Thread: Do you think there's always a way to achieve success in life?

Default Do you think there's always a way to achieve success in life?

So. I've been doing a lot of thinking after I just had a discussion with one of my friends on facebook. Let's say his name is Jack, k? Jack is a very positive, self motivated dude that posts self motivating and positive statuses all the time. Normally, I don't mind. One of them sort of struck the wrong cord with me though. It went something like this,

"To achieve success in life, it all falls on you, how badly you want it, and stopping at nothing to achieve it."

The reason why it sort of struck a nerve is because I feel like it implies that anyone who is not successful in life just didn't try hard enough, weren't ambitious enough, or didn't grab life by the nuts. So, I asked him, is everyone that's poor working under class just not ambitious then? He honestly answered me and said there's never an excuse why a person can't achieve their dreams, and it always boils down to the choices you make. Is it just me...or does that seem kinda classist almost? Granted I know some people make stupid choices and are where they are in life because of them. Yet, to assume that everyone that's given up on their dreams of success is because of their choices, and not life circumstances? That seems so judgemental. To assume that success is always the choice of the individual is to level off judgement on large swathes of people. It doesn't seem fair, because you never know what someone has gone through, you don't know what kind of life they've had, or what kind of predicament they're in.

So, I guess my question is, is there always, no excuses, a way out of poverty? A way to achieve success? Or do some people really have the short end of the stick and they're basically screwed? I think that most times there's a way out and a way to accomplish your dreams, but it seems classist, judgemental, and unfair to say there is always a way and if you can't or don't find it, then that's on you.
    Last edited by Crudelis ventus; 30th March 2013 at 3:53 PM.

I'll sum up my entire point of view with a quote from Mao Zedong: "Life is all about choices. The ones you don't make tend to be the least and most important."
    ~Currently own all gen 6 games, Old-school DS: (4597-0364-2569) New-school/Battlin' DS: (4055-5677-3071), current 6th gen UU record: 56W/0L/4D
    NXT fan, non-OU tier supporter, speed-breeder, and steam enthusiast.
        Spoiler:- Current Gen 6 shinies:

So if I'm a poor bangladeshi tribesman that dies of parasite infection and malnutrition before ever accomplishing my dreams, I just didn't make the right choices at the right time?
    Last edited by Crudelis ventus; 30th March 2013 at 3:54 PM.

I'm saying that there are choices we can make and choices we can't.
    ~Currently own all gen 6 games, Old-school DS: (4597-0364-2569) New-school/Battlin' DS: (4055-5677-3071), current 6th gen UU record: 56W/0L/4D
    NXT fan, non-OU tier supporter, speed-breeder, and steam enthusiast.
        Spoiler:- Current Gen 6 shinies:

It's about 80% luck and 20% skill.

There are decisions you can make that can definitely cinch it, though.

Only by changing your definition of success and keeping low standards for it.

Which I basically would recommend anyway.
    3DS FC: 3926-4256-2399
    Ingame name: Coatlicue

The usual links

I do, but to a reasonable limit. Obviously a Bangladeshi tribesman probably won't become a self-made billionaire, but the definition of success isn't "the American dream" - it's whatever makes you happy. And I think it's perfectly viable for a tribesman to build a house, start a family, and live a happy life even if he ends up dying from malnutrition soon after.

The trap that we get into is that we define success as being the American dream, so we're always striving for something that most of us can never attain and it makes us feel unfulfilled and miserable.

It is possible to be successful if you give yourself reasonable goals that are slightly out of reach, but not impossible to grasp.

In these days it's pretty much luck if you get a job and keep it. No, success is not always achievable.
    No matter how hard you try...
    Just take a look at stuff like YouTube. All the wrong people are successful there, just for making a Harlem shake video. When a original video creator comes - not much views.

It is all luck... Skill is just some ancient thing now...
    (THE WORLD SUCKS)
    Success in life in my opinion is being able to survive easily, have enough money to pay a unexpected bill ( leaky roof for example) and supply a decent amount of food. Oh and a home ( obviously).

It depends what your definition of success is. For some people it's being super rich and famous and for others it's about stability and a peaceful life.

It's like Zorocario said, it is highly dependable on what kind of person you are, or how realistic you are.

Of course there is, so long as you keep believing that you can make it.

I just heard this one somewhere, Victory comes to those who believe in it the most... And those who believe in it the longest.

Yes ambition plays a big role in success, but there are some things we can't control and those tend to have the biggest impact on our lives. There are several people who have come from nothing and are now millionaires if not billionaires, yes they had ambition to fuel their success, but in most cases they were lucky enough to have an opportunity to achieve their dreams that most of us don't get. (what that is you have to ask them)