Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: team rocket,for better or worse

Quote Originally Posted by HatersGonnaHate View Post
    Team Rocket needs to go and BW has only assured this for me. The idea of making them serious was fine on paper, but the actual result has ended up killing what made Jesse, James, and Meowth who they are. I dislike BW team rocket more than I do DP team rocket and that shouldn't be possible. Just get rid of them already!
    I agree, I don't like the transition and how fast they went from being annoying and incompetant (sp?) to becoming serious in just 1 episode. It seems forced and unrealistic to me. They should have gotten gradual character development as the anime moved on to become more serious. Tbh they should have left after Johto.
    Owner of the Dawn/Hikari Fanclub v.4
    Quote Originally Posted by Canada View Post
    Biggest Fan of the Diamond and Pearl Series: Dawn+Serena Fan

I actually think that Team Rocket hasn't been the same since the voices changed six years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
    Its best for them to leave once Best Wishes ends. You can technically say they've been more or less written out of the series already and only make guest appearances.
    But didn't you had said something about Team Rocket having a filler arc in Kanto because you couldn't see yourself accepting the fact that Team Rocket got such an aweful send off? What's changed now?

To answer the question, they have gotten much worse. But this all started back in Johto. No. Maybe back in IS if you were to do the math. The only thing that got interesting was that Jessie was getting slightly better at contests. But they dumped that in BW and we barely saw them. Not only that but there is just nothing there than they used to be. we barely get to see there Pokemon have development like they used to and got to know more. They should have got rid of them after Johto. That way they could have left more room to develop Team Aqua and Magma better than they were. And they weren't really needed in Sinnoh since Team Galactic did a good job being real villians. BW didn't really need Team Rocket. They needed to bring along Team Plasma and N to maybe make things more interesting. But this is only my opinion. Nothing personal.
    Last edited by Caseydia; 26th November 2012 at 7:48 PM.

My ideal battle ever!

Quote Originally Posted by Bluelatios* View Post
    If they want to get serious, then they need to make TR what they were meant to be, whether its antagonism, humor, or a mixture of both.
    And when they do that, half the fandom explodes and the seiyuu stop trying to act.

BW Team Rocket is nothing other than returning them to exactly what they were the moment they first appeared on the show in episode 2.

(Banner by Matori)
    Beyond all ideals, the truth shall set you free...
    Most Recent: 18: Winter of Discontent
    Next: The Weight of the World (Part 1)

The steps on the road to the truth.
    The Firestorm Rebellion
    The Victory Star of Fate

Glacidia Network - The Home for Fanworks
    Best Wishes appreciation blog

Quote Originally Posted by The Great Butler View Post
    And when they do that, half the fandom explodes and the seiyuu stop trying to act.

BW Team Rocket is nothing other than returning them to exactly what they were the moment they first appeared on the show in episode 2.
    Except they were still goofy and humourous in Season 1, even if it didn't really start till after the St. Anne arc.

Quote Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
    Except they were still goofy and humourous in Season 1, even if it didn't really start till after the St. Anne arc.
    You missed what I said.

Go back to the second episode and watch it again. Before they ran headfirst into the Pikachu bulldozer for the first time, they were just about exactly how they are now.

(Banner by Matori)

The Firestorm Rebellion
    The Victory Star of Fate

You missed what I said.

Go back to the second episode and watch it again. Before they ran headfirst into the Pikachu bulldozer for the first time, they were just about exactly how they are now.
    I agree. They were evil like they are now for about...one episode. For the next 20 or so Kanto episodes they sort of flipped flopped from being serious threats to a bit of a humour side.

I don't think TR truly became mostly comic relief till about halfway into Kanto though, I'm not sure where exactly it started. You watch those late Kanto episodes from like Viridian Gym till the league and they're just as goofy as they were known as. Its only back then the show had such few episodes that we weren't sick of their antics yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Caseydia View Post
    But didn't you had said something about Team Rocket having a filler arc in Kanto because you couldn't see yourself accepting the fact that Team Rocket got such an aweful send off? What's changed now?

To answer the question, they have gotten much worse. But this all started back in Johto. No. Maybe back in IS if you were to do the math. The only thing that got interesting was that Jessie was getting slightly better at contests. But they dumped that in BW and we barely saw them. Not only that but there is just nothing there than they used to be. we barely get to see there Pokemon have development like they used to and got to know more. They should have got rid of them after Johto. That way they could have left more room to develop Team Aqua and Magma better than they were. And they weren't really needed in Sinnoh since Team Galactic did a good job being real villians. BW didn't really need Team Rocket. They needed to bring along Team Plasma and N to maybe make things more interesting. But this is only my opinion. Nothing personal.
    I agree with this completely. I think the anime would have been better off if Team Rocket left after Johto so that the other villains could get more focus and development, and actually having Team Plasma appear. They really weren't needed after Johto, they just got in the way imo.
    Owner of the Dawn/Hikari Fanclub v.4
    Quote Originally Posted by Canada View Post
    Biggest Fan of the Diamond and Pearl Series: Dawn+Serena Fan

Blegh...I still like to see them, no matter what it is. People complain constantly about the repetitveness of the show and the fact its same thing over and over with just different styles thrown into the same characters...
    Why don't I find it boring? I do sometimes. But I still like it. I still enjoyed having team rocket here...Onto the question though.

Do I want them to stay, and do I like them better then before?
    It depends on how the writers work with them. But likely it would be yes for the first question, and no for the second...

Is not nearly as fun to see them anymore. Its hard to see them truly succeed in what they want to do, because you know they must fail because it is a kids show. Some might say this is true for any series that favors the main character, even if it's Teen rated or M possibly. But at least there the villain's aren't on a show that guarantee's every small mission to mean nothing for them in the end. It kills any suspense I get from them and it doesn't make me a happy camper. I liked only the subway station one and their final two parter. Every other appearance didn't do much, and i didn't find any entertainment in them...At least in the older gens they felt funny and crude, and constantly cracked jokes.

Thats something I'll address though... I do not believe Jessie James and meowth's personality have changed at all in this gen shift. HOWEVER, it still shows there funny side way less then it did in older gens...The lack of entertainment I get out of them now is ridiculous, and makes me beg for team plasma. And I mean beg. Not only are they obviously going to fail, but they're not even gonna fail in an interesting way...I prefer them to crack jokes until we're sick of it before I want this again. At least the regional teams have some reference to the plots in the games, so I get entertainment out of them simply because i like guessing how the anime producers will produce the finale of the game team. (Which we never even saw this generation...)

I'll admit its not like I hate this version of them to death. I like it that they have some conpedience...it add's something. But it detracts more from what I like about them, and I beleive the true seriousness of an conflict should stick with the regional teams.

A small note. I only liked the finale because giavonni was there. Because when giavonni was around, at least I knew something would happen. That's really why I enjoyed it. In fact, seeing Team rocket try to save giavonni was actually quite nice. I liked that xD.
    When refering to learning..."In other words, groups are not where ideas are born. Groups are where ideas are evaluated."
    My eyes! (my eyes!) are filled with curiosity! You think! (You think!) that you have power over me! In this life! (This life!) There’s no room for you and me! So turn around and face the day with me!
    Such a sexy song. Urgh.

Quote Originally Posted by Pika-Pika-Red View Post
    .The lack of entertainment I get out of them now is ridiculous, and makes me beg for team plasma. And I mean beg. Not only are they obviously going to fail, but they're not even gonna fail in an interesting way...
    This would be exactly the same if Team Plasma was present instead. They would come close to success and ultimately fail just like Team Rocket do now.

I guess it really does boil down to it being that people are upset Team Rocket finally get to be actual characters instead of obnoxious, boring stereotypes at the cost of Team Plasma.

At least the regional teams have some reference to the plots in the games, so I get entertainment out of them simply because i like guessing how the anime producers will produce the finale of the game team.
    Yeah, and you also know exactly how everything the game teams do is going to go. Team Rocket's plans being all anime-exclusive means none of us could predict the exact details of each appearance, making them fun to watch. Team Galactic on the other hand, for example... people realized immediately the moment that Pokemon Hunter J debuted that she would help them capture the Legendary Pokemon, it was predictable they'd get the Orbs, you knew they would find the Spear Pillar and Cyrus summoning Dialga and Palkia was always known too. The only true surprises that ever came out of the Team Galactic arc were their unexpected first appearance and Cyrus dying.

(Banner by Matori)

The Firestorm Rebellion
    The Victory Star of Fate

This would be exactly the same if Team Plasma was present instead. They would come close to success and ultimately fail just like Team Rocket do now.

I guess it really does boil down to it being that people are upset Team Rocket finally get to be actual characters instead of obnoxious, boring stereotypes at the cost of Team Plasma.

Yeah, and you also know exactly how everything the game teams do is going to go. Team Rocket's plans being all anime-exclusive means none of us could predict the exact details of each appearance, making them fun to watch. Team Galactic on the other hand, for example... people realized immediately the moment that Pokemon Hunter J debuted that she would help them capture the Legendary Pokemon, it was predictable they'd get the Orbs, you knew they would find the Spear Pillar and Cyrus summoning Dialga and Palkia was always known too. The only true surprises that ever came out of the Team Galactic arc were their unexpected first appearance and Cyrus dying.
    Obnoxious boring stereotypes? Aren't they just as boring stereotypes right now? They're just themselves with competence slapped onto them. Which would be great and all if they could actually succeed. Which they can't, nor make it that interesting to me. I find more interest in them being comedic and sympathetic rather than competent. Maybe that's just me, but lol.

Except i can predict that they'll fail. I can predict they'll fail pretty easily. If they actually took relative leaps at trying to make them more interesting... (Which I admit they DID...but not to the extend I would of liked. Because why? Cause its a kids show! And the writers don't like leaving their comfort zone!). So, If they can't add enough depth into them to make it good, I want it to be comedic or a reinterpretation of the game's villains. Its more entertaining that way. Hell I wouldn't even mind if the regional villains were comedic! I can't even say the plots of galactic and Magma/aqua were THAT much better, but at least they were relatible.

I know exactly how Cyrus's plan went down in the games. But they put a spin on it with Hunter J dieing and Cyrus actually technically jumping into his world. Couldn't they do that in a unique way once more? Unless Giavonni was there, nothing was gonna happen...Team rocket, requires Giavonni to be a threat in the end...At least its fun to see something you played animated and played with. I could care less for most of their tough plots. Meowth acting like his pathetic older self to trick them was the only entertaining thing I got out of the earlier team rocket plots. And that is probably BECAUSE he acted like his old pathetic self.

They're established character,. Which might be part of it. They've lost entertainment value to me because I can totally predict how the ending would be, and I would much rather see them crack jokes once more. Call it memory or nogalistic bias if you will, but whatever.

I watch the anime more for the battles, the flat yet entertaining characters, and honestly to see what small good fillers they can come up with, because they can be entertaining. If they can't make the plots good themselves, then twist the plot we already know on its head, and let team rocket be funny filler, despite whether you think they're funny or not.

That is my perception of them right now. >:/...
    When refering to learning..."In other words, groups are not where ideas are born. Groups are where ideas are evaluated."
    My eyes! (my eyes!) are filled with curiosity! You think! (You think!) that you have power over me! In this life! (This life!) There’s no room for you and me! So turn around and face the day with me!
    Such a sexy song. Urgh.

I would not mind them leaving but not leaving at the same time. By this I mean I'd love for them to become good and make a cameo every now and again. Maybe Jessie could be an actress or something Meowth could own up a noodle house and James could become a well known crossdresser.

how about...
    ''they were never funny''
    most of the time i found them rather annoying
    although they were always the big reason for the tention and excitement in the entire thing but still...

i miss the old team rocket

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Team Rocket lost their humor way back in AG, since then they were useless, two-dimensional annoyances trying and failing to be funny.

Team Rocket in BW have been infintely better, since they stopped trying to be funny and just started being serious villains for a change.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12