Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: The Fan Fiction Club

Default The Fan Fiction Club

++The Fan Fiction Club++
    Take Six!

Welcome to the brand-new Fan Fiction club! Whether you hide in basements composing grand (or un-grand) tales based on a fandom, or even just read them, then this is the place for you!

Here, you can discuss anything to do with Fan Fiction, or writing in general - plot, characters used, writing styles, and which Pokemon you use in your fics - or take up a writing challenge, or impose a deadline on yourself in your writing projects, which the other members can then kindly remind you about. Cough.

This is the SIXTH version of such a club - after two years and 39 pages of the previous version it started to get kinda slow, so I felt it best to just let it wait a month and give it a fresh restart. In order from 1st to 5th for archive's sake:

1st Fan Fiction Club - Owner: Tale
    2nd Fan Fiction Club - Owner: Ledian_X
    3rd Fan Fiction Club - Owner: Psychic
    4th Fan Fiction Club - Owner: Buraddo Aipom
    5th Fan Fiction Club - Owner: bobandbill

Fan Fiction Club Rules
    For they're just that awesome.

• All Forum rules and Club Forum rules apply.
    • To join, you have to have some sort of interest in Fan Fiction (Otherwise, what are you doing here?) Whether you write it, or just read it, etc, it doesn't matter.
    • No advertising allowed of your fics. The exception to this is when you first post here to join, in which you can mention and link to your fanfics - but after that, no linking, please. You are also allowed to mention in posts that you have updated your fic, without links, but don't just post to say you updated - include it with something else as well, such as a response to a topic. (As that goes against the one-liner club rule).
    • No reviews or criticism (constructive or not) of fics here, please - that's what their fic thread is for. You can talk about fics, but reviews go there.
    • If there is a new, active topic (less than a day old minimum), than please refrain from making a new topic - no need to have several running around at the same time. Otherwise, go ahead and make one!
    • Respect others - don't knock down other people's beliefs, whatever it may be. Everyone is equal here.
    • If you wish for a 'deadline', simply post requesting one here (remember the no-one-liner Club rule, however). Same goes for reminding others about their deadlines - post it with something else (e.g. reply to a topic), or do it outside of this thread.

To become a member

If you want to become a member - just ask in the thread! As long as you have an interest in it, you're welcome. When joining, please mention what is your interest with fan fiction/writing, and feel free to mention any fics you have made as well. You can also mention your favourite authors, books, yourself, whatever you like (as long as it's relevant).

Member's List

bobandbill
    The Great Butler
    Psychic
    Bay
    MooseSmuggler
    Ysavvryl
    Dramatic Melody
    Neo Pikachu
    Griff4815
    -Silver-
    Flame Mistress
    Porgon-XYZ
    SerenadeSP
    harryheart
    ilovedragonites
    phoopes
    purple_drake
    Gelatino95
    JX Valentine
    Magical Pokemon
    Asuka
    ShinyRaikou
    Dialga6
    [Imaginative]:[Clockwork]
    Cosmic Fury
    Dragonitor
    gorilla101
    PalmerDawn
    XanderKetsu
    co2
    YaDunGoofed
    Missingno. Master
    Mon1010
    knightfall
    Kutie Pie
    Shadow Lucario
    Aura of Twilight
    Winterbreezesrule
    esilver
    Perilous Plaything
    Earth Wolf-Howl
    Krazy95
    AquaRegisteel
    C.Gholy
    evolutionrex
    bobyjoe5000
    Contest_Lover
    Scaldaver
    Zibdas
    Agent Tectonic
    Srivats123
    CandleReaper
    katiekitten
    Hero of Ideals
    Moonlight Absol
    stanlysmith
    x-sayrie-x
    Jordie
    Sid87
    RoseQuartz
    Cresselia92
    DuSkullMan
    the cricket
    CraziedCreator
    PokemonHero
    gorgonfish
    Ducklett12

Random Writing Challenges!

Every so often there'll be a writing challenge for you to do, if you wish. A record for those who have succeeded will be kept. Post it here once completed - unless you write enough and wish to post in the Fanfiction Section, in which case, link to it here. Feel free to do any previous challenges as well.

Currently:
    ~Nothing at all~

Previous Prompts!
        Spoiler:- List of prompts:

Write a short Drabble or a One-Shot about a Shipping you absolutely despise!
    katiekitten

Deadlines!

Please see the previous club for a list of previous deadlines attempted/completed.

If you wish to request a deadline - a date for you to complete a review/beta/chapter/story by then, then simply ask for one here, and it'll be added to the first post! This is for those authors who want to keep to a schedule. But beware - if you take one, and fail to complete it... well, other members may shout at you about it. Kindly, of course. >:] Of course even just getting part of your aim done due to the deadline is better than nothing!

Please shout at remind people nearing their deadline/failing to complete within a post (i.e. don't just post that - include it with a reply to a topic, for instance), or VM them.

Current:
    Kutie Pie: Write a chapter by 28th July 14th October

Spoiler:- Previous deadlines:

Banners:

Courtesy of Dragonitor

And that's all!
    Suggest anything else you want to see in this version of the club!

Old topics:
        Spoiler:- Old topics:

What's a guilty pleasure you have when writing stories?
    Last edited by bobandbill; 12th September 2012 at 2:24 PM.

A parody of the Pokemon Colosseum game, full of pastries and Miror B.
    Completed. Four times winner of Best Comedy/Funniest Fic.

The BBS Forums! Join in!
    Gain achievements for activity on forums & the games!

Tied to this Pokemon Magazine! Looking for contributors - check it out!
    Why should you? Well, Wynaut?
    Current article: The Coffee Guy's Rants: Remakes! He doesn't like them.
    Avatar by minty-fivestar on DA, with edited background/cropping. Fic banner by cieux.

I'm doing NaNo. It'll be my first time. Luckily, I already have a story prepared to write.

(Consider this my entry too XD)

(Banner by Matori)
    Beyond all ideals, the truth shall set you free...
    Most Recent: 17: The Bard and the Diva
    Next: Winter of Discontent

The steps on the road to the truth.
    The Firestorm Rebellion
    The Victory Star of Fate

Glacidia Network - The Home for Fanworks
    Best Wishes appreciation blog

FIRST. Edit: Damn it, GB. Make that SECOND. :<

Wait, what is fan fiction, again? It rings a bell, yet I'm not quite sure...

Anyhow, I've enjoyed writing since the fifth grade but I don't get a lot done lately. I like reading, writing and reviewing fics, though I haven't produced a new one in a number of years. I keep a writing journal which I have not updated since December, and that used to be how I got at least a little daily writing done. Uh, also I'm the reason the results of the last contest still aren't out. I'm terrible with these things.

Are you doing NaNoWriMo this year?
    I intend to try! I have no idea how it'll work out with university and all, but it's inspired by the Redwall series, about a Skarmory warlord who comes to rule half the Johto skies. I have no idea how it's going to go and I still have a lot of planning I should get done. But I figure I'll at least give it a shot.

~Psychic

Oh, oh, I would like to join (again XD)!

Well, I had been writing and reviewing Pokemon fanfiction for almost six years now. The last Pokemon fic I had completed was Nothing, Everything, pretty much a Pokemonized version of The Da Vinci Code, back in 2009 and it was a blast writing it. I then took a short hiatus from Pokmeon fanfic writing, but am writing some one shots of it here and there, the latest one being a N and Hilbert friendship fic called Slumber Party.

I also read and review fics from other fandoms. Last time I mentioned reading Ouran High School Host Club and Naruto. Both of them let's just say I'm not in the fandom anymore. XD Instead, I'm now obsessed with Fullmetal Alchemist and had been writing quite a lot of fics for that series, which you can checked them out in my FFnet and A03 account (links in my signature). FMA might or might be the reason why I haven't done much Pokemon fanfic writing for a while. :x Oh, and I wrote a Homestuck fic based around one of the updates. I have an AU idea that would make a nice short chaptered fic, but I'll need to make time to plan that.

Yep! Already mentioned I'll be doing two stories for it, one that just needs a couple more chapters and another that needed some brainstorming. My goal isn't really to get to the 50k mark and instead just getting those two projects finished, wee.
    Last edited by Bay; 31st October 2011 at 8:12 AM.

Tumblr | FFnet | Author's Profile| Archive of Our Own | Banner: Umi Mizuno
    I'm still writing, but probably not much Pokemon stuff at the moment. HAM!

Well, I guess this'll be my entry into this club:

I've had an interest in writing for a long time. I wrote my first fanfic in my senior year of high school (it was a train-wreck, and thankfully is long gone). Since that train-wreck of a story, I've learned a few things (and gotten engaged to a skilled writer), and am looking to try again.

Yep. This'll be my first year. I've tried every year since my fiancee first told me about it, but this is the first year I have a concrete idea to go on. I intend to do a Stargate fanfiction to tie up all of the loose ends from the series, and give a backstory to a race of aliens that was only mentioned occasionally in passing (I always felt they deserved to have a real story, and I'm gonna provide it). I doubt I'll get 50,000 words, but if that's the NaNoWriMo number, then I'll shoot for it. I intend to have a "trailer" for it by the end of the first week (so, by this Friday?), and have it started by the following week. I guess that would be my deadline, so if I don't make it, someone nag me please?

That deadline is trailer by 11/5, first chapter by 11/12. Keep me on track, guys, I'm VERY scatterbrained xD

Sorry if that was long-winded. I hope I'll fit in here ^_^

Quote Originally Posted by Tumblr User Godiscobalt
    “A good writer with a sad idea and a malicious side is a person to fear.”
    My writing blog

Spoiler:- Contact Info:

^Don't worry about being long-winded, MooseSmuggler. Many of us are writers, after all.

Joining again. I've been writing for a decade and a half now, but I've only been doing fanfiction for the past, er, five or six years (can't say exactly). I usually keep my current running fanfics in my sig. They're not updating quite as often as I used to do, but I'm still fairly active. Pokedex One-Shots is exactly what it sounds like, an anthology of one-shots relating to the Pokedex. I do have a large percentage of Pokemon covered in it; I managed to stay over fifty percent when Black and White came out.

ClicheStorm is where I took several 'bad' premises for a fanfic, turned them way up, and strung them together to see just how far it could go and still be considered 'good'. It's a Black and White retelling; a 'bad' start is often said to be giving the MC a really special and rare stater, so I gave mine Kyurem (not a shiny, though). I am working to keep it still enjoyable. It's certainly fun to write.

On NaNoWriMo, of course I'm participating (I started that thread). Anybody whose followed me on that before will know just how fast I can write... feel free to send a PM to me for help, if you want.
    Pokedex OS- Still trying to capture every single Pokemon out there in words: 648/718 Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, and Sinnoh complete!

Fluer Noir- A story of a black flower, a shameful history, and magic.

Can I join? Can I join? =D

I don't know when exactly I started delving into the world of fan fiction, but the first fan fiction I posted in public [which was in this forum] was back in 2007. Since then, I've been on and off with fan fiction, but ever since I took more and more interest in writing, I also began to see fan fiction in a more serious light. I still only stuck to Pokemon, though, since it's honestly the only fandom I follow [and I only follow like five or something] that's really worth writing fan fiction for. XD

Right now my body of fan fiction work consists of a completed chaptered fic, a discontinued chaptered fic, a series of one-shots which contains six out of a planned seventeen made, and a one-shot that functioned as a writing exercise in the midst of one of my exam weeks this year. But I plan to add on that list with my 2011 NaNo effort, a sequel to the completed chaptered fic. And speaking of which...

I'm actually taking a short [but it's turning out to be quite a long one!] break from it now! I participated and won back in 2008, participated and lost back in 2009, and didn't participate last year. It's a blast so far, and hopefully I reach my 50k goal for a second time!

Berries -- Escape Rope -- A Friday

images were taken from three specific pages of Serebii.net

Hey guys.

I used to write fan fiction, but I stopped after completing a massive, four part Pokemon fan fiction called Trial of Juno that took me roughly seven years to write. It was quite a struggle to finish it, but I still enjoyed it and I'm glad I actually completed it considering how many fics never get even close to the end, and how many rough times I had with this one. Adding all four parts together, it's over 700 pages. Thing is, I think I made it too long, and even though it has a lot of epic battles, intrigue, and suspense throughout a world of Pokemon and even through the Pokemon versions of Heaven and Hell (Utopia and the Abyss), 700 pages is an enormous amount of stuff to read, and not too many people were willing to read it all the way through. Only two people I know read the entire thing, but they both said they really loved it. One of them liked it to the point where he started his own fan fiction based on the universe of Trial of Juno, but I don't think he ever finished it. I also made a role play based on the storyline, and that was extremely popular, but I just think 700 pages took it too long and too far. Either way, it was still enjoyable to write.

Now, I just stick with trying to come up with purely original material instead of basing something on a fandom. I haven't really written anything since Trial of Juno, but NaNoWriMo seems like a good opportunity to get back into action.

Hopefully I'll have the time to do it, but I'll still give it a shot.

My story idea focuses on a post-apocalyptic setting with some fantasy elements mixed in. The world of Baladax is locked in a state where most cities and towns are only shells of their once former urban glory, the result of horrific spells in the form of natural disasters on behalf of cultists that were self-proclaimed gods as a result of their extreme power. Now, the war is about technology and innovation struggling to survive against the science-bending realm of magic. Both sides are guilty of evil and cruelty, but slowly coming into the picture is the presence of a far greater evil, one that simply plans on rewarding the victor with complete annihilation.

Among the savage chaos is Kaxo, an agent of some secret celestial society, taking on the form of a lowly and weakened Featherhare (a winged rabbit-like creature with a slight crest). Problem is, the memories of his mission are a train wreck, and he remembers parts but can't put it together in a way that makes sense. Meanwhile, he's the only one that bears critcal knowledge of the darker forces of oblivion that have been luring and enrapturing victims, promising them power and life when it's nothing but a well-fabricated lie. However, Kaxo, taking on the form of a race of creatures that are the borderline equivalent of slaves made to do medical work (something Featherhares excel at), he has trouble just trying to prove he's not another useless mouth to feed to the group of brutal raiders that pick him up in the middle of a city ruins early in the story. Unlike the other Featherhares, Kaxo is dirty and unkempt, his wings are broken, and with his memories in shambles, others believe he's just plain stupid. To avoid making a bad situation worse, he keeps quiet, does what he can to prove himself he's not a waste of space, all while slowly trying to remember who he really is, where he came from, why he's on Baladax in the first place, and what he needs to do. The whole time, the war that still rages on constantly drags him into savage and dire situations. Everyone in Baladax is guilty of sin, and even Kaxo himself plunges into that kind of darkness on occasion, but it's really only him that sees the small good part of everybody, even the ruthless band of raiders that "own" him, and somehow, he believes that may be the reason why he's there.

Those are my beginning ideas. I have kind of a faint idea of what the ending will be like, but I never really set anything in stone until I get there.

I'd like to join again. For my fics, see my Author's profile in my signature.

I'm not sure yet. I might try to, but I know I won't finish it. I have another story I'm trying to finish, so we'll see whether I start a new one or not. I may.
    Claimed: Grovyle - November 10th, 2013
    Chapter 20 is up.

Welcome all to the club (in many cases, again! =p). You should be all added to the list.

As for myself, I'm not doing NaNo. I'm too busy dealing with my uni exams that are coming up for that sadly. And when I do have free time I'll have some other things to use it up on anyway. =p

The BBS Forums! Join in!

Avatar by minty-fivestar on DA, with edited background/cropping. Fic banner by cieux.

I would like to join. I've been writing fanfiction for a long time. 2 years to be exact. But yeah I wrote for like 3 different fandoms and my writing as progressively gotten better. I do admit, this fandom is pretty strict when it comes to writing but I have gotten better at it by writing here.

I have so many out there but the current ones are in my signature. Oh and I'm STILL trying to finish the one in my banner.
    岩根雅明=♡

I'd like to join, I want to be an author when I grow up, and I guess fan fiction, both reading it and writing a bit of it, would help me at least a little (well, at least more than reading a boring old classic book that no one wants to read, including me).

It's impossible for me to do NaMo, I guess. I mean, I've got homework and everything, and I don't think anyone my age would be able to write anything that long in a month...

Currently, I'm reading a lot of Pokémon fics (unsurprisingly), and I've got an original one-shot-ish story inside my head. I'm about two thirds of the way through, and it was originally for the school magazine, but it went over the word limit... Oh well.

I'd like to join!:P I started a fanfic a few months back and it's going pretty good I guess. Already have an Author's profile, so go look it up if you want to know my story!(hey, I made a pun!) EDIT: Here it is if your lazy!

Hmm... I'm not sure at the moment. I have alot of school work, and thinking up a novel and writing it so quickly could be hard. I'll try, and I'll see how it works out!^^
    Last edited by Porgon-XYZ; 3rd November 2011 at 11:15 PM.

Credit to FrostStorm for the banner; YOU ARE MAJESTIC FROSTSTORM

3DS FC: 4940 6396 1803

"Because I am the man... who made a typo in his own name while registering..."

Re-joining.

Yep. I probably won't make it, but I hope to at least exceed my original end-mark (18000). Then again I'm not as busy this year, so that most likely will happen.
    Yu-Gi-Oh: World Tour
    ~NEW~
    A collab fic (w/ Brandy Beavers & Uninspired Author)
    Second Stop is up [11/18/14]

Heroic Potential
    A Yugioh! fic. Chapter 20 is up [12/14/13]

Re-joining as well! Love this club! Although I don't post much reading people's comments and own posts is helpful!

I really wanted to, was hoping to actually but unfortunately due to other commitments such as college I've not been able to... next year I'll be a lot more free which will be good so really want to do it!

Most Recent Chapter - Chapter 31: Don't Forget Me - Posted 26/01/13
    Credits to Sweet May and DanChimchar

I will pursue You, I will pursue Your presence

I'm joining in hope of learning from this. Anything to write something better than that lousy Zero to Hero I dared attempt. Just average did not cut it for me. But eventually I'll return to the field of fan fiction writing and rock everyone's socks off hopefully do better. So...yeah.

I thought about giving it a shot, but our ant problems saw to that. Maybe next year. XP
    ~Fact of the Whenever~
    Life gives you lemons because a large portion of humanity wasn't thankful for the grapes it already had. Please treat all fruit with respect.

Is the most recycled club on Serebii? Lol, I'm rejoining. I haven't been writing fan fiction for long, only a couple of months, but it's something I love to do in my spare time. Spare time? Who has that nowadays?

I am doing NaNoWriMo this year, but I haven't even completed a chapter yet in the continuation of my fic. I normally like to write things a little bit at a time, so the hectic pace of NaNoWriMo is a big change for me. It also doesn't help that I'm sick, had states for water polo take up a whole weekend, have writer's block, have 5 brothers to share a computer with... *shot* I try my best to write as much per day as possible, but it's really hard. Then again, that's what NaNoWriMo is supposed to be.

(ramble over)
    Hi, I'm part of the staff on Pokemon Showdown!, if you have any questions or need any help, VM or PM me.

I had to drop NaNoWriMo on the account of... alright, I'll be brutally honest here, Battlefield 3, and I'm not really ashamed to admit it. Seriously, I was looking forward to that game well over a year and it's gone well beyond my expectations, and when I weigh my free time writing a story versus playing a few rounds with friends and having a really good time with a seriously fun and fantastically designed game, the NaNo story didn't stand a chance. Plus, I'll be honest, November is one of the worst months I can think of when it comes to writing a 50K story. Too darn busy with too many distractions. July or August would have been way better.

Anyway, I'm going to repost Trial of Juno, but it's a pretty big story with loads of chapters. I was thinking of posting it at the pace of one chapter a day. Think that's too fast, or does it seem about right (its chapters are roughly 3.5-5 pages long)? I also plan on polishing it a bit when it comes to presentation, such as making new header banners. I just need to know what other people feel may be a good and comfortable posting speed to ensure people maybe give it a read, but don't get quickly left in the dust and then don't keep up with it.

That should be everyone else added to the first post, hopefully!
    Is the most recycled club on Serebii?
    Well, given this is the sixth club in... well, basically six years, a new club made on average for the fanfic club is arguably pretty good given how often we fall into procastination and whatnot for our own fics. ;p
    I was thinking of posting it at the pace of one chapter a day. Think that's too fast, or does it seem about right (its chapters are roughly 3.5-5 pages long)?
    Each to their own but I think a few days at least minimum is what you'd be aiming for, even with short chapters. A week per chapter imo tends to work decently from what I've seen but if you want to go faster than that, a chapter a day is probably too fast.

The BBS Forums! Join in!

Well, I failed to meet my deadline for the trailer :/ I couldn't even start. I think I'm gonna request a deadline from you guys instead of doing an arbitrary one myself.

So, here's the situation: I haven't started the story or the trailer. I have a general idea of what I want to do, enough to do the trailer at least. It's irrelevant, but I DID pick a song for the trailer xD

So can I request a deadline to have my trailer done? You guys probably know the timeframe to do these kinds of things better than I do, so perhaps getting a deadline from someone more skilled than me would help.

Quote Originally Posted by Tumblr User Godiscobalt
    “A good writer with a sad idea and a malicious side is a person to fear.”
    My writing blog

Spoiler:- Contact Info:

Quote Originally Posted by bobandbill View Post
    Each to their own but I think a few days at least minimum is what you'd be aiming for, even with short chapters. A week per chapter imo tends to work decently from what I've seen but if you want to go faster than that, a chapter a day is probably too fast.
    I'm considering the option of combining every two chapters together so they don't look as short. Might need a bit of tweaking to ensure they flow seamlessly into each other, but that shouldn't be too difficult.

As for posting pace, I'm thinking something around once every three days. Otherwise, if I only post once a week, it will take me at least two years to post everything.

Quote Originally Posted by MooseSmuggler View Post
    Well, I failed to meet my deadline for the trailer :/ I couldn't even start. I think I'm gonna request a deadline from you guys instead of doing an arbitrary one myself.

So, here's the situation: I haven't started the story or the trailer. I have a general idea of what I want to do, enough to do the trailer at least. It's irrelevant, but I DID pick a song for the trailer xD

So can I request a deadline to have my trailer done? You guys probably know the timeframe to do these kinds of things better than I do, so perhaps getting a deadline from someone more skilled than me would help.
    Making trailers for fan fictions is new to me, but if it's what I think it is and works the same way a movie trailer does, then I suggest this:

I say work on the story first, then do the trailer. A trailer is really meant to be a kind of preview and advertisement to a movie. Thing is, if you do a trailer before doing the story, you're relying too much off of ideas you only just brainstormed and haven't committed to yet. You don't want to set things in stone like that, just in case you change your mind later on and don't want those particular events to happen. Really, the best time to make a trailer is after the story is done or very close to done. You don't want to show a preview of things that won't actually ever happen.

Alright, I'll contribute with a topic. Of topicness!

What genre(s) as a general rule do you like/prefer to do?

I'm a rather well-rounded guy, but my preferences are action/adventure, friendship, sci-fi, and comedy. They seem like ones where you have the most possibilities for any plot twist or funny phrase. I'm a diversity fanboy, if you haven't noticed. :P
    ~Fact of the Whenever~
    Life gives you lemons because a large portion of humanity wasn't thankful for the grapes it already had. Please treat all fruit with respect.

Usually something adventure or fantasy related, although I never strictly limit myself into a particular genre, and enjoy dashing aspects of other genres in there as well. Horror and comedy can work brilliantly together if done with care and clever thinking, such as in the case of Stephen King's IT. Meanwhile, the movie Avatar was a great demonstration of how science fiction and fantasy can blend well together. Meanwhile, you could consider Harry Potter to be a blend of fantasy and horror.

But yeah, the more wild and "out there" an idea may seem, the more you distinguish it from everything else. It is risky and could make your story totally flop, but it also could work greatly in your favor.

Agree with Neo Pikachu that the trailer should be probably made once you've got more of an idea/writing done for your story. (Of course though if you just plan to post chapters as you write them which is fine then maybe it is not as applicable).

Comedy without a doubt - I like reading all sorts of stuff and have tried writing other ones too but comedy is the one I enjoy most to read or to write.

The BBS Forums! Join in!

Fantasy, usually, but that's so broad that it can encompass anything.

But one of my favorite things to do in fanfiction, especially in action-heavy fandoms, is to slow things down and do a slice-of-life story. Figure out what these characters do in their down time, what they're like when they're not in battle. Sometimes it's a little hard to find readers of that kind of thing, because they expect flashy battles and lots of action, but I think the result's worth a bit of obscurity.
    Pokedex OS- Still trying to capture every single Pokemon out there in words: 648/718 Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, and Sinnoh complete!

Fluer Noir- A story of a black flower, a shameful history, and magic.

Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast