Thread: Formatting SD Card

Default Formatting SD Card

So, I put the SD Card that came with my 3DS into my laptop to import some photos. I've done this multiple times before and it worked fine, but now my laptop is telling me I need to format it before it can be viewed, and then goes on to inform me that reformatting will erase all of the data. When I put the SD Card into my 3DS, it tells me that the SD Card isn't recognized and doesn't load up anything. Nintendo tells me that it needs to be formatted as FAT 16, but of course my laptop won't offer me the option to format it to that when I load it up.

Put more simply, my SD Card won't work on either my 3DS or my laptop, and needs to be reformatted (which would delete all of the data), but can't be reformatted to the format it needs to be in.

How f*cked am I? Is there any way at all to retrieve the data on my SD Card?

SkittyOnWailord is offline ☣ⓈⓀⒾⓉⓉⓎⓄⓃⓌⒶⒾⓁⓄⓇⒹ☣

It sounds like you somehow turned the system off while it was saving something. But I didn't think that kind of thing was a problem these days.
    Since it seems all the data on that SD card was corrupted, the only way to get the data back would be to to have someone do a data recovery, which is probably too expensive than you want to pay.

http://www.geeksquad.com/services/co...-recovery.aspx

^Best Buy would do it for a minimum of $249 for example. Data recovery is generally only used for small/medium sized companies than lose alot of their buisness's information.

As for it being formatted to FAT 16. The 3DS should be able to do that from its system menu. I just don't remember exactly where the option is.
    なにがでるかな!?

I'm here, I'm furry, And I'll try not to shed. =^_^=

Chimecho👉🎐 Octillery👉🐙 Piplup👉🐧 Omanyte👉🐚 Scolipede👉🐛 Wailord👉🐳 Lumineon👉🐠 Torkoal👉🐢 Pidove👉🐤 Skitty👉🐱

Why does a new system like 3DS use such an archaic file system, anyway? I've been able to swap my smartphone formatted SD card between my phone, my DSi, and my Wii. Haven't tried my 3DS yet, but I don't believe the 3DS uses a different file system from the others. If it truly does, your best bet would be to try to make the 3DS format the card, since most computers can only format in NTFS and FAT32 nowadays, if that.

I looked through the settings though, and can't find any option to format the card. I've done a format of a micro SD card with my phone attached as a drive to my computer and my DSi would read it afterward, so I think if you just format it using your computer (choose FAT32 file system) the 3DS should be able to read it. What have you got to lose? You already can't access the data. Try it.

Of course if you're using a micro SD card, you'll need an adapter to allow it to be read by anything other than phones and cameras.
    Last edited by bronislav84; 2nd November 2012 at 5:03 PM.

Banner by the illustrious Avenger Angel

Bronislav is my Name and 1984 is my Birth year. If you can't say my name, just call me Bron or Slavik.

I'm using the SD card that came with my system. I guess since all of the purchases should be able to made again anyway, I may as well just reformat it. My laptop lets me reformat to FAT, NTFS, FAT32, and exFAT.

I'm looking at things on the Intergoogle, and though Nintendo says it needs to be FAT16, apparently it works as FAT32.

I've seen some sites claiming to offer installable programs for recovering data - are these worth looking into at all?

Go with FAT32, my 3DS and DSi understands this.

With FAT16, the upper limit of "disk" size is less than some SD Cards, at 8GB max. (Actually Depending on which variant, the earliest version known has 20Mb disk size limit, but in those days programmes where usually less than 1 Mb.)

As for Purchases, it should be just downloaded again as the system keeps track of the actual sales, so no need to buy Dream Radar again. You will have lost your save files though.
    Writing LJ Twitter Raptr

MikeSharpeWriter.com -Project Elfish Jarate

3DS - 3007 - 8991 - 4413 (VM/PM me to add you)

Yeah, I know that, but what I want is the save data. Is there any way I can get that back? At all? Even just some?

Default Re:

Hi,

When you suffer from data loss in SD card device, you don’t need to go anywhere. Just pick up the right tool for data recovery and extract all the data. While choosing the recovery software, you should make sure that the software you are using does not hamper the original data while recovering them from corrupted drives of sd card. Also, the tool should perform accurate recovery of lost items.such type of Data recovery Tool is Kernel Data Recovery software.

You can take more information from here http://www.softwarerecovery.org/memo...-recovery.html