Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Why is Ash still ten? Discuss here.

Because he's a fictional character. Fiction knows no laws that happen in real life.

Quote Originally Posted by pokeguru View Post
    Because he's a fictional character. Fiction knows no laws that happen in real life.
    Ok, Anime mechanics. Follow-up question to the one the topic asks. If Ash is still supposed to be ten, then why was he redesigned to look older in this Gen?
    A Winner Is You!!!

If you spend too much time thinking about a thing, you'll never get it done.
    - Bruce Lee

The worst thing you can do in any business is blame the customer.
    - Willie 'Jack' Degel

Quote Originally Posted by SBaby View Post
    Ok, Anime mechanics. Follow-up question to the one the topic asks. If Ash is still supposed to be ten, then why was he redesigned to look older in this Gen?
    He wasn't designed to look older, just redesigned. Some people even think he looks younger.

98% of the teenage population has died smoking pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this in your signature.
    Good old natural selection...

It's a cartoon -_- In cartoons characters never age, besides its fictional and doesn't tie with reality what so ever. Look at Family Guy, Stewies still a baby but it's been on air over 10 years. The Simpsons, it's been on air over 20 years but Maggie, Bart, and Lisa are still the same age. Same goes for Pokemon, Ash will never age.
    My Soundcloud

My ReverbNation

Music & Musicians Alliance Club

Well it's a cartoon...

He also lives through electrical shock, fire, massive amounts of water, falling down cliffs, so...he's immortal and his body is apparently very...tough?

Quote Originally Posted by ShinyUmbreon189 View Post
    It's a cartoon -_- In cartoons characters never age.
    Actually, alot of animated characters age. It happens all the time in cartoons and Anime.

Quote Originally Posted by Honeyichigo View Post
    He wasn't designed to look older, just redesigned. Some people even think he looks younger.
    No. His face definitely makes him look older.
    A Winner Is You!!!

- Bruce Lee

- Willie 'Jack' Degel

Anime characters don't age unless a timeskip happens at a certain point of the story, but since there were no timeskips in Pokemon: Ash's still 10.
    IGN: Carlos
    FC: 0903-2783-6541

[CENTER]SIGNATURE SOON...[/COLOR]

While meddling with all the time-hopping and space-distorting legendaries in the movies, something somewhere went horribly wrong. In the end, it resulted in Ash's timeline going all wonky, which prevented any of the characters from ever aging again, including himself. :T

But in all honesty, like most people said, the show creators just want kids to relate Ash and for the most part milk the series to death.

The only way I can see Ash aging is if Bianca and Iris make a cameo after BW as Juniper's lab assistant and the Pokemon League champion, respectively. They should be 2 years older by then, so therefore Ash should age as well. (unless they never make a cameo in later generations)

NORMAL GROUND FIGHTING ROCK STEEL BUG DRAGON FLYING GHOST POISON

Which will you choose?

Image not drawn by me. Editing done on MS Paint. Any help on turning this into a proper sig would be greatly appreciated.

I don't like it that Ash is 10 instead of 25.

Quote Originally Posted by ludiloco View Post
    Anime characters don't age unless a timeskip happens at a certain point of the story, but since there were no timeskips in Pokemon: Ash's still 10.
    Gohan aged gradually throughout the DBZ series. So that rule isn't always in place.

I guess the point I'm really trying to make here is, who in the Anime has actually said that he's still ten?
    Last edited by SBaby; 28th November 2012 at 9:14 PM.
    A Winner Is You!!!

- Bruce Lee

- Willie 'Jack' Degel

Quote Originally Posted by SBaby View Post
    Gohan aged gradually throughout the DBZ series. So that rule isn't always in place.

I guess the point I'm really trying to make here is, who in the Anime has actually said that he's still ten?
    First episode of Best Wishes/Black and White, the narrator states something a long the lines of "10 year old Ash Ketchum"

Credit goes to the very talented Skiyomi for this awesome Banner!!!!

I claimed Palpitoad.....yay???

just animations no more.. conan of 1 to 600 same age

I think after 5 regions, it wouldn't be out of the question to have him age a year at least? nope. Well anime logic doesn't apply so he can stay 10 forever, and go to 365 leagues and still be 10.

The World God Only knows

Guys, have you even read the first post?

It's like you just see the thread title and go saying what everyone already knows.

Here, see:

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja Bulbasaur View Post
    I've been wondering why has Ash remained ten throughout the series in general. Sure, most likely the writers didn't want to age him because they wanted him to stay young and untainted as a character. That way, they wouldn't screw with the younger audiences that way. Also, as I read online, it was for money.

I don't like that.

Come on, let's get creative with this. Maybe in the animeverse time passes slower? Let's discuss this here. PLEASE REMAIN APPROPRIATE. And yes, maybe if Ash ages, the universe will come to an end :P

So, yeah. Talk.
    This thread was supposed to be for speculating in-universe reasons for him not to age.

Like... aura prevents him from aging or something.

3DS Friend Code: 3582-9622-5627

because hes a cartoon
    Team X:

Why? Because the shows is a success and they can make more money keeping the same character (with the same mascot). In other words, they want to keep Ash and Pikachu.

The reason that many of you used to think that Ash was older in DP is because Ash doesn't look 10 in any of the series, starting from OS and continuing from AG, DP; BW... To be more precise, May and Dawn, who are confirmed 10 by the narrator doesn't look 10 in any way. To be more precise, the two girls (specially May) is more credible by her looks that they're are 14 than 10. And 14 is possibly the age of Bianca* in the anime canon (and looks older than May and Dawn because it's older)

*Bianca's anime age hasn't confirmed but we'll know that Bianca is way older than 10.

Ho-oh gave Ash eternal happyness in the first episode, thats why Ash might be 10 forever?

I know this dont count but in the Pikachu short Ash celebrate its 1 year anniversary with Pikachu ( In the 2000 movie)
    so yeah.. I stick with eternal happyness
    >>PLEASE DO NOT PM ME, MY 3DS FRIEND LIST IS FULL!<<

A. Ash is still ten. Misty is still ten. May is still ten. Dawn is still ten. If we are to believe the character profiles featured in a Japanese magazine many years ago, Brock is 15. The ages of other main characters have not been revealed.
    descri
    Also, the characters in this series are immune to aging. Some people will try to create their own fictional timeline of the series, often using such throwaway lines as Misty commenting on one year passing since they first arrived in Viridian City, or Ash throwing an anniversary party of first meeting Pikachu. These are throwaway details, not actually meant to have any weight behind them regarding the passage of time in the anime. Misty’s line was to convey nostalgia (plus, note that her comment was only in the dub dialogue), for instance. Others try to calculate the number of episodes as equivalent to a day or week passing, which is also false.

As a standard formula, memorize: “Time passes, but no one ages”. It’s weird, but it’s not like this is the only anime who uses it.
    Source: http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthr...G*-Feb-19-2012 aka, the rules of the board.

//CLOSED
    Encyclopika's Fic of the Moment:

Encyclopika:
    Made the banner
    Is a GIRL. >.>;;
    Has a deviantART account and a Tumblr
    Is on Fanfiction.net.
    Need a moveset for a specific Pokemon for a specific contest? PM me!
    Don't reply to my infractions. It's not gonna change anything.

Random friend requests do nothing. Let's actually talk first. >_<

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345