Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Nickname your pokémon?

Cool Nickname your pokémon?

Let's get right to it. Do you nickname your pokémon and if so, what names do you give them? I'll start.

male Emboar: Bacon
    female Charizard: Charla
    male Arcanine: Simon (named after my reallife dog)

I am thinking about names for my female Chandelure (Charlotte or Chantal) and female Volcarona. Heatran cannot be nicknamed as he came from Sinnoh.
    Last edited by Buuz; 31st October 2012 at 12:52 PM.
    "You need stomping. And I'm a Stomptologist."

"Trust me, any problem comes up, I'll stomp it into next week! I'll Bowserize it!"

"Count Bleck, Floro Sapiens, whatever... Stomping fools is my business! Show me a fool, and I'll stomp it! I don't even need a reason!"

Rarely do I ever nickname my Pokemon, but when I do, I generally use a semi-clever portmanteau. For example, I nicknamed my Emboar "Blazorback," which is a portmanteau of blaze + razorback.

Also, at my girlfriend's suggestion, I once named my Hydreigon "Trioxcyde," because 1) it's the name of a chemical compound, 2) tri- refers to its three heads, 3) -cyde comes form "homocide," referring to its brutal nature, and 4) the I in -cide is swapped with a Y both for stylish purposes and because of the Y in its original name.
    My 3DS XL Friend Code:
    0748 - 4304 - 0124
    Friend Safari: Steel-type

My 3DS Friend Code:

3797 - 8023 - 1467
    Friend Safari: Fighting-type

Vivillon Pattern: Modern

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Zoroark View Post
    Listen, you gotta remember these things; always avoid claims of Fennekin being (or becoming) part Fighting-type, don't tick off mods, and NEVER (and I mean NEVER!) suggest that Arceus is the God of Pokemon when Endolise is online. If you somehow make this mistake, run for the hills before he attempts to murder you via tongue lashing.

I try to nickname them, but I am not very creative... I tend to take a show or a game that I like and name the Pokémon after them.
    For example, in one of my Black run, I named my Pokémon as Godzilla kaijus. Volcarona was named Mothra, Hydreigon as Gidora, etc.

In my last Leaf Green run I named them after Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica characters. LOL

I usually nickname my Pokemon. (Usually only team Pokemon, though.)
    Emboar (F): Blaze (Fire types are pretty much always named Blaze, I have no clue why I do it. xD)
    Wailord (M): Bubbles
    Lucario (F): Aura
    Eelektrick (F): Tyke (Back from when it was a Tynamo)
    (Ugh I don't have my DS w/ me so I'm getting the last two confused w/ my Black and White teams. Orz)

White 2: (I only nicknamed 2 team Pokemon on there)
    Serperior (F): はる
    Arcanine (F): Blaze
    Yes, I like Problem?

I do sometimes. Usually I name them after characters from other series. For example, I have a Kingler named Spycrab; I named Golurk "Megadeus" (after the mechs from The Big O), etc. Others end up as puns, like Excadrill being named Sandman -- cf. its abilities. Also a reference to the myth and to the role in Logan's Run (because, as we all know, Excadrill hits like a truck).
    3DS FC: 3926-4256-2399
    Ingame name: Coatlicue

The usual links

Quote Originally Posted by mjjfan10 View Post
    I usually nickname my Pokemon. (Usually only team Pokemon, though.)
    Emboar (F): Blaze (Fire types are pretty much always named Blaze, I have no clue why I do it. xD)
    Wailord (M): Bubbles
    Lucario (F): Aura
    Eelektrick (F): Tyke (Back from when it was a Tynamo)
    (Ugh I don't have my DS w/ me so I'm getting the last two confused w/ my Black and White teams. Orz)

White 2: (I only nicknamed 2 team Pokemon on there)
    Serperior (F): はる
    Arcanine (F): Blaze
    Awh, calling your Wailord bubbles is actually kind of cute. Good choice! But yeah, only nicknaming your team might not be a bad idea. Otherwise you'd have to name ALL your pokémon. Imagine doing that when trying to catch them all. .___.
    "You need stomping. And I'm a Stomptologist."

"Trust me, any problem comes up, I'll stomp it into next week! I'll Bowserize it!"

"Count Bleck, Floro Sapiens, whatever... Stomping fools is my business! Show me a fool, and I'll stomp it! I don't even need a reason!"

I rarely do nicknames but one time I nicknamed my Charizard Po. Most recent nicknaming was on my Black 2 Team where my team was nicknamed after a few good friends of mine on these forums.

Yes, Always. All of them.

For my Black 2 run, I named all of my Pokemon after They Might Be Giants albums. I ended up with Flood the Samurott, Lincoln the Magnezone, Mink Car the Arcanine, Apollo 18 the Espeon, The Else the Gliscor, and John Henry the Scrafty.

For my White 2 run, I'm just naming my 'mons whatever comes to mind when they're caught.

I nickname everything I catch.
    I always go for food. My female Chimchar was Pumpkin, female Torchic Paprika, female Mareep Cupcake, etc. Though the legendaries I always name after Greek Gods...
    I always have trouble with naming electric and steel types though that isn't lame names like 'zapper' or 'charger'.

I started nicknaming them on fifth gen so.. its pretty new to moi. I like it so far ^_^

Well I have recently started Firered and so far i have Pikachu as Volt, Nidorina as Toxic, Ivysaur as Razor, and Zubat as Poison. :P
    3DS: 1779-0094-0137

Credit to Sworn Metalhead

For my Black 2 Play-through I named my team after their Phonetic spelling from Japanese to English...
    ------------------------------------
    My team was:
    Mizukishi (Water Knight) the Samurott
    Tenohira (Palm) the Lucario
    Yakuza (Gangster, in honor of my friend) the Arcanine
    Dokufurai (Poison Fly) the Crobat
    Saryu (Sand Dragon) the Flygon
    Borutobagu (Volt Bug) the Galvantula
    ---------------------------------------
    But yeah. I did this only for my main members, I try to give other creative nickname themes too. Like with my Virizion being named Wireless. (Verizon Wireless)
    Last edited by 725roy; 30th October 2012 at 11:19 PM.

Thank you based Turpoo

I always nickname my Pokemon.

My White2 team is:
    Helen the Emboar (Named after Mt. St. Helen)
    Annie the Audino (Don't know)
    Pecan the Ampharos (Guess she's nuts) *Slapped*
    Katana the Bisharp (Weapon!)
    Dusky the Banette (Don't know)

Usually I'm uncreative with names like Toto the Feraligatr or Scar the Cacturne.

Name: Specter
    Adopt one yourself! @Pokémon Orphanage

My signature is so empty now.

I nickname my Pokemon based on monsters from the Godzilla franchise.

Most notable ones:

Sceptile - Godzilla (mainly 2000)
    Butterfree - Mothra
    Wingull - Rodan
    Feraligatr - Zilla (American Godzilla)

And today I caught Zekrom/Kyurem and named my Black Kyurem Orga.

Black 2 is as follows;

Samurott (Hakumen)
    Mienshao (Rein)
    Chandelure (Oshare'G)
    Lilligant (Petulia) (of course)
    Swoobat (AllSmiles)
    Beartic (some japanese letters? I dunno)

one helluva nuzlocke it was

"i unno man im just a pawniard"

vvv Lookie
    VO Clan/VO Xat/VO Battle Spreadsheet

Quote Originally Posted by ???2 View Post
    Awh, calling your Wailord bubbles is actually kind of cute. Good choice! But yeah, only nicknaming your team might not be a bad idea. Otherwise you'd have to name ALL your pokémon. Imagine doing that when trying to catch them all. .___.
    Heh, that's precisely what I do.

The only Pokemon I don't nickname are ones from breeding, the dream radar, or others where the "Would you like to give your Pokemon a nickname?" option doesn't come up immediately AND I'm not going to use it in a team.

So yeah, if I catch a Pokemon just to "catch them all", it gets a nickname. Not always the greatest name ever, but it gets a name. However, I spend more time on names for Pokemon I know I'm going to use on a team. Often, I like taking names from games I've played before. For example, in White2:

Zeal the Snivy (f) - a reference to Chrono Trigger, both because my Trainer is Schala and because Zeal is the Pokemon that I always use to access the Dream World
    GreenDream the Leavanny (f) - another Chrono Trigger reference because of Leavanny's green hue and the fact that they're often found in forests
    Astaroth the Whirlipede (m) - Soul Calibre reference. Both because of the way he tears up the battlefield and because it sounds cool
    Coralie the Shuckle (f) - a name from an Agatha Christie book I quite enjoyed, mostly because I've always felt that Shuckles look like they're based on coral polyps. MASSIVE coral polyps, but whatever...
    Ayla the Dwebble (f) - I was disappointed to have gotten a female Dwebble, because I've never seen a pokemon species as unfeminine as Crustle. So, I dove into my Chrono Trigger past and gave her the name of the manliest woman I've ever seen.

If I have to, I will "create" nicknames of my own without relying on past games, but I find this really hard to do properly. Some examples are Pink Drink the Miltank, Dreamheart the Musharna, Jugger the Onix, Dune Dude the Sandile, etc.

My Youtube battle videos
    My 3DS FC: 3609-1041-6416.

I have claimed Goodra. Happy slime dragons ftw!

I have too many nicknamed pokemon to put here so ill just put in some of them:
    SHELLY- From preowned Diamond. Migrated from Kanto, OT is BUTTS.
    Speedy- Infernape in Platinum.
    Flare- Emboar in Black.
    Wotter- Dewott in White.
    MR. NIDO- Nidoking migrated from Kanto in preowned Diamond, probably obtained from one of the in game trades.

I have officially claimed Cubchoo!

I think nicknames are stupid, at least most of the ones I see mentioned here are. So I never use them.

Let's get right to it. Do you nickname your pokémon and if so, what names do you give them?
    I started to do it this Generation, and even if most of my names are dumb, I still got hooked to nicknaming. I love the fact that I nicknamed my Samurott Toshiro, in honor of Toshiro Mifune.

I am thinking about names for my female Chandelure[...]
    I nicknamed mine Charlotte, because it starts with Cha- and it sounds classy and elegant to me, fitting a chandelier.

I nickname my non-legendaries. My Black 2 team is Anubis the Lucario, Angel the Cinccino (MLP referance) and Virizion the Virizion.

Credit to FrozenConstellation

Only if I can think up a good one.
    Quote Originally Posted by LizardonX View Post
    Tabitha has really let himself go, just how many lava cookies did he eat in the last 11 years?

I try to nickname all of my Pokémon, whether I use them or not. The names are mostly just common names you would hear except for the gratuitous Japanese, though I have nicknames reserved for certain species of Pokémon. For example: I'll name a female Marill "Mousey", and only "Mousey" because I'm uncreative, and also because it reminds me of my first Marill from Silver.
    Winner of Best Pokémon/Pokémon Fic of 2013 in the Shipping Oscars
    Current Chapter: Chapter Ten - 3/17/14 / Current: Requiem I - 11/17/14 - Chapter 21 progress: 66%
    I survived Pupa.

on rare occasions yes
    here are a few pokemon I have that I have given nicknames to.
    jaws the sharpedo(who saw that one coming you know besides from everyone)
    darkcrystl the shiny gigalith(not sure why I decided to nickname her that I thought it sounded good)
    I use to own a typhlosion nicknamed volcano back during generation 2 then I restarted my game and he "died".
    I am thinking about getting 2 volcarona one male and one female and nicknaming them mothra and mothra leo
    finally, I have 2 zoroark one nicknamed shadowwolf who is male and the other shadowfox who is female.
    and that is all the nicknames I can think of for now.
    If you believe in Jesus Christ put this in your profile and don't just ignore this, because in the Bible it says,
    If you deny me, I will deny you in front of my Father at the gates of Heaven.
    † I am a Christian and proud of it! Copy and paste this if you are too.†
    for those of you who are interested here is my link to my youtube account: http://www.youtube.com/user/pokedigijedi

Trade shop: pokedigijedi's bounty board
    3DS FRIEND CODE: 4382-2152-1254 friend safari type: poison pokemon ariados, kakuna, and muk. please don't take too long too add me it drives me crazy and I will delete your friend code

I nickname anything and everything that can be nicknamed. I love abusing the name system for obscure pop culture references and jokes, and it quite honestly disappoints me when something comes through a trade or event unnamed (Unless it's Arceus, because he has the best standard name this side of Andromeda.)

And now, the volley marathon of all my favorite names for your enjoyment (Or mild annoyance):

SNIVY: Smugleaf, Smugvine, Smuglord, Beelzebub, Excalibur, Frenchy

ZEKROM: Chaos

RESHIRAM: Cosmos

ARCEUS: Zeus/Jupiter/Alpha/Etcetera

STARAPTOR: Raymond

MACHAMP: Enrage Guy

REGIROCK: Elvis (He protects the world with the power of ROCK AND ROLL.)

If you found the Final Fantasy reference, you get a cookie.

Creating sentience is simple. Accepting it, however, is harder than it looks.

Here are some nicknames:

Delcatty - Tiger Lily
    Espeon - MorningSun
    Umbreon - Moonlight
    Flareon - SolarFlare
    Vaporeon - Sapphire
    Starmie - Jewel, Gem, and Shuichi
    Leafeon - Sage
    Eevee - Loveless and Ritsuka
    Latias and Dragonair - Dragonette
    Braviary - War
    Serperior - Jalorda