Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Why is Ash still ten? Discuss here.

Quote Originally Posted by Moonlight Absol View Post
    Why, it is all Hanyuu's fault, obviously.

But in all due seriousness, I believe it is because if they aged him in the story, there would be either a. complaints about the character of a children's anime being 15 or b. the complain about the time gap because, "OMG HE'S 13 AND HE SHOULD 17 ASDFGHJ". People will never be satisfied with his age, so the writers were just like, "Screw it!" and kept Ash the same age, because children would be able to interact and understand his personality better because he's 10. All the same, many of us are still outraged at his stupidity, while others adore it...
    This. The unpleasable fanbase would revolt in one way or another if they were to age Ash, or swap him out for a new guy, or whatever. It's really best for them to stick to what works with the main section of the audience than try to please the fringe fans.

98% of the teenage population has died smoking pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this in your signature.
    Good old natural selection...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgRBsrBvej4

Here this video should anwser your question

its nothing bad. it has good info
    My team in Black 2 Emboar,elektross,gigalith,lucario,Sigalyph and Black kyruem

I really fail to see why this is such a big issue. So many other animated shows do it, keep characters the same age and yet still reference the passage of time. It is really crazy and a discussion point that Pokémon does it?

Each saga isn't an alternate timeline. It's not a coma. It's just common occurances with animated shows

I guess the writers just don't feel like changing his appearance.
    1st X run:

Maybe he fell in a hot tub time machine, or like previously said by others it would be a pain to change his appearance, I think if he wasn't immortal he'd be 26 now

3DS XL FC for Pokemon Y 2595-0724-5772 IGN SmeargleRocks
    Shiny Number 1268

I can offer gen6 cloning services, I will only clone what I don't have as glitch cloning can take awhile and be stressful

Self caught shinies on Y 24
    first successfull (and accidental) MM Shelmet timid 31/1/19/31/31/31 4:25 pm EST 4/14/14
    Shiny XD Gale of Darkness Zubat caught September 17th 2012 @ 4:24 pm EST cave PokeSpot

FUC* ALL HACKERS!!!
    ALL Gen6 6IV Event pokemon are hacked

Here's an explanation I read on IMDb:

"The internal battery died; all time-based events have stopped."
    † I am a Christian and proud of it! Copy and paste this into your sig if you are too.†

Generally, this was supposed to have the users think up some creative ways for Ash to remain 10 in the animeverse, not IRL. Because we all know that IRL, Ash is ten for money. I was thinking of some creative ways for Ash to remain 10 in animeverse-wise. It's for fun. Unfortunetly, everyone keeps saying the same thing; Ash was supposed to be Red, but he's only made for money. This isn't to complain about the problem, it's just to goof off a bit and think up some ways.

I might have to close this thread if we can't stop acting like the money thing's an issue. Everyone, have fun.
    Last edited by Ninja Bulbasaur; 8th November 2012 at 3:30 AM.

Kolkolkolkolkol...
    Jesus loved us and he even died for our sake. Always remember that God loves you no matter who you are.†
    Proud fan of Umineko no Naku Koro ni and Higurashi no Naku Koro ni

Spoiler:- Credit:

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja Bulbasaur View Post
    I've been wondering why has Ash remained ten throughout the series in general. Sure, most likely the writers didn't want to age him because they wanted him to stay young and untainted as a character. That way, they wouldn't screw with the younger audiences that way. Also, as I read online, it was for money.

I don't like that.

Come on, let's get creative with this. Maybe in the animeverse time passes slower? Let's discuss this here. PLEASE REMAIN APPROPRIATE. And yes, maybe if Ash ages, the universe will come to an end :P

So, yeah. Talk.
    You took the words right out of my mouth... Though I would be all for a more mature Pokemon anime for the older fans on Cartoon Networks Adult Swim!
    DON'T LET OTHERS DEFINE YOU!
    YOU DEFINE YOURSELF!!
    Nintendo Network ID: Marbi-Z
    3DS Friend Code: 4596-9457-8718
    Platinum Team:
    Heartgold Team:
    White Team:
    White 2 Team:
    Alternates:
    I Love LOPUNNY and I Love GARDEVOIR too!
    Wanna battle and/or exchange 3DS Friend Codes?
    PM or VM me!

Maybe they're rounding down. (I'm assuming that only a few years have passed in the Anime.)
    † I am a Christian and proud of it! Copy and paste this into your sig if you are too.†

Ash was born on the 29th of February and leap years only occur every 28 years in the Pokéworld.

Though I do wonder if Ash did win the Indigo League (or Silver Conference if we're counting the whole original series), then returned for a couple of episodes to meet the new protagonist in Hoenn or something and revealed he was still 10, would anyone really care.

Because he isn't real.

Ash is still ten, because he's in a coma, duh!

No, seriously. I think it's because the show is directed towards a certain audience.
    3DS FC: 5043 1366 9389

I'll be gone on vacation until I get home sometime Sunday the 28th. Sorry guys.

Looking for that extremespeed linoone with adamant or jolly (when it comes out). If you're gonna get one, I'd appreciate it. I can clone it if needed.
    I'm willing to sell my soul for it

Quote Originally Posted by fer92 View Post
    @Terra Brabdford,
    Contradicts nothing that I said.

Fighting for real American turtles everywhere. Pro-Turtle since 6/30/13

Ash is ten because the tears of the Pokemon that brought him back to life/un-stoned him locked him at that age. 8)

Besides, who /wouldn't/ want to be ten forever? >no bills >no job >no mortgages >no women troubles >catch pokemon forever.

Because making Ash more mature or replacing him with a new protagonist would be a pretty ballsy move on their end. Almost like a certain person doing suicide in The Legend of Korra.

It's a common rookie mistake for people who play the metagame as well. Whenever they have something that's already good, they're afraid to try something new out of the fear that it will fail, and it's even worse when there's bigger risk in changing the formula drastically. It's also hard to come up with something new while keeping it as original as possible.

The anime people are afraid of the hate they'll get from changing things too much (and I don't blame them considering that half of the posts I read in the Anime Spoilers thread are filled with nothing but rage against the episodes and the possible future).

They made the BW playable trainers older (looking) than 10, so I don't get why the Pokemon anime should be any different. They could AT LEAST make Ash 12 years old (still not a teenager).

They way I see it, they ended DP with Ash 15/16, and then the narrarator simply misread his age at the beginning of BW
    "I'm the best there is at what I do"

Because the writers want to make all of us who were around when Season 1 came out to feel old. I wish i had ash's aging laws.
    http://www.xtmmo.com

You also have to consider that the anime hasn't had the greatest success transitioning between characters. If the Brock/Tracey switch had gone better, perhaps they would have been more willing to experiment in this area.

Quote Originally Posted by yoshi1001 View Post
    You also have to consider that the anime hasn't had the greatest success transitioning between characters. If the Brock/Tracey switch had gone better, perhaps they would have been more willing to experiment in this area.
    Uh, we had many more character replacements successful since then.

Quote Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
    Uh, we had many more character replacements successful since then.
    But Ash himself has never been replaced (discounting the Raikou special, which they could have used him for). The writers seem to feel some need to keep that element of continuity. Maybe they feel like switching the girl and the plausibility travel companion is enough, maybe they think there's not enough to be gained by putting a replacement in there.

Quote Originally Posted by yoshi1001 View Post
    Well, now we have the Brock/Cilan switch that seems to have been perfectly well-received, that's one step further from changing only the girl.

3DS Friend Code: 3582-9622-5627

Ash is like Peter Pan. He wouldn't grow old.
    Last edited by a_deasey31; 5th November 2012 at 12:56 PM.
    Life is a reciprocal exchange. To move forward, you have to give back. steven barbarich

Why is Satoshi's age so important to being with? Really, I don't care if he is 10, 20, 30 or 2000 years old.

It's so the anime still appeals to younger viewers. If ash was 24 as he should be, then few little kids would watch it. I wish i knew how he stayed 10 though that would be awesome. Sadly time moves on for everyone else.

Always watching. Always waiting. Never truly at peace in a realm of its own.
    Giratina will return....someday.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast