the moment.), and I tried doing that on legendary. I beat it, but the amount of times I died on that one little area with those 3 elites was ridiculous...
    Quote Originally Posted by Klizcool View Post
    Well, they do say that this is the way Halo should be played. Lol

Remember the marines on the Pillar of Autumn when you shot the Keyes? If the UNSC deployed some of them, they wouldn't be losing as badly. I'm still kinda confused about how Johnson survived the flood too. I mean. I get that it was genetic modification, but wouldn't he die of loss of blood when the Infection Forms hit him?
    xD

hmm...I dunno. I mean from what I remember in the books...didn't John almost get infected but before the flood spore got into him cortana sent an electric pulse up his spinal cord or something and shocked the flood spore to death?... I know it at least started digging...
    Last edited by EmphaticPikachu; 29th November 2012 at 2:11 AM.

When refering to learning..."In other words, groups are not where ideas are born. Groups are where ideas are evaluated."
    My eyes! (my eyes!) are filled with curiosity! You think! (You think!) that you have power over me! In this life! (This life!) There’s no room for you and me! So turn around and face the day with me!
    Such a sexy song. Urgh.

Quote Originally Posted by Charizard Champion#06 View Post
    Me and my friends getting Monster Trucks 3.0 working in Custom War Games. Basically Warthogs pushing each other off things.
    Haha, me as well! Except me and my cousin are making one wheret there is holes in the floor. And when you die, you get all the noobtoobs, sticky detonator, and grenades, to try and blow the other warthogs into the holes. We are having a problem with when it ends, Theres not really a Victor. You have to just restart.
    White friend code: 0347 5916 2191
    Black 2 friend code: 0820 1802 1694

Quote Originally Posted by Pika-Pika-Red View Post
    xD

hmm...I dunno. I mean from what I remember in the books...didn't John almost get infected but before the flood spore got into him cortana sent an electric pulse up his spinal cord or something and shocked the flood spore to death?... I know it at least started digging...
    I get that, tis but a scratch though. At the begining of First Strike, John kinda scratch at it or something while he's on the Longsword alone, so it wasn't a mortal wound, whereas Johnson had the Infection Form on him for who knows how long before he got away. And wasn't Stacker infected too? I think that was the infected Marine that he tried reasoning with.

Sprites made by Botchan-MLP

Simply put this is now my favourite Halo game and I think it’s easily one of the best games of 2012 (overall, not just in the shooter segment).

In some ways I’d compare Halo 4 to Batman: Arkham City and Gears of War 3 - all three took the best elements of the previous games in the series and then polished them up so they functioned even better.

But in addition to that of course is the fact that Halo 4 had to launch the Reclaimer saga and so start up a whole new story, bring in new characters, a new faction, and (most difficult of all) make it all gel and balance with what’s come before both narratively and gamplay wise – and 343 succeeded incredibly.

Campaign:
    Easily one of the best stories in a Halo game thus far.

The campaign narrative is engrossing and compelling.
    As many have said the story benefits enormously from the return of John and Cortana; Reach tried to tell a more personal story than any of the others (with the possible exception of 3: ODST) but had the handicap of introducing us to an all new list of characters, in 4 it works because we know John and Cortana and care about them before the story even starts. It really was great to see them struggle with their own personal fights as well as then having the weight of the continued survival of humanity fall on their shoulders.
    The score compliments the action and cut-scenes beautifully. And the graphics (for all modes) are nothing short of jaw-dropping, easily the equal of anything around on any gaming system – it almost makes me wonder why people are calling for next gen consoles when the 360 S can produce something that looks like this, aside from the fact it means dead bodies and weapons spawn out very fast.

In terms of the actual gameplay in the campaign, the game truly follows the series traditional strengths. Once again it’s a combat sandbox with a large arsenal and varied play spaces, which thankfully do not feel quite as open and or exposed as those in Reach did at times, allowing you to approach situations as you choose to against tough and intelligent foes.
    The Covenant are most definitely the tried and true foes we’re used to playing in every respect, proving every bit as tough and diverse as in the past – if not in fact a little smarter and tougher than they were before.
    But it’s the Prometheans who really change the landscape/sandbox – playing very differently to the Covenant, and taking the series' traditional 'Artificial Brilliance' up to the next level with their aggressive charges, flanking and deadly weapons.

Of course that serves to make some of the more scripted and focused elements of the game (defend an area while Cortana opens a door and ‘find and interact with 2/3 of these’ elements are a bit too) feel more restrictive and unimaginative, especially since it’s broadly not like the instances in Halo 3 where what you had to find and destroy things like AA Wraiths or Scarabs – instead in 4 you mostly fight your way up to something you just have to touch or chuck a grenade at.
    However for me those moments didn’t come too often to reduce my enjoyment of the game. While I do understand the sentiment that we had stuff like that in prior Halo games because of hardware and software limitations and that 10 years on that sort of thing is no longer necessary, I also thought that the way it was done kinda tipped the hat to the other games and so it’s partially forgivable.

Multi-Player:
    Tight fairly fast paced action, balanced game play, smooth controls, purpose made maps, and a wealth of diverse playlists/game-modes/game-types: Proof Halo is still the best FPS multi-player experience around.

Like many after hearing about some changes (enhanced load-out/create-a-class with weapons unlocking over time, call in ordinance, and attempt to quicken play up) I wasn’t quite sure what to expect from Multi-Player this time around. But any concerns I had have pretty much evaporated.

The action feels faster and tighter than before, especially with the lower down time between dying and respawning, but not so fast that it’s utterly chaotic – resulting in a satisfying experience.

I certainly haven’t felt I’ve been outgunned by higher level players just because they’ve got access to a gun or perk I didn’t have or hadn’t ‘bought’. Just, as it should be, my opponent played better, is more skilled or went in with the right combination for the situation or their playstyle. Which just goes to prove the game hasn’t been made too easy or unbalanced – if it had been my K/D ratio would supposedly be a lot better than Reach but it’s not (0.52 from 134 games to 0.67 from 49 games).

It’s also pretty clear, to me at least, that a certain other franchise (*cough* CoD *cough*) has not managed to invade Halo… There’s none of this “aim down the sight or you can empty a whole clip into someone and still not get a kill” nonsense, no virtually invisible booby traps spread around left, right and centre, and (thank heavens!) no sudden death from above.

The maps are a vast improvement over those in Reach, know that’s not hard (since the best maps, in my opinion, were created in Forge rather than the recycled Campaign spaces) but anyway.

So far I’ve found all the maps feel balanced for the game types I’ve played on them: ie not favouring one team based on their starting position or if they managed to get to a particular point in numbers or even in Flood providing huge open killing grounds. I really like how each map has its own distinct feel from the others, not just in terms of looks but what playstyle/loadouts work better on a particular map.

The wealth and diversity of playlists is quite impressive as well, and very welcome after the fairly sparse set that were available in Reach.
    I’ve yet to try every playlist yet but I’ve been very impressed by the revamped Infinity Slayer and Flood, the two playlists I was most concerned about as they were my favourites (and pretty much all I played) in Reach. I’ve really enjoyed the addition of Dominion, though I think some people need to learn how to play it – Lone Wolves die, quickly and often
    The only other playlist I’ve tried so far has been Regicide but I wasn’t playing well at the time so I’ll have to give it another chance.

Spartan Ops:
    An excellent replacement for Firefight.

Spartan Ops was pretty much the only thing that really gave me pause for thought in the lead up to Halo 4’s release.

I will admit I’d definitely lost interest in Firefight but I didn’t think the mode was beyond redemption, it just seemed to need reworking (better maps, more retrievable weapons and, most of all, more reward for playing a game).
    In contrast I really wasn’t sure what we were getting with Spartan Ops. I liked the sound of it being semi-story driven, but wasn’t sure about it – could you play solo and or offline? What was it going to involve (as a true Halo mission style or just a glorified Horde mode)? And how well were you going to be rewarded for your time in missions?

Having spent nearly 9 hours in Spartan Ops (and finished 18 missions) I’m confident in saying the result is much better than Firefight. The story, such as it is, helps tie the missions together with a solid narrative and expands intriguingly on the Campaign; however the ability to connect more to the characters through the story is limited by the fact that the team featured in the cut-scenes isn’t the one players play as.
    That said without doubt the delivery and story sets it apart from a lot of other Horde/Extra-Mission modes. As it is story driven and is delivered piece meal it’s almost like a TV show that, if the player becomes invested in the story, keeps them coming back each week for the new instalment. Similar modes in other games can’t do that as they usually don’t have a connecting story and either start with everything unlocked or gradually unlock things are people progress through the others.

Game play wise it sorta straddles the line between a genuine mini-mission set up and a standard Horde more, with large maps, a reasonable mix of reaching objectives and surviving waves of foes. Although in my opinion it leans more towards being a Horde mode with a few objectives, especially with some of the waves you are confronted with.

The weapon situation is definitely better than it was in Firefight, with ammo racks available to pick different weapons from as well as being able to scavenge (quickly) weapons from slain foes. With the amount of loadouts limited by level and various kinds of foes being thrown at the player, ie Hunters and Phantoms, this is welcome but also necessary really.

The reward system is also much better, with a completed mission being worth almost as much as a multi-player match, and so it is viable as an alternate mode to spend time in.

However it is held back by the fact that it’s more a co-op Horde mode than a co-op focused mini campaign as was originally suggested and that it can’t be played if Xbox live is down or the player isn’t a Gold Member.

Other matters:
    I think the feature that sounds out the most for me has been the work on the weapons. It’s really clear they’ve received a huge amount of work from 343, in terms of appearance, sound and balancing.
    Each of the weapons feels like it fits into its overall class but also feels distinct from the others in the class – quite the achievement given we’ve got weapons from the Covenant, Prometheans, and UNSC.

Another really good aspect is how useful the entire arsenal feels compared to in the past where, certainly in my case, you’d only pick up certain weapons if you had no other choice. I’ve happily swapped and changed weapons like never before.

The Assault class weapons have really impressed me this time around. Aside from in CEA I’ve tended to steer clear of the bullet sprayers due to their low accuracy and relatively low firepower. In Halo 4 the accuracy feels better and within the right range, which has received a nice little boost, they definitely pack a wallop. Indeed I’ve used the Assault Rifle, SAW, Suppressor and Storm Rifle more in one campaign run through than I have in all my time with the other Halos (aside from CE:A). In fact the SAW has become a favourite of mine.

And finally there’s Waypoint and the Challenges. As with Reach the stats tracking is thorough (if not even more thorough this time) and well presented. And the challenges help give extra incentive to play to those who wish to accept them – although some more variety for Spartan Ops challenges wouldn’t go amiss.

Overall this is a great game and I give it a 9.5

Night_Walker, I do have to agree with you that this is one of the best games I've seen so far. 343i has taken this game to a whole other level. When I first saw the animation I thought it was live action like they did in Forward Unto Dawn. Also, the ending brought up emotions, something that I never have in a shooting video game. Or any Video Game for that matter.

I must also say that each game has their perfect weapon. You said that you used the AR, SAW, Suppressor, and Storm Rifle a lot. I can't say from first hand experience, but I'll take your word on it. In Reach, I myself found the DMR and Needle Rifle as the most effective way of killing Elites. Needless to say, I was quite good at dishing out Headshot's. Halo 3 and Halo 2 I would use the Carbine and Battle Rifle a lot, finding that Spraying and Preying was an aweful way to kill Brutes. In CE, I would make sure that I had a Magnum in case of Hunters and a Plasma Rifle for anyone else.

Vehicle Playability has never been my strong suit, mostly because I also get boarded trying to run someone over. From the sounds of things though, the Mantis sounds pretty powerful, and the Mammoth sounds downright awesome.

Klizcool,

They have indeed produced a fantastic game. Not just the game, the whole franchise. It's pretty darn close - probably about as close as they can get on the current system. The whole game is emotionally investing, as the series has tried to be since 3 (with the obvious exception of CE:A), and the ending is a fittingly strong emotional high and low and so much more.

Earlier entries have certainly had weapons you really want, weapons you'll accept, and weapons you'll only pick up in a pinch, pretty much regardless of personal playstyle preferences because of the way things were set up.
    In Halo 4, in my eyes at least, that's no longer the case. Individual players may gravitate towards certain weapons based on their preferred playstyle and an individual weapon's quirks/nature but unlike other games in the series there's no weapon that feels useless. Well actually I was using them as an example of the better balancing I feel is now in effect, since I've avoided those kind of weapons aside from in CE:A but now they genuinely have a place again, being more accurate, powerful and having a range edge over CQC weapons (Energy Swords, Gravity Hammer, Scattershot and Shotgun).

I'm sorta the same with vechicles - though it's never stopped me lol. The Mantis is indeed extremely powerful, having used them and fought against them I'd agree with 343's statement it is the most powerful regularly pilotable vechicle in the game now - trust me, it's frightening when you're on foot and an enemy controlled one rounds a corner in MP.
    "Well... someone's over compensating". The Mammoth is cool though more from a visual standpoint.

I myself prefer the DMR. Ever since I started using it on reach, its been my favorite. In my loadouts, its my primary. My little brother prefers the battle rifle, which I don't really like that much, but I do find myself using more wide area of weapons besides my usual DMR + Shotgun combo. I do miss some guns, like the covenant shotgun. Can't remember what it was called. But Im glad 343 took over. I personally think they did better. My friend won't buy halo 4 because Bungie didn't make it. He also complained it didn't make any sense because in 3, they destroyed the last halo.

Quote Originally Posted by ImAnOKIE12 View Post
    I personally think they did better. My friend won't buy halo 4 because Bungie didn't make it. He also complained it didn't make any sense because in 3, they destroyed the last halo.
    I don't know about 343 doing better than Bungie, there's a bunch of little things I think the messed up but the game as a whole is pretty damn good still.

Your friend doesn't know what he's talking about, they didn't "destroy the last halo" in Halo 3. Did he even play the game?

I thought the whole thing with "vidocs" about halo 4 they did was really cool and put up the hype with the newest game. All those vidocs they made explaining their thought processes was really cool, and I believe set the standards kind of high. And I think the most satisfying thing they did was really make it as they said they did. They made it good, and proved to fanbase and to others that it went well.
    but thats just me. I really did like the vidocs, It really excited me and brought me into the halo series. I've never been this up to date with a halo game before. xD

When refering to learning..."In other words, groups are not where ideas are born. Groups are where ideas are evaluated."
    My eyes! (my eyes!) are filled with curiosity! You think! (You think!) that you have power over me! In this life! (This life!) There’s no room for you and me! So turn around and face the day with me!
    Such a sexy song. Urgh.

I don't know about 343 doing better than Bungie, there's a bunch of little things I think the messed up but the game as a whole is pretty damn good still.
    343 definitely did better than Bungie's last two efforts.

Your friend doesn't know what he's talking about, they didn't "destroy the last halo" in Halo 3. Did he even play the game?
    Well yeah, I agree about nor knowing if they did better, but I mean overall, with me they did a little better. And yes, we used to play it together. Healways says "Did you play halo 3? They blew up the last halo! Halo 4 is just stupid." I quit arguing with him.

I personally think they did better. My friend won't buy halo 4 because Bungie didn't make it. He also complained it didn't make any sense because in 3, they destroyed the last halo.
    There was a ring in Halo 4, he must really be dumb.
    THIS IS FOR MY NINTENDO 3DS HANDHELD SYSTEM 2664-2984-6619
    THIS IS FOR MY POKEMON WHITE VIDEO GAME Mike-0218-6703-3716

Quote Originally Posted by the3rdH0kage View Post
    There was a ring in Halo 4, he must really be dumb.
    More like uninformed, but yeah. lol

Such a sexy song. Urgh.

Quote Originally Posted by ImAnOKIE12 View Post
    Well yeah, I agree about nor knowing if they did better, but I mean overall, with me they did a little better. And yes, we used to play it together. Healways says "Did you play halo 3? They blew up the last halo! Halo 4 is just stupid." I quit arguing with him.
    There are seven rings. They said that in Halo 2 and in Halo 3. Only one ring was destroyed. Twice. The Ark want exactly neccessary to the rings, they could fire on their own, but the point of the Ark was to fire them all at once. That's all. It also was the only way to really escape the Halos. I think...

You need new friends. Lol.

Dedicated to Crimson is bugged, doesn't seem to unlock if you play co-op.
    My Anime List

Spoiler:- My Claims:

There are seven rings. They said that in Halo 2 and in Halo 3. Only one ring was destroyed. Twice. The Ark want exactly neccessary to the rings, they could fire on their own, but the point of the Ark was to fire them all at once. That's all. It also was the only way to really escape the Halos. I think...

You need new friends. Lol.
    Haha, he's the only one that thinks that way. Apparently his cousin has it and he is going to play it next time he sees them

Havnt been able to play for awhile. Thinking about selling my cows and calves, so that way I dont have any, because I dont get paid for feeding, only because I have some. But I am rank 12. Id say pretty good for someone that dont have internet. Ive been abusing the forge exp system. I think its just the longer you move, so my little cousins are little XP atms. They love to wall around. Ill set them up impossible challenges. (:

I'm a huge Halo player, I reached the rank of freekin NOBLE recently on Reach. But on to Halo 4...

Alright, here's my verdict. I played through the ENTIRE Halo 4 campaign, on Heroic, in ONE NIGHT. It was decent, but I had a few problems with it.
    1. No waypoints half the time. Would it hurt to know where you're going, especially in maze-like forerunner structures? ;/
    2. The reason you're fighting elites - "a lot can change in five years." ......REALLY???
    3. The AIs did NOT get better at driving.
    4. *many other things here*

The multiplayer and forge got f**ked, so I'm not even going to talk about them. No firefight. :'(

I bought Halo CE, 2, 3, 3 ODST, Reach, even WARS, and Halo 4 was the biggest letdown of the lot. Halo Wars kicked more *ss than it did. I wasted 60 bucks and a crap load of time waiting.

Edit: The Forerunners. Garbage. Sh*t. Peices of crap. Sure the whole guns-forming-out-of-mid-air thing was cool at first, but this is HALO we're talking about. It DOESN"T EVEN FEEL LIKE HALO ANYMORE. It feels as if 343 erased Bungie's chalkboard of notes, started from complete scratch, but found very few scraps of notes along the way. Even the grunts don't have gas masks any more! D': What happened?!? Come on 343, step up your game! Oh, wait, too late.

In conclusion, if you are looking to buy Halo 4 DONT! Rent it, play throught the campaing, play some multiplayer, then decide. DONT waste your money firsthand. And unless Bungie returns for Halo's redemption, I will NOT BE BUYING ANY MORE HALO GAMES.
    Last edited by Shiny Milotic is a BOSS; 4th December 2012 at 3:26 AM.

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO EVERYONE!

Credit to SwornMetalhead for the Banner.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiny Milotic is a BOSS View Post
    I'm a huge Halo player, I reached the rank of freekin NOBLE recently on Reach. But on to Halo 4...

Alright, here's my verdict. I played through the ENTIRE Halo 4 campaign, on Heroic, in ONE NIGHT. It was decent, but I had a few problems with it.
    1. No waypoints half the time. Would it hurt to know where you're going, especially in maze-like forerunner structures? ;/
    2. The reason you're fighting elites - "a lot can change in five years." ......REALLY???
    3. The AIs did NOT get better at driving.
    4. *many other things here*

The multiplayer and forge got f**ked, so I'm not even going to talk about them. No firefight. :'(

I bought Halo CE, 2, 3, 3 ODST, Reach, even WARS, and Halo 4 was the biggest letdown of the lot. Halo Wars kicked more *ss than it did. I wasted 60 bucks and a crap load of time waiting.

Edit: The Forerunners. Garbage. Sh*t. Peices of crap. Sure the whole guns-forming-out-of-mid-air thing was cool at first, but this is HALO we're talking about. It DOESN"T EVEN FEEL LIKE HALO ANYMORE. It feels as if 343 erased Bungie's chalkboard of notes, started from complete scratch, but found very few scraps of notes along the way. Even the grunts don't have gas masks any more! D': What happened?!? Come on 343, step up your game! Oh, wait, too late.

In conclusion, if you are looking to buy Halo 4 DONT! Rent it, play throught the campaing, play some multiplayer, then decide. DONT waste your money firsthand. And unless Bungie returns for Halo's redemption, I will NOT BE BUYING ANY MORE HALO GAMES.
    I'm going to address things about the campaign...
    Halo 4's story significantly brings in the elements of the books into play. It's explained in a recent book or extra I believe. The elites are broken into factions, ones that serve the broken forerunner religion, and the rest of them. Thats why they have different armor, and why they're identifyed as the "STORM" convent. WHAT...Were you really expecting the CHIEF to have a long *** conversation about why the elitles are still fighting? The easiest and simplest answer is..."Well **** happened."

And **** happened. ._...The cheif never beats around the bush. XD

Also half of the grunts have gas masks...you just aren't looking hard enough. Its the upper grunts that have them. xD ...I'm still not sure how the forrunner weapons aren't "halo", but I digress, that ends up being opinionated.

FORGE IS THE SAME ****ING THING AS BEFORE, ONLY 3 COOL MAPS ADDED IN AND 3 NEW THINGS YOU CAN DO (along with the obvious new weapons and vechiles) If anything, THAT was basicly the same. The only thing that didn't exsist was FORGE WORLD. ._....lol

Everything else is opinionated I guess. Or rather, I feel its pointless arguing because I don't I'm gonna change your mind. I just wanted to point somethings out.

Such a sexy song. Urgh.

Quote Originally Posted by EmphaticPikachu View Post
    I'm going to address things about the campaign...
    Halo 4's story significantly brings in the elements of the books into play. It's explained in a recent book or extra I believe. The elites are broken into factions, ones that serve the broken forerunner religion, and the rest of them. Thats why they have different armor, and why they're identifyed as the "STORM" convent. WHAT...Were you really expecting the CHIEF to have a long *** conversation about why the elitles are still fighting? The easiest and simplest answer is..."Well **** happened."

And **** happened. ._...The cheif never beats around the bush. XD

Also half of the grunts have gas masks...you just aren't looking hard enough. Its the upper grunts that have them. xD ...I'm still not sure how the forrunner weapons aren't "halo", but I digress, that ends up being opinionated.

FORGE IS THE SAME ****ING THING AS BEFORE, ONLY 3 COOL MAPS ADDED IN AND 3 NEW THINGS YOU CAN DO (along with the obvious new weapons and vechiles) If anything, THAT was basicly the same. The only thing that didn't exsist was FORGE WORLD. ._....lol

Everything else is opinionated I guess. Or rather, I feel its pointless arguing because I don't I'm gonna change your mind. I just wanted to point somethings out.
    I see. Your opinion is well stated; I will give you credit. Not many (as I call them) "Halo Fan f*gs" have a good, logical reponce for my arguements.

There were some tools that were taken out in forge. Forge world was great, with many different areas and many different tools to make forging as easy as possible. Halo 4 was a bit more difficult.

And thanks for the clarification about ths storm covenant. But would it hurt 343 to explain that in the camapign?

Once again, I thank you for not cussing me out with improper grammer and crap. Not many people give me a well-thought-out answer. So again, thanks.

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO EVERYONE!

Credit to SwornMetalhead for the Banner.

I see. Your opinion is well stated; I will give you credit. Not many (as I call them) "Halo Fan f*gs" have a good, logical reponce for my arguements.

There were some tools that were taken out in forge. Forge world was great, with many different areas and many different tools to make forging as easy as possible. Halo 4 was a bit more difficult.

And thanks for the clarification about ths storm covenant. But would it hurt 343 to explain that in the camapign?

Once again, I thank you for not cussing me out with improper grammer and crap. Not many people give me a well-thought-out answer. So again, thanks.
    I'm surprised. Most of the halo fans I've talked too are well mannered about this stuff (EXCEPT ABOUT COD. DON'T MENTION COD. XD), but I digress, the internet and the world is huge. lol you're welcome...xD

May I ask which tools were taken out exactly? At first I noticed the grid of all things was gone (game breaking fun lol), but then I found out it's only available on certain maps. (since all I did in reach was use forge world when forging, I never really experimented elsewhere.). Same thing with quite a few of the tools or things to put down. Impact is very...unique to build on. I once built a long twisting down hallway of Impact special halls...Just to have a mantis or Scorpion walk/run down it. Then I came out to see my friends waiting for me down there with tanks...yeah I forged out of there REALLY quickly o.o;;;...they stared at me for a moment while in that mantis...I knew I was screwed. XD

Would it kill bungie or any halo game maker to explain half the **** that goes on during the game? seriously, if you dont' know backstory, you'll just be playing through...to play through. The main difference between this and the older halos is that it's during a time jump that still has yet to have half of the info released (I'm looking at you final forrunner trilogy book), and that the main antagonist is new. Seriously, without the books and extra stuff and terminals, how much do you REALLY know whats going on? oh ya, fight covenant! fight the flood, save humanity! Now the covenant are back, or at least parts of them, kill them! Oh look, new enemy that could possibly once again destroy us. Kill them! Does it really need to be explained during the main story? Halo's always been about hinting until revealed, whether it be by book or by future game or terminal. Remember that Cortana and chief were the main focus, despite the overall conflict being really bad.

You're welcome once more :P

The one thing I can really dislike halo for is the constant retconning that tends to go at a smaller level. Because of all this stuff, small things are changed to make more sense all the time. Its sometimes possible to confuse a retcon with something was a lie IN story. Seirously, its that bad.
    Perhaps thats a charm of it though. That mystery really is what sets it apart from call of duty and such. Not the gameplay mechanics. The main difference I notice with that is " OMIGOD. I CAN TAKE HITS INSTEAD OF DIEING AFTER FOUR BULLETS."

Not to say either way is bad, but I prefer actually being able to take something. lol
    Last edited by EmphaticPikachu; 4th December 2012 at 5:03 AM.

Such a sexy song. Urgh.

I'll simply say I'm truly sick of all the highly emotive, opinionated and self important "they changed it now it sucks!" rants about Halo 4...

But would it hurt 343 to explain that in the camapign?
    They don't explain it because that would take to long.

Please read the following.

Halo Cryptum
    Halo Primordium
    Halo Silentium
    Halo Glasslands
    Halo The Thurday War
    The Halopedia article on the Terminals.

Also, please watch Forward Unto Dawn. It's pretty neccessary to the story as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Night_Walker View Post
    I'll simply say I'm truly sick of all the highly emotive, opinionated and self important "they changed it now it sucks!" rants about Halo 4...
    If they don't have anything nice to say, then do it in the CoD thread.

This is most people. Not going to buy another halo game. Truly, this game has turned me from CoD. Yall should see on yahoo answers people are complaining about it. And the whole "halo vs. Cod" questions are hilarious. People will explain halo 4 is better, cod fans just say "CoD or BO2!"

Quote Originally Posted by Night_Walker View Post
    Me too. Though there are a few very minor changes that I don't understand the reasoning for.

-How come when I die I can't rotate the camera around my Spartan in certain game modes? In something like Spartan Ops, I'd like to look around my dead avatar to get a look at what I should deal with when I respawn. This wasn't a problem in Reach or other past titles so why take it out?
    -How come when I exit a playlist the menu selects the one below my previous choice? It shouldn't be hard to program it to remain where I selected like in every other Halo.
    -Spatan Ops. Why can I not select spawn points like in Firefight? This is a pretty big one. Mostly because the game spawns you where it pleases which can result in spawn-kill after spawn-kill on the tougher difficulty settings. That's frustrating and plain bad design.
    -Press X to respawn is broken. Well, sometimes it works, other times it's stuck on "Respawn in ...0" for 5 to 6 seconds. I get what the game's doing, balancing player spawns is important. If you want me to wait for a fair respawn then don't include that option in the game type in the first place. Having it there just to pretend to start spawning is insulting to my intelligence.
    -Subtitles. I want them in Spartan Ops episodes. Am I missing an option somewhere because I sure as hell can't find it. It's in the Campaign cutscenes so it should be in this.
    -Bad checkpointing. During Shutdown on Legendary I went from getting a checkpoint every third of a room to one every 12 seconds in the last portion. This isn't related to how fast I'm playing the game either, it was every few steps the Chief took I'd get a checkpoint regularly. No exaggeration.
    -No "Jump to appropriate lobby" for stuff like campaign challenges with skulls and the like. Why take that out?

These don't make Halo 4 a bad game, hell no. Halo 4 is great. But the little things can add up to lessen the player's experience. Adding new features is fine but adding new problems that were fixed in the previous titles? ...Not so fine.

They don't explain it because that would take to long.

Please read the following.

Halo Cryptum
    Halo Primordium
    Halo Silentium
    Halo Glasslands
    Halo The Thurday War
    The Halopedia article on the Terminals.
    No, this is not how good storytelling in a game works. Sure I understand that Halo has a vast universe filled with lore and such and I'm fine with that. That's great, more Halo stuff to dive into, yay. I haven't read up on what you've listed and I'm still in the dark on why the Covenant attack Chief in the early portion of the game. Does the reason why exist somewhere in the expanded universe? Yeah. Does that make it good storytelling if they don't tell the player? No. Now the player is confused since this seemingly conflicts with Halo 3's story and now they have no investment in WHY they're fighting the Covenant. This could have easily been fixed too. You could pick up an ID tag from an Elite and Cortana could analyze it and explain "It seems that the Covenant are attacking us because _____" There could even be a full cutscene detailing it. That would help the player identify what situation they're in and why they're fighting. That's the kind of thing that separates a good game from a "Oh you heroes must fight these three giant lizards because!"
    I also understand that a game can also choose NOT to tell the player things to impact it's storytelling. A sense of confusion and mystery can do wonders, like a "What the **** was that thing?!" moment in Silent Hill. Halo Combat Evolved actually did this. They dropped you right into the fray with the Covenant without saying much about them. But that doesn't work in Halo 4 since it directly conflicts with Halo 3's ending. One line of dialouge equivalent to "I dunno, because!" doesn't cut it.

Also, please watch Forward Unto Dawn. It's pretty neccessary to the story as well.
    Not really. I still haven't watched it yet and I understood the story just fine. Halo 4 is about Chief, Cortana, and the Forerunner. Knowing who Lasky is would be kinda cool, but not necessary.

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast