Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fakemon

Quote Originally Posted by Ememew View Post
    At the risk of seeming belligerent, perhaps instead of coming to the conclusion that it's "impossible" to have a civil discussion on this topic in all cases, we might consider hurricane-induced stress as a factor in making someone more on-edge than usual about what was said over then Internet, where it is difficult to detect the intended tone of a post?
    I was just poking fun about the previous time this was brought up. I wasn't being super serial about it. Well, not any more than how no one can have any civil discussion anywhere on the internet about anything. Heh.

I have about as little interest in discussing this matter seriously as is humanly possible. The last time it happened, someone that I very much like and respect around here and I both got some weirdly, uncharacteristically petulant sticks up our butts and came to verbal blows over it. And I really regret that. You and I, conversely, had a perfectly fine, rational, pleasant discussion over it in PM, and I think I'll let those things be the last I ever say on the matter in any kind of legitimate fashion. I was just joking in this thread.

Sid87's Gen 6 Igloo Shop!

FC: 3823-9867-2750

Well.. that's all well and good but that's also off-topic and not what the thread is for at all. Stay on the thread topic please, guys.

A parody of the Pokemon Colosseum game, full of pastries and Miror B.
    Completed. Four times winner of Best Comedy/Funniest Fic.

The BBS Forums! Join in!
    Gain achievements for activity on forums & the games!

Tied to this Pokemon Magazine! Looking for contributors - check it out!
    Why should you? Well, Wynaut?
    Current article: The Coffee Guy's Rants: Remakes! He doesn't like them.
    Avatar by minty-fivestar on DA, with edited background/cropping. Fic banner by cieux.

A new word of advice to hopefully spark some interest: avoid the nicknaming phenomenah with Fakemon. Trust me on this, it'll prevent confusion.

Currently on Hiatus

Very gracious thanks to Tezza for the Banner.

The Generic Story You All Probably Know… and Hate

It's 97% pure Parody, the other 3% is mockery!

Kertonmel: Sinsufficient Glory

A grand adventure, spoken in 2MB Colored glory!

In my opinion, Fakemon are brilliant ideas. Unfortunately, just not in the world of fanfiction.

What you must remember is, anyone who reads or writes fanfiction has all the Pokemon memorised and know a majority of their moves. But when you introduce something 'alien', it can be hard for the reader to come up with an image of it, even if the description is brilliant. Here's an example of what I mean - if I describe a Pokemon as 'Bee-like, gold, with a stinger, wings' what do you think of? Some may say Beedrill, others Ninjask. (This is actually a description for a Ninjask in my fanfic - I was unaware of the potential mix-up until Dragonfree pointed it out).

And then there'll be the moves to consider: will the attacks be new? If so its just another thing for the reader to memorise. The names will also be hard as hell to remember (I have enough trouble with nicknames for Pokemon in fanfics as it is!), especially if the thing evolves.

So, in conclusion, I think that, if you really want to use Fakemon, use only one or two, and make them legendaries. That way it won't be as hard for the reader to remember too much and it could help develop a new region's 'personality'.
    Every story has an ending. Nothing lasts forever. Not any more.
    Read My Epic Fanfic -

Spoiler:- Thanks to DeadlyBraviary!:

I really hope I don’t sound like I’m beating a dead horse at this point, but why does it matter if the reader imagines your fakemon EXACTLY the way you do or not? In an original story, as far as I can tell, people aren’t told that they shouldn’t make original aliens or fantasy creatures and should only stick to tried and true dragons, elves, and dwarves because readers won’t be able to envision your spider-lizard aliens and rock-people the same way you see them.

If a description applying to more than one possible pokémon, such as saying “a bee pokémon” when there are both the Beedrill and Combee lines to contend with (I think Ninjask is more of a cicada, to be honest) confuses readers, then saying the pokémon’s name somewhere might help (unless you’re trying to be ambiguous for some reason). This is especially true of fakemon, where the reader isn’t going to be able to look it up on a fan-site. If you’re trying to be ambiguous to keep it mysterious, then the intention would be that the reader doesn’t envision it exactly anyway, so I don’t see why a fakemon could not be used in a case where you wouldn’t say its name. Otherwise, call it what it is as often as you describe it (or thereabouts) so people remember it. Again, the “exact” nature of what it looks like isn’t all that important as long as the reader imagines something.

If I were to write about an alien (not a fakemon, but an alien) that looked like a mountain lion with red fur and the curled horns of a ram, my readers likely wouldn’t see the creature exactly as I see it (or even as other readers see it). Does that mean I should never use it in an original story? No. As long as the reader can form a mental picture of the creature, they can enjoy the story, whether or not their picture is the same as my own. So why would the a red mountain-lion/mountain goat hybrid presented as a fakemon suddenly be a big deal because people won’t see the same creature unless I managed to get hired by Game Freak, in which case the exact same creature would magically become acceptable in fics?

I also think the “too much to remember” argument is more on how the information is presented than the inclusion of original creatures. We’re already writing in a franchise where we can expect about a hundred more of these critters to pop up in one go every couple of years. As I said in a previous post, if Generation 6 came out tomorrow and writers began using some of the creatures from that immediately, the reader base would not be familiar with them yet – but they’d still be acceptable to write about simply because Game Freak made them. Why? Why is a fan-made group of creatures so much more complicated than a Game Freak made one? Especially since some members have suggested making links to images of fakemon (seriously, read Phoenixsong’s post early in the thread). It’s not about the amount of info, but rather the amount of info at a time. Introduce new ‘mons as they’re relevant, and readers should be able to handle it. Saying they would be overwhelmed if you have more than two original creatures seems to underestimate the readers, in my opinion (although I doubt the sentiment was intended that way).

Since this is already getting long and I don’t want to sound too argumentative, I’ll put my last point in a spoiler.

Spoiler:- more on what if it was presented as original?:
    Last edited by Ememew; 27th November 2012 at 12:26 AM.
    Oh, look! I wrote a fanfic! Weak (One-Shot. Rated G). Can Iris convince Bianca that she can't just avoid her problems?

And another one: Mischief (One-Shot. Rated G). A little fun for October.

I took some time to make a fakemon of my own for a friend's rom hack.

Murkleech - the Poison Leech pokemon
    Murkleech from behind

It's not exactly complete- in fact, there are better versions with fixed horns and all, it's just such a hassle to get files uploaded here. Anyways, let me know what you guys think about this.

(Also, this picture file feature thing is pretty lame.)
    Last edited by Boomsta22; 17th December 2012 at 1:29 PM.

This isn't the Fan Art section - this thread is about Fakemon in fiction. It's also not a place where we literally judge one another's Fakemon. Please read the first post in a thread to know what the topic's about before responding to it, and get an idea of what each sub-forum is for so you know where to post.

~Psychic

Wellp, golden.

Got a question though, I guess- it's regarding sprites.

I'm wondering how people would go about making map sprites of pokemon. You know how in Heart Gold and Soul Silver you have pokemon follow you, and how in Diamond and Pearl, you see buneary and pikachu out and stuff. I want to make sprites in that perspective but don't know where to start.

Anyone know how to help with that?

http://www.serebiiforums.com/forumdi...71-Fan-Sprites would be the best place on these forums to look, I'd imagine. There's thread stickies including tutorials on the subject. I doubt you'd get much help here though as this is for writing rather than sprite or other visual arts along those lines.

Soa gain, this isn't the thread for that. Try asking questions to mods of the art section via PM if you need help with that.

A parody of the Pokemon Colosseum game, full of pastries and Miror B.
    Completed. Four times winner of Best Comedy/Funniest Fic.

The BBS Forums! Join in!
    Gain achievements for activity on forums & the games!

Tied to this Pokemon Magazine! Looking for contributors - check it out!
    Why should you? Well, Wynaut?
    Current article: The Coffee Guy's Rants: Remakes! He doesn't like them.
    Avatar by minty-fivestar on DA, with edited background/cropping. Fic banner by cieux.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12