Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Official Prehistory Club V2!

Hybrid View

Default Official Prehistory Club V2!

I decided to remake this, as unfortunately the first one had to be closed.

Welcome to the club! This is for lovers of all things prehistoric! From the Precambrian to the Quaternary, we've gotcha covered! Rules:

1. This is a thread for discussing things pertaining to prehistoric life (i.e. Jurassic Park and how it conflicts with REAL dinosaurs) and, of course, the Fossil Pokemon. (Pokemon like and are OK too, 'cause they're at least partially based on dinos.) Jokes and stories are OK too. If you're not entirely sure about something, PM me first.

2. No swearing.

3. Absolutely no spam.

4.If you go against the rules, you get a temporary ban. However, like in baseball, it's three strikes and you're out.

5. Have fun!

6. Always try to italicize the scientific names of animals (i.e. Tyrannosaurus rex or Kelenken). However, this rule won't be enforced as much.

----------------
    Members:
    Owner: ga'hoolefan
    Members: LordLucario21, Dragontail, T-Bolt, Elysian, RusselW, Ib4
    ----------------
    Topics for Discussion:
    How do you think the JP movies could have been improved?
    If Walking with Dinosaurs was to be remade, what new things/environments would be included?
    What new Fossil Poke's have you made up/think will be made up?
    What's your favorite prehistoric organism?
    What do you think of the feathered dinosaurs that are being described, like Yutyrannus or cute little Microraptor?

Join Form:
    [insert name here]
    Favorite Prehistoric Animal:

EX: ga'hoolefan
    This is hard... I'm going to have to go with Microraptor. I also really love Rahonavis, Utahraptor, and Leptoceratops.
    Image Credit: Jurassic Park wiki
    Last edited by ga'hoolefan; 4th November 2013 at 3:03 PM.
    Author thread post:
    http://www.serebiiforums.com/showpos...6&postcount=80
    Claims: Rampardos, Rival Silver, and Zoo Tycoon 2
    Competitive Pokemon (in training): (etc.)

I didn't know this club existed 0_o I'd like to join.

Username: LordLucario21

Favorite prehistoric animal: Ankylosaurus. Its awesome design plus its amazing defense mechanism really make it stand out in my eyes as awesome. Tyrannosaurus, Lipleurodon( I know it isnt a dinosaur), Smilodon, and Gastornis also come to mind as some of my faves.
    My FC is 1506 8504 1063

Pokemon Black team: The sixth spot is for whatever I feel like using at the time.

Looking for:

Pm me If you have any of these and I'll see if we can work something out.

My favorite Pokemon:

Shinies:

A man once told me I can't have my cake and eat it too. I then proceeded to eat not only my cake but his as well.

What if the stickers are the only things made in China?

Quote Originally Posted by LordLucario21 View Post
    I didn't know this club existed 0_o I'd like to join.

Username: LordLucario21

Favorite prehistoric animal: Ankylosaurus. Its awesome design plus its amazing defense mechanism really make it stand out in my eyes as awesome. Tyrannosaurus, Lipleurodon( I know it isnt a dinosaur), Smilodon, and Gastornis also come to mind as some of my faves.
    Hey, a member! Sorry I haven't replied. Welcome to the club!
    Author thread post:

Username: Dragontail
    Favorite prehistoric animal: Do ammonites count? If not, I like Pleisiosaurs and Pteranadons.
    Tonight, I wanna dance with someone else ~

I saw that JP was a topic of discussion in the Original post. Since JP is one of my favorite movies, I'll obviously say it did a great job with details. Although the whole amber turned into Dinosaurs bit is inaccurate, they had to find a way to bring dinosaurs to life to make the movie happen. Besides, the method that'd realistically be used would go over most watcher's heads. Some of the science is dumbed down or ignored in order to make non-dinosaur freaks enjoy it more. To actually have a discussion, I'd like to pose a question: What do you think of the recent discovery of Nyasasaurus? supposedly it's the oldest dinosaur ever to be found. I'm happy this happened because it gives us further insight into the natural history of dinosaurs and other reptiles. Here's the article I found this tidbit in:http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...e-archaeology/
    My FC is 1506 8504 1063

Pokemon Black team: The sixth spot is for whatever I feel like using at the time.

Looking for:

My favorite Pokemon:

Shinies:

A man once told me I can't have my cake and eat it too. I then proceeded to eat not only my cake but his as well.

So... I guess I am an unofficial member.

I have a topic, though!

What is your favorite era?

I love the Pleistocene Epoch, bringing with it among the first mammals.
    Tonight, I wanna dance with someone else ~

Quote Originally Posted by Dragontail View Post
    So... I guess I am an unofficial member.

I have a topic, though!

What is your favorite era?

I love the Pleistocene Epoch, bringing with it among the first mammals.
    For me, it is the Mesozoic Era, or more specifically, the Cretaceous period. The sheer diversity of life during that period is astounding, and the fact that reptiles ruled the world is amazing to me. Btw, the mammals started to appear around the Jurassic Period iirc.
    My FC is 1506 8504 1063

Looking for:

My favorite Pokemon:

Shinies:

For me, it is the Mesozoic Era, or more specifically, the Cretaceous period. The sheer diversity of life during that period is astounding, and the fact that reptiles ruled the world is amazing to me. Btw, the mammals started to appear around the Jurassic Period iirc.
    Jurassic? I thought it was the late Triassic. Anyway-

T-Bolt
    Favorite prehistoric animal: I don't know, I've never regarded any one as a favourite. Though if I had to choose one I'd say Baryonyx.

Hello, everyone. I apologize for my absence from my own club, but I 'm back now. Once I can get to a computer, I'll accept everyone. Anyhow, my cavorite era has to be the Mesozoic as well. I just really like all of the life-forms that exusted then and how they relate to animals today.
    Author thread post:

Username: Elysian
    Favorite Prehistoric Animal: Gosh, I don't know... there are so many to like. But when I was younger, my absolute favourite was Torosaurus

My knowledge on this topic is very limited, as my Dinosaur occupation gradually faded away over time, but hopefully, I'll learn some new stuff, and freshen up my memory

Quote Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
    Username: Elysian
    Favorite Prehistoric Animal: Gosh, I don't know... there are so many to like. But when I was younger, my absolute favourite was Torosaurus

My knowledge on this topic is very limited, as my Dinosaur occupation gradually faded away over time, but hopefully, I'll learn some new stuff, and freshen up my memory
    Welcome, Elysian, as well as everyone else! You are all members now! Anyhow, in response to the above post, as well as a new topic to discuss, what is your opinion on the Torosaurus and Triceratops debate? I'm thinking that Torosaurus is just a mature Triceratops, but I'm on the fence, and my opinion can be changed. What do you think?
    Author thread post:

Quote Originally Posted by ga'hoolefan View Post
    Welcome, Elysian, as well as everyone else! You are all members now! Anyhow, in response to the above post, as well as a new topic to discuss, what is your opinion on the Torosaurus and Triceratops debate? I'm thinking that Torosaurus is just a mature Triceratops, but I'm on the fence, and my opinion can be changed. What do you think?
    I think that they are realted in that way too. After doing some reasearch, it seems very reasonable that Torosaurus is a mature version of Triceratops. I mean, they ate the same things, lived during the same time and in the same place. Also, the evidence of development in Triceratops really pushes that point even further.
    My FC is 1506 8504 1063

Looking for:

My favorite Pokemon:

Shinies:

I think that they are realted in that way too. After doing some reasearch, it seems very reasonable that Torosaurus is a mature version of Triceratops. I mean, they ate the same things, lived during the same time and in the same place. Also, the evidence of development in Triceratops really pushes that point even further.
    Precisely! Fossils like "Nedoceratops" just further prove the point, as they are just Triceratops with holes in their frills, similar to Torosaurus (and all other ceratopsians).
    Author thread post:

Quote Originally Posted by ga'hoolefan View Post
    Precisely! Fossils like "Nedoceratops" just further prove the point, as they are just Triceratops with holes in their frills, similar to Torosaurus (and all other ceratopsians).
    This is why I love Paleontology. The fact that it can change so quickly and surprisingly makes it an interesting field to pursue. I mean, hell, as more avian/dinosaurian fossils are found, Archaeopteryx's impact is decreasing iirc. Hell, they discovered that crocidyloforms feasted on young ornithischian dinosaurs.
    My FC is 1506 8504 1063

Looking for:

My favorite Pokemon:

Shinies:

You know what I find amazing? The fact that Ankylosaurus, one of the most recognizable dinosaurs and one that has its own group named after it, and my personal favorite dinosaur, has a not-so-great fossil record compared to its relatives. I mean, we don't even have a complete skeleton of it. That's shocking, since its first fossil was found over 100 years ago, you'd think we'd have a ton of fossils of it, but no.
    My FC is 1506 8504 1063

Looking for:

My favorite Pokemon:

Shinies:

You'd be surprised how patchy the fossil record can be. It's not at all like the opening to the first JP film. On a related note, tomorrow is Velociraptor Awareness Day.

That is one of the coolest things I've heard all day. (Besides the Nintendo Direct stuff) As we all know, Velociraptors are "clever girls" ( That line is so awesome.) If anything, I think Velociraptors are the most effective non-human predators ever. The reason why I want to go into Paleontology is because of the patchy record. It opens up so many possibilities for new discoveries. I mean, they discover new things practically every week. Though that might be a bit of a stretch. :P
    My FC is 1506 8504 1063

Looking for:

My favorite Pokemon:

Shinies:

That is one of the coolest things I've heard all day. (Besides the Nintendo Direct stuff) As we all know, Velociraptors are "clever girls" ( That line is so awesome.) If anything, I think Velociraptors are the most effective non-human predators ever. The reason why I want to go into Paleontology is because of the patchy record. It opens up so many possibilities for new discoveries. I mean, they discover new things practically every week. Though that might be a bit of a stretch. :P
    Thatonce a week remark might notbe too far off the mark, but new papers need to be proofread, peer-reviewed, etc.,so it can take a while to publish a new find.
    Author thread post:

Sorry I haven't really been active. I've had a lot to do lately.

Anyway, I came across an article on Wikipedia that I found interesting. I don't know if you guys already know about it though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amphicoelias

It's about Amphicoelias, what may be the largest dinosaur ever discovered! But It's usually disregarded because the fossils don't exist anymore, because of the poor preservation methods at the time it was discovered.
    Last edited by T-Bolt; 18th April 2013 at 5:23 PM. Reason: italicizing

Username: RussellW.
    Favorite Prehistoric Animal: My English teacher! Nah, just kidding. In seriousness, it would have to be Utahraptor.

99% of teens like 1 directon... put this in ur sig if you dont (started by blazeing man)

(Sorry I haven't been on as much. Summer was abnormally busy for me.)

New member approved, and joke appreciated. (Utahraptor was an awesome dino, and my second favorite.)

Speaking of the 'raptors, people insisting that they look way cooler without feathers is starting to get on my nerves a bit. As we (should) know in this club, many types of theropods had feathers. I was wondering what side you guys are on in this. My opinion: Feathered dinos are way scary. Just look at this: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...mmartyniuk.png

As for Amphicoelias, I have definitely heard of it, as well as read about it. From what I recall, estimates of its size range from 130 to 190 feet (about 40-57 meters), making it the largest dinosaur and the largest animal ever to walk on land.

http://www.peta.org/b/thepetafiles/a...t-so-much.aspx (This too. PETA, "some theropods" does not mean "all theropods.")
    Author thread post:

(Sorry I haven't been on as much. Summer was abnormally busy for me.)

New member approved, and joke appreciated. (Utahraptor was an awesome dino, and my second favorite.)

Speaking of the 'raptors, people insisting that they look way cooler without feathers is starting to get on my nerves a bit. As we (should) know in this club, many types of theropods had feathers. I was wondering what side you guys are on in this. My opinion: Feathered dinos are way scary. Just look at this: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...mmartyniuk.png

As for Amphicoelias, I have definitely heard of it, as well as read about it. From what I recall, estimates of its size range from 130 to 190 feet (about 40-57 meters), making it the largest dinosaur and the largest animal ever to walk on land.

http://www.peta.org/b/thepetafiles/a...t-so-much.aspx (This too. PETA, "some theropods" does not mean "all theropods.")
    Not buying the vegetarian therapod thing lol. Why would they evolve sharp teeth if they were herbivorous?

Also, did you hear that T-Rex was proven to be a predator?

Credit to Ayra for the profile pic.
    ASB squad- http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthr...0#post16972170
    I have claimed Kabutops, destroyer of all! Fear me or perish!

Quote Originally Posted by T-Bolt View Post
    Not buying the vegetarian therapod thing lol. Why would they evolve sharp teeth if they were herbivorous?

Also, did you hear that T-Rex was proven to be a predator?
    Well, SOME theropods (for example, the oviraptorosaurs, therizinosaurs, etc.) actually did evolve to be herbivorous, or at least omnivorous.

Also, if I recall correctly, there was never any doubt about Tyrannosaurus being a predator. The only one who actually thought otherwise was John Horner. Besides, it's extremely likely that T. rex was a scavenger as well as a hunter, because opportunistic hunting happens quite a bit today, and there's no reason why the tyrannosaurs would pass up a free meal.
    Author thread post:

sorry, I've been inactive, got school and stuff, and though I was active on the forums, I barely surfed for more than a few minutes or so, and I kind of forgot about the club too, soo......

Anyway, would do you think about the two new fossil pokemon lines? Personally, I was kind of disppointed with the T-rex final evo. I thought the sauropod looked familiar with the sail-like structures on its neck, so, perhaps it's based of Amargasaurus?

Credit to Ayra for the profile pic.
    ASB squad- http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthr...0#post16972170
    I have claimed Kabutops, destroyer of all! Fear me or perish!

Quote Originally Posted by T-Bolt View Post
    sorry, I've been inactive, got school and stuff, and though I was active on the forums, I barely surfed for more than a few minutes or so, and I kind of forgot about the club too, soo......

Anyway, would do you think about the two new fossil pokemon lines? Personally, I was kind of disppointed with the T-rex final evo. I thought the sauropod looked familiar with the sail-like structures on its neck, so, perhaps it's based of Amargasaurus?
    It is indeed an Amargasaurus. Its name, Aurorus, kind of gave it away. Its ability should be interesting, though its typing won't make it popular online. Regarding the new tyrannosaur, I have to say I'm impressed. It's probably my new favorite Pokemon, at least design-wise, and through my (ongoing) revisions of my X and Y team, it always was on the list. What can I say? I'm a sucker for theropods! :P

Edit: Woohoo, two pages!
    Last edited by ga'hoolefan; 11th October 2013 at 7:53 AM.
    Author thread post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast