Thread: Latios (Uber Edition)

Default Latios (Uber Edition)

80 HP / 90 Atk / 80 Def / 130 SpA / 110 SpD / 110 Spe
    (potentially useful moves are bolded)
        Spoiler:- Level Up Moves:

Spoiler:- TM and HMs:

Spoiler:- Move Tutors:

Guess who got their favorite item back! Thanks to BW2, Latios gets back Soul Dew and with it, it again becomes a Pokemon that can threaten the entire metagame. It even gains Psyshock, meaning that it can get through Pokemon such as Blissey and Chansey. Soul Dew, 130 Special Attack and 110 Special Defense(which only get better due to Soul Dew) and blistering 110 Speed, Latios, along with Latias, will leave a mark in the Ubers Metagame.

Despite his great power, Latios is not perfect. His typing afflicts him with weaknesses to common Uber attacking types such as Ghost, Dark, Dragon, and Ice-type attacks. That Dark-type weakness makes him vulnerable to Pursuit, meaning that he is easily removed by trappers such as Tyranitar. Furthermore, he has to compete with Latias often for a team slot, as his sister is usually easier to fit in a team thanks to her superior bulk.

So what sets can this dragon possibly run? Will it put Arceus-Psychic and Dragon's Calm Mind sets out of business? What impact will it have on the metagame? What roles does it fill best? What outclasses it? Are sets from gen 4 still as effective as they used to be? Will this thing suffer from 4MSS? Discuss anything you want but remember to always enjoy the discussion! (so long as they're in the Uber rules)

Sets- Well, thats why we have discussion huh?

I chase the dream, not the competition.

max hit points and speed soul dew
    timid
    -recover
    -cm
    -dragon pulse
    -hp fighting/hp fire/hp ground
    Sig edited due to exceeding height limit. Read the signature rules before editing your signature.

Special Attacker
    Item: Soul Dew
    Nature: Timid
    EVs:
    - Draco Meteor
    - Psyshock
    - Thunder
    - Surf

This is probably the set that will be used in Ubers most of the time. With Soul Dew, Latios essentially gets a Calm Mind boost automatically, meaning Kyogre is no longer safe against Latios, as it is 2HKO'd by Thunder or Grass Knot (both have the same power against Kyogre), while Kyogre must have Choice Specs to OHKO.
    DW Pokemon I can offer:

Quote Originally Posted by MatchMaster View Post
    Special Attacker
    Item: Soul Dew
    Nature: Timid
    EVs:
    - Draco Meteor
    - Psyshock
    - Thunder
    - Surf

This is probably the set that will be used in Ubers most of the time. With Soul Dew, Latios essentially gets a Calm Mind boost automatically, meaning Kyogre is no longer safe against Latios, as it is 2HKO'd by Thunder or Grass Knot (both have the same power against Kyogre), while Kyogre must have Choice Specs to OHKO.
    I would say that Ice Beam is much more relevant in Ubers due to the fact that the dragon and flying infested tier all hate Ice Beam.

To be honest, Latios with Soul Dew is a really great thing to have back. The fact that you outspeed a good portion of Ubers as well as a movepool that can deal neutral damage to every Pokemon in the metagame is really good. Furthermore, the jacked Special Defense will definitely allow it leverage against faster things such as Mewtwo, Deoxys, and Darkrai, all of which are killed by Draco Meteor. For example.

vs. Mewtwo
    252SpAtk Life Orb Unnerve Mewtwo (+SAtk) Ice Beam vs 4HP/0SpDef Soul Dew Levitate Latios (Neutral): 67% - 80% (204 - 244 HP). Guaranteed 2HKO.
    252SpAtk Soul Dew Latios (Neutral) Draco Meteor vs 4HP/0SpDef Soul Dew Mewtwo (Neutral): 105% - 124% (373 - 441 HP). Guaranteed OHKO.

vs. Darkrai
    252SpAtk Life Orb Darkrai (Neutral) Dark Pulse vs 4HP/0SpDef Soul Dew Levitate Latios (Neutral): 71% - 84% (216 - 254 HP). Guaranteed 2HKO.
    252SpAtk Soul Dew Latios (Neutral) Draco Meteor vs 4HP/0SpDef Soul Dew Darkrai (Neutral): 132% - 156% (373 - 441 HP). Guaranteed OHKO

vs. Deoxys-S
    252SpAtk Life Orb Unnerve Mewtwo (+SAtk) Ice Beam vs 4HP/0SpDef Soul Dew Levitate Latios (Neutral): 67% - 80% (204 - 244 HP). Guaranteed 2HKO.
    252SpAtk Soul Dew Latios (Neutral) Draco Meteor vs 4HP/0SpDef Soul Dew Deoxys (Neutral): 438% - 516% (1062 - 1251 HP). Guaranteed OHKO. (lol)

vs. ScarfKyogre
    252SpAtk Kyogre (Neutral) Water Spout in Rain vs 4HP/0SpDef Soul Dew Levitate Latios (Neutral): 41% - 49% (126 - 148 HP). Guaranteed 3HKO.
    252SpAtk Soul Dew Latios (Neutral) Draco Meteor vs 4HP/0SpDef Soul Dew Kyogre (Neutral): 74% - 88% (256 - 303 HP). Guaranteed 2HKO.
    252SpAtk Soul Dew Latios (Neutral) Thunder vs 4HP/0SpDef Kyogre (Neutral): 85% - 101% (294 - 346 HP). Guaranteed 2HKO. 7% chance to OHKO.

Maybe I'm overhyping him a bit, but he's undoubtedly a great addition to the tier as a fast, bulky sweeper who can also break walls.
    Join the Tutor Program. Started by JRCxyz & Salavoir

[In Clan Memoriam]
    RIP Battling Academy, even though I just joined.
    Memories are eternal.

RIP Toothpaste Clan. You kept my teeth clean.
    Dental hygiene is eternal.

RIP Survival Island. Global warming drowned us all.
    Survival isn't eternal

Quote Originally Posted by Eaglehawk View Post
    I would say that Ice Beam is much more relevant in Ubers due to the fact that the dragon and flying infested tier all hate Ice Beam.
    But all Dragon-type Pokémon are already destroyed by Latios's Dragon-type move anyway, and Thunder already hits Lugia and Ho-Oh.

Anyway, this is my favorite moveset for Latios, which I included in a team I used to use::

Uriel (Latios) (M) @ Soul Dew
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
    - Draco Meteor
    - Hidden Power [Fire]
    - Psyshock
    - Thunder

To me, Hidden Power [Fire] should always be used on Latios, regardless of whether this Pokémon is in a rain or Sun team, since it is Latios's best option against Ferrothorn even in the rain (Hidden Power [Fighting] does the same amount of damage to Ferrothorn in that weather, but since Hidden Power [Fire] has the potential to do more damage in other weathers, why not use it instead?), as not having this move is basically a free invitation for Ferrothorn to easily come in and set up entry hazards or use Leech Seed or status moves, something which is extremely detrimental from my experience.
    This is a battle. Of course it's gonna be unfair. That which is called 'battle' was a monster originally born of unfairness and intolerance. I can't stand that guy. I can beat that guy. I can't forgive that guy. We make enemies for all sorts of reasons, and from the moment you make an enemy, until one of you draws his last breath - you're in a battle.

Music

I remember Ice Beam being mentioned in a Smogon as not being worth the moveslot, since Dragon Pulse and Draco Meteor already provide the same coverage for about the same damage, and Thunder already hits Ho-Oh and Lugia for more damage.
    DW Pokemon I can offer:

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosts of the Forums View Post
    max hit points and speed soul dew
    timid
    -recover
    -cm
    -dragon pulse
    -hp fighting/hp fire/hp ground
    I know that in OU, Latias is usually the better calm mind user. Is this different in Ubers?

No, it isn't.
    This is a battle. Of course it's gonna be unfair. That which is called 'battle' was a monster originally born of unfairness and intolerance. I can't stand that guy. I can beat that guy. I can't forgive that guy. We make enemies for all sorts of reasons, and from the moment you make an enemy, until one of you draws his last breath - you're in a battle.

Music

i really like Pokemon Trainer R's latios set. i was actually going to suggest it myself. its basically latios' choice specs set, but with the ability to switch items.