Thread: choosing an adapter for Intel Wireless Display

Default choosing an adapter for Intel Wireless Display

I'm looking to get Intel Wireless Display capability on my new laptop, so I will need an adapter. This is the one I am considering. I was particularly drawn to it because it has HDMI out for my TV and SPDIF out for my stereo, allowing me to wirelessly play both video and music in the highest quality possible. I read the specs, and I see that the video is 1080p @ 30 FPS using H.264 compression. I know that 1080p is the highest resolution, but is 30 FPS the best frame rate I can get with IWD? How about the H.264 compression; is that good, or is there something better?

Thanks!
    My other Rotom is a washing machine.

30 FPS is what all NTSC (North American) DVD's play at. Many video files are encoded at 23.98 FPS. Other than video games, 30 FPS should be enough.

As for the H.264 compression, it is the best codec for video compression depending on the encoder and it's settings. x264 does the best job by far at encoding H.264 files.

Since the website doesn't elaborate into the details of the compression algorithm, it's kind of ambiguous as to how good the quality will be.
    Feel free to PM me if you have tech problems or questions.
    Credit for the signature goes to me.

Quote Originally Posted by GetOutOfBox View Post
    30 FPS is what all NTSC (North American) DVD's play at. Many video files are encoded at 23.98 FPS. Other than video games, 30 FPS should be enough.

As for the H.264 compression, it is the best codec for video compression depending on the encoder and it's settings. x264 does the best job by far at encoding H.264 files.

Since the website doesn't elaborate into the details of the compression algorithm, it's kind of ambiguous as to how good the quality will be.
    Thanks for the quick reply. I emailed D-Link and asked for additional information on the compression algorithm if possible.
    My other Rotom is a washing machine.

Why would you want 30fps when you can go 60?

3DS Friend Code: 2337-4608-0376
    Most Recent Shiny: - 868 eggs | Current Hunt:

To sum up what you're asking:

30fps is normal and there are almost no movies being made so they can do 60 fps (I think The Hobbit is the first I know which goes above 30 fps (to 48fps to be precise)).

h.264 is a compression format which is being used in the MP4 encoding format and several other formats. It's a certain way of telling the screen how to fill itself with colors. There are other formats being more useful for several types of screens but nowadays h.264 is the one most used and most supported.

There are other ways ofcourse but always follow this rule CABLES > WIRELESS

Cables are made to have no interference while wireless might have problems with this and as such may decrease display quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Green Blockhead View Post
    Why would you want 30fps when you can go 60?
    Since for movies or series they use techniques to smooth things up at 30 fps, there is literally no difference if you would play the same encode movie at 60 or 30 fps, even 1000 fps wouldn't change a thing in how the movie is displayed. Also I don't get it why people always want 60 fps, the percentage of people seeing the difference on things like computer games (where there is a difference between 30 en 40-45 fps, due to the absence of a focus) between these two is very low. At 45fps only 5,5% of the population does remarkably see the difference between 45 fps and 46 fps. The only reason why some people think there is a surplus in this is because their display is annoyed with ghosting :-)

I hope this clears things up about 30 fps and 60 fps.

Quote Originally Posted by dragonskull View Post
    To sum up what you're asking:

30fps is normal and there are almost no movies being made so they can do 60 fps (I think The Hobbit is the first I know which goes above 30 fps (to 48fps to be precise)).

h.264 is a compression format which is being used in the MP4 encoding format and several other formats. It's a certain way of telling the screen how to fill itself with colors. There are other formats being more useful for several types of screens but nowadays h.264 is the one most used and most supported.

There are other ways ofcourse but always follow this rule CABLES > WIRELESS

Cables are made to have no interference while wireless might have problems with this and as such may decrease display quality.

Since for movies or series they use techniques to smooth things up at 30 fps, there is literally no difference if you would play the same encode movie at 60 or 30 fps, even 1000 fps wouldn't change a thing in how the movie is displayed. Also I don't get it why people always want 60 fps, the percentage of people seeing the difference on things like computer games (where there is a difference between 30 en 40-45 fps, due to the absence of a focus) between these two is very low. At 45fps only 5,5% of the population does remarkably see the difference between 45 fps and 46 fps. The only reason why some people think there is a surplus in this is because their display is annoyed with ghosting :-)

I hope this clears things up about 30 fps and 60 fps.
    Eh, you got a point. I personally like seeing FPS results on my games go above 30 or 40, the minimum I consider playable is 25. I treat 60fps as a perfect sign that my laptop is a beast.

3DS Friend Code: 2337-4608-0376
    Most Recent Shiny: - 868 eggs | Current Hunt:

Indeed :P but 60fps is with vsync turned on, if your laptops gives 60fps flat all the time and you would like to see more digits, turning that function off may skyrocket the fps figure. (But may cause some irregular display)