Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What do you want from the Pokemon Adventures manga?

Quote Originally Posted by Trutown View Post
    Logistics. I would love to know where the evil Teams find so many people to help them in their plans. Do they grow them, or do they all just share an insanely good human resources department?
    I wanna know just what's up with the Galactic Grunts.

Logistics. I would love to know where the evil Teams find so many people to help them in their plans. Do they grow them, or do they all just share an insanely good human resources department?
    That's something Pokemon all around (not just Special) is know for though I myself have questioned this. I'm sure the grunts have their reasons. Sadly, they're not exactly the focus.

Quote Originally Posted by matt0044 View Post
    That's something Pokemon all around (not just Special) is know for though I myself have questioned this. I'm sure the grunts have their reasons. Sadly, they're not exactly the focus.
    Well I think team Magma and Aqua can be explainable. Seeing how Archie and Maxie are, I'm sure they sweet talked their members. Pryce kinda brainwashed the leftover Team ROcket members, like team Galactic and Ghetsis just lied to the Pokemon version of PETA. Now Giovanni... maybe it's his radiation. You've seen how loyal those grunts are to him and he seriously has dignity. he praised Red for his honesty and wanted him in Team Rocket for that reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamingflower View Post
    Well I think team Magma and Aqua can be explainable. Seeing how Archie and Maxie are, I'm sure they sweet talked their members. Pryce kinda brainwashed the leftover Team ROcket members, like team Galactic and Ghetsis just lied to the Pokemon version of PETA. Now Giovanni... maybe it's his radiation. You've seen how loyal those grunts are to him and he seriously has dignity. he praised Red for his honesty and wanted him in Team Rocket for that reason.
    How do the authorities never realize that these people are amassing such large forces of people? What are the major stories that tell how they joined? Were they poor with nowhere to go, were they truly caught up in the idea of being a part of a larger cause, or were they all just taken against their wills? I mean, for Batman villains can be explained that crazy people attract other crazy people, but most of the villains here are all pretty sane (for the most part).

How do the authorities never realize that these people are amassing such large forces of people? What are the major stories that tell how they joined? Were they poor with nowhere to go, were they truly caught up in the idea of being a part of a larger cause, or were they all just taken against their wills? I mean, for Batman villains can be explained that crazy people attract other crazy people, but most of the villains here are all pretty sane (for the most part).
    Yet another one of the many mysteries of Pokemon...

Another thing that I would like to see is better character arcs. Many of the Dex Holders (specifically in the RBG through GSC arcs) either have no character arcs or don't have very good arcs at all. I have some examples below.

Red: Red's character arc is brought up at the same time that it is resolved. There is little evidence of his flaws being an issue at any time other than the first round, and it is only addressed and resolved at the last round of RBG.

Blue: Blue faces the same problem as Red. See above.

Green: She actually has a character arc that is pretty good, but it could have been addressed better. It seems that the problem of her past is what her issue is and that she must learn to move on from it. However, the idea of her facing her past is done through her facing her fear of birds. In my opinion, it shouldn't have been done that way. The struggle should have been stated outright, and the phobia she got as a result of her past should have been something she kept. Making everything about the phobia turns her struggle into "facing her fears" instead of "facing her past".

Yellow: Yellow has all of the characteristics of a Mary Sue. She has no struggle outside of finding Red in her chapter and she is a pacifist. It would be nice to see some more exploration of the differences between her personality and her powers (considering how destructive they are) but I'm not holding out any hope for that.

Silver: Silver actually has a good character arc, so I won't say much.

Gold: Gold never changes at all. He is always selfish and his "final characterization" at the end of GSC only cements this fact. Selfishness is not a good character trait and the fact that Gold thinks that that is a good part of his character is pretty bad. Good characters change and grow beyond their issues. Gold's selfishness and immaturity gets him in several bad situations, but he never learns from it. He only fights for himself and not for others.

Crystal: Like Gold, Crystal never grows as a character. What is supposed to act as her character growth in Mt. Mortor amounts to an 80's training montage without the awesome music. She never grows beyond her overly serious attitude, and the narrative acts like a no-nonsense attitude is a good thing (when in it really shouldn't). For some reason, the narrative acts like Crystal is always in the right when she and Gold have a disagreement. The narrative should instead play it straight and realize that there are pros and cons to both of their personalities and have them grow in positive directions.

Ruby: Ruby has a character arc that is pretty good. To bad the Emerald chapter forgot about it.

Sapphire: Sapphire has no character arc. As far as the narrative is concerned, Sapphire is always in the right. She never grows to see that what Ruby does is just as good as what she does and she never goes beyond her very violent and, as Ruby says, barbaric attitude. I am all for some of the better parts of feminism and all of that (in regards to seeing women as politically equal to men), but I do think there is a point where you can go too far. Sapphire is too far.

Emerald: Emerald has character development. It is stupid and contrived, but it is development none-the-less. His development is not necessary to the plot that he is apart of and it would have been much better to replace his character with someone interesting like Wally (who actually had good development in the Ruby and Sapphire arc).

Oddly enough, I don't have any complaints about the Dex Holders after Emerald. They have development and that development is necessary to the plots they are apart of.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123