Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 118

Thread: Why is Ash still ten? Discuss here.

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Where the Seagulls Cry XD
    Posts
    191

    Default Why is Ash still ten? Discuss here.

    I've been wondering why has Ash remained ten throughout the series in general. Sure, most likely the writers didn't want to age him because they wanted him to stay young and untainted as a character. That way, they wouldn't screw with the younger audiences that way. Also, as I read online, it was for money.

    I don't like that.

    Come on, let's get creative with this. Maybe in the animeverse time passes slower? Let's discuss this here. PLEASE REMAIN APPROPRIATE. And yes, maybe if Ash ages, the universe will come to an end :P

    So, yeah. Talk.

    Kolkolkolkolkol...
    Jesus loved us and he even died for our sake. Always remember that God loves you no matter who you are.†
    Proud fan of Umineko no Naku Koro ni and Higurashi no Naku Koro ni

        Spoiler:- Credit:

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Somewhere in Brazil
    Posts
    4,071

    Default

    Someone caught Dialga and time stopped flowing, that's the only explanation.

    (it's hard to think of a reason because even the writers didn't, they just want him young forever so the new kids can relate to him)
    3DS Friend Code: 3582-9622-5627

    "Oh, and here is my grandson. …Erm, what was his name now?"

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Bionis
    Posts
    9,332

    Default

    Ash is immortal.     Spoiler:

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    North West England
    Posts
    22

    Default

    I know people came up with crazy ideas that ash fell into a comma after the spearow attack and the world is all his imagination, and thats why it seems all so child friendly and and perfect with ash being the centre to everything. But i think it's because ash became such a big selling point, if he grew, he'd get too strong and they would have to make new characters, but people wouldn't know these new characters and wouldn't watch the anime because of that. Infact ash was meant to grow up into red, originally, and grow up from his slight arrogance and immaturity through his determination, but, like i said, it's about money for pokemon, i mean, they couldn't continue at all if they went broke, could they?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    DK IS AN EPIC POSTER D8
    Posts
    692

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pokemonsquared View Post
    Ash is immortal.     Spoiler:
    Psh, we all know that's not the truth. D8
    He sacrificed 99 percent of his brain to be immortal. Explains why he nevers wins a league. :P
    MMing: Espurr, 90 eggs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kutie Pie View Post
    Good. You can never understand the mindset of a woman.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    peterborough - uk
    Posts
    23

    Default

    I say that in the pokemon world you celebrate your tenth birthday with a new pokemon and once you've got it you stay ten for ever and ever and ever...
    even the adults are ten just really tall ten year olds.
    my favorite pokemon!

    current shiny's I've caught traded from others
    shiny's I want theres a lot

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The front seat of a VolkSWAGen
    Posts
    890

    Default

    Because a 30-year old man with manboobs and an electric rat wanting to be the very best would be scary for little kids and all of us.
    But you have to admit, for a part-time Nazi

    He's freaking hot.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Bionis
    Posts
    9,332

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TeamRocketGrunt View Post
    Because a 30-year old man with manboobs and an electric rat wanting to be the very best would be scary for little kids and all of us.
    OMG Peter griffen/home Simpson should totally be the next protagonists.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Death City
    Posts
    411

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TeamRocketGrunt View Post
    Because a 30-year old man with manboobs and an electric rat wanting to be the very best would be scary for little kids and all of us.
    TRG speaks the truth. XD

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Somewhere in Brazil
    Posts
    4,071

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TeamRocketGrunt View Post
    Because a 30-year old man with manboobs and an electric rat wanting to be the very best would be scary for little kids and all of us.
    Well, they could always ditch him for a new, smarter main character to avoid the eternal-ten-years-old problem.
    3DS Friend Code: 3582-9622-5627

    "Oh, and here is my grandson. …Erm, what was his name now?"

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The front seat of a VolkSWAGen
    Posts
    890

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ver-mont View Post
    Well, they could always ditch him for a new, smarter main character to avoid the eternal-ten-years-old problem.
    That is true....
    But you have to admit, for a part-time Nazi

    He's freaking hot.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    4,193

    Default

    To make the other characters look better in relation to him.

    Fighting for real American turtles everywhere. Pro-Turtle since 6/30/13

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    DK IS AN EPIC POSTER D8
    Posts
    692

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pokemonsquared View Post
    OMG Peter griffen/home Simpson should totally be the next protagonists.
    ...What kind of Pokemon would they have? :O Homer Simpson would have Snorlax, I am so calling him having Snorlax! D8 They would have eatting contests. :3
    MMing: Espurr, 90 eggs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kutie Pie View Post
    Good. You can never understand the mindset of a woman.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Cerulean City
    Posts
    7,598

    Default

    He's used to stay with the new viewers. If he followed the 90's kids. He would have been much older.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    164

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Elegantensue View Post
    But i think it's because ash became such a big selling point, if he grew, he'd get too strong and they would have to make new characters, but people wouldn't know these new characters and wouldn't watch the anime because of that. Infact ash was meant to grow up into red, originally, and grow up from his slight arrogance and immaturity through his determination, but, like i said, it's about money for pokemon, i mean, they couldn't continue at all if they went broke, could they?
    /congratulate for solving the dilemma of the universe.
    Seriously this makes way too much sense.
    hehe

  16. #16
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Somewhere in Brazil
    Posts
    4,071

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shinytaifood View Post
    /congratulate for solving the dilemma of the universe.
    Seriously this makes way too much sense.
    I don't really think so. They keep his age intact exactly because they think the audience is constantly renewing itself and new kids must still be able to relate to Ash; it wouldn't make any difference for them to change the main character, going by this theory, because the new kids don't even know Ash.
    3DS Friend Code: 3582-9622-5627

    "Oh, and here is my grandson. …Erm, what was his name now?"

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    my house
    Posts
    6,170

    Default

    Because they need eye candy that never changes for 7-10 year old girls. :P
    3DS Friend Code: 1306-5187-6204

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    360

    Default

    OK!
    This has a reason behind it. Ash is still ten because of the fact that all the money that pokemon made came by young kids. The idea was that Ash would grow and become a Red. Ken and Satoshi wanted Ash to conquer the world bring justice and beat the bad teams (Rocket, Magma, Aqua...) All of this with the help of pokemon. The reason Ash did not become a Red is because that the companies like Nintendo wanted him to stay t 10. That is because as I have said all the money came by ''kids'' (people 6 to 10 or 8 or 10). If they made Ash grow they would loose those kids. What Satoshi and Ken did is that they "hired" Hidenori to do what they wanted to do with Ash in the form of a Manga. That is how the mangas where born and why Ash is still ten. I have not covered half the information. But this is a video for all the details: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jflYQC6X4o

    RAWK ON
    Last edited by Necro101; 4th November 2012 at 1:51 AM.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Alto Mare, Johto
    Posts
    193

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja Bulbasaur View Post
    PLEASE REMAIN APPROPRIATE.
    ^this=golden.

    Ok, so a couple things to point out; 1. it was only the narrator who stated Ash's "age". 2. More importantly, Ash's maturity and skill level changed drastically, moreso than any other region. Therefore, despite references to past Sinnoh adventures via Dawn and Cynthia, the Unova saga can be interpreted as an alternate reality. Furthermore, I'm inclined to believe that people in the Pokemon world do indeed age slower, or at least remain in a youthful state for an undetermined period of time. This appearance does not affect their ability to mature mentally.
    I am the current leader of Save Our Voice Actors, a Pokemon fan group supporting the voice actors in the anime dubbed by 4Kids (seasons 1-8). Our goal is to provide The Pokemon Company international with encouraging feedback in support of returning the main cast members. If you're interested, please visit us at facebook.com/saveourvoiceactors

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    4,193

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bluelatios* View Post
    1. it was only the narrator who stated Ash's "age".
    The narrator knows what he's talking about. His credibility is what makes it canon.

    Unova saga can be interpreted as an alternate reality.
    No. u.u

    Fighting for real American turtles everywhere. Pro-Turtle since 6/30/13

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    outside of the walls
    Posts
    782

    Default

    Why, it is all Hanyuu's fault, obviously.

    But in all due seriousness, I believe it is because if they aged him in the story, there would be either a. complaints about the character of a children's anime being 15 or b. the complain about the time gap because, "OMG HE'S 13 AND HE SHOULD 17 ASDFGHJ". People will never be satisfied with his age, so the writers were just like, "Screw it!" and kept Ash the same age, because children would be able to interact and understand his personality better because he's 10. All the same, many of us are still outraged at his stupidity, while others adore it...

        Spoiler:- Some Things:

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    396

    Default

    Why is Ash still ten? why not? it's an anime, they do that sometimes.

    .: 3DS FC: 0490-5034-9209 :.
    .: DeviantART :: Graphics Thread :: Art Thread :: Art Shop :.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    At south of Kalos.
    Posts
    2,196

    Default

    @Ninja Bulbasaur, @Vermont, @pokemonsquarred, @mudkipz_and_axewz_, @Terra Brabdford, and other, all of you are wrong.

    Ash's story is a plot black hole.

    Exactly, because Ash's story doesn't appear to get an ending, they're intend to make that each "series" are different stories of the same character. The pokemon series isn't from the ones that watch the series during 15 years (they know that tthey exist but isn't the case). The series is for a target audience between 6-14. This audience is the audience who majority sees the show, in Japan and anywhere in the world.

    That doesn't mean that people of other ages can't show Pokemon? No, of course. You can have 70 years and watch Pokemon just fine. This isn't like some types of films that splicity says that children with less than 13 years aren't recommended to watch the show. But if you watch this show you must now who is the real target of this show.

    Because this, I see all the sense that Ash is now still 10. Specially I love when the series itself reveals that Ash is still 10 because I can think that all debates around Ash's age can end. Because who said that Ash is older in AG and DP isn't true. Ash since episode 1 until now is 10 years old. The idea of Ash aging was crapped in the time of the Kanto League!!!.

    And because Ash is still ten, all the older characters are still ten. TR will have the adebut's age, Dawn is 10, May is 10, Misty is 10, Brock is 15 if you believe in some magazine, Iris is around 10 and Cialn is around 14-15.

    And the tineline of the series doesn't make sense... since AG started.
    Last edited by Eievui-Nymphia; 4th November 2012 at 11:47 AM.
    I think that Pokemon is beautiful and has its charm


    Serebii, Bulbagarden

    Note: I decided to not post post that had cause hate to me anymore. If you see one, please PM me and I will delete the moment I'm aware and I'm online.

    I need to take a break in the anime forum because these forum bored me.


  24. #24
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Smash Run
    Posts
    6,706

    Default

    Maybe because the writers decided to keep him that way to help advertise younger children?


  25. #25
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    my house
    Posts
    6,170

    Default

    Too bad they have female cameos. Then we could just say Ash is skipping world lines >:O
    3DS Friend Code: 1306-5187-6204

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •