Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Community POTW #96

Default Community POTW #96

Back to the RNG, we've had it throw up a decent Pokémon

It's Throh, the Fighting-type Pokémon. It has significant strength and defences and can do quite a bit of damage

http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-bw/538.shtml

Go nuts

Ability: Guts
    Item: Black Belt
    Moves: Circle Throw, Storm Throw, Stone Edge, Body Slam
        Spoiler:- Favourite Pokemon:

I'll Throh You Around
    Item: Leftovers / Chesto Berry
    Nature and EVs: Careful, 252 HP, 252 SpDef, 4 Def

- Circle Throw
    - Payback
    - Bulk Up
    - Pain Split / Rest

A pretty basic set. Circle Throw forces switches, effectively phasing and picking up hazard damage.Payback provides perfect neutral coverage and more reliable damage. Bulk Up boosts Attack and Defense, the latter of which is great for this set. Your last option is your healing method choice. Pain Split is great if you hate Rest. Rest is great if you hate Pain Split. I personally prefer Pain Split since Throh has rubbish speed and will usually get to heal itself back up after being hit. Rest is great for a one off save from a status though.

Strongest Nap Ever
    Item: Leftovers
    Nature and EVs: Careful, 252 HP, 252 SpDef, 4 Def

- Circle Throw
    - Sleep Talk
    - Bulk Up
    - Rest

This is something I would only consider using in a late game, with a lot of hazard support, and if all your opponent's Ghost type Pokemon have been terminated. With only one type of attack available to use here, if a Ghost type shows up, you're doomed. If you have the support for this though, it's a solid set. Use Bulk Up to become stronger and bulkier, Rest to heal, Sleep Talk to keep acting in your sleep, and Circle Throw to rack up damage.

Countering Throh

Ghost Types, Octillary, Cradily, and Spin Support. Flying types and Psychic types work as well to Counter/Check Throh, provided they are Specially inclined. Even with investment, Throh can't hide that 85 Base Special Defense isn't huge. It's fairly bulky, but most sets run Bulk Up and sponge Physical Attackers more than Special Attackers.

Paralysis isn't going to strike that much fear into his heart. Throh is already very slow. He'll get a power boost and be slightly slower. But Circle Throw is already very negative on priority so its not like he ever goes first. The chance of preventing attacks is nice, but you're basically giving him Hustle with Thunder Wave/Glare. Toxic as an... eh idea. If you're positive that he isn't running Rest and have a good staller to deteriorate him, it will work. But a good number of sets carry rest, and it will trigger Guts also.
    Last edited by TimmahX; 28th October 2012 at 2:07 PM.
    This is a signature that doesn't eat up an absurd amount of space.

Item: Leftovers
    Nature: Adamant
    EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 Def
    Ability: Mold Breaker
    Moveset:
    - Circle Throw
    - Earthquake
    - Bulk Up
    - Rest

Bulk Up, gets you safe and strong. So any physical hitters will have a hard time taking you down with rest as well.
    Then circle throw is useful with entry hazards up already. Plus phasing out any stat boosters. Then earthquake is there for extra coverage.
    Mold Breaker helps with suction cuppers and levitaters.
    I like a good fight, and I NEVER turn off the power when I'm about to lose a battle. Because of others doing this, and me not turning off, my record does not look how it should. It's shame that the pokemon world allows these cowards to escape a loss.

If more people don't do this, then pokemon battling will become more fair and fun.

If anyone wants to battle, I'm up for it. My Immence Salamences need their training.

Throh is the bulkiest Fighting-type to date (unless you count Fist-Plate Arceus), so most sets involving him are defensively based. In particular, Bulk Up is great on this guy as he can easily pull the move off several times with his huge HP and decent defenses. The bad news is that his only method of recovery is Rest, but a Chesto Berry or Sleep Talk can help with that.

Throh's most popular ability is Guts for reasons we all know. Inner Focus is OK in Double Battles, but Guts is still better for the Burn insurance. Mold Breaker hasn't been released yet, but I think its still inferior to Guts (unless you really to Earthquake a Levitator).

Most Throh run the move Circle Throw, and for good reason. It gets STAB, it phazes, and it's decently powerful, especially after a few Bulk Ups. In addition, since Throh is quite slow, the negative priority usually isn't much of an issue. Payback combos very well with Circle Throw, again gelling well with Throh's low Speed and also forming the nearly unresisted Fighting/Dark combo.

If you want to go offensive with Throh, Trick Room support is highly encouraged due to Throh's base 45 Speed. It has just enough of a physical movepool to (no pun intended) throw around, including Superpower, the EdgeQuake combo, the elemental punches, and the always-critting Storm Throw. Throh can also be useful in Double and Triple Battles due to his bulk and his access to Wide Guard.

Countering Throh: His defenses are equally high (and Bulk Up sets tend to run Careful), so he can take a fair bit of punishment before going down. He can even Rest and leave you back at square one! On the other hand, having Rest as his only recovery can also be a liability; once a Chesto Berry is gone, it's gone; and Sleep Talk is unreliable.

Avoid status conditions because of Guts (though Sleep can still work). Your Pokemon are going to be tossed around a lot because of Circle Throw, so don't bother stat boosting your Pokemon is a Ghost type or has Suction Cups. Phazing Throh out of battle is also effective once he's used Bulk Up.

The offensive set has no recovery, so try and survive the onslought and strike back as best you can.
    Last edited by ClefairyRox; 28th October 2012 at 2:44 PM.

Throh is an unusual pokemon. it can be used in most tiers and still be successful. It can phaze out foes, even under taunt.

lets try this one out (even though it is still outclassed by many)
    item burn orb
    Nature adamant/brave
    ability guts
    EVs 252 att, 252 hp, 4 def
    -circle throw/storm throw
    -stone edge
    -payback
    -protect

This set is similar to one conkeldurr uses. Protect first turn to activate the burn orb, and then get the guts boost. Circle throw works wonders as it lets throh phaze, even under taunt, but Storm throw give that extra bit of power to KO most opponents that don't resist it. Stone edge nails flying types. Payback destroys ghost types.

Lets try a staller

Item: leftovers
    nature: Careful
    ability: guts
    EVs: 252 HP, 252 spdef, 4 def
    -Toxic
    -Protect/payback
    -Storm throw/circle throw
    -pain split

This is an odd set. You have a recovery move (albeit pain split), which can be useful at low HP. Toxic and protect is a classic Toxic stall, but Payback is an option over protect, as then you aren't walled by ghost types, if you are taunted. Storm throw is to use is you are given a status ailment, but circle throw phazes the foe.

Quote Originally Posted by ClefairyRox View Post
    The bad news is that his only method of recovery is Rest, but a Chesto Berry or Sleep Talk can help with that.
    What about pain split?
    Last edited by philzone; 28th October 2012 at 2:52 PM. Reason: recovery options
    All Hail Goomy

Despite being in NU, Throh has a niche for being a defensive Fighting-type. 120/85/85 defenses make it the bulkiest non-uber Fighting-type in the game. It has some decent support options such as Circle Throw, Taunt, and Bulk Up. It also gained a few new useful moves in BW2 that made its previously barren movepool much better. Overall, Throh is a defensive pivot that can be considered when building almost any team.
    DW Pokemon I can offer:

Guts w/ Flame Orb/Life Orb/Leftovers
    Brave/Adamant w/ 250 Attack, 250 HP, 10 Defense/Sp Defense
    Vital Throw/Storm Throw/Revenge
    Payback
    Stone Edge/Rock Slide
    Earthquake/Thunderpunch/Seismic Toss

Other move ideas:
    Superpower with White Herb
    Bulk Up
    Rock Tomb or Bulldoze
    Fire/Ice Punch
    Rest and Sleep Talk
    Fling with Iron Ball or Hard Stone

Partners:
    Trick Room-Users
    Reflect/Light Screen-Users
    Helping Hand-Users

Countering:
    Highly Defensive pokemon like Cofagrigus, Skarmory, Metagross, Leafeon, Tangrowth, Gliscor, Slowbro, Spiritomb, Fan Rotom, Psychic Gorebyss, Claydol, Durant, Hurricane Pelipper.
    Ability-changing burners or poisoners like Skill Swap Dusknoir/Bronzong.
    Endeavor-users like Marowak, Donphan, and Vespiquen.
    Aerial Ace-users.
    Got Pokémon X. Intend to get either Omega Ruby or Alpha Sapphire.
    No info about my Friend Safari.
    Vivillon Pattern: Polar
    Looking for nicknamed, shiny, and/or have a hidden ability in GTS and may battle at anytime.
    If interested, send a private message with your ID #.

Ability Analysis
    Guts - Great Ability since Throh is so bulky. Toxic and Burns are often used to take down other bulky Pokemon and you can use that to your advantage or go for the old Flame Orb-Guts strategy.
    Inner Focus - Not bad due to your low Speed, but not great because of the other option (or, hopefully soon, options). Not Flinching can help because Throh's so slow, but that's about it.
    Mold Breaker (DW, UNRELEASED) - Great with Earthquake and a few other Moves. Sadly, it has not been released yet...

Stat Analysis
    HP - Godly. By which, I mean your Base 120 HP matches Arceus. Maximum HP of 444 gives you so much bulk and access to Seismic Toss/Night Shade-proof Substitutes.
    Attack - Great. Base 100 matches most Event-only Legendaries. Combined with a solid Movepool, you'll bust a lot of heads.
    Sp.Atk - Forgettable. Base 30 Sp.Atk means you should completely forget about even trying anything Special...
    Defense & Sp.Def - Good. Base 85 is rather nice, and even moreso with that delicious Base 120 HP. Consider the fact that Throh's Defense is equal to Gurdurr's and Sp.Def is equal to Machamp's.
    Speed - Barely-Borderline-Good (Trick Room). I base my Speed analysis differently than the other stats. If its from 51-79, it's a bad Speed Stat. For 50 and Below, you've got a Trick Room Speed stat. For 80 and Above, you've got a regular Speed stat. Throh barely dips under Base 51 Speed with that Base 45, but Conkeldurr and Machoke have the same Speed and do fine themselves.

Movepool Analysis
    Since Attack is the only offense worth anything on Throh, we must only consider Special Moves with guaranteed added effects like a Stat Debuff or Status Effect. Considering Throh's only Special Moves are Hidden Power, Round, Focus Blast, Grass Knot, and Snore, they're all out of the question. Pity. Well, Physical Moves aren't in short supply, so it's not worth crying over it.

For STAB, Circle Throw, Superpower, Revenge, Low Sweep, Vital Throw, Low Kick, Brick Break, and Reversal are great for STAB. Storm Throw is weak and gimmicky, but can pierce Defense Buffs on non-Battle Armor, non-Shell Armor Pokemon due to its Automatic Critical Hits. Seismic Toss and Rock Smash are just bad in comparison to the rest. With its considerable bulk and access to Substitute, it's a shame it doesn't get Focus Punch.

For other Moves, you've got options out the wah- and past the -zoo. Earthquake, Bulldoze, Stone Edge, Rock Slide, Rock Tomb, Poison Jab, Return, Facade, Payback, the Elemental Punches, Toxic, Bind, Pain Split, Substitute, Knock Off, Body Slam, and Rest-Talk. Poison Jab is an option for Synchronize Ability Pokemon if you don't have Flame Orb, but do have Guts. Substitute + Pain Split is something to fear when Throh has low HP. Guts + Facade is like Peanut Butter + Chocolate. Bind is useful for Tox-Stalling. Payback works wonders with your naturally low Speed.
    Ever see a Corsola 1-shot an Uber? Arceus bless Pokemon Stadium 2...
    WARNING: Strong profanity and extreme hilarity in this video. Viewer discretion and pointing-and-laughing advised.

Bulk-Up:
    Throh
    Adamant
    252 HP/252 Attack/4 Defense
    Leftovers
    -Bulk Up
    -Ice Punch
    -Substitute
    -Circle Throw/Superpower
    Bulk Up to stay in and sweep, Sub to make sure you stay there, Ice Punch for coverage, Circle Throw for STAB or you can use Superpower and then Bulk Up to counteract the stat drop.
    I play Minecraft under the Same Username
    Romney 2012! Copy and paste this into your sig if you agree!
    73% of teenagers would cry if they saw Justin Bieber standing on top of a skyscraper about to jump. If you are the 27% sitting there with popcorn and 3D glasses, screaming "DO A BACKFLIP!", copy this in your signature.

Credit to Mochi10 for the Team Pose
    Started by jesusfreak94:
    † I am a Christian and proud of it! Copy and paste this if you are too.†

My rants about last POTW: Gengar have 3 weaknesses! dark pulse? flinch rate don't justifies a useless move, protect-useless,choice set.. with trick why not main set? where is trick or threat

Anyway throh.. choice band wasn't posted yet so.. choice band

@Choice Band
    Adamant/brave (0 speed IVs (optional))
    252 HP, 252 attack, 4 defense
    Guts
    -Superpower
    -Storm Throw
    -Stone Edge
    -Payback

This set aims to do huge damage immediately without stalling base 100 attack isn't too bad and throh got the moves, Superpower is a powerful STAB although not very effective on the long run, Storm Throw is a 80 BP move actually without the ability to crit.. cause it always crit it is good to bypass coil from eelektross or something cause it ignores defense boosts, Stone Edge is for flying types like braviary or swellow (use on the switch only) Payback hit ghosts hard but beware of driftblimb he will beat throh with acrobatics.
    If you want you can use less speed for more reliability to payback.

A flame orb or toxic orb can be used here (toxic orb is more useful for being 2 turns) but the damage hurts him..

Counters: driftblim can beat him easily with acrobatics , anything with brave bird 0-2HKOes (like golbat) only need to worry about stone edge, Musharna is slower than throh so payback is kind of weak and can set up on him.

@kraleck: Storm Throw isn't too weak base 40*2 (always crits) only the rare shell armor pokemons are hit a 40 BP move but most of them are weak to fighting anyway so..
    Last edited by Ilan; 28th October 2012 at 4:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Oak
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and the amount of zubat in caves, and I'm not sure about the former.
    Shortcut to damage calculator

Throh @ Leftovers
    Adamant/Brave OR Careful/Sassy
    252Hp/252Atk OR 252Hp/252SpD
    -Bulk Up
    -Storm Throw/Circle Throw
    -Payback
    -Ice Punch

Bulk up and hit hard. Storm Throw always crits, so defence boosts of opponent are ignored. Ice Punch for Altaria and the occasional Tangela. Payback kills Psychics that dont kill you.

-Rise Against, Survivor's Guilt
    I have claimed the awesome Kingdra

Throh is a strange Pokemon. It looks like a traditional fighting type in terms of stats and movepool. Even its ability is fighting type standard. At first glance, it's true, Throh is a very unspectacular Pokemon that offers very insignificant things.
    WRONG!!! Throh is one of the best counters to Bulk Up users with its phazing move Circle Throw and its signature Storm Throw. With these moves, along with its own Bulk Up, Thoh can take down some of the best Bulk Up abusers like Gallade, Scrafty, Breloom, Conkeldurr, Hariyama, and Hitmonchan. Because critical hits are unaffected by defense boosts, Storm Throw is a move that suits Throh's anti-Bulk Up tactics very well. For coverage, Throh's low speed lets Payback smash things. BW2 added the elemental punches, Pain Split, RestTalk, and Knock Off. Guts is an added touch.
    Beyond Throh's ability to break Bulk Up users, Throh is pretty uninspiring. It has what pretty much what every other fighting type has. Even Hitmonchan, who boasts Iron Fist-boosted punches like the elementals, Focus Punch, Drain Punch, and Mach Punch, stands out over Throh. Hitmonlee has Reckless-boosted Hi Jump Kick. Poliwrath can burn with Scald and phaze with Circle Throw, acting as a status platform. Leave the RU tier and Throh can see heavier competition for a spot on the team from Scrafty, Gallade, Medicham, Hitmontop, Mienshao, Cobalion, Machamp, Virizion, Meloetta-P, and UU's most prominent threat: Heracross. Move into the OU tier and now Throh has to face down Conkeldurr, Keldeo, Lucario, Breloom, Infernape, Toxicroak, and OU's most powerful physical attacker: Terrakion. When you look at Throh outside of that one very tiny niche, Throh has nothing to offer to put himself as a standout fighting type.
    The master of Judo can make things happen. It is not the scariest thing around, but don't dismiss it as a threat.

Judo Bulk
    Nature: Careful
    EVs: 208 HP, 252 special defense, 48 attack
    @: Leftovers

Bulk Up
    Circle Throw/Storm Throw
    Payback
    Stone Edge/Storm Throw

When Throh goes into OU, this is what it will be doing.

Judo at Peace
    Nature: Careful
    EVs: 208 HP, 252 special defense, 48 attack
    @: Leftovers

Rest
    Sleep Talk
    Bulk Up
    Circle Throw

A mono-attacking RestTalk set.
    I claim Buizel.

Quote Originally Posted by TimmahX View Post
    Countering Throh

Ghost Types, Octillary, Cradily, and Spin Support. Flying types and Psychic types work as well to Counter/Check Throh, provided they are Specially inclined.
    Just throwing this out there... Cradily in no way shape or form counters Throh. Cradily is weak to fighting and even if it can't be Circle Throwed away it still takes a ton of damage from it. What will Cradily do back? Throh resists Rock and takes little from any of Cradily's Grass moves.

Throh is honestly just part of Gamefreak's plan to copy every pokemon from the previous generation. It's a Hariyama. That's it.
    And keeping with Gamefreak's trend, like all other pokemon that were remakes of some other (Galvantula to Ariados, Ursuring to Beartic... I could go on), Throh's stats are completely inferior to Hariyama's. So anything Throh can do, Hariyama can do better.
    I guess he does have pretty nice stats on paper, but his movepool is basically just a big gimmick. He has Dragon Tail and Frost Breath, but as Fighting type moves. Circle Throw he could pull of, but having an attack that only does Crits is kinda dumb; there are lots of pokemon that have abilities that deny crits or increases their Attack when there is a crit.
    Besides that, he really is just another Fighting type. He has the punches and Edgequake, and a bunch of Fighting type moves and Bulk Up. So does Conkledurr. But Throh has to use Superpower in his sets, making him stronger! Almost every other Fighting type has Superpower or Close Combat (which is better) and superior stats.
    Honestly, Throh doesn't have anything that really makes him stand out. There are so many other Fighting types (and pokemon in general) that do his job better. He's even outclassed in NU.
    Point is, Throh is amazing for in-game, but competitively, he's a no-go.

This signature has been brought to you by Mochi10, thanks a bunch c:

Throh is a cool pokemon, I used it once in UU.
    I have to say that he only rolls with the right helps, he alone is able to sustain alot but shinies
    when the right support have been implied.

Throh @ Chesto- / Lum berry
    Guts - Carefull
    252Hp - 252 Sp.Def - 6 Def.
    -Bulk Up
    -Circle throw
    -Payback/Sleep talk
    -Rest

To make most use of Throsh's potential is Hazard users, with as second Trick room. (Since Storm throw has -1 prioty tr doesnt really matter that much)
    Never use Throh as lead, but be patient with him. Because he needs to put on the perfect time. His ability works quite well on him, burn will only boost its attack instead of dropping it
    and ones it gets dangerous just rest it, and (if you have sleep talk) do sleep talk to continue your tactic.

Strategy:
    Be sure to have an Ghost partner and an Hazerd partner in your team. (Stealth rocks with an set of Spikes does wonders) and ghost to block Rapid spinners
    for example, lets say you got Crustle with SR and SPIKES, be sure to have those on your opponents fields. Then your little crustle may die.
    because Throh will handle the rest, its pretty bulky which makes him hard to counter. His fighting type supports him well because it only has 2 weakness and not
    very common weakness if you ask me. And well the rest is obivious.. Circle throw all the way and when there is a spinner user, switch him out with an ghost type.
    If your affraid of ghost types have Payback instead of Sleep talk.

I love unusual poks like him, more poeple should use him.
    Last edited by Azulart; 28th October 2012 at 7:16 PM.

0705-4374-1566

Recent rare hatch:
    Modest - Oblivious
    31/x/31/31/31/31
    - Dragon Pulse
    - Hypnosis
    - Mirror Coat
    - Confuse Ray

Quote Originally Posted by Soperman View Post
    Throh is honestly just part of Gamefreak's plan to copy every pokemon from the previous generation. It's a Hariyama. That's it.
    And keeping with Gamefreak's trend, like all other pokemon that were remakes of some other (Galvantula to Ariados, Ursuring to Beartic... I could go on), Throh's stats are completely inferior to Hariyama's. So anything Throh can do, Hariyama can do better.
    I guess he does have pretty nice stats on paper, but his movepool is basically just a big gimmick. He has Dragon Tail and Frost Breath, but as Fighting type moves. Circle Throw he could pull of, but having an attack that only does Crits is kinda dumb; there are lots of pokemon that have abilities that deny crits or increases their Attack when there is a crit.
    Besides that, he really is just another Fighting type. He has the punches and Edgequake, and a bunch of Fighting type moves and Bulk Up. So does Conkledurr. But Throh has to use Superpower in his sets, making him stronger! Almost every other Fighting type has Superpower or Close Combat (which is better) and superior stats.
    Honestly, Throh doesn't have anything that really makes him stand out. There are so many other Fighting types (and pokemon in general) that do his job better. He's even outclassed in NU.
    WHAT? first thing it was a rant over gen 5 and how much you hate it if anything sawk and throh are hitmonlee and hitmonchan..
    Throh have a niche it is the bulkiest fighting type in the game and storm throw? it can beat other bulk up users like gurdurr (but it is better at jsut phazing them.. anger point? those who use anger point are 0HKOed by storm throw (taurus and krookodile (both don't even use it lol)) shell armor is also rare specially in lower tiers
    Circle throw is throh main move anyway.
    it have a niche in NU it can counter absol for once it can also absorb a burn..
    Hairyhama isn't that bulky only base 144 HP but horrid defenses also they work differently hairiyama is more offensive than throh..

Only two things are infinite, the universe and the amount of zubat in caves, and I'm not sure about the former.

Quote Originally Posted by philzone View Post
    What about pain split?
    Whoops, I must've missed Pain Split when looking over Throh's movepool. The bad thing about Pain Split is that Throh's HP is very high, meaning that it won't get much benefit until it is significantly weakened.

Everyone is running the bulky attacker route. I just thought of another decent set that could work. With its large HP stat, it can set up subs that are decently hard to break. Unfortunately, Gamefreak trolled us by not giving Throh Focus Punch. Those subs could still work to help set up Bulk Ups. Storm Throw has a niche to beat other Bulk Up users. Unlike Frost Breath users though, Throh has no moves besides Superpower that hit for more damage than Storm Throw (after the critical hit calculation). And SP is unfeasible for a Bulk Up set.

Throh (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Guts
    EVs: 92 HP / 252 Atk / 164 SDef
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Substitute
    - Payback
    - Bulk Up
    - Storm Throw

EVs in HP bring it to 404 HP, surviving Night Shades and Seismic Tosses. Max attack obviously hits as hard as possible. The SDef investment covers for the lackluster special defense after a few Bulk Ups and it allows Throh to take Psychic attacks easier (besides Psycho Cut, Zen Headbutt, Psyshock, and Psystrike which will never be seen except on Mewtwo in ubers). Bulk Up boosts the uninvested Defense stat.

252 +6 Atk Choice Band Pure Power Victini (+Atk)Critical V-create vs 0 HP/0 -6 Def Dry Skin Paras (-Def) : 103470436.36% - 121729963.64% (Guaranteed OHKO)

You Don't Say? I had no idea that a Choice Band Adamant Victini with maximum attack EVs and IVs that was baton passed +6 in attack and Skill Swapped Pure Power OHKO's Hasty Dry Skin Lvl 1 Paras with no defense EVs or IVs and -6 in defense under sun with a critical hit V-Create.

Throh
    Item:Leftovers
    Abillity:Guts
    Nature:Adamant
    EVs: I don't know, probably something like the set above.
    -Circle Throw/ Storm Throw
    -Bulk Up
    -Superpower/ storm throw
    -Pain Split

Spoiler:- Credit:

Quote Originally Posted by Soperman View Post
    The main problem with this argument is the fact that by most tiering systems, Hariyama is the equivalent of RU while Throh is NU, and thus are hard to compare/contrast because they don't have to worry about the same metagame. Throh is actually a really good Pokemon in NU, its only downfall really is its speed and lack of reliable recovery other than Rest. As mentioned earlier, Throh has the advantage of having Circle Throw and incredible bulk (which sets him apart from other Fighting types), Circle Throw allowing Throh to phaze out either Pokemon setting up with Throh (as Throh generally runs a Bulk Up set), or adds team support to a team with hazards. Also, you got Circle Throw mixed up with Storm Throw (CT phazes, ST crits), so despite it being outclassed by other Fightings, most if not all of those Fightings are in a different tier. The only Fightings that may be outclassing Throh in other regards are Emboar, who gets powerful Fire STAB and good coverage, or Sawk who is used as either a wall breaker or revenge killer. Throh can also be used to take annoying statuses as Guts then boosts his Attack and makes Circle Throw even more abusable.

Essentially (this is for the tl;dr people), Throh has it's own niche in NU, and is likely the best phazer in the tier, making it useful to teams that have trouble with set up Pokemon (as Throh has enough bulk to withstand a +1 hit from quite a few pokemon and subsequently phaze them out), or make quick hash of an opponent's team when you have hazards set up.
    Back : D
    I help write the Pokemon of the Week!
    Trapped since February 9, 2013
    Woooo competitive. Also doing ASB.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Harvest View Post
    Just throwing this out there... Cradily in no way shape or form counters Throh. Cradily is weak to fighting and even if it can't be Circle Throwed away it still takes a ton of damage from it. What will Cradily do back? Throh resists Rock and takes little from any of Cradily's Grass moves.
    It was an oversight, but it's not totally wrong. Cradily can break even with Sandstorm up or if it runs its "Smogon Standard" set (Toxic, SR, Recover, Attack with 252 HP and Def).

Throh, 0 Atk EVs Circle Throw v Cradily, 252 Def/HP Evs = 25% ~ 30% without Guts. With Guts its more, but still just a 3HKO and Cradily runs Recover + Leftovers.

It's not like a perfect counter, but it SHOULD do the trick in a good number of cases. If Throh has like a Bulk Up or two out when Cradily hits the board though, it'll probably lose. I'm fine with not calling it a hard counter, but its at least a check in favorable winds.
    Last edited by TimmahX; 29th October 2012 at 5:13 AM.
    This is a signature that doesn't eat up an absurd amount of space.

Quote Originally Posted by TimmahX View Post
    It was an oversight, but it's not totally wrong. Cradily can break even with Sandstorm up or if it runs its "Smogon Standard" set (Toxic, SR, Recover, Attack with 252 HP and Def).

Throh, 0 Atk EVs Circle Throw v Cradily, 252 Def/HP Evs = 25% ~ 30% without Guts. With Guts its more, but still just a 3HKO and Cradily runs Recover + Leftovers.

It's not like a perfect counter, but it SHOULD do the trick in a good number of cases. If Throh has like a Bulk Up or two out when Cradily hits the board though, it'll probably lose. I'm fine with not calling it a hard counter, but its at least a check in favorable winds.
    If throh have 0 atk EVs it will have rest and bulk up- not a counter.

Quote Originally Posted by Chess Zoroark View Post
    Throh
    Item:Leftovers
    Abillity:Guts
    Nature:Adamant
    EVs: I don't know, probably something like the set above.
    -Circle Throw/ Storm Throw
    -Bulk Up
    -Superpower/ storm throw
    -Pain Split
    This set seems to be walled by all ghost types. Suggest adding payback in the 3rd slot
    All Hail Goomy

Stop Throh-ling

Throh @ Leftover
    Nature: Impish (+Def -SpA)
    EV: 252 HP/252 Def/4 Atk
    - Circle Throw
    - Substitute
    - Revenge/Payback
    - Bulk Up

The troll set... to most physical attackers. Circle Throw prevents stuff from setting up and is an instant annoyance, in the presence of Stealth Rock and Spikes. Substitute is useful in trying to setup with Bulk Up. Revenge is an attacking option with a higher power if the other side goes first, but Payback is better because it hits Ghost Type.

Partners:
    Has anyone ever tried a Parasect with Spore + Throh set? It's an instant troll. You never wake up, SR is on your side, he spams Circle Throw that does horrendously huge damage to you, while you have no chance to break his sub with you sleeping. Annoying, you might as well just forfeit. Of course, Stealth Rock or Spikes are almost required to make full use of Throh.

Counters:
    Regenerator Tangela is a huge stop to Throh. It has such physical bulk, Sleep Powder and Regenerator that Throh just can't beat through. It takes minimum damage from Payback and Revenge too, and benefits from Circle Throw. And to top it off: Eviolite, that will certainly stop Throh dead in the track. Tangrowth also does the job well, in RU.

Credits to Sworn Metalhead

ASB Squad

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast