Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: With S.Korea rising, Japan losing its edge. How will Japanophiles or otakus react?

Default With S.Korea rising, Japan losing its edge. How will Japanophiles or otakus react?

This year it was become very apparent that as far as media and consumer products go South Korea is quickly surpassing Japan. The Gangnam Style phenomenon is the most significant result of the steady popularity reached by Korean media which has gained the attention of the world from its kpop and kdramas productions. And naturally Korean companies and creative types will want to expand their influence into other venues.

On the other hand, the usual staples of Japanese mainstream culture: anime, video games, jpop has been declining in popularity, and in several cases quality. Making thing worse has been the 2011 tsunami/earthquake which caused the Fukashima disaster. Creativity and culture in Japan might have suffered a blow as national safety takes precedence. In addition, its loss of market share in electronic products. Samsung is huge while Sony is losing billions each year.

Due to these developments, will most Western fans (casuals to otakus) of Japanese culture slowly start to change their interest to Korea when it becomes the "it" Far East nation. Or will they put very little interest to Korean originated products, and maybe even show some resentment. It has to made clear that both countries are very competitive with each other and have several conflicts, so it's not easy to be mutually supportive of both.

The same way weeaboos react to everything: poorly, and with a demonstrable lack of maturity.
    Last edited by GrizzlyB; 17th November 2012 at 5:30 AM.

I imagine they'll probably curl up into the fetal position with their tear-soaked manga and listen to jpop songs on repeat.

I do think that this is true, but it's been happening much further back than this past year.

A good example is the rise of Nexon in non-Asian countries over the past seven or so years. From the near-beginning, I was a fan of MapleStory (one of their flagship franchises) and watched the company gain ground as they released more and more of their products across the ocean. Nexon has gained so much steam that they easily overshadow the majority of studios from Japan. It's not the best example, but it is an example of how Korean companies are picking up.

Samsung is a great example, too. Samsung is picking up steam because they are putting out quality products and are backing them with great advertising campaigns. I've never owned a Samsung smartphone, but I could probably name 90% of their mobile product line from memory. I had to use Google just to see IF Sony ever released a smartphone. Korean companies are coming over because they know what audience wants and can successfully compete.

Now, I have seen a bit of collaboration between Japanese and Korean companies. Again, going back to Nexon and MapleStory, they released an anime series exclusive to Japan and they had to work with Madhouse Studios (a Japanese production company) to make that happen.
    Last edited by Flintoff Cypress; 17th November 2012 at 8:17 PM.
    Human beings are not otters!

I don't like J/K-Pop music or MMO's so this barely effects me.

Now if Korea was importing a lot of Animation pr non-online video games, I would probably be jumping down to try it. I am certainly open to trying Korean rock bands as well. (but I don't know any)

They do have manhwa. What I've read of it was okay. There is probably some good stuff out there but I haven't found any yet. It doesn't seem to be all that popular here.

Am I supposed to care which East Asian country is the coolest ? Because I really don't.

Watch me tumble stuff:
    http://catharsiscat.tumblr.com/

Hey, I'm just as big of a fan of Japan as any weeaboo (except I care more about culture and tradition, not manga and anime), and I find the expansion of South Korea into mainstream social media as a great thing! I myself listen to K-Pop all of the time now. I started with Gangnam Style, then branched to Hyun-a, then 4minute, then Trouble Maker, Super Junior, Shinee, Girl's Generation, etc., and what I have concluded is that while South Korea has its charms, Japan still maintains many of its own: food, culture, technological development, and many other aspects. South Korea is appealing because of its music industry, its hardworking citizens, and, I'm sure, many other characteristics that I do not know about. One is not necessarily better than the other, but being exposed to both is what America needs to get off its high horse and adapt to the changing world on the other side of the Pacific.
    "Your memories are connected, like links in a chain. Those same chains are what anchor us all together."
    -Naminé

Pokemon X Team - French Playthrough
    *COMPLETE*
    Amphinobi | Noctali | Mentali | Farfaduvet | Darumacho | Carchakrok
    3DS FC: 0430 - 9679 - 6068
    IGN: Micah
    Friend Safari Type: Fire
    Friend Safari Pokemon: Magmar, Ninetales, Charmeleon

Spoiler:- Credits, etc.:

Imo real otakus will stick close by their anime/manga. Anyone who's not dedicated enough is probably 14 years of age.

I say we get rid of slang now! Oh God...NO! IT'S COMING!
        Spoiler:- 3DS friend-code:

Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyB View Post
    The same way weeaboos react to everything: poorly, and with a demonstrable lack of maturity.
    This, probably.

Even though it really doesn't matter. I hate the idea of "it" countries in general, because the country something comes from has zero impact on its quality.

One is not necessarily better than the other, but being exposed to both is what America needs to get off its high horse and adapt to the changing world on the other side of the Pacific.
    Most Americans I know, both IRL and on the Internet, are basically this (look under the US tab). It's been happening among the people, as far as I can tell.

Quote Originally Posted by ParaChomp View Post
    I say we get rid of slang now! Oh God...NO! IT'S COMING!
    xD Lol, okay.

I'm indifferent to things coming out of South Korea as of this writing. Like with Japan and China, anything coming out from those countries is the same thing: they're Eastern, whether it's Eastern animation, literature, music, et cetera. Is it good to broaden interests? Yes, but there's nothing wrong with staying content with what one's familiar with. If someone would recommend good K-pop artists (not that I listen to a lot of J-pop outside of songs from anime to begin with), or manhwa to me, and gets me interested in it, then fine.

I don't consider myself an otaku, so I don't see how this'll affect me in any way. Even if I was, I don't think it would've made a world of difference outside of a different language if I were to watch/listen to the original Korean.
    Winner of Best Pokémon/Pokémon Fic of 2013 in the Shipping Oscars
    Current Chapter: Chapter Ten - 3/17/14 / Current: Requiem I - 11/17/14 - Chapter 21 progress: 66%
    I survived Pupa.

Quote Originally Posted by Kutie Pie View Post
    xD Lol, okay.
    I'm talking about this. More confusion, more hardcore fans getting FURIOUS at those other guys for no good reason. I'm scared, hide me.

Quote Originally Posted by Kutie Pie View Post
    I don't consider myself an otaku, so I don't see how this'll affect me in any way. Even if I was, I don't think it would've made a world of difference outside of a different language if I were to watch/listen to the original Korean.
    Me neither, my taste for Japanese media has gone down the drain as of recently but if something good comes out of Korea, we'll see what happens but I doubt it will spark any interest in me. At least the Japanese are still producing some good games (my main hobby).

Also, urge to bring up the north...

Quote Originally Posted by DiamondClass View Post
    On the other hand, the usual staples of Japanese mainstream culture: anime, video games, jpop has been declining in popularity, and in several cases quality. Making thing worse has been the 2011 tsunami/earthquake which caused the Fukashima disaster. Creativity and culture in Japan might have suffered a blow as national safety takes precedence. In addition, its loss of market share in electronic products. Samsung is huge while Sony is losing billions each year.

Due to these developments, will most Western fans (casuals to otakus) of Japanese culture slowly start to change their interest to Korea when it becomes the "it" Far East nation. Or will they put very little interest to Korean originated products, and maybe even show some resentment. It has to made clear that both countries are very competitive with each other and have several conflicts, so it's not easy to be mutually supportive of both.
    Do you have any links saying any of this has been declining significantly? TBH, I've failed to have seen anything except one overplayed song come out of Korea. Expanding venues is something every country wants to do so that's nothing new there. I honesty don't think a song, and a popular phone company is going to "overthrow" anything anytime soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by ParaChomp View Post
    I'm talking about this. More confusion, more hardcore fans getting FURIOUS at those other guys for no good reason. I'm scared, hide me.
    Bloody hell.

I like both, so I'm okay.

Quote Originally Posted by Jb View Post
    Bloody hell.
    Stop reminding me of what's to come!

I wanted to get into Jpop but then I realized I was listening to K-Pop so I never listen to J-Pop not unless you count Anime theme tunes as J-Pop then yes I've heard of J-Pop, so the whole South Korea/Japan Grrr thing going on doesn't really effect me, yanno?
    As to what once, it now is. For this my retirement tour, let us commence, forevermore, forevermore.

So let me get this straight. Because one Korean song suddenly became popular in America, it means Japan is on the decline and it will be lost into the wind to the Korean trend?

This is just an argument you need to walk away from. I don't think there is enough room in your mouth for another foot.
    My deviantArt

U mad bro?

I'm still amazed at the ridiculous conclusions people are drawing just because some guy in Korea got a 1 hit wonder.

I remember when Soulja Boy released Crank That and people were obsessing just the same and playing armchair prophet about how Rap would die, etc. Give it a rest already. Most likely nothing is going to change and nobody is going to care about it down the line.

^ This is nothing like Crank That, Macarena yes, Crank That no.
    As to what once, it now is. For this my retirement tour, let us commence, forevermore, forevermore.

Quote Originally Posted by Armando Payne View Post
    ^ This is nothing like Crank That, Macarena yes, Crank That no.
    It pretty much is like the Macarena. Anyone who still still really into Gagnam style at this point is way uncool and the song reached its saturation point a while ago.

Of course K-pop in general does seem to be getting more popular internationally, particularly in Japan. I don't want to take away any accomplishments that have been earned here.

Watch me tumble stuff:
    http://catharsiscat.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by deathseer View Post
    So let me get this straight. Because one Korean song suddenly became popular in America, it means Japan is on the decline and it will be lost into the wind to the Korean trend?

This is just an argument you need to walk away from. I don't think there is enough room in your mouth for another foot.
    Yea that is a stupid argument. The good thing is nobody has made it on this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Glass Eye View Post
    It pretty much is like the Macarena. Anyone who still still really into Gagnam style at this point is way uncool and the song reached its saturation point a while ago.

Of course K-pop in general does seem to be getting more popular internationally, particularly in Japan. I don't want to take away any accomplishments that have been earned here.
    There will always be haters and backlash to popular things. Except that Gangnam Style is basically a huge advertisement for kpop and Korean media in general, as interest grows people search and find out what else they produce in that country. This is the way people become fans of certain countries. For Japan, anime and video games were a gateway for many to become interested in Japanese culture overall.

Well, South Korea is definitely rising over Japan in terms of electronic products and technology (smartphones, TVs, etc), and maybe K-Pop, too, but manhwa will probably never defeat anime and manga - the manhwa Korea produces is mostly targeted at children, as I know from experience. And of course, the video gaming industry will never develop, either (no one's interested in non-online video games over there, except for Pokémon). So in some ways, yes, and other ways, no.

Quote Originally Posted by deathseer View Post

Japan's own music charts are being dominated by Korean import groups.

The Korean wave overshadowing Japan is nothing new

twittertumblrlast.fm

Let's hope they react in the most negative way possible online so the rest of us can point and laugh.

Fighting for real American turtles everywhere. Pro-Turtle since 6/30/13

Yeah, I can certainly agree with this topic, with the advent of Gangnam Style, and the decline of anime and Japanese media both here and overseas, it's obvious to say that Japan is losing it's touch, or at least it is currently, but then again, the popularity of anime and manga both inside and out of Japan has been up and down since Osamu Tezuka first made Astro Boy, so it's just a trend that's going on right now with the people of the internet. Besides, with Sony losing competition to Samsung lately, it's no wonder that's a contributing factor as well.

Lately, it's even affected me as well, not only am I learning the Korean language, but I'm reading more and more about the country itself and it's history and culture, among other things, I still love Japan for it's history and culture, but of course I will never drop my interest in anime and manga as well, even with my interest in anime declining slowly.

Until then, goodbye Tokyo, you were a fun place while you lasted, and I'll see all you guys in Seoul then.

Quote Originally Posted by Azran Flame View Post
    Well, South Korea is definitely rising over Japan in terms of electronic products and technology (smartphones, TVs, etc), and maybe K-Pop, too, but manhwa will probably never defeat anime and manga - the manhwa Korea produces is mostly targeted at children, as I know from experience. And of course, the video gaming industry will never develop, either (no one's interested in non-online video games over there, except for Pokémon). So in some ways, yes, and other ways, no.
    Nothing is set in stone you know, it's just a current trend with South Korean media at the moment, eventually one day in the future Korea will spawn a more anime-style animated series, nobody ever said it won't eventually happen after all. I do know of some nice non-animated Korean films such as Volcano High, which was heavily inspired by Japanese anime.

But right now, the Korean music industry is the dominant medium, with PSY, Hyun-A, 4Minute, Girls Generation, and many others.

CLICK MY ROBOT POKEMON ARMY OR ELSE!!!!!!

If you badly want the Team Plasma episodes to air soon, please put this in your signature.

i like korea, and japan because they BOTH create music, games, and entertaining internet videos
    FC: 2967 6468 9106
    If you believe in Flying Spaghetti Monster put this in your profile and don't just ignore this, because he says, `If you deny me, I will deny you in front the beer volcano

Credit to eeveelover824
    My x and y shinies: froakie (193 eggs MM), Mime Jr (RE), Volbeat (RE)
        Spoiler:- Assorted chain sig stuff:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast