Thread: The roles of Ash's starters in the anime.

Default The roles of Ash's starters in the anime.

As we know, from the start, Ash has always gotten atleast one of the starter Pokémon for each of the regions he has been to. He got all of the starters in Kanto, Johto and Unova, 2 of the starters in Sinnoh and one of the starters in Hoenn. I seem to also notice that the roles that each type of starters plays is pretty much the same.

Ash's Fire Starters for the most part have always been his strongest. These are the starters Ash looks to whenever he is in a deep hole during a battle. Johto is the most debatable in this because Bayleef actually did hold her own and some could say she was stronger than Cyndaquil but the fact of the matter is Cyndaquil was still used in 6 of the 8 gyms. Usually his starters are also abandoned by their previous owners because they are seen as weak and of course by the end of the saga, they all proved that they were powerhouses. Again, Cyndaquil is the exception. But it always seems that for the most part, Ash's Fire Starters are the strongest Pokémon he has in their respective regions. People call Charizard his strongest Kanto Pokémon, people say Quilava is potentially Ash's strongest Johto Pokémon with really only Bayleef and Heracross coming close. A lot of people say Infernape is Ash's strongest Sinnoh Pokémon and a lot of people say that Pignite is either his strongest or second strongest Unova Pokémon.

Ash's grass starters have always been the cool, calm and collected of the group. They are the mature ones. They can hold their own in battle and they are always seen as somewhat of a peacemaker of the group. They may not be stronger than the Fire Type (with the exception of maybe Sceptile who was able to draw with May's Blaziken) but they are often seen as the second strongest. With the exception of maybe Bayleef who had more of a fun personality, Ash's grass types for the most part were laid back and acted as the older sibling of Ash's Pokémon family.

Then you have Ash's Water Starter Pokémon. Also known as the comic relief Pokémon. They are the outgoing, fun ones. They are often troublemakers and often need to be kept in line but they are extremely entertaining to watch and are popular because of this. These Water Starters never evolve on Ash's team and are often seen as weaker than the grass and fire types.

So my question to you is do you like the roles each of the starters play or do you think that in Generation 6, they should switch the roles around a bit? Like having the water starter be the fully evolved powerhouse, letting the grass starters be the comic relief and having the fire starters be the older sibling of the group. Share you thoughts!

Krookodile is Ash's strongest Pokemon in Unova besides Pikachu, he's got Stone Edge, Dig, and Aerial Ace to smash Pignite down into the ground worse than what Samurott did.

Now that I got that off my back, I enjoy the way the starters have been treated with their roles. Oshawott, Totodile, and Squirtle are some of the funniest and coolest characters I'v ever seen in an anime which is why I like them so much. I like the fire types because they always make a battle exciting or more exciting than it already is. There hasn't been a battle with Infernape, Charizard, or Quilava that I'v seen that made me go "Gah wtf is this?", Pignite has however. The grass type starter role is most definitely my favorite because I like it when Ash's cool Pokemon lean back in the shade smoking a pipe, it just makes them seem badass.

Sceptile, as of now, will remain my favorite of Ash's starters because all of his battles, even as a Treecko, were awesome and in my opinion, even counting Charizard, Bulbasaur, Pikachu, and Infernape, HE is the older brother of Ash's team, and his personality screams that.

Pignite - Power god.
    Oshawott - Comedic weak battler.
    Snivy - Average battler, nothing special.

Shame really. They all had so much potential.

His starters can be grouped into 3 categories

The stage 1s- Which include his basic starters who all refuse to evolve due to a horrible case of plushieitis. They have obscene amounts of plot armor and extreme unrealistic battles as well as a disproportionate amount of battles and screentime compared to the others waved aside because Ash "trained them" and they "have experience" and "it's a children's show they need to make the merch look good"

The Stage 2s- Which there are only 3 Quilava, Pignite, and Bayleef. These are his middle of the road starters, they receive more justified wins and a far more realistic amount of stamina and endurance. Usually has some semblance of personality but is seen far less often than the other 2 categories due to the fact that most of these evolve/aren't as cute as the stage 1s.

Finally we have the stage 3s(even though Torterra does not deserve to be in this group I'll include him)- Large powerhouse pokemon that are almost always the stars of any of Ash's team. Has fought many battles to finally reach the point. At this point they all have massive amounts of strength, endurance and experience and pretty much all of their wins can be justified. Seen somewhat often after evolution but usually only during battles as the writers think using an infernape or Sceptile to solve the problems of a COTD would be overkill. Receive slightly more merch than the middle starters for looking cool and being powerful, usually has a good reputation and much deserved glory.

The role of Ash's starters in the anime are to be money making *****s for the writers.
    Proud claimer of Cyndaquil and Ezio Auditore from Assassin's Creed !!
    Also proud claimer of Assassin's Creed 2 the game!!
    Just became the proud claimer of the Marvel's Agent's of S.H.I.E.L.D. TV show ^_^!!!

I really want the 6th gen water starter(if he gets one) to be his power house or at least just evolve. Let someone else be the comic relief, Ash only has Kingler and possibly Seismitoad in the future for fully evolved waters. Now, I'd be fine with this if he actually bothered to ever use Kingler because he's one of my all time favourites and I'd fully accept him as the Water Poke if an "all star team" was ever formed. But that's pretty unlikely.
    Might as well link my Deviantart gallery, I mainly do Pokemon related stuff, maybe something'll catch your interest.:] http://rohanite.deviantart.com/gallery/

Ash vs Korrina Alternate Ending Comic: http://rohanite.tumblr.com/post/8546...e-with-korrina

This is Turtwig, he was the most under appreciated starter in Diamond & Pearl. If you picked Turtwig as your starter, put this in your sig. Started by Dax-360

The question I'm most interested in is what's going to become of the starters during the N saga, hopefully now the main part of Unova is over we can have a couple more evolutions and moves.

Quote Originally Posted by Haunter227 View Post
    Pignite - Power god.
    Oshawott - Comedic weak battler.
    As I asked a few days ago in another thread: How is Oshawott a weak battler compared to Pignite? I pointed out that he had a higher win percentage than Pignite until the Unova League, but it seems my receipts were overlooked. I'm surprised that just because Pignite won two battles against Kotetsu, he's suddenly considered to be a top-tier battler. :x

Quote Originally Posted by Ciccone View Post
    As I asked a few days ago in another thread: How is Oshawott a weak battler compared to Pignite? I pointed out that he had a higher win percentage than Pignite until the Unova League, but it seems my receipts were overlooked. I'm surprised that just because Pignite won two battles against Kotetsu, he's suddenly considered to be a top-tier battler. :x
    Tepig was weak and that brought down his record. As a pignite it got better treatment.

It's not really about a win-loss ratio, more like Pignite battling more and proving to be really strong most of the time, some of Oshawott's showings are just weird. Like never beating a Fire type(although losing to a veteran Darmanitan and a Gym leaders Pansear with Solar Beam really isn't shameful) Oshawott definitely isn't weak though, he did some work against a Hydreigon.
    Last edited by Rohanator; 21st December 2012 at 1:13 AM.
    Might as well link my Deviantart gallery, I mainly do Pokemon related stuff, maybe something'll catch your interest.:] http://rohanite.deviantart.com/gallery/

Ash vs Korrina Alternate Ending Comic: http://rohanite.tumblr.com/post/8546...e-with-korrina

This is Turtwig, he was the most under appreciated starter in Diamond & Pearl. If you picked Turtwig as your starter, put this in your sig. Started by Dax-360

I don't know. I kind of think when people judge Pokémon. They do it based on what that Pokémon has done recently and being 1 of only 3 Pokémon to get a win against Roxie as well as being one of only 2 Pokémon to get a win against Kotetsu really made people admire it. In addition to that, he got a win against Brycen and of course, he beat Shamus. All of that was recent. Besides his loss against Trip's powerful Serperior, he has actually done quite well as a Pignite and people sort of forget his performance as Tepig. It's kind of like with Torterra. People thought he was great as a Turtwig but people tend to judge Torterra based on his battles as a Torterra and that's why people think he needs redemption.

I never noticed you're post, sorry.

It's not Oshawott being compared with Pignite at all. It's the fact that Oshawott has been a weak battler from the start. Tepig was quite weak, but upon evolving into Pignite has received countless wins in battles. Not just against Kotetsu. Against Brycen and Roxie too.

Pignite - The hardcore battler, the second go to guy.
    Oshawott - The non-evolving, entertaining money maker.
    Snivy - The.. wait, what is her actual purpose?

Poor Snivy, she's my favourite and she doesn't even have a decent status within the anime
    OR Playthrough - Route 118

This won't change often.. I play through the games slowly..

Quote Originally Posted by ShinyCharyZard View Post
    Pignite - The hardcore battler, the second go to guy.
    Oshawott - The non-evolving, entertaining money maker.
    Snivy - The.. wait, what is her actual purpose?

Poor Snivy, she's my favourite and she doesn't even have a decent status within the anime
    To fulfill the role of the group ***** and secondary moneymaker.

Quote Originally Posted by pokemonsquared View Post
    To fulfill the role of the group *****
    That's Unfezent's role xD
    IGN: Carlos
    FC: 0903-2783-6541

[CENTER]SIGNATURE SOON...[/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by nuzamaki90 View Post
    -snip-.
    I agree with what you said. I'm actually disappointed in the fire and water sections. I actually hope that he only gets 2 or 1 of the starters int he next region, but for now. I still hope Oshawott evolves in August.

Quote Originally Posted by _Taidow_ View Post
    I agree with what you said. I'm actually disappointed in the fire and water sections. I actually hope that he only gets 2 or 1 of the starters int he next region, but for now. I still hope Oshawott evolves in August.
    Oshawott is never going to evolve. It's obvious it's just there to be a "funny" little butt-Monkey.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Aker View Post
    Oshawott is never going to evolve. It's obvious it's just there to be a "funny" little butt-Monkey.
    Which is why I'm worried Burgundy won't evolve either

Quote Originally Posted by Pokemaniac24 View Post
    Which is why I'm worried Burgundy won't evolve either
    The day Burgundy evolves into a B class sommelier is the day Kotetsu grows a brain.

Well, Middle Starters are my faviourite, especially Ivysaur, Grotle, Wartortle, Grovyle, Servine, Dewott and Quilava. I don't like Pignite, Prinplup or Combusken, though.
    It makes me sad to know that Pignite, Prinplup and Combusken starred more than the other Middle evolutions.
    Last edited by blob; 21st December 2012 at 10:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by blob View Post
    Well, Middle Starters are my favourite, especially Ivysaur, Grotle, Wartortle, Grovyle, Servine, Dewott and Quilava. I don't like Pignite, Prinplup or Combusken, though.
    Same here, and middle stages are a good balance between power and cuteness IMO.
    MY MAIN FANFICS

Super Smash Bros Clash: 6 chapters, ongoing | Pokémon Best Wishes Reloaded: 3 episodes, ongoing

Check out my little sprite gallery by clicking here!

Not sure about random battles, but Pignite does have a better record in gyms compared to Oshawott (considering rematches as well).

• Tepig/Pignite - 5 gyms, star in 1 (fought 8 pokemons - 4 wins, 4 loss)
    Note: Appeared in 3 gyms as Tepig and 2 gym as Pignite.

• Oshawott - 3 gyms, star in 1 (fought 5 pokemons - 2 wins, 2 loss, 1 draw)

Unlike Oshawott, Pignite got the chance to take part in an official tournament, where it ended up losing though.

Since i didn't read your post in which you explained your reasoning as to why Oshawott had a better record. I can't answer you properly.

But it seems to me that Pignite does have a better record than Oshawott (or Snivy), in the BW saga until now. Also taking into account percentages here won't work as both of them didn't fight equal number of pokemons.

Thats because if we take into account percentages, then Leavanny and Unfezant becomes the best pokemon in Ash's Unova Team with there 3:2 and 2:1 record in the gyms (Pikachu has a 5:2 win-loss record in Unova gyms).

For example, lets say one pokemon had battled 10 pokemons and won 10 times, and another pokemon had battled 50 times but won only 25 times. This would give the first pokemon a 100% win ratio, where as the other one gets only 50% win ratio, even-though it had fought 5x more and won against 2.5x times more opponents.

Now tell me, does this look ok to you.
    Last edited by Lucario At Service; 21st December 2012 at 10:26 PM.