Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Star Wars discussion

Quote Originally Posted by BJPalmer85 View Post
    My guess would be that they turn them into EU books.

B
    Maybe that will happen.

Also, everyone should check this:
    http://www.scifinow.co.uk/news/37992...n-6-cancelled/

It looks like there's going to be a new Star Wars series.
    Welcome back Charizard! I've missed you so much! <3

Quote Originally Posted by Charizard-Fan View Post
    Thanks. I wonder what will happen to the remaining episodes.
    Maybe on DVD?? Or just on disney I guess...
    Proud claimer of Cyndaquil and Ezio Auditore from Assassin's Creed !!
    Also proud claimer of Assassin's Creed 2 the game!!
    Just became the proud claimer of the Marvel's Agent's of S.H.I.E.L.D. TV show ^_^!!!

I am not entire sure they are throwing out the EU. Disney said that the script will be all original, which means that it could be a story that does not center around EU material but could still have Characters from the EU.

If they do anything to destroy the OG movies and EU conncetion I will not watch them.
    They've made it pretty clear that they aren't going to consider themselves beholden to any existing EU material. You should prepare for the significant possibility that significant portions and elements of the EU could very well be rendered inert sooner rather than later.

you might not agree if Disney discredits the entire EU, which includes Clone Wars
    See previous response. People who hold on to the EU as gospel should have put themselves on notice the second these new movies were announced, because there was never any way that the production of these new films was going to end up limited entirely or even partially by piles of novels, games and comic books.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkS Umbreon View Post
    For me, Disney has done the right thing. Their priority now is to get Episode VII out, and if that means the reallocation of resources, so be it. As a fan, I'm satisfied... Unlike that whinging co-host on RebelForce Radio, Jimmy Mac.
    Production of The Clone Wars was not sapping any resources from the elements of Lucasfilm that are now dedicated to movie production. They cancelled the series because they want to take those television production elements and turn them towards new projects.

My guess would be that they turn them into EU books.
    Books...?

If they're already partially or completely finished as television episodes? If they're done or near done, they'll release them as episodes.

-----
    Never underestimate the power of stupidity, of the one and of the many.
    Words to|live by

Quote Originally Posted by BCVM22 View Post
    They've made it pretty clear that they aren't going to consider themselves beholden to any existing EU material. You should prepare for the significant possibility that significant portions and elements of the EU could very well be rendered inert sooner rather than later.

See previous response. People who hold on to the EU as gospel should have put themselves on notice the second these new movies were announced, because there was never any way that the production of these new films was going to end up limited entirely or even partially by piles of novels, games and comic books.

Books...?

If they're already partially or completely finished as television episodes? If they're done or near done, they'll release them as episodes.
    Maybe so, I still think it is dumb and more than likely wont see them. Not a real loss in my opinion.

Books are a possibility. They did something similar with Smallville. More episodes were written but the cast wanted out so they wrote different ones to end the show at 10 seasons.

B
    I like to breed to Pokemon (except IV breeding, i have no interest in it)*. If you have any requests please PM or email me and I will see what I can do to help you. I also have TONS of items.**

Email: pokemonmaster2385@gmail.com (please include "username" @ serebii forums in the heading)
    *I can breed all Pokemon in X&Y now.*
    **Items are in BW & B2W2 only**

Pokemon Y friend code: 3797 - 7081 - 3314
    Pokemon X friend code: 4296 - 4159 - 0229

Maybe so, I still think it is dumb and more than likely wont see them. Not a real loss in my opinion.
    Boycotting the films because they aren't going to consider themselves chained to material that was never going to be in the picture anyway once these films were birthed is questionable fan-logic, at best. Regardless, I think they'll probably still be okay sans your patronage.

Books are a possibility. They did something similar with Smallville. More episodes were written but the cast wanted out so they wrote different ones to end the show at 10 seasons.
    That's completely different, particularly if episodes of what would have been Season 6 of The Clone Wars are already written and voiced and animated to varying extents.

Smallville didn't have another season in on-camera production when it ended, and the "Season 11" comic books are DC's gateway drug to try and get fans of that show into buying comic books while also serving as a high-profile vehicle for their digital comics initiatives. None of those are the case here.

-----
    Words to|live by

Quote Originally Posted by TheWatersGreatGuardian View Post
    Doesn't work if they are throwing out the EU. Palpatine did both of those things in the EU

and please no flashbacks
    Well it has to have a villan right? And so far all sith have had a connection to palpatine, I doubt this would be any different.
    #AlphaSapphire
    I am one of Jehovah's Witnesses.
    If you have a question about my religion, or wish to discuss my religion, the Bible, or anything related to this topic, feel free to PM or VM me, take a look at the information in my profile or visit our official website.

Boycotting the films because they aren't going to consider themselves chained to material that was never going to be in the picture anyway once these films were birthed is questionable fan-logic, at best. Regardless, I think they'll probably still be okay sans your patronage.
    I am sure they will be ok as well.

I enjoyed the movies and always have, but IMO, the books are better (I am talking about the original 3). I read from there and have immensely enjoyed every book after that. The characters are amazing and so are the stories. For Disney to ignore those stories completely and just kind of plop something in the middle of the already established EU, is not ok, again IMO.

B
    I like to breed to Pokemon (except IV breeding, i have no interest in it)*. If you have any requests please PM or email me and I will see what I can do to help you. I also have TONS of items.**

Email: pokemonmaster2385@gmail.com (please include "username" @ serebii forums in the heading)

Quote Originally Posted by ansem the wise View Post
    Well it has to have a villan right? And so far all sith have had a connection to palpatine, I doubt this would be any different.
    Plenty of Sith don't have a connection to Palpatine. So i would rather them go in a completely different direction. Plus why does it have to be Sith? I would love to see a Thrawn-type villian.

and I am not boycotting it because I am that big of a fan, but I am royally ticked that they are throwing out all the great stories contained in the EU after ROTJ

"What good is it for a man to gain the world, yet forfeit his soul?"

For Disney to ignore those stories completely and just kind of plop something in the middle of the already established EU, is not ok
    but I am royally ticked that they are throwing out all the great stories contained in the EU after ROTJ
    Please. Let's be reasonable here. Would you have them not do something in a movie - which have always been and always will be G-canon - because something similar to it was already done or covered in Truce at Bakura or the Yuuzhan Vong War or will eventually be addressed in the Legacy era? That's what you're saying - that you'd rather the primary canonical source for the franchise end up chained to what's been done in C-canon over the last few decades.

It's simply not reasonable to expect that in making films covering the time post-RotJ that they would go out of their way and make life unnecessarily more difficult for themselves by having to work around that much EU material. Can't have it both ways.

-----
    Words to|live by

As long as they don't completely contradict it. Like killing Han as someone mentioned. That would completely invalidate the whole EU

Not to say they have to or that they will, but would that really be the end of the world? Particularly if it's well done and serves a significant purpose within the story and the universe? Would you reject it on the sole notion that it would contradict existing EU material?

That's the point here and I think that's the sort of preparations that should be made by people who are so invested in the EU as to have already decided to not see these films on the sole basis that they [might/will] contradict existing EU material. Because almost invariably, there will be contradictions to some degree, and even more invariably at least one major EU element will likely be contradicted in the process. Are people prepared to really take up arms and call for blood solely as a result of that, regardless of how it's introduced, executed and dealt with in the new context?

-----
    Words to|live by

Please. Let's be reasonable here. Would you have them not do something in a movie - which have always been and always will be G-canon - because something similar to it was already done or covered in Truce at Bakura or the Yuuzhan Vong War or will eventually be addressed in the Legacy era? That's what you're saying - that you'd rather the primary canonical source for the franchise end up chained to what's been done in C-canon over the last few decades.

It's simply not reasonable to expect that in making films covering the time post-RotJ that they would go out of their way and make life unnecessarily more difficult for themselves by having to work around that much EU material. Can't have it both ways.
    Not to say they have to or that they will, but would that really be the end of the world? Particularly if it's well done and serves a significant purpose within the story and the universe? Would you reject it on the sole notion that it would contradict existing EU material?

That's the point here and I think that's the sort of preparations that should be made by people who are so invested in the EU as to have already decided to not see these films on the sole basis that they [might/will] contradict existing EU material. Because almost invariably, there will be contradictions to some degree, and even more invariably at least one major EU element will likely be contradicted in the process. Are people prepared to really take up arms and call for blood solely as a result of that, regardless of how it's introduced, executed and dealt with in the new context?
    My complaint isnt small contradiction but rather big ones. I am an avid fan of Harry Potter, I have read all 7 book over a dozen times. I also enjoy the movies but there are small things here and there that do not fit with what is in the books. It bothers me, but it is a small detail and I can understand why they did that, since it is hard to cram and 700+ page book into a 2.5 hour movie.

The same goes for the series A Song of Ice and Fire and the subsequent HBO TV show adaptation Game of Thrones. The books are incredibly complex, full of names and places. For the show to work and exist inside a 10 one hour long episodes, certain details had to left out. Again this makes sense.

I get they arent pulling from the EU, I wish they would but whatever. Small changes happen and are necessary as I just pointed out. Ignoring the EU and doing something that could possibly invalidate it, not cool. I am not saying that have to be chained to anything, they could go outside the EU and still have it be relevant to the entire Star Wars universe. They could even put it 60-70 years in the future, way past the current scope of the books, have and OG story, tie in the EU and then kill off everyone.

B

Well if it is something like a major character such as luke, han, or leia dying where it invalidates the ENTIRE eu then yes, I would be pretty mad.

Ignoring the EU and doing something that could possibly invalidate it, not cool. I am not saying that have to be chained to anything, they could go outside the EU and still have it be relevant to the entire Star Wars universe. They could even put it 60-70 years in the future, way past the current scope of the books, have and OG story, tie in the EU and then kill off everyone.
    Okay, but why is it "not cool"? We've established over and over again how it's simply the nature of the beast. You understand how they can't and shouldn't consider themselves beholden to existing material but then you complain "not cool" if and when they do make a major change. Again, you can't have it both ways.

And 60-70 years beyond the current EU is also covered - is it going to be "not cool" if they do something that completely invalidates Star Wars: Legacy too?

Fictional franchises introduce retcons big and small day in and day out. I'm not sure why people are up in arms about Star Wars potentially doing the same, if you can even call a franchise's primary medium overwriting a bunch of secondary media, some of it decades old, a "retcon".

-----
    Words to|live by

Okay, but why is it "not cool"? We've established over and over again how it's simply the nature of the beast. You understand how they can't and shouldn't consider themselves beholden to existing material but then you complain "not cool" if and when they do make a major change. Again, you can't have it both ways.

And 60-70 years beyond the current EU is also covered - is it going to be "not cool" if they do something that completely invalidates Star Wars: Legacy too?

Fictional franchises introduce retcons big and small day in and day out. I'm not sure why people are up in arms about Star Wars potentially doing the same, if you can even call a franchise's primary medium overwriting a bunch of secondary media, some of it decades old, a "retcon".
    I feel that there should be a certain level of respect. Star Wars is arguably one the of the biggest franchises in the world. Movies, books, comics, tv shows have all established a certain order, why not stick with it? why not keep both EU and non-EU fans happy?

and as far as I understand it there isnt anything that is 60-70 years beyond the events of episodes I,II & III. All the timelines I can find go up to about 45 years ABY (after the battle of Yavin)

B

They have established an order, and in that order, the movies have always been the highest level of canon. And as for keeping fans happy, I can't prove this, but I would bet that far, far more people have seen/will see the films old and new than will ever be exposed to EU material.

And as for the future of the Star Wars universe, Star Wars: Legacy picks up in 144 ABY, I believe.

-----
    Words to|live by

They have established an order, and in that order, the movies have always been the highest level of canon. And as for keeping fans happy, I can't prove this, but I would bet that far, far more people have seen/will see the films old and new than will ever be exposed to EU material.

And as for the future of the Star Wars universe, Star Wars: Legacy picks up in 144 ABY, I believe.
    Fair enough. Of course the movies are more popular but why not appease both?

B

I never said there's anything outright stopping them from appeasing both or that they won't. The point I've been making this whole time is that if they have to prioritize one over the other in the name of putting a story on screen, which do you suppose wins out?

-----
    Words to|live by

I never said there's anything outright stopping them from appeasing both or that they won't. The point I've been making this whole time is that if they have to prioritize one over the other in the name of putting a story on screen, which do you suppose wins out?
    They don't have to prioritize. They could just as easily come up with a new story that appeases the EU and its fans as they could one that completely discredits the EU. It is a simple choice. As far as we know they have only said they are using all new stories. Whether or not it satisfies the EU will be seen when the movie is released.

In all reality it could have nothing to do with the EU, stand completely alone and still be a compelling story.

We shall see.

B

PS - 500th post! Woot!

yall are pretty serious about star wars

i think the new ones will be interesting and i will probably see them
    life is
    a game

144 ABY??? That is almost 100 years after the Fate of the Jedi EU series (currently the latest series). In that case, anything is fair game. Although I don't see how Luke, Han, and Leia could all still be alive :P
    Last edited by TheWatersGreatGuardian; 14th March 2013 at 7:45 AM.

Although I don't see how Luke, Han, and Leia could all still be alive :P
    They aren't. Luke's descendant Cade Skywalker is the central figure of the first series, while Han and Leia's great-times-however-many-granddaughter Ania Solo will feature in the second series.

-----
    Words to|live by

I never finished reading Cade's story. I should probably go back and revisit it.

They aren't. Luke's descendant Cade Skywalker is the central figure of the first series, while Han and Leia's great-times-however-many-granddaughter Ania Solo will feature in the second series.
    interesting. Ive heard of Cade Skywalker but I thought he was in the comics, not books. Oh well, sounds interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by moot View Post
    yall are pretty serious about star wars

i think the new ones will be interesting and i will probably see them
    Slightly...

B

I've actually found a plothole all on my own that relates to episodes 3 and onwards. How did Anakin/Darth Vader know that Luke was his son if he wasn't there to see him be born and named. And if he found out through using some mental connection/force tactic when he was close to Luke, why didn't he know that Leia was his daughter? That never made sense to me.
    My FC is 1506 8504 1063

Pokemon Black team: The sixth spot is for whatever I feel like using at the time.

Looking for:

Pm me If you have any of these and I'll see if we can work something out.

My favorite Pokemon:

Shinies:

A man once told me I can't have my cake and eat it too. I then proceeded to eat not only my cake but his as well.

What if the stickers are the only things made in China?

Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 LastLast